RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NY Liberty to play in Westchester
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 03/05/18 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Were a bunch requesting refunds at the event?

I have no idea

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/05/18 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a person who has has an NFL and NBA team moved away and almost lost my WNBA team, I think the Liberty fans have a real opportunity here. Unlike San Antonio, you still have a team. You also know that the ownership is going to change. Whoever buys the team is going to want it and not treat it as a liability. The question becomes whether whoever buys it thinks it has a future in NYC or not. Hopefully at least some games will get 2000+ so the new owner might feel it's worth the risk to find a location that will allow the team to stay in the area.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/06/18 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
As a person who has has an NFL and NBA team moved away and almost lost my WNBA team, I think the Liberty fans have a real opportunity here. Unlike San Antonio, you still have a team. You also know that the ownership is going to change. Whoever buys the team is going to want it and not treat it as a liability. The question becomes whether whoever buys it thinks it has a future in NYC or not. Hopefully at least some games will get 2000+ so the new owner might feel it's worth the risk to find a location that will allow the team to stay in the area.

I don't agree. Consider, for example, the Liberty's average home attendance for 2017. Compare that with the pathetic average home attendance for 2018 for the many games in White Plains, even if they all sell out. Would that mean that so many thousands of Liberty fans have lost interest in the team? No, it'll simply mean that White Plains is a lousy arena and location. Anyone with the $$$ to buy the franchise from Hideous Lord Jimmy will understand this.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

our best case scenario for 2019 would be for someone to buy the team and move them to Brooklyn.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 03/06/18 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's still astounding to me that the W doesn't have by-laws specifying capacity for arenas

The NBA constitution gives the commissioner authority "to establish minimum standards for the design, construction, and operation of NBA-quality arenas in areas related to the production and marketing of NBA basketball games and events; to establish minimum standards for the conditions under which NBA basketball games and events are conducted, and to regulate the in-arena presentation of those games and events"

http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/files/221035054-nba-constitution-and-by-laws.pdf

Last edited by pilight on 03/06/18 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/06/18 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
our best case scenario for 2019 would be for someone to buy the team and move them to Brooklyn.

I fully agree. And whether the Liberty sell out in White Plains or don't won't in any meaningful way suggest how the team will draw in Brooklyn.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I fully agree. And whether the Liberty sell out in White Plains or don't won't in any meaningful way suggest how the team will draw in Brooklyn.

getting 2k in Westchester vs. getting even 7k(low balling) in Brooklyn is better.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 03/07/18 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so am I the only REAL STH that posts on Rebkell ?

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/08/18 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
so am I the only REAL STH that posts on Rebkell ?

Once that refund I asked for on Sunday finally comes through, I guess you will be, since I have to drop down to a partial plan and bootleg it to boot.

(now with spelling variations)
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 03/08/18 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully after 2018, the Golden State Warriors Buy the team and move them to California.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/08/18 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's sad that it's come to this in NYC ...

As for the Warriors, Joe Lacob reiterated today that he wants a WNBA team in the Bay Area. But he also said that they've been working on building the new arena for eight years, and it's been one of the complex tasks he's ever encountered in his business career.

Presumably, now that construction has started, it should be a smoother process, but San Francisco politics are notoriously convoluted, and you just never know ...

PostPosted: 03/08/18 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Hopefully after 2018, the Golden State Warriors Buy the team and move them to California.

Not what any Liberty Fan would ever hope for !

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/08/18 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can anyone indicate how the sightlines seemed for the $29 seats?

PostPosted: 03/08/18 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I would say the sight lines from the $29 seats are not good...also there is an overhang problem from the baloney

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/08/18 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I would say the sight lines from the $29 seats are not good...also there is an overhang problem from the baloney

Thanks for the info. That sounds pretty terrible. Maybe I’ll just wait for single seats to come out and get them in the balcony for each game.

It’s really sad. I know it’s about economics but the Liberty have represented NY and MSG so well on and off the court. They (and the fans) deserve better.

PostPosted: 03/08/18 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

A little rye bread and mustard and you should be able to clear that problem right up! Razz

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/08/18 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

That sounds uncomfortable

PostPosted: 03/08/18 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

That sounds uncomfortable

It is so had to move to the best of the $39.00 seats...
Its not MSG and no more that a college arena ...but at least we have a team

tfan

PostPosted: 03/08/18 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crazy that in previous discussions about where to play, St John's 5,602 seat arena was dismissed as too small, and then the Liberty end up in a place much smaller - outside the city.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/08/18 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Crazy that in previous discussions about where to play, St John's 5,602 seat arena was dismissed as too small, and then the Liberty end up in a place much smaller - outside the city.

Isn't St. John's also bleacher seating though?

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/08/18 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Mostly. The lower deck behind the benches has chairback seating, and there's a row of chairs in the last row of the lower deck opposite the benches, but the rest of the place- lower deck opposite the benches and sidelines, and upper two decks- has bleachers. The ones in the lower deck are traditional bleachers, while the upper decks have sort of cup-shaped seats with no backs.

I'd say the Liberty and St. John's could come to an arrangement to convert the arena to all chairback seating, but then my STJ season tickets would probably go through the roof, so *shrug emoji*.

(now with spelling variations)
tfan

PostPosted: 03/08/18 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Looks like the mid and upper sections are all bleachers but one side of the lower section is not. That might be why they didn't go there, rather than the "not near public transportation" that someone told Queenie. But rent, or willingness to rent, may have also been a/the reason.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/08/18 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alright, I've tried my best to put lipstick on this pig, but I give up. Let's summarize what has happened so far:

1) The team moves to an area that will add an hour or more to most fans' travel time. Double that for a roundtrip.

2) Even if every one of the roughly 8,000 real fans per game (not the official 9,800) wanted to follow the Liberty to WCC, there are only 2,300 seats. In addition, it sounds like half of those seats have poor sightlines so functionally it's more like 1,000+. Essentially, management is telling 7,000 fans to stay home.

3) So far, it appears that management has made little effort to improve the team on the court.

4) For the privilege of a diminished experience, longer travel, and seeming indifference to adding talent, the franchise is increasing ticket prices.

Seriously, can management try harder to alienate the fanbase? Maybe they should add protruding nails to each seat and bring in elephants to shit on the floor before each game. If they don't want live fans, then just do away with WCC and play at the practice facility. You are no longer a franchise where live fans matter. Just admit that you're a made for TV event. Do away with the arena, fire your sales staff, cut your operations crew to the bone, and you should do fine living off the TV money. Just don't waste everybody's time pretending that you're a real sports franchise.

PostPosted: 03/09/18 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Alright, I've tried my best to put lipstick on this pig, but I give up. Let's summarize what has happened so far:

1) The team moves to an area that will add an hour or more to most fans' travel time. Double that for a roundtrip.

2) Even if every one of the roughly 8,000 real fans per game (not the official 9,800) wanted to follow the Liberty to WCC, there are only 2,300 seats. In addition, it sounds like half of those seats have poor sightlines so functionally it's more like 1,000+. Essentially, management is telling 7,000 fans to stay home.

3) So far, it appears that management has made little effort to improve the team on the court.

4) For the privilege of a diminished experience, longer travel, and seeming indifference to adding talent, the franchise is increasing ticket prices.

Seriously, can management try harder to alienate the fanbase? Maybe they should add protruding nails to each seat and bring in elephants to shit on the floor before each game. If they don't want live fans, then just do away with WCC and play at the practice facility. You are no longer a franchise where live fans matter. Just admit that you're a made for TV event. Do away with the arena, fire your sales staff, cut your operations crew to the bone, and you should do fine living off the TV money. Just don't waste everybody's time pretending that you're a real sports franchise.

Well said, all of it.

PostPosted: 03/09/18 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I went to the event Sunday and I was not thrilled. For me the commute is a break for me. I did the travel to Newark from Westchester and it was a pain in the butt. So for me I welcome the break. I know this doesn’t work for all and I am very sorry. I rather have MSG with a loud, passionate crowd. Unfortunately if they moved to Newark I wouldn’t have renewed my seats after 18 years. I just can’t do the commute, the same for queens/Brooklyn or Nassau. When it comes down to it unless it’s MSG, the team is loosing fans Sad

So as for Sunday. I was NOT happy at all. First my seat went from 27 to 29 and for a horrible view. The balcony over hang is horrible, no leg room and if someone Tallis in front of you it will kill your view. We let it be known that we didn’t like the view and wanted to be in the balcony. They took us up there and the view is a million times better. So we told The reps that’s were we want to sit and they need to suggest it to the higher ups. So for the time being we had to pick a seat to keep our subscription because there was no guarantee the balcony would open up to subscribers. On top of that there is no 15% discount that we signed up for when we did early renewal last year. And if you had a balance on your account it’s going to come out the next three months.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: