RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Trees Don't Grow to the Sky

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/05/18 6:31 pm    ::: Trees Don't Grow to the Sky Reply Reply with quote

It's a quote by the late financial columnist and television commentator Louis Rukeyser on the inevitability of down markets.

This morning, at 6AM Pacific, a half hour before the market opened on the largest single-session point drop in DOW history, on my photoblog, I published a post with that name and an image that I thought went very well with the quote. Basically it was a response to the downturn in the market last week with the thought that it might drop a little more this week. Picture worked. What the heck, I thought. See it here.

Shocked

Five minutes earlier, in light of the marriage in my mind of the Super Bowl result and certain factoids that will now be made clear, I'd timed a post with a sort of nothing burger image I took a few weeks ago. It's of a couple coming off the field at Beverly Hills High School. With their dog. Guy has a green sweater on. The dog is a dog. They're coming off a field. I'm telling ya, you can't make this shit up! And the dog has a football in its mouth. And oh, fuck yeah. The football is DEFLATED.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/06/18 2:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to sat whether the worst has passed. The futures have certainly recovered from down 2% to essentially unchanged, but this is neither time for panic nor major moves, unless you are a confirmed gambler. Just as my investments are worth less today than they were last Thursday, they are worth far more than they were a year ago. As long as the tree continues to grow, I won't get overly concerned about the occasional growth spurt or the necessary pruning.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/06/18 3:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Just as my investments are worth less today than they were last Thursday, they are worth far more than they were a year ago.

There were some crazy gains to start off 2018 on TOP of a year of crazy gains so right now we are still very deep into the house's money. But if we get down to 21K then it's all gone and then it's going to be money out of the paycheck that's being put away for retirement. I'm not worried and Lorde knows there's nothing you can do. I tried last year and almost cost us a fortune. Embarassed My inclination for a long time has been there's very little real upside and a tremendous downside. I was really wrong about the upside. I did not anticipate a Trump Bump. Just the opposite. I thought we'd have an immediate crash from the 20k+ levels. I was wrong as hell of course, but that was then and, like the man said, trees don't grow to the sky. I hadn't heard that expression last February after Trump's inauguration but I was instinctively thinking something very close to that just at those levels. But you can't day trade with a retirement account. At some point though it is recommended you reduce your exposure. There's a lot of people our age and older who are doing that right now and unfortunately they're probably going to continue. People are thinking the same thing. Market is way high, what really is there left to gain?

Good luck to us all. Shocked

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/11/18 1:31 pm    ::: Re: Trees Don't Grow to the Sky Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
here

Excellent shot, J.
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/13/18 3:05 am    ::: Re: Trees Don't Grow to the Sky Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
here

Excellent shot, J.

Thank you, Glenn. Quite enjoying a change in my main go-to lens.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: