RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 UCONN @ #7 TEXAS 1/15/17 espn2 7pm
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/15/18 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Sidebar-I live in NY and it's been sub-zero here for the better part of a month. The Australian Open and it's heat coming on after this....makes me sad and jealous.

I feel your pain. I live in the upper Midwest and a person has to wear a spacesuit to keep from freezing to death from the extreme cold. Mad

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/15/18 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
We thought UConn might be vulnerable to the right team this year but I never would have guessed Texas. And I think while it may give others hope, all the other teams are either also on a down year or have critical injuries. UConn still a big favorite to win it all...just that on a particular night with a particular set of circumstances, somebody just maybe, maybe, maybe could do it. If Texas hadn't come out and hit all those shots early on though, I don't think they could have maintained confidence to play as well as they did for the whole game.

Texas has more overall talent than UConn, and it obviously has a big size advantage to go along w/ it's dribble penetration advantage.

Baylor has the size, not the guard play. Louisville the penetration, not the size.

South Carolina may have both but not on Texas' level.

Imo, Texas is the worst matchup for CT. It better be. Smile

hey geno, how bout a big big!

PostPosted: 01/15/18 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Caron Goudreau doing a remarkable job matched up with Stephens. But then they went away from that matchup and Stephens scored.

Goudreau has improved immensely, imo.

Stevens needs to improve her layup technique. There is no reason for her to get that many blocked.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/15/18 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
The horrible call on Stevens paid off well for UConn because it didn’t allow Texas to run it’s play and then CG missed 1 FT.

But Texas took too much time off the clock trying to trap/foul on the next possession.

Yeah, and they had the chance to foul Williams. Stupid.

PostPosted: 01/15/18 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
We thought UConn might be vulnerable to the right team this year but I never would have guessed Texas. And I think while it may give others hope, all the other teams are either also on a down year or have critical injuries. UConn still a big favorite to win it all...just that on a particular night with a particular set of circumstances, somebody just maybe, maybe, maybe could do it. If Texas hadn't come out and hit all those shots early on though, I don't think they could have maintained confidence to play as well as they did for the whole game.

Texas has more overall talent than UConn, and it obviously has a big size advantage to go along w/ it's dribble penetration advantage.

Baylor has the size, not the guard play. Louisville the penetration, not the size.

Mississippi State is the team that matches better against UCONN than any other team as the have all the ingredients; a quality big, good perimeter shooting, quality guard play, can match UCONN's quickness and play a very good cohesive defense. Plus they beat this UCONN team in a close game. I think if UCONN meets Texas on a neutral court, UCONN wins by double digits. Louisville is also a team for UCONN to reckon with this season. One final thought, Stevens after this game shows her game needs lots of work - anticipate her being a Husky next year.

PostPosted: 01/15/18 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was shaking my head so hard at Texas's endgame execution, or sore lack thereof, that I damn near gave myself whiplash. No clock awareness. No shot selection. No ball thought. C'mon, Horns.

PostPosted: 01/15/18 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I was shaking my head so hard at Texas's endgame execution, or sore lack thereof, that I damn near gave myself whiplash. No clock awareness. No shot selection. No ball thought. C'mon, Horns.

Me too. But I also didn’t think UConn looked much like a #1 team tonight. Top ten, yeah, but tey looked like they could be had, and if they don’t clean up their game, they will be.

PostPosted: 01/15/18 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Minimally coached, poorly disciplined teams typically fare especially poorly against UConn.

Phew! Good thing Texas wasn't one of THOSE! Shocked Razz Laughing

This was a fine game, imo, with either team doing their best to exploit the weaknesses of the other. That's the X/O, coaching part of it. TX's defense was stellar, for 90-some percent of the game. UConn's D & O were both typically strong and durable enough to prevail. Well-played by both.

I do believe Aston has proven she can coach with the best of 'em, if not with the same consistency. (....just YET!!) Cool

PostPosted: 01/16/18 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From this point on if every coach in america does not play Azura to her left then FYREE them all !!

PostPosted: 01/16/18 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Caron Goudreau doing a remarkable job matched up with Stephens. But then they went away from that matchup and Stephens scored.

well, I've seen her a couple of times this year and thought she was totally worthless...so don't know if she's turned a corner or if this is just a fluke game.

i have too, and she keeps contributing in a meaningful way which wasn't the case previously.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/16/18 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
Williams is useless rebounding when she has to lay her body on Holmes. She needs to be free to jump.

And somehow people think that her height won't be an issue to her playing power forward in the WNBA.

Jumping has never been a substitute for height in basketball.

Who has ever said Williams is a full time 4 in the WNBA? Everyone has pretty much agreed she will have to be a SF.

And Do what? Attempt everything a PF would do? Lord knows she wont be put in pick & rolls Embarassed

PostPosted: 01/16/18 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Stevens needs to improve her layup technique. There is no reason for her to get that many blocked.

Stevens needs to improve in quite a few areas. I'm always surprised at the numbers she is able to put up...but height with some athleticism does get you places. Even with her downside, UConn would be in some trouble without her.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/16/18 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
The horrible call on Stevens paid off well for UConn because it didn’t allow Texas to run it’s play and then CG missed 1 FT.

But Texas took too much time off the clock trying to trap/foul on the next possession.

Yeah, and they had the chance to foul Williams. Stupid.

true. I looked at who was on the floor and yelled at them to foul Gabby...but they didn't hear me.

- Amanda Gorman
willtalk

PostPosted: 01/16/18 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Timing and match ups are the foundation for the " on any given night" scenario.

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/16/18 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can we just talk about Lou's eye, the completely missed foul on Gudreau by the refs, and the fact that had a UCONN player caused a black eye like to another team's player, there would be outrage on this board? I thought no matter what, when a player was hit above the neck, they were supposed to go to the monitors?!? She got decked! And it was a foul.

Her eye was purple and almost swollen shut by the second half.

Yes Art, you can blame Lou's flopping and vehemently state that it was her fault and there is no way the refs should've stopped play....and then in a ND thread if the exact same thing happens, berate the officials and then talk about how UCONN would get away with it.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 01/16/18 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wait where was Megan Walker? Is she injured? The #1 recruit didn't even get playing time lmao. Didn't she choose UConn over Texas??

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/16/18 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She ran into her elbow its basketball . Take a hit and keep moving ask Katie Smith.

PostPosted: 01/16/18 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Mississippi State is the team that matches better against UCONN than any other team as the have all the ingredients; a quality big, good perimeter shooting, quality guard play, can match UCONN's quickness and play a very good cohesive defense. Plus they beat this UCONN team in a close game. I think if UCONN meets Texas on a neutral court, UCONN wins by double digits. Louisville is also a team for UCONN to reckon with this season. One final thought, Stevens after this game shows her game needs lots of work - anticipate her being a Husky next year.

I slightly disagree. Of course, MS ST, my favorite non-UConn team matches up very well. They have a better big than texas, but, imo, they don't pose the same perimeter penetration problem. I'm not as concerned about Little Vic or VV taking Nurse/KLS off the dribble, for example.

Also, I'm willing to go into the battle w/ Dangerfield as a soph playing the mins Chong played last year vs itty bitty.

Finally, I'd like to think UConn having the "revenge" mentality will help.

Hey, all 3 teams will be a problem. This is an undersized, overachieving UConn team.

PostPosted: 01/16/18 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Minimally coached, poorly disciplined teams typically fare especially poorly against UConn.

Phew! Good thing Texas wasn't one of THOSE! Shocked Razz Laughing

This was a fine game, imo, with either team doing their best to exploit the weaknesses of the other. That's the X/O, coaching part of it. TX's defense was stellar, for 90-some percent of the game. UConn's D & O were both typically strong and durable enough to prevail. Well-played by both.

I do believe Aston has proven she can coach with the best of 'em, if not with the same consistency. (....just YET!!) Cool

I pretty sure she confirmed my point last night.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/16/18 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Me too. But I also didn’t think UConn looked much like a #1 team tonight. Top ten, yeah, but tey looked like they could be had, and if they don’t clean up their game, they will be.

You're a little more than a year late, but welcome to the party.

PostPosted: 01/16/18 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Not convinced. That was probably the worst executed game we've seen from UConn in quite a long time, yet they still won on the road to a talented team that played one of their best games, at least for a half. They MIGHT lose a game, but there aren't more than about five teams with any chance at all, and they need UConn to play like it did last night, which doesn't happen often.

Watching them last night, it struck me that one of UConn's issues this year (and last) is that they really don't have that unquestionable superstar to bail them out when other things aren't going well. There's no Stewart or Moore type player on this roster. Samuelson is not at that level, nor is anyone else unless it's one of the freshmen who's not playing. Given the series of #1 recruits already lined up for the next several years, that situation is probably temporary. But it showed last year against Miss St, and it showed last night.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/16/18 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
She ran into her elbow its basketball . Take a hit and keep moving ask Katie Smith.

The Texas player was moving with her arm extended horizontally. She swung her arm out to defend and in doing so impeded Samuelson's freedom of movement. The fact that she hit her in the head causing swelling and turning her eye purple makes it excessive. It's a foul. If nothing else it's using an arm bar.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/16/18 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I think a lot of that was a result of fatigue. If you notice, UConn had a significant edge in scoring in the last 2 minutes of every period. Texas played with a lot of energy on both ends of the court but they ran out of gas at the end of every period. And fatigue leads to mental lapses. UConn may not be better conditioned but they have a lot more experience playing through exhaustion because they are required to play hard for 40 minutes. At the end of every period UConn simply played smarter, taking advantage of Texas' mental errors. A perfect example came at the end of the half when Dangerfield stole the inbounds pass after a score. despite playing like crap they still went to the locker room ahead while Texas knew they had played about as good as they were able and still were behind.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/16/18 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Not convinced. That was probably the worst executed game we've seen from UConn in quite a long time, yet they still won on the road to a talented team that played one of their best games, at least for a half. They MIGHT lose a game, but there aren't more than about five teams with any chance at all, and they need UConn to play like it did last night, which doesn't happen often.

Watching them last night, it struck me that one of UConn's issues this year (and last) is that they really don't have that unquestionable superstar to bail them out when other things aren't going well. There's no Stewart or Moore type player on this roster. Samuelson is not at that level, nor is anyone else unless it's one of the freshmen who's not playing. Given the series of #1 recruits already lined up for the next several years, that situation is probably temporary. But it showed last year against Miss St, and it showed last night.

IOW, essentially, you agree w/ what STB said. Wink

PostPosted: 01/16/18 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

IOW, essentially, you agree w/ what STB said. Wink

No, that's actually not what I said. Now if you bother to pay attention to what I actually wrote. . .

Despite playing their worst game, they still won on the road. I think they look like the #1 team, even last night. There's a very small handful of teams that might have the potential to beat them if they play that badly again. But they don't play like that very often, and I don't expect it. One of the reasons they might have a little vulnerability is because they don't have that one take charge superstar that they are used to having. But given their recruiting, that situation is probably temporary.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: