RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee @ Stanford on TV: Today @ 3:30pm est
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 12/04/05 10:54 am    ::: Tennessee @ Stanford on TV: Today @ 3:30pm est Reply Reply with quote

According to my guide channel it will be on FCS (or FSN) & MSG.

PostPosted: 12/04/05 11:06 am    ::: Ice vs Ace Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
CARDINAL'S WIGGINS MEETS LADY VOLS' PARKER By Darren Sabedra --San Jose Mercury News

Stanford's Candice Wiggins was in middle school when she played basketball against Tennessee's Candace Parker for the first time. They continued to cross paths in all-star tournaments and summer camps and were teammates two summers ago on a U.S. junior national team.

"She's such an awesome person and was one of my close friends on the team,'' Wiggins said last week. "It was cool getting to know her. She's Candace.''

Today at Maples Pavilion, that Candace -- the one in Tennessee orange, the one who generated a national buzz in March 2004 when she became the first female to win a national high school dunk contest -- will get her first taste of the Tennessee-Stanford rivalry.

Their friendship is close enough that they gave each other nicknames to get around the one letter difference in their names -- Cand-I-ce and Cand-A-ce. Parker calls Wiggins, "Ice,'' and Wiggins calls Parker, "Ace.''

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/colleges/13323500.htm

Wonder of wonders, I get to see this game on Fox Sports Northwest Exclamation

Sass

PostPosted: 12/04/05 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ice and Ace? That is hella cute.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
jimmyk

PostPosted: 12/04/05 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it just me, or is this game just really weird?

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/04/05 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candice's reaction prior to finding out she picked up the offensive foul was...priceless! Laughing

Mathies to LA 2013
vanyogan

PostPosted: 12/04/05 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Candice's reaction prior to finding out she picked up the offensive foul was...priceless! Laughing

Stanford looking good so far but I fear they will just wear out in the second half, just like Texas.

PostPosted: 12/04/05 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Melissa Barlow (or one of the other two refs): it's time to call Zolman on that high school armband she's got partly hidden under her orange one.

Quote:
Uniformity of uniforms has been addressed in the new rules. Head bands and wrist bands must be the same color as the dominant color of the game jersey and the same for all players choosing to wear these uniform extras. http://www.ncaasports.com/story/9022986

jimmyk

PostPosted: 12/04/05 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You gotta almost know what you're looking for to see that green thing. Very hard to see. Of course, if you're down there at court level, looking at her shooting a free throw, you should see it anyway.

gpark33

PostPosted: 12/04/05 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know if there are any other WCBB games on TV tonight? MSG just cut the TN/STAN game right in the middle of a play. Ok, I know it was pretty much over but no warning or anything. So rude...

jimmyk

PostPosted: 12/04/05 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas Tech/Penn State is on ESPN 2 right now...68 seconds left in double OT.

gpark33

PostPosted: 12/04/05 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
Texas Tech/Penn State is on ESPN 2 right now...68 seconds left in double OT.

Thank you!

Have to edit to add on the channel guide says Figure Skating so I didn't know it was here...

O.G.

PostPosted: 12/04/05 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was in Maples today - nice to see it full for a change. Tennessee did a good job shutting down Wiggins and B. Smith, especially in the first half (Brooke had 1 point at the half). "Ace" played well. Obviously I was so hoping she would throw one down but of course the Stanford defense was all over her. I was also very impressed with Sade WG of Tennessee - she showed some amazing quickness with the ball. Stanford can be a contender but they need more leadership from the guard position - IMO this is the key that enabled TN to pull away at the end of both halfs.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 12/05/05 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
You gotta almost know what you're looking for to see that green thing. Very hard to see. Of course, if you're down there at court level, looking at her shooting a free throw, you should see it anyway.

Shanna Zolman's now-illegal armband has irritated me since I first saw it during her freshman year. Not just the armband, but ESPN's harping on its history. Add on Zolman's version of the Tennessee Swagger and my teeth were on edge. It's partly hidden now by orange or white, no more baby blue, but I can spot that green thing a mile away. Dang! I do think I should seek professional help for this phobia, since Tennessee is rolling this year.

Quote:
Shanna Zolman wears it every game. On her left arm, just above her elbow, there is a tight, green sweatband that peeps above a bright baby blue band. It's so inconspicuous that television doesn't always pick up the slim green line on her arm. And from a distance inside Thompson-Boling Arena, it's unnoticeable as well. But it's always there. And it always has been.

Zolman has been wearing her green with pride since the fourth grade when her dad, Kem, gave her an armband to wear prior to her first basketball game ever. Nine years later, that green armband is a mystery to those who happen to notice the contrast from the Lady Vols' orange and light blue trim. "A lot of people have been wondering about that," she says with a smile. But the green is a piece of home, a reminder of family and a hint of what the freshman did during her years wearing green at Wawasee High School.

http://utladyvols.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/031203aaa.html

Grumps

PostPosted: 12/05/05 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
jimmyk wrote:

Shanna Zolman's now-illegal armband has irritated me since I first saw it during her freshman year. Not just the armband, but ESPN's harping on its history. Add on Zolman's version of the Tennessee Swagger and my teeth were on edge. It's partly hidden now by orange or white, no more baby blue, but I can spot that green thing a mile away. Dang! I do think I should seek professional help for this phobia, since Tennessee is rolling this year.

Quote:
Shanna Zolman wears it every game. On her left arm, just above her elbow, there is a tight, green sweatband that peeps above a bright baby blue band. It's so inconspicuous that television doesn't always pick up the slim green line on her arm. And from a distance inside Thompson-Boling Arena, it's unnoticeable as well. But it's always there. And it always has been.

Zolman has been wearing her green with pride since the fourth grade when her dad, Kem, gave her an armband to wear prior to her first basketball game ever. Nine years later, that green armband is a mystery to those who happen to notice the contrast from the Lady Vols' orange and light blue trim. "A lot of people have been wondering about that," she says with a smile. But the green is a piece of home, a reminder of family and a hint of what the freshman did during her years wearing green at Wawasee High School.

You probably do need professional help...All you post about on this board is Z's armband and homophobes...Do you know anything about basketball?

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 12/05/05 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
You probably do need professional help...All you post about on this board is Z's armband and homophobes...Do you know anything about basketball?

Grumps: You've been reading me rather selectively. For proof I know a bit about women's basketball and have been a fan for more than twenty years, read my reply in the post about Mechelle Voepel's column on C. Vivian Stringer.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=92377#92377

stever

PostPosted: 12/05/05 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rocky day for Brooke Smith...from a Marin County paper:
http://www.marinij.com/sports/ci_3280249#

"Stanford's all-conference power forward from San Anselmo was beating herself up emotionally following a physically-demanding 74-67 loss to Tennessee at Maples Pavilion."

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/05/05 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey I can't stand the Zolman armband crap either! Is that thing made out of steel? How come it hasn't fallen apart yet!

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 12/05/05 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:
jimmyk wrote:

Quote:

Well somebody sure likes to bash Shanna Zolman... If green armbands bother people, maybe those people do need help. I guess that means I shouldn't bring up the fact that Zolman also chooses to wear a gray sports bra while most of her other teammates wear black or orange.. Rolling Eyes

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/05/05 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Well somebody sure likes to bash Shanna Zolman... If green armbands bother people, maybe those people do need help. I guess that means I shouldn't bring up the fact that Zolman also chooses to wear a gray sports bra while most of her other teammates wear black or orange.. Rolling Eyes

She's a REBEL! That shouldn't be allowed! But seriously, have you ever had an item of clothing that you sweat on last that long? I'll bet it's on steroids!

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 12/05/05 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've heard a lot of stories of NBA and WNBA players who wear their old jerseys or shorts under their regular team apparel. SDS used to wear her red Oklahoma jersey which you could see from time to time. Michael Jordan wore his North Carolina shorts underneath his Bulls shorts in every professional game he played. Idea

vanyogan

PostPosted: 12/05/05 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd just like to add that it was Zolman's deadly shooting that maybe won that game.

I'm no big fan but against Stanford her shot was money...

PostPosted: 12/05/05 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My question is, what exactly does it have to do with the playing of the games, anyway? I don't know of many college teams that wear green, and it's very hard to see in the first place. Now if it was some sort of armband that gives her Superwoman sharpshooter powers, I'd be upset about it. But it's a little bitty sliver of green on her arm, for heaven's sakes.

And if I remember correctly, she had it completely covering the outside of her arm and the green showed more the closer to her body you got. It was really, really hard to see. I didn't even know about it, and I live in Tennessee, for the love of Pete.

And yes...I look at Shanna Zolman a lot. Thanks for asking. Wink

Sass

PostPosted: 12/05/05 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People who can't respect the above-average superstitiousness of athletes perhaps shouldn't be watching sports.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
O.G.

PostPosted: 12/06/05 1:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Rocky day for Brooke Smith...from a Marin County paper:
http://www.marinij.com/sports/ci_3280249#

"Stanford's all-conference power forward from San Anselmo was beating herself up emotionally following a physically-demanding 74-67 loss to Tennessee at Maples Pavilion."

I feel bad reading that. Brooke did have a bad game but Tennessee's defense was focused on shutting her down. There's plenty of blame to go around for Stanford. From what I saw, only Kristin Newlin and one freshman (Harmon) did everything they could.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 12/06/05 2:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
People who can't respect the above-average superstitiousness of athletes perhaps shouldn't be watching sports.

Ain't it the truth. That would be like taking all of Patrick Roy's 551 wins, .910 save percentage and 3 Stanley Cups and throw them out because he didn't step on the lines on the way to the net.

*sigh* Patrick, if you're listening, please un-retire. The NHL misses you. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: