RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Gonzaga to the Mountain West?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinkytown

PostPosted: 03/01/18 2:54 pm    ::: Gonzaga to the Mountain West? Reply Reply with quote

Interesting. Might make BYU feel very stupid leaving the MWC to join the WCC previously.

Quote:
The Mountain West Conference could get a big addition, possibly next season.

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson said he has spoken with six university presidents or athletic directors since August about joining the conference.

The only school Thompson identified was Gonzaga, one of the nation's top mid-major programs. Thompson said Gonzaga athletic director Mike Roth reached out to him last fall and that he has spoken with men's basketball coach Mark Few about the possibility of the Zags leaving the West Coast Conference for the MWC.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22609100/gonzaga-talks-mountain-west-conference-join-league

Coyotes

PostPosted: 03/01/18 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd love it if I got to see the Zags play one or two times a year personally. Air Force and Colorado State are close enough to Denver. So, in theory, next year, I could have Stanford, Zags, the South Dakotas, and some other nice teams guaranteed in the Denver Area.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/02/18 2:37 am    ::: Re: Gonzaga to the Mountain West? Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
Interesting. Might make BYU feel very stupid leaving the MWC to join the WCC previously.

Quote:

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson said he has spoken with six university presidents or athletic directors since August about joining the conference.

The only school Thompson identified was Gonzaga, one of the nation's top mid-major programs. Thompson said Gonzaga athletic director Mike Roth reached out to him last fall and that he has spoken with men's basketball coach Mark Few about the possibility of the Zags leaving the West Coast Conference for the MWC.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22609100/gonzaga-talks-mountain-west-conference-join-league

What was their rationale for leaving the Mountain West for the WCC? Doesn't seem like it ever would have been a step-up athletically, but they did join a conference in which I believe every school has a religious affiliation - just like BYU.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 03/02/18 9:45 am    ::: Re: Gonzaga to the Mountain West? Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
dinkytown wrote:

Quote:

What was their rationale for leaving the Mountain West for the WCC? Doesn't seem like it ever would have been a step-up athletically, but they did join a conference in which I believe every school has a religious affiliation - just like BYU.

They went independent in football. Not sure how accurate the Wikipedia link is but it makes it sound like they wanted to be different because Utah was also leaving the MWC. They were going to re-join the WAC instead of WCC before the MWC raided the WAC. BYU has 34k students and the next closest WCC school has 10k (USF), seemed like an odd move other than the private status.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9313_Mountain_West_Conference_realignment#Departure_of_BYU,_addition_of_Fresno_State_and_Nevada

elsie

PostPosted: 03/07/18 4:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the rationale for BYU leaving the moutain west IMO was they thought they would be the big fish in the small pound and be champions each year....that is not the way it worked out...

from what I hear though, BYU might also be coming back to the MWC...apparently the tv package($$$$) is better than the WCC but not sure about an upgrade for the men's rpi's....the women I don't know...Zag WBB recruits skilled position players but not a lot of bulk, which apparently the way the NCAA womens game is going...so I don't know if it will hurt the Lady zags or help them.....I am sure Coach Lisa Fortier has not been asked for input....

dinkytown

PostPosted: 04/01/18 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Likely not to happen in 2018 but decision is likely up to men's bball coach Mark Few per this article: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/commissioner-gonzaga-probably-not-joining-mountain-west-conference-in-2018/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: