RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NY Liberty to play in Westchester
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/01/18 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I was expecting the cheap seats to still be $20 a la the general admission seats at MSG.

Well for single-game tickets they'll presumably go lower than $29 - the ones in the black arc (i.e. the 'balcony') on the image Queenie linked to aren't listed in the prices. I guess they don't want you sitting up there if you're a 'member'/season ticket holder.

PostPosted: 03/01/18 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
I was expecting the cheap seats to still be $20 a la the general admission seats at MSG.

Well for single-game tickets they'll presumably go lower than $29 - the ones in the black arc (i.e. the 'balcony') on the image Queenie linked to aren't listed in the prices. I guess they don't want you sitting up there if you're a 'member'/season ticket holder.

We're questioning that on Sunday- whether those are obstructed view, reserved for groups and walk-ups, or other such shenanigans.

The thing that gets me about the pricing, other than its absurdity, is the utter lack of a middle class. It goes from $39/game to $86/game. I know the middle class has been getting squeezed out of the economy, but I didn't expect to see it in microcosm.

(now with spelling variations)
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/01/18 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It could be worse , you could have ended up with Nowhere to sit and No one to watch Laughing dying at NY fans complaining about the prices now . When is anything in NY cheap ?

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 03/01/18 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/01/18 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, it looks like the average seat will be more expensive -- maybe a lot more expensive. Again, they are good seats, but it's essentially forcing people into an upgrade. Even if it's worth it in terms of value, it may not be possible for fans based on budget. You can see why it took them so long to come up with a pricing plan. The balancing act is really difficult.

PostPosted: 03/01/18 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this Queenie ...
THIS IS HORRIBLE

add on the MTA travel cost and its more than horrible !

So Dolan will get what he wants ...few STH's as a base
so he can make the Liberty less attractive to any NY buyer...
and in 2019 the can sell to some place like Omaha

Randy

PostPosted: 03/01/18 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps some enterprising Liberty fans can find a nice sports bar near MSG (or some other convenient location) and make a deal with the owner to have viewing parties for Liberty games. Probably cost a lot less, be more convenient and you would not be giving HLJ a plug nickel while enjoying the games. Just a thought.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/01/18 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also just to say, that layout looks very similar to what they appear to use for the Westchester Knicks, including those little semi-circular tables with a few seats behind them - NOT the bigger layout with extra banks of seats that tfan posted a picture of a few posts back. I just added up the total number of seats available for those Westchester Knicks games, including the upper ones, and it comes to a grand total of 2,159 seats. Only area not included in that is whatever they cram into the 'Founder's Club' (Knicks) or 'Heineken Club' (Liberty) on the stage area.

It's not even remotely approaching 5,000.

PostPosted: 03/01/18 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Perhaps some enterprising Liberty fans can find a nice sports bar near MSG (or some other convenient location) and make a deal with the owner to have viewing parties for Liberty games. Probably cost a lot less, be more convenient and you would not be giving HLJ a plug nickel while enjoying the games. Just a thought.

And that’s only if they televise the games from WCC. What are the chances?

This would’ve marked my 19th year as a STH, but sadly, I’ve just decided to leave it at 18 years.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/01/18 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Not telling people they shouldn't be unhappy, but realistically speaking the worst seat at WCC is probably as close to the court as a good seat in MSG. Secondly, given the built-in reduction in attendance, there is only so much the team can cut prices. For example, if they get 50% of their MSG crowd (optimistic) and cut prices to 75%, then the team is pulling in 37.5% of last year's box office revenue. Even with cheaper arena rental, the rest of your costs are the same. So, while I understand why fans feel they should get a much bigger discount for the lesser experience and longer travel, the business' cost structure may not allow for that. Not suggesting that I have any kind of inside information. Just pointing out that fairness and reality may be at odds no matter where they move.

Perhaps they should have thought about it a bit more before pulling the MSG plug. Or perhaps they did think about it and for some reason, want to make the point that it is non-profitable by making it less profitable....making no sense whatsoever if they want to sell.

- Amanda Gorman
jmvcity

PostPosted: 03/02/18 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imagine if they can't even sell out the WCC.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/02/18 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Also just to say, that layout looks very similar to what they appear to use for the Westchester Knicks, including those little semi-circular tables with a few seats behind them - NOT the bigger layout with extra banks of seats that tfan posted a picture of a few posts back. I just added up the total number of seats available for those Westchester Knicks games, including the upper ones, and it comes to a grand total of 2,159 seats. Only area not included in that is whatever they cram into the 'Founder's Club' (Knicks) or 'Heineken Club' (Liberty) on the stage area.

I did confirm with my rep that the black seats are being sold- but they're reserved for group sales and individual game tickets. Seems like we're gonna get to know our fellow season subscribers real well this year... well, if we were able to make it out to more games.

(now with spelling variations)
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/02/18 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I did confirm with my rep that the black seats are being sold- but they're reserved for group sales and individual game tickets. Seems like we're gonna get to know our fellow season subscribers real well this year... well, if we were able to make it out to more games.

The floorplan you posted has one narrow extra section that isn't available on the Westchester Knicks floorplan I counted - there's an extra SL5, rather than just SL1-SL4. But taking the upper ring out of the total removes 1482 of the seats. So I reckon there's all of about 700 for you guys to choose from at this 'event' at the weekend, regardless of what you're willing to spend.

PostPosted: 03/02/18 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm serving on a grand jury right now, and both the woman to my left and the woman in front of me live in White Plains. They said that there are lots of things to do on Tarrytown Road. There is even more if you're willing to walk a mile into downtown White Plains. One woman called it a mini-Manhattan, and she was puzzled when I said that Google maps show the surrounding area as a bunch of golf courses. The other woman did know about the golf courses, but she agreed that golf was hardly the only thing to do. They painted White Plains as a much more interesting place than the wasteland we've seen described on this board.

I was told that there is good parking if you want to drive and that the walk from the train station to WCC via tunnel is pretty short. Their other piece of advice was to definitely take the express train if you can.

PostPosted: 03/02/18 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I'm serving on a grand jury right now, and both the woman to my left and the woman in front of me live in White Plains. They said that there are lots of things to do on Tarrytown Road. There is even more if you're willing to walk a mile into downtown White Plains. One woman called it a mini-Manhattan, and she was puzzled when I said that Google maps show the surrounding area as a bunch of golf courses. The other woman did know about the golf courses, but she agreed that golf was hardly the only thing to do. They painted White Plains as a much more interesting place than the wasteland we've seen described on this board.

I was told that there is good parking if you want to drive and that the walk from the train station to WCC via tunnel is pretty short. Their other piece of advice was to definitely take the express train if you can.

She's probably never been to Manhattan. Razz

Were they excited about the Liberty coming to town?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/02/18 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

She's probably never been to Manhattan. Razz

Were they excited about the Liberty coming to town?

LOL. Downtown White Plains isn't like being in a little rural town. But a "mini-Manhattan"? Hilarious.

I grew up from age eight in Westchester County (Mount Vernon). It's important to understand that some people who live in suburbs--all over the U.S.--never go into the central cities that aren't far away.

PostPosted: 03/02/18 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The grand jury is meeting in Manhattan. It's federal court. I guess there aren't that many around the state, so it covers Manhattan, the Bronx, Westchester, Rockland and Putnam counties. These women seemed reasonably sophisticated. And given how hyper-development has spread all over the outer boroughs and New Jersey, I don't see why it wouldn't happen in Westchester. I'm sure it's very different from just 10 years ago, much less several decades ago. Not saying there isn't some exaggeration from these women based on civic pride, but there has probably been negative bias (snobbery?) on the part of Liberty fans from New York City. Even if it's no more than mall-type establishments in White Plains, is the comparison to MSG that unfavorable? It's not like the Penn Station/Herald Square area is known for high culture and gourmet cuisine

PostPosted: 03/02/18 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The grand jury is meeting in Manhattan. It's federal court. I guess there aren't that many around the state, so it covers Manhattan, the Bronx, Westchester, Rockland and Putnam counties. These women seemed reasonably sophisticated. And given how hyper-development has spread all over the outer boroughs and New Jersey, I don't see why it wouldn't happen in Westchester. I'm sure it's very different from just 10 years ago, much less several decades ago. Not saying there isn't some exaggeration from these women based on civic pride, but there has probably been negative bias (snobbery?) on the part of Liberty fans from New York City. Even if it's no more than mall-type establishments in White Plains, is the comparison to MSG that unfavorable? It's not like the Penn Station/Herald Square area is known for high culture and gourmet cuisine

I, for one, haven't in any way put down White Plains. But downtown White Plains as a "mini-Manhattan" is a joke.

PostPosted: 03/03/18 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess people's mileage varies when it comes to the definition of "mini"

PostPosted: 03/03/18 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I, for one, haven't in any way put down White Plains. But downtown White Plains as a "mini-Manhattan" is a joke.

Maybe they mean Manhattan, Kansas

PostPosted: 03/03/18 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But never mind all that - give us all the juicy details on the grand jury. Have you suggested they look into Dolan and his dirty dealings?

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/03/18 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But never mind all that - give us all the juicy details on the grand jury. Have you suggested they look into Dolan and his dirty dealings?

Sorry, this is Federal Court -- not Rebkell Kangaroo Court... although the latter would probably be more organized. They dragged us out to face a nor'easter and 60 mph winds so that we could sit around for two and half hours doing nothing. Then, after asking us to skip lunch, they had us redo an indictment that had already been approved by another jury last week. Apparently, there was one minor mistake in the details. Well worth our time. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 03/03/18 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure he would get a fair trial here.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/03/18 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For anyone who's going to look at the arena tomorrow, for anyone who goes to games in White Plains when they begin... it would be valuable to post feedback about the arena, travel tips, information about nearby restaurants, and so forth. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 03/03/18 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't wait to hear from everyone about the event tomorrow.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
libertycrazy97

PostPosted: 03/03/18 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bob lamm, there is a diner across the street called city limits. i know that for certain. so if you dont want to eat at the county center you can eat there. you can find it online to see what it looks like.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: