RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NY Liberty to play in Westchester
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still looking for a buyer or no longer looking for a buyer? Two different stories. Who got it right? It would appear they are no longer looking and are just moving it to Westchester.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/22349804

Quote:
The Liberty will move most of their games out of the Garden this season and into an arena in suburban Westchester County, two people familiar with the situation told the AP. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because no official announcement has been made.

I guess we'll get our 6 games at MSG.

My guess as to what happened was whoever was about to buy the team either 1.) backed out last minute or 2.) the deal couldn't be finalized in time & the Liberty will be sold once the 2018 season is finished.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did anyone post this one yet?

@DougFeinberg
Quote:
APNewsBreak: James Dolan's group is keeping the @nyliberty. Sources tell AP most games will be played at westchester with a couple at Garden

Btw, please try to keep this thread purely for arena-related chat, so as not to double up on conversation already happening in the main NY Liberty thread.

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sooo where are those liberty fans that had all those horrible comments to say about Dolan ? Im sure you guys still feel it for all the stress and trauma he put you through , but at least he's keeping your team ! Right ? Embarassed

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Sooo where are those liberty fans that had all those horrible comments to say about Dolan ? Im sure you guys still feel it for all the stress and trauma he put you through , but at least he's keeping your team ! Right ? Embarassed

For now. Please don't give him any praise. He dragged this out most of the offseason and have had the Liberty fans on edge for 4 months now.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/06/18 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fans in Eastern CT can now get season tickets for two teams. Too bad I don't still travel to Norwalk on business all the time.

[trying to find a bright side here]

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/06/18 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Once I saw the information about playing in Westchester, I figured MSG was still involved. They have a relationship with that arena. I think worst case scenario, a new owner would have gone back to Prudential Center if they couldn't use the Garden. It sounds like the commute for most fans would be easier and you'd have the bigger arena. Higher rent cost could probably be offset by a few more fannies in the seats, and image-wise it would look better because you're in a big league facility.

My guess is that the team is still for sale. Management and the league had to do something now because scheduling and personnel decisions have to be made for the upcoming season.

PostPosted: 02/06/18 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dolan, Garden keeping WNBA’s Liberty for now

https://apnews.com/bf30b0dd914e4a5d877a80149016a2c9/APNewsBreak:-Dolan,-Garden-keeping-WNBA's-Liberty-for-now

Looks like Dolan & MSG are only keeping the Liberty until everything can be worked out with a new ownership group.

Quote:
“While we have had numerous interested parties, we are going to continue to operate the team until we identify the right new owner to steward this valuable New York franchise. We will have more to share soon,” Madison Square Garden Company President Andy Lustgarten said.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/06/18 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Nope. Fuck Jim Dolan. If I wanted a man to dick with my emotions and disregard anything I said, I'd use a dating app.

(now with spelling variations)
dab44lb

PostPosted: 02/06/18 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
RHW wrote:
toad455 wrote:
When you think that starting in 2019, 5 teams will be playing in arenas that seat under 10k. How much can the league really improve on attendance this way?

If the teams in small arenas can fill up its much better for the league to create a demand to go to games and I dont see why being in a giant space is a good thing?

But that's a big assumption. I can tell you right now that attendance in Westchester would a) drop like a rock, b) probably be about the same percentage of capacity used as current attendance at MSG.

I know, speaking for myself and Happycappie, that I would have to cut back to a partial plan at best if the Liberty moved to Westchester. I say this as a fan who's been willing to travel and who made the hike out to Newark for damn near every game for three years. I say this as a fan of low-major women's basketball who's been to games at some truly embarrassing facilities.

Can I get a "FUCK YOU DOLAN" from the choir?

FUCK YOU DOLAN!!!!

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat upon him was Death, and Hell followed with him
toad455

PostPosted: 02/06/18 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FUCK YOU DOLAN!!!!

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/06/18 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So most games at Westchester

some still at MSG

No new owner.

I wondered when Westchester was mentioned if there wasn't going to be a new owner as I believe that is where the Knicks G-League team plays.

Not good, but could be worse, now we can move forward and have another year to get the team bought by owners who can do it better in 19, hopefully

tfan

PostPosted: 02/06/18 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"We understand there is a significant interest in the team," Borders told The Associated Press in a phone interview Wednesday. "We will have a team in New York. Mr. Dolan and MSG have been a terrific partner for 21 years."

"While we have had numerous interested parties, we are going to continue to operate the team until we identify the right new owner to steward this valuable New York franchise. We will have more to share soon,” Madison Square Garden Company President Andy Lustgarten said.

So apparently it wasn't "Which one will end up winning the bidding war?", it was "Is anyone interested enough to make a purchase?". But I suppose it could also be that the asking price is too high. But if the Liberty are losing money and that is why MSG wants to "sell it", the asking price should probably be anything greater than or equal to $0.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/06/18 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
So apparently it wasn't "Which one will end up winning the bidding war?", it was "Is anyone interested enough to make a purchase?". But I suppose it could also be that the asking price is too high. But if the Liberty are losing money and that is why MSG wants to "sell it", the asking price should probably be anything greater than or equal to $0.

People pay top dollar for money losing sports franchises all the time

PostPosted: 02/06/18 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:

People pay top dollar for money losing sports franchises all the time

True, but those leagues have a history of franchise values appreciating. I doubt that's the case with the WNBA.

PostPosted: 02/06/18 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
"We understand there is a significant interest in the team," Borders told The Associated Press in a phone interview Wednesday. "We will have a team in New York. Mr. Dolan and MSG have been a terrific partner for 21 years."

"While we have had numerous interested parties, we are going to continue to operate the team until we identify the right new owner to steward this valuable New York franchise. We will have more to share soon,” Madison Square Garden Company President Andy Lustgarten said.

I have always considered Borders a braggart and a liar. Long on bluster and anecdotes but short on real substance. Good news for the 2018 season though.

jmvcity

PostPosted: 02/07/18 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would be much happier if they had more games at Radio City than in Westchester.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 02/07/18 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
There is a new 3500 seat arena being built for the Hawk g-league team right next to Atlanta airport. I'm sure hoping that does not become the site for Dream games (though it might have Marta access) though it does seem this sort of thing is becoming the norm for WNBA teams.

Hah! For my dad's sake, I hope it is: he's a Dream STH, and they live right down the street from the airport. I don't want his old ass driving out of the city at night, and neither does my mom, to be honest.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 02/07/18 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
Maybe the Hawks ownership will take over the Dream and move them into that joint.

The W has been steadily moving away from NBA co-ownership. The Liberty sale brings the number down to four. Let's not backtrack.

You don’t want NBA ownership? I love NBA ownership. Wouldn’t want it any other way. Depends on the owner, I guess.

If it becomes zero NBA owners, what interest would NBA have in supporting WNBA?

If it becomes 12 then you have to worry about an owner wanting to dump his team once they dont meet a profit or because he wants some NBA stud for the salary he has to pay his WNBA players. #2001

Like you can get an "NBA stud" for what a WNBA team costs, any more. In 2018, you can't even get a 6th man for that kind of money.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/07/18 1:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

They were demanding a lot more than absolute zero. While it's unprofitable, they were not desperate to get rid of it.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/07/18 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

josephkramer44 wrote:
tfan wrote:

I have always considered Borders a braggart and a liar. Long on bluster and anecdotes but short on real substance. Good news for the 2018 season though.

Just because the owners chose not to accept the offers does not mean there wasn't significant interest.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 02/07/18 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, what happened to that Pera guy, who owns the Memphis Grizzlies? Did he not hold up under due diligence scrutiny? Or did he change his mind?

PostPosted: 02/07/18 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
So, what happened to that Pera guy, who owns the Memphis Grizzlies? Did he not hold up under due diligence scrutiny? Or did he change his mind?

That was a rumor. I don't think it was ever confirmed.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone post this brief item from Newsday saying that management denies reports that the Liberty aren't for sale anymore. They also didn't comment on the team moving to Westchester. So, maybe yesterday was just much ado about nothing?

https://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/liberty/liberty-sale-1.16587789

Last edited by root_thing on 02/07/18 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 02/07/18 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:

That was a Barcoff rumor. He got a bad tip.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 02/09/18 4:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It looks smaller than a 5,000 seat arena. The lower level barely slopes, making it look like it could be hard to see the action if you aren't in the first row.

Last edited by tfan on 02/09/18 5:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: