RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

FIBA Women's World Cup 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/25/18 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
So Belgium wins the group. Spain finishes 2nd? Japan third? Second round: Spain vs. Senegal & China vs. Japan.

Yeah. People are saying that spain lost on purpose by more then 8 pts to avoid usa in the semi final. But if they make it to the quarter final they will face france ( i heard) so they hsve to make it to the semi s first ifnthey wsnt their 'plan' to succeed

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 09/25/18 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Miyem playing about the same as she did for the Lynx. Terrible. Zero rebounds late in the game.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 09/25/18 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spain's already an injury plagued team, so they decide to not win the group and play an extra game. Granted they'll play Senegal, but now they're looking at Canada (or France) in the quarters and possibly Australia in the semis.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/25/18 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Spain's already an injury plagued team, so they decide to not win the group and play an extra game. Granted they'll play Senegal, but now they're looking at Canada (or France) in the quarters and possibly Australia in the semis.

Yeah i dont believe in the tanking theory either. Nicols was crying after the game. She is a good actress if that was fake. They never thought they would lose against belgium to begin with

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 09/25/18 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Canada wins Group A.

Second Round
Spain vs. Senegal
China vs. Japan
France vs. Turkey
Nigeria vs. Greece

Quarters
Spain/Senegal winner vs. Canada
China/Japan winner vs. Australia
France/Turkey winner vs. Belgium
Nigeria/Greece winner vs. USA

Looking like a clear path for USA to the Finals.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/25/18 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spoke about Brazil earlier, but it's alarming to see the contrast between how Canada has continued to develop their program, by comparison. I can still remember a point when Gaucher was their best player; I really hope that they can finish on the podium, and let her go out with a medal.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/25/18 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Quarters
Spain/Senegal winner vs. Canada
China/Japan winner vs. Australia
France/Turkey winner vs. Belgium
Nigeria/Greece winner vs. USA

Seems like just yesterday that France and Turkey looked like they were on the verge of being powerhouses; now, they have to play each other for the right to face Belgium.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
toad455

PostPosted: 09/25/18 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

France hasn't looked great. The only close quarterfinals game should be Spain vs. Canada. Semis should be Australia vs. Canada (or Spain) & Belgium vs. USA.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/25/18 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
France hasn't looked great. The only close quarterfinals game should be Spain vs. Canada. Semis should be Australia vs. Canada (or Spain) & Belgium vs. USA.

Belgium aren't really the sort of side likely to roll over anyone decent. They could beat France (just like they've already beaten Spain), but I'd be suprised if it was comfortable. The draw's really opened up for the US. The're not going to play a half-decent team until the semis, and even then it's France or Belgium. Meanwhile it's a titanic battle between good teams in the other half to decide who gets to play them in the final. Even China and Japan are dangerous underdog teams compared to the likes of Nigeria and Greece.

PostPosted: 09/25/18 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI, Japan beat China in the Asian Cup semis last year, 74-71. China didn't have Xu Han for the tournament though. Would love to see China advance just to see want Xu could do against Cambage.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/26/18 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Japan and China are both pretty damn good teams. Definitely underestimated them coming in. Japan put up a heck of a showing despite missing two of their three posts (poor Takada has basically been on her own inside and playing 40mins every game). China vs the Aussies could get very interesting, too.

PostPosted: 09/26/18 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
China vs the Aussies could get very interesting, too.

They played a "friendly" 11 days ago. Shades posted the game on the Opals thread so anyone who is interested can still watch it. This one turned out to be a rout in favor of Australia, 84-54. Interestingly, the game was close at the half with Australia leading 34-30. That was with Cambage playing. Without Cambage, Australia dominated the 2nd Half, 50-24. I don't think George played the 2nd Half either, so it looked like the quicker line-up of Magbegor and Smith actually worked better in what was a turnover-filled game. That said, both teams should be better at this point.

PostPosted: 09/26/18 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

there's no way either Greece or Nigeria stand a chance to defeat USA on Friday.

sigur3

PostPosted: 09/26/18 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The end of quarter clock management throughout this tournament has been horrible. This isn't brain surgery...

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/26/18 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
China vs the Aussies could get very interesting, too.

They played a "friendly" 11 days ago. Shades posted the game on the Opals thread so anyone who is interested can still watch it. This one turned out to be a rout in favor of Australia, 84-54. Interestingly, the game was close at the half with Australia leading 34-30. That was with Cambage playing. Without Cambage, Australia dominated the 2nd Half, 50-24. I don't think George played the 2nd Half either, so it looked like the quicker line-up of Magbegor and Smith actually worked better in what was a turnover-filled game. That said, both teams should be better at this point.

And interestingly China just got past Japan by going small for much of the second half. Huang had the game of her life as the de facto 4. So if the Aussies want to bench Cambage, I'm sure they'll happily go against the smaller options instead.

That said, this is a super-young Chinese squad. They're built to be at their best in 4-8 years, so anything immediate has to be a bonus.

PostPosted: 09/26/18 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

China could be a medal contender even at the 2020 Olympics. Let's see what countries like Belgium, Spain, France & even Canada do to progress over the next two years.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/26/18 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nigeria building solid lead vs. Greece. Greece just completely out of sync and don't have the speed/stamina to keep up with Nigeria.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/26/18 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
there's no way either Greece or Nigeria stand a chance to defeat USA on Friday.

US should beat either of these two by 30+ even without playing a lick of defense.

PostPosted: 09/26/18 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nigeria & Greece are just sloppy teams. A shame one of them will advance while Japan is going home.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/26/18 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kudos to Nigeria. Huge leap forward for this country. Enjoy the moment!

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 09/26/18 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
And did Ramu Tokashiki not make the Japan team? Is she injured?

Just saw this posted:

https://highposthoops.com/2018/09/26/japans-world-cup-ends-tokyo-olympics/

toad455

PostPosted: 09/26/18 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Possible upset as Senegal and Spain are tied at halftime. Spain just looks off today.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/26/18 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Possible upset as Senegal and Spain are tied at halftime. Spain just looks off today.

Today? They havent looked themselves this whole tournament. But that is mainly because Torrens is playing like crap

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/26/18 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surely it doesn't happen, but it would be damn funny if the result of trying to avoid the USA was being eliminated by Senegal.
Fun game so far. (Though it is me or have the refs swallowes their whistles on a number of Senegalese travels)

PostPosted: 09/26/18 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Surely it doesn't happen, but it would be damn funny if the result of trying to avoid the USA was being eliminated by Senegal.
Fun game so far. (Though it is me or have the refs swallowes their whistles on a number of Senegalese travels)

By my count they've let approximately 354627847 travels go so far in this tournament. So I've pretty much given up.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: