RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

FIBA Women's World Cup 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/28/18 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Canada just totally melted down in the 4th Qtr, getting outscored 19-0 until putting up 3 meaningless points in the last 1:44. They had nothing resembling an offense -- just players going 1 on 1, 1 on 2, 1 on 3... I don't understand why they didn't try Jamie Scott (Weisner) instead of relying on Fields and Colley. The latter two were missing shot after shot -- a number of them bricks.

Anyway, I remain skeptical about Spain. They made a lot of shots after it was clear Canada was totally dysfunctional and the Spanish players could just relax. That won't happen against Australia. Having that go-to player in Cambage will keep the pressure on. Australia is also a more experienced team than Canada. They look like a tougher, smarter bunch and less likely to panic.

PostPosted: 09/28/18 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
MrCam wrote:
You stated:

Wilson is a number 1 scoring option. A franchise player while Meesseman is a number 2 option. And i'm a fan of Emma for years. That is just her mindset.

A'ja is the second coming of Candace Parker, minus the perimeter shooting.

I have never seen Meesseman play. However, I do not believe that Emma

is in the same GALAXY in the paint as A'ja Wilson is. And I do not believe

that Emma can guard A'ja BY HERSELF one on one. Remember folks, A'ja

is a first year pro. Her game will only expand and improve. A'ja does not

need to be a perimeter shooter like Breanna. Once she can achieve say

50% shooting from 15 feet/4.75 meters and in, she will be set.

This is A'ja when she is on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VvUts9o6nc

Ok dad, brother, cousin, or whoever. lol!~ A'ja has proven she needs her teammates to be successful and good guards to spread the floor. Dawn is letting her pad the Team USA stats..anybody else coaches, she's an average joe.

MrCam, A'ja is not the second coming of Candance Parker. She is the 1st coming of A'ja Wilson. She is her own person and her game in some respects is a bit better than CP's.

To the poster after you(HD HOOPS) she is certainly NOT an average joe Somebody else IS coaching her and that is Bill and you think she won ROY because she is an average joe?

toad455

PostPosted: 09/28/18 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curious what Belgium can do vs. the USA. Australia should all but be a lock to defeat Spain. Their starters will be rested.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
MrCam

PostPosted: 09/28/18 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Canada just totally melted down in the 4th Qtr, getting outscored 19-0 until putting up 3 meaningless points in the last 1:44. They had nothing resembling an offense -- just players going 1 on 1, 1 on 2, 1 on 3... I don't understand why they didn't try Jamie Scott (Weisner) instead of relying on Fields and Colley. The latter two were missing shot after shot -- a number of them bricks.

Anyway, I remain skeptical about Spain. They made a lot of shots after it was clear Canada was totally dysfunctional and the Spanish players could just relax. That won't happen against Australia. Having that go-to player in Cambage will keep the pressure on. Australia is also a more experienced team than Canada. They look like a tougher, smarter bunch and less likely to panic.

Spain does not have the front line necessary to slow down Cambage and

the rest of the Aussie front line and match their scoring point for point +

10 to 15. Xargay & Torrens have been AWOL. Aussies by 20 or more.

MrCam

PostPosted: 09/28/18 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
MrCam wrote:
You stated:

Wilson is a number 1 scoring option. A franchise player while Meesseman is a number 2 option. And i'm a fan of Emma for years. That is just her mindset.

A'ja is the second coming of Candace Parker, minus the perimeter shooting.

I have never seen Meesseman play. However, I do not believe that Emma

is in the same GALAXY in the paint as A'ja Wilson is. And I do not believe

that Emma can guard A'ja BY HERSELF one on one. Remember folks, A'ja

is a first year pro. Her game will only expand and improve. A'ja does not

need to be a perimeter shooter like Breanna. Once she can achieve say

50% shooting from 15 feet/4.75 meters and in, she will be set.

This is A'ja when she is on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VvUts9o6nc

Ok dad, brother, cousin, or whoever. lol!~ A'ja has proven she needs her teammates to be successful and good guards to spread the floor. Dawn is letting her pad the Team USA stats..anybody else coaches, she's an average joe.

MrCam, A'ja is not the second coming of Candance Parker. She is the 1st coming of A'ja Wilson. She is her own person and her game in some respects is a bit better than CP's.

To the poster after you(HD HOOPS) she is certainly NOT an average joe Somebody else IS coaching her and that is Bill and you think she won ROY because she is an average joe?

I did not mention personality. However, to make things CLEAR for you I

will say this.

A'ja Wilson is the most TALENTED player to enter the WNBA since

Candace Parker. A'ja has the talent to be the best pure power forward

ever and an all time top 5 player. I do not expect A'ja to ever be as good

of a perimeter shooter as Candace. But I do expect A'ja to have Team

USA games on a regular basis where she takes over the game for a

dominant win. Look at what Candace did in the 2012 Olympic Gold Medal

Final against France for an example.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/28/18 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wwwwwait thought Daddy kept saying she was a guard LOL Really like Aja this year but she is a 5 who is trying to expand her game and she needs to increase her efficiency, which she hopefully will do with better shot selection but really nice start to her pro career.

MrCam

PostPosted: 09/28/18 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Wwwwwait thought Daddy kept saying she was a guard LOL Really like Aja this year but she is a 5 who is trying to expand her game and she needs to increase her efficiency, which she hopefully will do with better shot selection but really nice start to her pro career.

A'ja Wilson was TRAINED by her ex pro PF father to be a PF since she was

12/13. As a Gamecock she played PF, on Team USA she plays PF. A'ja is

NOT a center. She can play as a center. But A'ja has made it CLEAR to Aces

MGM that she is & will play as a PF. Even Bill Laimbeer recognizes that fact.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/28/18 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
IMHO, A'ja is a tough 2 way player with great upside! She is the newest in a long line of #1 picks to represent the US and contribute nicely to the team. Opening the favoritism can of worms probably is not the best idea when discussing USAB...

Have anyone tried cancelling ESPN+? I just did (2 days prior to my 7 day trial) and it said my subscription is active until Oct. 2nd. Confused Did they just scam me?

anytime you have to give money upfront for something 'free' it's a scam.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/28/18 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

no comments on Spain putting the hurt on Canada today?

...like Canada's three point 4th quarter. wtf was that?

Coyotes

PostPosted: 09/28/18 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

What in hades? I didn't even notice that. I need to go home and watch the game and watch the spectacular Canadian implosion. Such a contrast to their comeback victory over France.

I'm secretly hoping that Emma torches the United States after some comments indicating that she's not in the same galaxy as some of these American players. Bulletin board material. Perfect.

MrCam

PostPosted: 09/28/18 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
myrtle wrote:

What in hades? I didn't even notice that. I need to go home and watch the game and watch the spectacular Canadian implosion. Such a contrast to their comeback victory over France.

I'm secretly hoping that Emma torches the United States after some comments indicating that she's not in the same galaxy as some of these American players. Bulletin board material. Perfect.

Be PRECISE with your response. I said that Emma IS not in the same

galaxy as A'ja Wilson in the PAINT!!! English reading comprehension

must be an AFTERTHOUGHT in your micron mind.

Lets make a bet. When Team USA sends Belgium home, you will post

A'ja as your Avatar picture until Jan 1st 2019. Deal?

Randy

PostPosted: 09/28/18 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Question

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/28/18 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

The building was absolutely bananas in the fourth. Yeah, Canada fell apart, but I give at least half the credit for that final period to the crowd. If Spain can keep it close into the second half tomorrow, they'll have every chance towards the end. Even if the atmosphere doesn't get to the Aussies, it helps with the refs.

PostPosted: 09/28/18 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
myrtle wrote:

The building was absolutely bananas in the fourth. Yeah, Canada fell apart, but I give at least half the credit for that final period to the crowd. If Spain can keep it close into the second half tomorrow, they'll have every chance towards the end. Even if the atmosphere doesn't get to the Aussies, it helps with the refs.

But is that realistic? Do you really believe that Spain can keep it close and

pull off the upset? Actually, Spain would make the three-peat EASIER for

Team USA by knocking off the Aussies. The Aussies have a four year win-

dow to win a FIBA or Olympic Gold Medal. I do not believe that Liz will be

this good in the 2022 FIBA World Cup for Women. Ezi MAGBEGOR cannot

replace Cambage. Ezi MAGBEGOR is at best another Marianna Tolo.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/28/18 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
What in god's name has happened to the russians ?

they bombed out in EuroBasket, losing to Greece in the quarterfinals and failing to qualify.

Wow , my have times changed. Russia was one of the Big 3 when I was growing up. U.S., Aussies & Russians were the teams that put fear in my heart come Olympic time. Seems Russia has been replaced by Spain, but they're not that competitive on the U.S. level.

Photo from the game after Greece beat Russia in those Eurobasket quarterfinals last year (2017). The reaction from that Russian player says it all!

The days of the Russian National Women's Team when they had players like Natalia Vodopyanova, Svetlana Abrosimova, Irina Osipova, Elena Baranova, Maria Stepanova, Ilona Korstin, and even Becky Hammon(ova) are long gone. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 09/28/18 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MrCam wrote:
[ Ezi MAGBEGOR cannot replace Cambage. Ezi MAGBEGOR is at best another Marianna Tolo.

Strange comparison. Those two (Magbegor & Tolo) are not much alike at all.
But no, a world class 5 definitely can't be replaced by an extremely inexperienced player with totally different physique and game style. That part is certainly true.

PostPosted: 09/28/18 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
So much for thinking this would be a close match. Belgium has looked very impressive this tournament. Didn't think they'd be a medal contender, especially since it's their World Cup debut. Is it more that Belgium has drastically improved, or teams like France, Spain and Turkey have taken a step back?

Both, but the Belgian team of the last couple of years is far and away the beat team they've ever had.

Much as I love her slightly insane all-action backup Carpreaux, Julie Allemand's been poetry in motion running this team tonight.

I wonder if a few WNBA teams might give Allemand a call this winter and convince her to come over?

Hopefully it's the Indiana Fever or else some teams are breaking a few rules. Surely she to show it over the course of a season or something longer than the back half of this tournament? She had a pretty inconsistent club season that at no point made her look like a WNBA caliber player.
MrCam

PostPosted: 09/28/18 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
MrCam wrote:
[ Ezi MAGBEGOR cannot replace Cambage. Ezi MAGBEGOR is at best another Marianna Tolo.

Strange comparison. Those two (Magbegor & Tolo) are not much alike at all.
But no, a world class 5 definitely can't be replaced by an extremely inexperienced player with totally different physique and game style. That part is certainly true.

I should have used the T-word in my description.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/29/18 4:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
So much for thinking this would be a close match. Belgium has looked very impressive this tournament. Didn't think they'd be a medal contender, especially since it's their World Cup debut. Is it more that Belgium has drastically improved, or teams like France, Spain and Turkey have taken a step back?

Both, but the Belgian team of the last couple of years is far and away the beat team they've ever had.

Much as I love her slightly insane all-action backup Carpreaux, Julie Allemand's been poetry in motion running this team tonight.

I wonder if a few WNBA teams might give Allemand a call this winter and convince her to come over?

Hopefully it's the Indiana Fever or else some teams are breaking a few rules. Surely she to show it over the course of a season or something longer than the back half of this tournament? She had a pretty inconsistent club season that at no point made her look like a WNBA caliber player.

The other problem is I believe she's still playing in France, which means if her team is any good at all she'd be late for WNBA camp and potentially even miss the start of the regular season. France is not a good choice if you want to break into a WNBA roster.

And yes, as impressive as last night was, you obviously have to do it over a longer period to be worth a damn to a club team.

PostPosted: 09/29/18 5:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Opals are not really experienced at all. Cambage yes and O'Hea aswell but remember O' Hea last big tournament for the Opals was then 2012 Olympics Surprised
Im rooting for the Opals but im not counting Spain out that easily

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/29/18 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Opals are not really experienced at all. Cambage yes and O'Hea aswell but remember O' Hea last big tournament for the Opals was then 2012 Olympics Surprised
Im rooting for the Opals but im not counting Spain out that easily

You can add George, Allen, and Lavey who were on the 2014 World Championship Bronze Medal winning team. But beyond that, players like Talbot and Whitcomb have been through the WNBA playoffs. I was making a comparison to Canada, whose greatest achievement is probably winning the 2015 Pan American games against a Team USA made up entirely of college players. Most of the Canadian players have not had success in high visibility tournaments. The best I can think of would be Nurse and Achonwa going deep into the NCAA Tournaments. The Canadian players have admitted openly that quarterfinal games are a major stumbling block. At this point, it seems to be in their heads.

You never totally count out the home team, so Spain obviously has a chance. However, from what I've seen, Australia seems very focused. They just demolished a good Chinese team, holding them to 42 points after China scored 88 against the USA. Australia is committed on defense, and on offense they can usually stop droughts by getting the ball to Cambage. They've been very impressive while Spain has looked really mediocre. The home team will have to up their game a couple of notches to be competitive.

PostPosted: 09/29/18 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Canada looking like they're about to blow their big lead vs. China. Falling apart in the second half again.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/29/18 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
You never totally count out the home team, so Spain obviously has a chance. However, from what I've seen, Australia seems very focused. They just demolished a good Chinese team, holding them to 42 points after China scored 88 against the USA. Australia is committed on defense, and on offense they can usually stop droughts by getting the ball to Cambage. They've been very impressive while Spain has looked really mediocre. The home team will have to up their game a couple of notches to be competitive.

With Cambage we have a relatively fresh player who is a good bail-out option if the tide goes against us. That's something Canada didn't have last night against Spain when the heat was on in the 4th. Also I'm fairly confident that our guards won't go into panic mode the way Canada's did. If they start to, Sandy will put a stop to it.

Home crowd could be pretty influential though, resulting in Spain getting away with a lot on Liz, and her getting flustered, or racking up fouls, or both, and if that happens it's a very different ball game.
As always, our other players just need to play positively and not become too Liz-focussed. So far we've done a decent job of that.

PostPosted: 09/29/18 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree that based on what we've seen so far Australia would be strong favourites on a neutral floor. Depends how much difference the home crowd/court can make.

For what it's worth, the US and Aussies were happy after their QF wins, but Spain/Belgium were over the moon. Worries me a little that they felt that was the big win, while US/Aus are still thinking "win two more".

PostPosted: 09/29/18 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's no way Ndour can guard Cambage. Liz will have a field day against her.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: