RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NY Liberty to play in Westchester
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 02/17/18 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could the reason that Dolan is driving down the STH base is to make the Liberty less attractive to a buyer that would keep the team in New York.
Maybe a buyer that would move the team will pay more...and he is all about GREED!

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/17/18 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Could the reason that Dolan is driving down the STH base is to make the Liberty less attractive to a buyer that would keep the team in New York.
Maybe a buyer that would move the team will pay more...and he is all about GREED!

Does that make sense though?
Is he under any obligation to sell to a buyer who will keep the team in NY? That strikes me as an issue for the league to decide, rather than HLJ.

PostPosted: 02/17/18 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Board of Governors does have to approve any sale, and given how much a New York presence could mean to the league I could imagine them blocking a group intending to move the team (asuming there are any interested groups who want to keep them in NY).

But there are still so many unknowns around this whole thing that it's hard to really guess what anyone's thinking or where things might go in future.

PostPosted: 02/18/18 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This article stats that WCC capacity is only 2,000. I know that's wrong as the Westchester Knicks have drawn over 3,000 for games. They're also hoping the locals will come out and support the team. What is the population of Westchester?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/02/15/new-york-liberty-coming-to-westchester-county/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/18/18 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
This article stats that WCC capacity is only 2,000. I know that's wrong as the Westchester Knicks have drawn over 3,000 for games. They're also hoping the locals will come out and support the team. What is the population of Westchester?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/02/15/new-york-liberty-coming-to-westchester-county/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

949,113 as of the last census, 56,853 of these in White Plains.

(now with spelling variations)
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/18/18 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 5,000-seat figure seems to come from Wikipedia. I can't find anything on the WCC's own website. The rental page just gives a phone number. Their seating chart page is "under construction." I did find a seating chart for the Westchester Knicks at Ticketmaster. I'm too lazy to count each dot, but my rough estimate would be more like 3,000. Anyone with more energy is free to try it themselves. Click on the plus sign to see individual seats.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/westchester-knicks-vs-long-island-nets-white-plains-new-york-03-08-2018/event/0000533DA7415E2C?artistid=2047884&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=7&tm_link=venue_msg-0_0000533DA7415E2C

Edit: Comparing the seating chart to pictures of the arena, it looks like there's a lot of unused space in the chart. Maybe they can add more seats when necessary.

PostPosted: 02/18/18 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The 5,000-seat figure seems to come from Wikipedia. I can't find anything on the WCC's own website. The rental page just gives a phone number. Their seating chart page is "under construction." I did find a seating chart for the Westchester Knicks at Ticketmaster. I'm too lazy to count each dot, but my rough estimate would be more like 3,000. Anyone with more energy is free to try it themselves. Click on the plus sign to see individual seats.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/westchester-knicks-vs-long-island-nets-white-plains-new-york-03-08-2018/event/0000533DA7415E2C?artistid=2047884&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=7&tm_link=venue_msg-0_0000533DA7415E2C

Edit: Comparing the seating chart to pictures of the arena, it looks like there's a lot of unused space in the chart. Maybe they can add more seats when necessary.

Thanks for all this. Drawing on the link you provided, I got curious and just counted four sections. A section on the side at the highest level had 72 seats. Another had 86 seats. A section on the highest level behind one of the baskets had 105 seats. A section on the side that's closer to the court had 108 seats. I can't believe that sections of courtside seats will have as many as those sections do.

That's all the counting I'm willing to do. My guess: your estimate of 3,000 seats is right on the mark. No way that this map shows 5,000 seats. And no way to know how many can perhaps be added in unused spaces.

PostPosted: 02/18/18 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
toad455 wrote:

949,113 as of the last census, 56,853 of these in White Plains.

The millions in NYC didn’t even come out in droves to MSG.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 02/18/18 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems I have heard this before when we moved to New Jersey for 3 years and didn't pick up that many NJ fans

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/18/18 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty will play in Westchester, practice in Westchester and the team provided housing is in Westchester. They'll be integrated into the community. It's like the 1950's when Dodgers players lived near Ebbetts field or Giants players lived around the Polo Grounds. Just imagine all the kids following Tina down the street like she was Willie Mays. Wink

PostPosted: 02/18/18 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The Liberty will play in Westchester, practice in Westchester and the team provided housing is in Westchester. They'll be integrated into the community. It's like the 1950's when Dodgers players lived near Ebbetts field or Giants players lived around the Polo Grounds. Just imagine all the kids following Tina down the street like she was Willie Mays. Wink

I understand what you are saying ...But as someone that grew up in Brooklyn in the 1950's, and was a die hard Dodger fan ...its was a special time and the Dodgers were a special team! Being able to walk up and talk to Jackie Robinson, Pee Wee Reese, Gil Hodges was special for a 10 year old fan ...and they always had time to talk to you.

But of course this opens the door as to what it felt like in 1958, when there were no more Brooklyn Dodgers!...will there be no more New York Liberty? OMG I hope not

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/18/18 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MSG does own The Forum. Los Angeles Liberty has a ring to it. Razz

PostPosted: 02/18/18 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Did the team already live and practice in Westchester last season?

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/18/18 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Did the team already live and practice in Westchester last season?

Yes, but that's not the same as playing there... in theory. Smile

PostPosted: 02/18/18 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guess the players will be about the only ones who will have a shorter commute to games.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/18/18 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to Google, 9 minutes in normal traffic to travel the 5 miles by car. Liberty players should have more energy for home games. We're going to dominate this year! Very Happy

PostPosted: 02/18/18 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
When Ursuline and Ossining sold out the County Center – which seated approximately 1,600 people at the time – in an epic 2003 Section 1 Class A final showdown, those fears were put to rest. The County Center has since expanded to seat more than 4,000 people, yet Ossining and Albertus Magnus still packed the house for last year’s Section 1 Class AA final.

Zacchio: County Center move a major setback for girls basketball

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xd0bOEn7GG0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/19/18 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AHA! Adam Silver is from Westchester and his mother taught school in White Plains. He's behind this move!

Just how does one go about more than doubling the capacity of a building from 1,600 to over 4,000? Did WCC knock down some walls? Or did they do the airline coach class thing by shrinking seat size and squeezing them closer together?

PostPosted: 02/19/18 2:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
AHA! Adam Silver is from Westchester and his mother taught school in White Plains. He's behind this move!

Just how does one go about more than doubling the capacity of a building from 1,600 to over 4,000? Did WCC knock down some walls? Or did they do the airline coach class thing by shrinking seat size and squeezing them closer together?

It's funny but if you fly on an airline from a 3rd world country you usually get a better experience. The planes are older so you get much larger seats, the bathrooms more spacious and because they don't get the same industrial slop that most airlines do at the hubs the food tends to be better. A bit off topic but I couldn't resist.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/19/18 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

it'll be interesting to see what the team/league report as actually attendance for games this season. The capacity is reportedly 5,000, but will the league go as far to report games over 5,000?

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/19/18 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going from 1,600 to 4,000 is a 150% capacity increase within the same space. If they can pull off that magic trick a second time, it would get WCC up to 10,000 seats -- which is perfect! Very Happy

PostPosted: 02/19/18 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

The seats are the equivalent of bunk beds. You have to pay more for the higher seats because visibility is better. But you are required to have your legs folded, yoga-style, so people in the lower seats have at least some visibility.

PostPosted: 02/19/18 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Section 1 pulls basketball championships from County Center

Quote:
The Goldstein Center's seating capacity (2,400) is a little more than half of that at the County Center (4,000-plus). The County Center has also made several recent improvements, which were facilitated by its partnership with the Westchester Knicks. The arena has upgraded some of its locker rooms, its scoreboards and video boards, and it installed a new floor prior to Championship Week in 2017.

I suspect the 5,000 number refers to the WCC's capacity for concerts, when the court area would be filled with chairs.

Quote:
What is the venue’s capacity?

The Westchester County Center’s Main Hall can accommodate up to 5,000 attendees.

https://www.wmconcerts.com/faq/
tfan

PostPosted: 02/19/18 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

it'll be interesting to see what the team/league report as actually attendance for games this season. The capacity is reportedly 5,000, but will the league go as far to report games over 5,000?

I would bet on them using 5,000. Even though Glen's articles are using 4,000-ish, they have whoever edited Wikipedia to thank for 5,000 "for basketball" and no basketball number on the official website. Although the person(s) who edited Wikipedia also has 5,000 for concerts. Concerts would presumably have more people standing on the court than seats were lost on the stage, so it is easy to dispute the 5,000.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/19/18 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI, the Westchester Knicks average only 1,490 fans through 20 games this season. Their high is 2,453 and their low is 455.

From what I could research, it looks like their all-time high for attendance was 3,341 on Nov. 30, 2016.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: