RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA to meet regarding immediate eligibility for transfers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinkytown

PostPosted: 01/14/18 3:28 pm    ::: NCAA to meet regarding immediate eligibility for transfers Reply Reply with quote

A short article. No meeting date is specified and immediate eligibility will likely be academic based.

Quote:
One source told FanRag Sports that while “nothing is official,” the expected GPA for a student athlete to earn immediate eligibility as a transfer would be either a “2.7 or 2.8.” Two other separate sources said that if this rule is passed, it would go into effect on August 1, 2018.

https://www.fanragsports.com/rothstein-ncaa-to-meet-soon-about-immediate-eligibility-for-transfers/

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/14/18 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. I wonder how much (if any) transfers will increase. But I would expect them, too.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/14/18 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As much as I in general don't like transfer flipping, I do think they need to come up with a consistent policy one way or the other so there's not so many apparently subjective decisions.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 01/14/18 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Wow. I wonder how much (if any) transfers will increase. But I would expect them, too.

Along with tampering.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/14/18 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Part of me wonders if grades could now be used to ease or handicap players who have their eyes on other horizons.

(now with spelling variations)
ClayK

PostPosted: 01/15/18 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Part of me wonders if grades could now be used to ease or handicap players who have their eyes on other horizons.

Great point. What difference should it make if you got a C in American history or a B?

So coaches can't take a new job without having to sit out a year unless they get a top 25% performance review?

Still, it's great the NCAA is moving in the direction of recognizing its blatant exploitation of a work force that drives a multi-billion dollar industry.

PostPosted: 01/15/18 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I don't know, but I like the proposed provision about guaranteeing a scholarship for the length of a graduate program. That can only be a good thing for a student who really wants that graduate degree.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/15/18 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From what I have noticed, In NCAA Women's Volleyball the schools normally release their players to play the next season, but they don't always do so.

Of the 2017 Final Four teams, Nebraska starting middle blocker Brianna Holman had to sit out a year after transferring from LSU.

Florida starting libero Carolyn Knop played immediately after transferring from Michigan.

Penn State starting setter Abby Detering played immediately after transferring from Florida.

Defending champion Stanford didn't have any transfers.

auntie

PostPosted: 01/15/18 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There have been women players who have taken advantage of the time the were required to sit out by focusing on their undergraduate education and then starting an advanced degree with a scholarship at their new school. This rule change would discourage this practice.

PostPosted: 01/16/18 5:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Great point. What difference should it make if you got a C in American history or a B?

So coaches can't take a new job without having to sit out a year unless they get a top 25% performance review?

Still, it's great the NCAA is moving in the direction of recognizing its blatant exploitation of a work force that drives a multi-billion dollar industry.

I totally agree.

PostPosted: 01/16/18 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, maybe I'm just being dense, but under this scenario, would a student-athlete who didn't make the grade cut-off for immediate eligibility not be able to transfer at all or just end up under the same rules we're currently using?

(now with spelling variations)
mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/16/18 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
From what I have noticed, In NCAA Women's Volleyball the schools normally release their players to play the next season, but they don't always do so.

Of the 2017 Final Four teams, Nebraska starting middle blocker Brianna Holman had to sit out a year after transferring from LSU.

Florida starting libero Carolyn Knop played immediately after transferring from Michigan.

Penn State starting setter Abby Detering played immediately after transferring from Florida.

Defending champion Stanford didn't have any transfers.

Knop was separated from Michigan. It wasn't her choice to transfer, so Michigan would have made it easy.

The B1G waived its transfer rule for Tiffany Clark to play immediately at Wisconsin after transferring from Michigan.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/16/18 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What would this mean for conference rules? If the NCAA lifted their restrictions, could various conferences still require players to sit out a year for intra-conference transfers?

dinkytown

PostPosted: 01/16/18 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I saw a tweet that was interesting. If grades are used it would violate privacy laws/FERPA since we would immediately know who has bad grades and who doesn’t.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 01/16/18 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I saw a tweet that was interesting. If grades are used it would violate privacy laws/FERPA since we would immediately know who has bad grades and who doesn’t.

I don't see this as violating FERPA privacy laws anymore than applying concussion protocols violates HIPPA health care privacy laws. It is applying standards, not violating privacy.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/16/18 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I don't see this as violating FERPA privacy laws anymore than applying concussion protocols violates HIPPA health care privacy laws. It is applying standards, not violating privacy.

As a college prof., I agree.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/16/18 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
Queenie wrote:

As a college prof., I agree.

Not to mention we get kids that are declared academically ineligible, so you clearly know their grades aren't up to snuff. Now, if you made mention of what their actual GPA was ("Mary cannot transfer due to the fact that she only has a 2.23 GPA"), that is probably a different story and may qualify as a violation of privacy laws.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/16/18 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Consistent with the view that the NCAA should stop the exploitation of student-athlete workers -- whether that view is accurate or not -- I would propose eliminating all sports scholarships, as has always been the practice in the sainted Ivy League.

College students should play sports only for the simple joy of playing sports, for physical education, for health and fitness, for voluntary recreation, and to prepare to win the future battles of Waterloo on the playing fields of Eton. In connection with this moneyless regime, all students including those who play sports should be allowed unlimited transfers from school to school.

Boys and girls who aren't interested in academic studies, which are frankly mostly useless in a vocational sense, shouldn't go to college. It's a gigantic waste of money and a huge cash cow for the bloated and increasingly illiberal institutions.

Boys and girls who aren't interested in academics but who would like to try for careers in professional sports, should have opportunities to join minor leagues in the various sports, as baseball has offered for over 100 years. Let there be actual sports companies to employ these budding sports workers.
tfan

PostPosted: 01/16/18 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

Knop was separated from Michigan. It wasn't her choice to transfer, so Michigan would have made it easy.

"separated"? Was there a press release saying she had been kicked off the team?

She played through the end of 2015 for them, so if she was kicked off, it occurred after the season was over. They told a story (can't remember whether I saw video or read it) during the recent NCAA Volleyball tournament about Knop meeting two Florida players when they were all on the USA Junior National Volleyball Team in the summer of 2015. The Florida players encouraged her to apply to transfer to Florida and they also encouraged the Florida coach to accept her ("we found our libero"). So I think Knop was in her last season (Fall 2015) at Michigan regardless of what may have transpired with her and the coach after it ended.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/17/18 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Consistent with the view that the NCAA should stop the exploitation of student-athlete workers -- whether that view is accurate or not -- I would propose eliminating all sports scholarships, as has always been the practice in the sainted Ivy League.

College students should play sports only for the simple joy of playing sports, for physical education, for health and fitness, for voluntary recreation, and to prepare to win the future battles of Waterloo on the playing fields of Eton. In connection with this moneyless regime, all students including those who play sports should be allowed unlimited transfers from school to school.

Boys and girls who aren't interested in academic studies, which are frankly mostly useless in a vocational sense, shouldn't go to college. It's a gigantic waste of money and a huge cash cow for the bloated and increasingly illiberal institutions.

Boys and girls who aren't interested in academics but who would like to try for careers in professional sports, should have opportunities to join minor leagues in the various sports, as baseball has offered for over 100 years. Let there be actual sports companies to employ these budding sports workers.

That's the European system, pretty much. Private clubs train and develop athletes.

The issue, I think, is that athletics are a profit center for many universities, regardless of how they play with the books, and no administration wants to kill the golden goose.

PostPosted: 01/17/18 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

That's the European system, pretty much. Private clubs train and develop athletes.

The issue, I think, is that athletics are a profit center for many universities, regardless of how they play with the books, and no administration wants to kill the golden goose.

Not just European. Baseball, Hockey, Tennis in the US too have parallel systems. It's not the schools' choices, it's the pro leagues, especially the NFL, that concluded long ago that it was cheaper to abuse colleges as their farm system than to finance and run their own.

Why does the WNBA have some of the most restrictive college class/age requirements in all of pro sports? Far more restrictive than its parent NBA. So what are American girls supposed to do? The WNBA and it's players union deny them any choice.

The problem with your theory that the restrictions are all about money is that the restrictions started long before there was any real money. The NLOI, for example, began back in 1964. Sports weren't a "golden goose" in 1964.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/17/18 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Not just European. Baseball, Hockey, Tennis in the US too have parallel systems. It's not the schools' choices, it's the pro leagues, especially the NFL, that concluded long ago that it was cheaper to abuse colleges as their farm system than to finance and run their own.

Why does the WNBA have some of the most restrictive college class/age requirements in all of pro sports? Far more restrictive than its parent NBA. So what are American girls supposed to do? The WNBA and it's players union deny them any choice.

The problem with your theory that the restrictions are all about money is that the restrictions started long before there was any real money. The NLOI, for example, began back in 1964. Sports weren't a "golden goose" in 1964.

Perhaps in terms of enrollment, donations and alumni support they more than paid for themselves ...

I don't have access to any 1964 university budgets, but I'd have to guess that schools made money on athletics. Otherwise, why would they have them?

I think baseball is pretty restrictive, really, but as you point out, the players' unions define these terms, pretty much. The colleges are more than happy to go along for the ride ...

PostPosted: 01/17/18 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I don't have access to any 1964 university budgets, but I'd have to guess that schools made money on athletics. Otherwise, why would they have them?

For the same reason grade schools, middle schools, and high schools pay to run sports teams, communities pay for little league teams, parishes sponsor CYO teams, etc.

Sports are considered a way to provide exercise, build character and teamwork, keep kids busy and out of trouble, and lots of other reasons. Have been a traditional part of school programs at all levels for over 100 years.

Why do Division 3 schools sponsor sports? Why do any colleges sponsor field hockey or fencing or water polo? It's certainly not to make money.

Your obsession with sports being all about money and only about money leads you to some misplaced conclusions.

BTW, colleges don't "happily" go along for the ride. Best example is that colleges overwhelmingly want the NBA to get rid of their ridiculous one-year rule and go back to taking high school kids. Colleges don't have a say in the matter.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/18/18 4:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

I wouldn't quite say that. They weren't as profitable as they are today, but they were profitable (mostly). If you want some perspective on that try reading a couple of books by Murray Sperber:

Shake Down the Thunder

Onward to Victory

The first book is the best, most unbiased book on the early history of ND Football (It puts the growth into the context of what was going on at other schools, the sport in general, academic debates, etc). Sperber isn't a ND fan (he's a Purdue and Cal grad) and he asked for access to various ND records that were squirreled away in the ND Library basement. He found amazing details on the way the program was run and how sports in general at that time were run. The book ends with the Leahy era (1940s).

The second book kind of starts where the first one left off (around the 1940s), but doesn't deal so much with ND (although ND does play a big role in the story), but deals more with the various scandals, new markets, and how college football dealt with them, and how different factions were suggesting different solutions (like ND and a handful of other schools wanting the accrediting agencies to police the athletic programs instead of giving that job to the NCAA, or how the NCAA took over broadcast rights for TV (because they were concerned with gate receipts, not realizing that you could make more money with TV deals). ND was on the losing side of both those battles in the 1950s).

There has been money in college sports for a very long time.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/18/18 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I wouldn't quite say that. They weren't as profitable as they are today, but they were profitable (mostly). If you want some perspective on that try reading a couple of books by Murray Sperber:

Shake Down the Thunder

Onward to Victory

The first book is the best, most unbiased book on the early history of ND Football (It puts the growth into the context of what was going on at other schools, the sport in general, academic debates, etc). Sperber isn't a ND fan (he's a Purdue and Cal grad) and he asked for access to various ND records that were squirreled away in the ND Library basement. He found amazing details on the way the program was run and how sports in general at that time were run. The book ends with the Leahy era (1940s).

The second book kind of starts where the first one left off (around the 1940s), but doesn't deal so much with ND (although ND does play a big role in the story), but deals more with the various scandals, new markets, and how college football dealt with them, and how different factions were suggesting different solutions (like ND and a handful of other schools wanting the accrediting agencies to police the athletic programs instead of giving that job to the NCAA, or how the NCAA took over broadcast rights for TV (because they were concerned with gate receipts, not realizing that you could make more money with TV deals). ND was on the losing side of both those battles in the 1950s).

There has been money in college sports for a very long time.

Yeah, and Texas high schools build $70 million stadiums too, but that doesn't mean all high school sports are money driven.

I'm not sure that you can extrapolate Notre Dsme's experience in football to all sports of every other college.

The NLOI began in 1964. It wasn't until 1981 that the courts broke the NCAA's Monopoly over football TV rights and money started to become meaningful.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: