RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Grrrrr

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LFO

PostPosted: 02/03/18 3:17 am    ::: Grrrrr Reply Reply with quote

I registered as AFO months ago and could not get on. Reregistered tonight as LVFO. Said I had to wait until someone emailed me. Still waiting for AFO confirmation.
Sorry for the LFO post. That belongs to Katie.
BTW.....How would anyone 'hear" I would trade the #1 pick.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/03/18 3:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, for the right return, why wouldn't you trade #1?

PS thanks for stopping by.

- Amanda Gorman
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/03/18 3:37 am    ::: Re: Grrrrr Reply Reply with quote

LFO wrote:
I registered as AFO months ago and could not get on. Reregistered tonight as LVFO.

Try again. Both accounts should now be active.

PostPosted: 02/03/18 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The voice himself to confirm !!!! Welcome Back Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Cool Cool

PostPosted: 02/03/18 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I have had multiple people over the years say they've tried to join here and had trouble. Don't know if it might be possible to make the process easier or more automated. We don't want the place to just end up being a closed shop without any new blood.

PostPosted: 02/03/18 9:07 am    ::: Re: Grrrrr Reply Reply with quote

LFO wrote:

People hear what other people say, and sometimes they say stuff without any actual knowledge of the subject.

#NATC

PostPosted: 02/03/18 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
For what it's worth, I have had multiple people over the years say they've tried to join here and had trouble. Don't know if it might be possible to make the process easier or more automated. We don't want the place to just end up being a closed shop without any new blood.

The process is a pain in the arse.
Because we are currently stuck on old software without any Captcha ability, Reb uses a manual email verification method to prevent a ton of bots from constantly signing up, but unfortunately he is not especially vigilant about checking for those emails (and I think people often miss the requirement to even send them). I get why, because for a little while back when I was chief moderator I was put on the main mailing list, and there were literally hundreds of emails each day from bots registering accounts here.

I'm now able to perform that final user activation function as well, so a while back I added a note in the FAQ for new users to send the email to me as well/instead, and I can generally turn that around very quickly. There's probably some email template somewhere that Reb has set up that I should get that note added to as well. I must check that.

The ultimate aim of course is to upgrade the software and automate the process. That was meant to happen prior to the 2017 WNBA season, but didn't. I'm *really* hoping it can get done prior to the 2018 season - to the point where I am prepared to pay a suitably qualified person to do it if Reb is unable to. So fingers crossed on that. Reb will still need to be willing to hand over the (virtual) keys to this place to that person for it to be possible.
[/sidetrack]

PostPosted: 02/03/18 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

The process is a pain in the arse.
Because we are currently stuck on old software without any Captcha ability, Reb uses a manual email verification method to prevent a ton of bots from constantly signing up, but unfortunately he is not especially vigilant about checking for those emails (and I think people often miss the requirement to even send them). I get why, because for a little while back when I was chief moderator I was put on the main mailing list, and there were literally hundreds of emails each day from bots registering accounts here.

I'm now able to perform that final user activation function as well, so a while back I added a note in the FAQ for new users to send the email to me as well/instead, and I can generally turn that around very quickly. There's probably some email template somewhere that Reb has set up that I should get that note added to as well. I must check that.

The ultimate aim of course is to upgrade the software and automate the process. That was meant to happen prior to the 2017 WNBA season, but didn't. I'm *really* hoping it can get done prior to the 2018 season - to the point where I am prepared to pay a suitably qualified person to do it if Reb is unable to. So fingers crossed on that. Reb will still need to be willing to hand over the (virtual) keys to this place to that person for it to be possible.
[/sidetrack]

Reading what Luuuc has written reminds me that it's a good time to say THANK YOU to those who work hard to keep this board going. That shouldn't be taken for granted; at times I have. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: 02/03/18 10:19 am    ::: Re: Grrrrr Reply Reply with quote

LFO wrote:
I registered as AFO months ago and could not get on. Reregistered tonight as LVFO. Said I had to wait until someone emailed me. Still waiting for AFO confirmation.

Wishing you well in Las Vegas, LFO. I have great respect for you as a coach and GM. Moreover, as a Liberty fan, it was terrific to read your LFO comments. I hope Vegas fans are as appreciative of AFO as many of us were of LFO.

PostPosted: 02/03/18 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To add to what pilight said already - some people hear voices.....

Despite any issues with creating new accounts, the system in place does work well for preventing bots and spammers that seem to pop up all too often in other sites I frequent. The efforts of those involved are appreciated.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/03/18 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Despite any issues with creating new accounts, the system in place does work well for preventing bots and spammers that seem to pop up all too often in other sites I frequent. The efforts of those involved are appreciated.

The downside is that it makes having multiple aliases a pain. I always enjoyed using a bunch of different names on the ESPN boards.

PostPosted: 02/03/18 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:

The downside is that it makes having multiple aliases a pain. I always enjoyed using a bunch of different names on the ESPN boards.

It doesn't stop some people

merlina

PostPosted: 02/03/18 2:44 pm    ::: Re: Grrrrr Reply Reply with quote

LFO wrote:

According to Alan Barfcoff, pretty much every coach and player in the league except EDD is his best friend and tell him all their secrets.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/03/18 6:08 pm    ::: Re: Grrrrr Reply Reply with quote

merlina wrote:
LFO wrote:

According to Alan Barfcoff, pretty much every coach and player in the league except EDD is his best friend and tell him all their secrets.

X_____________

How often has he been wrong with his inside information? I've lost count. Of course when he is right, he brags he's the best source for inside information.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
sigur3

PostPosted: 02/03/18 6:26 pm    ::: Re: Grrrrr Reply Reply with quote

Edit: Nvm, just gonna let this one play out Laughing

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/03/18 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My personal nickname for Barcoff is B-Rob, as his career accuracy rate lies somewhere in between the career 3 point percentages of A-Rob and D-Rob.

PostPosted: 02/04/18 4:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I'm *really* hoping it can get done prior to the 2018 season - to the point where I am prepared to pay a suitably qualified person to do it if Reb is unable to.

If it comes to that, you should look into a way for us to help you out through some form of crowdfunding or pay pal payments. My guess is that many of us would be willing to contribute something for the cause.

PostPosted: 02/04/18 6:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
My personal nickname for Barcoff is B-Rob, as his career accuracy rate lies somewhere in between the career 3 point percentages of A-Rob and D-Rob.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
wnbafan

PostPosted: 02/04/18 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

[/sidetrack]

If necessary, start a go fund me to cover the software upgrade. I would be happy to donate a few dollars.

stever

PostPosted: 02/04/18 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
I'm *really* hoping it can get done prior to the 2018 season - to the point where I am prepared to pay a suitably qualified person to do it if Reb is unable to.

If it comes to that, you should look into a way for us to help you out through some form of crowdfunding or pay pal payments. My guess is that many of us would be willing to contribute something for the cause.

Jesus, P. T. Barnum was right. Google Adsense has been installed here for years, it's not a money problem.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/04/18 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I am hopeful that nothing like that will be necessary.

PostPosted: 02/04/18 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Jesus, P. T. Barnum was right. Google Adsense has been installed here for years, it's not a money problem.

Yeah, I don't have a clue as to how much that generates versus how much the servers cost to operate, nor where that money ends up. Just didn't want to see Luuuc get stuck with a big IT bill if it came to that.

If it is easily covered, all the better.

PostPosted: 02/05/18 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

It's a low traffic website. Judging from the "view counts" on the threads, I don't think there are more than 500 hundred regular visitors between the WNBA and NCAA forums (if that), which probably doesn't bring in much Google Ad revenue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: