RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Right now, the team you think will win the NC is:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/02/18 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ewecon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
UConn has to be the favorite, but you never know ... one injury (to any top team) could change everything.

How can they be the favorite if their not even the defending champ ? Id keep
South Carolina as the favorite until someone knocks them off then the favorite becomes Miss. State. The team that knocked off everyone's "Projected" favorite.

You're keeping SC as the favorite? Seriously?

That post was 2 months ago , ive gotten a chance to get a better look and although i know they wont win. They are the defending champs so until they have been dethrowned .

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/02/18 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I think this UConn team, more than any of those in past years, is beatable. it's just a case of by whom.

As one who is light years more familiar with the team, I disagree.

PostPosted: 03/05/18 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
I think this UConn team, more than any of those in past years, is beatable. it's just a case of by whom.

As one who is light years more familiar with the team, I disagree.

For the sake of clarification, assuming no health issues, this team is somewhat better than last year's. My main point is that most folks seem to believe last year's team was as good, and as invincible, as the 3 teams before it. "The Streak" served as a nice facade.

As such, we now have the espn horseshit of "greatest upset in the history of the world".

This year, as last, I don't expect CT to win the NC, nor do I consider them any more vulnerable than last year.

All that said, it did take a blown last CT possession after a pretty shitty overall performance (much credit to Vic and MS ST) and a buzzer-beater in OT to take them down.

PostPosted: 03/05/18 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCONN played everyone except Baylor, Mississippi St and Oregon this year. They struggled with Texas and Notre Dame stayed with them for 3 quarters. But for the most part when they wanted to win they were head and shoulders better than everyone. Baylor presents a unique challenge because of Cox and Brown, but without Wallace I think they can be pressured. MSU would have to have lightning strike twice, and Oregone would need to shoot lights out for 40 minutes.

It isn't a lock, but I would take UCONN -8 right now against anybody.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/05/18 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I said before this season is so Whackadoodle. Miss st should have played a tougher schedule and played more on the road as it could come back to bite them.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/05/18 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't buy the idea that MS ST needed to play more away games or schedule tougher. They went to the final last year, folks!

They didn't need a road test or another top 5 opponent.

They finally beat SC this year and won the SEC.

Maybe the pressure of being undefeated AND winning the SECT vs SC got to them. That's not something a road game vs a Top 10 team in Dec would have changed, imo, other than the undefeated aspect, possibly.

Last edited by cthskzfn on 03/05/18 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/05/18 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the Year of the Wackadoodle. Or, as my late ex used to say, anything can happen...and usually does.

PostPosted: 03/16/18 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sticking w/ the Bulldogs.

The loss to SCarolina removes the undefeated pressure, pisses them off and gets their mind right.

Plus, Vic obviously has The Lord on his side.

Hail State.

PostPosted: 03/17/18 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
They struggled with Texas and Notre Dame stayed with them for 3 quarters.

Actually, ND didn't just "stay with them" for much of that time. You make it sound like ND was just hanging on. ND was up 7 at the half and up 8 at the end of the 3rd quarter. ND got the lead with 4:28 left in the 2nd half and didn't lose that lead until 4:38 left in the game. And this was from a team that was on its last game on a 3 week, 7 game stretch of road games (4th straight against ranked teams, 5th out of the last 6th) that consisted of 9,800 round-trip miles of travel. Oh, and it was also just 5 days after losing a bench player who was averaging 8 ppg and 4 rpg.

Basically, both teams were tired out, it's just that UConn had the home crowd to pump up that extra bit of adrenaline to get them to come back and win.

If they do meet in the FF, ND won't have traveled 9,800 miles over the previous 21 days, and it will be on a neutral court. ND's depth has gone down a bit further, but they've now had time to adjust to that situation.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/18/18 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
They struggled with Texas and Notre Dame stayed with them for 3 quarters.

Actually, ND didn't just "stay with them" for much of that time. You make it sound like ND was just hanging on. ND was up 7 at the half and up 8 at the end of the 3rd quarter. ND got the lead with 4:28 left in the 2nd half and didn't lose that lead until 4:38 left in the game. And this was from a team that was on its last game on a 3 week, 7 game stretch of road games (4th straight against ranked teams, 5th out of the last 6th) that consisted of 9,800 round-trip miles of travel. Oh, and it was also just 5 days after losing a bench player who was averaging 8 ppg and 4 rpg.

Basically, both teams were tired out, it's just that UConn had the home crowd to pump up that extra bit of adrenaline to get them to come back and win.

If they do meet in the FF, ND won't have traveled 9,800 miles over the previous 21 days, and it will be on a neutral court. ND's depth has gone down a bit further, but they've now had time to adjust to that situation.

Uconn also lost its best player for a good part of that game with and ankle injury...and Gabby missed much of the game with a migraine.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/26/18 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

6 teams left....

Here's what I'm feeling at the moment...

The NC will be the Lou-MS ST winner, unless-

ND plays Lou in the NC. In that case, ND will win.

I generally think the favorites, in descending order, are:

MS ST
LOU

ND/CT/OR/SCar

PostPosted: 03/26/18 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Ducks don't play D. They've played 2 athletic teams all year and were beaten soundly both times.

I have a similar reaction. Frankly they've beaten PAC teams, and they beat a couple of decent but certainly not elite teams in aTm and OU. But they haven't done anything that suggests to me that they can beat any of the top 5 teams.

I think that the champion will come from among the five teams currently ranked 1-5 in the two polls. There are probably a half dozen teams capable of upsetting one of those five on a given night, but no one I see who can overcome their flaws enough to string together the wins necessary to win it all.

And considering that Baylor's guard play was already its big question mark, if Wallace is out, you can probably reduce the pool to 4.

I guess I was right on target a month ago.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/29/18 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Ducks don't play D. They've played 2 athletic teams all year and were beaten soundly both times.

I have a similar reaction. Frankly they've beaten PAC teams, and they beat a couple of decent but certainly not elite teams in aTm and OU. But they haven't done anything that suggests to me that they can beat any of the top 5 teams.

I think that the champion will come from among the five teams currently ranked 1-5 in the two polls. There are probably a half dozen teams capable of upsetting one of those five on a given night, but no one I see who can overcome their flaws enough to string together the wins necessary to win it all.

And considering that Baylor's guard play was already its big question mark, if Wallace is out, you can probably reduce the pool to 4.

I guess I was right on target a month ago.

Is picking the NC to come from the top 5, a month from the FF, anything but going chalk?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: