RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

WNBA Draft 2018 (April 12th)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17681



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/06/18 10:24 am    ::: WNBA Draft 2018 (April 12th) Reply Reply with quote

Draft Day will be held Thursday, April 12 @ 7pm EST on ESPN.


[Edited by Luuuc to add]
lynxmania wrote:
FIRST ROUND RECAP:
1. Aces - A'ja Wilson
2. Fever - Kelsey Mitchell
3. Sky - Diamond DeShields
4. Sky - Gabby Williams
5. Storm - Jordin Canada
6. Wings - Azura Stevens
7. Mystics - Ariel Atkins
8. Fever - Victoria Vivians
9. Sun - Lexie Brown
10. Liberty - Kia Nurse
11. Sparks - Maria Vadeeva
12. Mercury - Marie Gulich

ROUND TWO RECAP:
13. Aces - Jamie Nared
14. Fever - Stephanie Mavunga
15. Dream - Monique Billings
16. Dream - Kristy Wallace
17. Lynx - Ji-Su Park
18. Wings - Loryn Goodwin
19. Mystics - Myisha Hines-Allen
20. Mercury - Tyler Scaife
21. Mercury - Raisa Musina
22. Liberty - Mercedes Russell
23. Sparks - Shakayla Thomas
24. Lynx - Kahliah Lawrence



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 18829



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having a date is nice and all, and at some point I guess a venue will be organised, but what we really want to know is: who is going to be DJ'ing it this year?
Lisa Borders has got an established track record, but could DJ Lizzy C be a dark horse candidate now that she's returning to the W?



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/06/18 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please let it be open to fans. Please let it be open to fans. Please let it be open to fans.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 15411
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/07/18 5:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Please let it be open to fans. Please let it be open to fans. Please let it be open to fans.


Please let it be nothing like last year



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 3121
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/26/18 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA now has a team in Las Vegas and the Chicago Sky are moving to a new area in the heart of the city.
It would be a promotional coup if one of those teams would host the draft in their new home arenas. Cool



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17681



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/26/18 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's already been announced it's being held in NYC. Agreed it should've been in Las Vegas at least.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 3121
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/26/18 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
It's already been announced it's being held in NYC. Agreed it should've been in Las Vegas at least.

What venue in NYC is hosting the draft?



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17681



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/26/18 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
toad455 wrote:
It's already been announced it's being held in NYC. Agreed it should've been in Las Vegas at least.

What venue in NYC is hosting the draft?


No one knows, but anything is better than where they had it last year.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10306
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/26/18 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
toad455 wrote:
It's already been announced it's being held in NYC. Agreed it should've been in Las Vegas at least.

What venue in NYC is hosting the draft?


No one knows, but anything is better than where they had it last year.


Yeah, you don't want the top pick to get nearly hit with someone's mobile phone, like Kelsey Plum almost did at the Samsung 837 building last year! Rolling Eyes




_________________
"The more I see of the moneyed classes, the more I understand the guillotine." -- George Bernard Shaw
StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10306
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/26/18 7:20 pm    ::: Re: WNBA Draft 2018 Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Draft Day will be held Thursday, April 12 @ 7pm EST on ESPN.


As I recall, last year's draft date (as reported by CBS Sports) was originally supposed to take place on April 10, 2017, but was actually held on April 13th.

To this day, I still don't know why the WNBA wanted to have that draft in such a small place like the Samsung 837, where it would've been more suitable as a draft viewing party, but not to have the draft itself. I'm guessing only to please corporate sponsors.



_________________
"The more I see of the moneyed classes, the more I understand the guillotine." -- George Bernard Shaw
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7659



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/26/18 8:48 pm    ::: Re: WNBA Draft 2018 Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Draft Day will be held Thursday, April 12 @ 7pm EST on ESPN.


As I recall, last year's draft date (as reported by CBS Sports) was originally supposed to take place on April 10, 2017, but was actually held on April 13th.

To this day, I still don't know why the WNBA wanted to have that draft in such a small place like the Samsung 837, where it would've been more suitable as a draft viewing party, but not to have the draft itself. I'm guessing only to please corporate sponsors.


The CBS Sports article was written by Medgal, if I recall. His track record for presenting accurate information is not good. I'll forgive last year's miss if they make up for it this year with a proper venue/show.


Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 3121
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/27/18 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there a pre-draft combine this year?



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7589
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/27/18 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Is there a pre-draft combine this year?


Great question , one that needs answering . I have the slightest feeling the WNBA offices have not even thought about the pre-draft combine Laughing



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14442
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/27/18 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Is there a pre-draft combine this year?


There hasn't been a combine for several years.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9319



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/27/18 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The combines are pretty much a waste of time. The guards dominate the ball and jack up shots; the wings jack up shots; and the posts hope to get some rebounds so they can jack up shots.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 57579
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/27/18 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Is there a pre-draft combine this year?


There hasn't been a combine for several years.


Not an official one, anyway. There is at least one privately run combine.



_________________
Make lots of noise
Kiss lots of boys
Or kiss lots of girls
If that's something you're into
When the straight and narrow
Gets a little too straight
Roll up a joint, or don't
Just follow your arrow
Wherever it points, yeah
Follow your arrow
Wherever it points
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 20715
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/27/18 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the private ones tend to be for the fringe players hoping for a training camp look and/or an overseas contract, not the lottery picks or first-rounders. A proper league-organised thing where everyone comes and they get official measurements (like the NFL) hasn't been done by the WNBA in aaaaaages.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23314



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/27/18 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The combines are pretty much a waste of time. The guards dominate the ball and jack up shots; the wings jack up shots; and the posts hope to get some rebounds so they can jack up shots.


so true. I saw one of the younger age USA tryouts a few years back and it was exactly like this. I think it was pretty much decided before hand and the tryouts were just a show.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7659



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/27/18 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Is there a pre-draft combine this year?


Great question , one that needs answering . I have the slightest feeling the WNBA offices have not even thought about the pre-draft combine Laughing


There are several private combines held every year at the Final Four site. Most if not all of the teams are there to look. With all of the basketball taking place over the winter, though, most of the decent players have been seen already so very little comes of it.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9319



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/27/18 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ClayK wrote:
The combines are pretty much a waste of time. The guards dominate the ball and jack up shots; the wings jack up shots; and the posts hope to get some rebounds so they can jack up shots.


so true. I saw one of the younger age USA tryouts a few years back and it was exactly like this. I think it was pretty much decided before hand and the tryouts were just a show.


Actually the USA Basketball tryouts generally result in one or two surprises -- Sabrina Ionescu being the most obvious example. She was a complete unknown when she arrived, and out of a 130 or so who were there, she made the top 12.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 3121
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/28/18 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
And the private ones tend to be for the fringe players hoping for a training camp look and/or an overseas contract, not the lottery picks or first-rounders. A proper league-organised thing where everyone comes and they get official measurements (like the NFL) hasn't been done by the WNBA in aaaaaages.

How do head coaches and general managers get accurate information about the players they want to draft? Depending on colleges to deliver accurate height and weight of basketball players is a joke. Are head coaches allowed to interview college seniors before the draft?



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 57579
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/28/18 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
And the private ones tend to be for the fringe players hoping for a training camp look and/or an overseas contract, not the lottery picks or first-rounders. A proper league-organised thing where everyone comes and they get official measurements (like the NFL) hasn't been done by the WNBA in aaaaaages.

How do head coaches and general managers get accurate information about the players they want to draft? Depending on colleges to deliver accurate height and weight of basketball players is a joke. Are head coaches allowed to interview college seniors before the draft?


They can interview players once their senior season is over.



_________________
Make lots of noise
Kiss lots of boys
Or kiss lots of girls
If that's something you're into
When the straight and narrow
Gets a little too straight
Roll up a joint, or don't
Just follow your arrow
Wherever it points, yeah
Follow your arrow
Wherever it points
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 12415



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/18 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been hoping for awhile now that Kia Nurse would drop to the Libs at 10. But I feel like it's consensus that her performance against Asia Durr defensively upgraded her stock? I know I was overwhelmingly impressed. My thought process is she definitely doesn't get past CT at 9, so if the Libs want her they would have to trade up to do it.



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17681



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/18 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty's biggest need is a SF or PF. I'm hoping for Billings or even Nared at #10.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17681



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Draft to be held at the new Nike headquarters in New York. Draft not open to the public.

http://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-draft-2018-presented-state-farm-held-april-12-new-york/



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin