RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Larry's Brown Return to Detriot
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missjoy28

PostPosted: 12/03/05 5:31 pm    ::: Larry's Brown Return to Detriot Reply Reply with quote

Well, there were some boos but it was classy of the players to hug Brown.
Marbury is getting his butt kick defensively. Ben Gordon burned him the other day(fortunately we lost the game).

PostPosted: 12/03/05 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not a fan of Starbury. He never seems to have a good balance between scoring and distributing.

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 12/03/05 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of 2 players in NBA history to average 20 points and 8 assists for his career. The other player was only Oscar Robertson.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/03/05 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
One of 2 players in NBA history to average 20 points and 8 assists for his career. The other player was only Oscar Robertson.

And yet, his teams don't really win. He had one good year in Phoenix, but he isn't the floor leader Steve Nash is.

He has the numbers, no doubt. But his decision-making in tight games and at key moments isn't there...he can't figure out when to score or distribute.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/03/05 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that every team he leaves improves by 25+ games.

TWolves 25 wins in 98-99, his last season there, 50 wins the next season.

Nets 26 wins in 00-01, his last season there, 52 wins the next season.

Suns 29 wins in 03-04, his last season there, 62 wins the next season.

Marbury is a good guy to have around if you're angling for a lottery pick. He puts up gaudy numbers and costs alot of money, so the fans have something to ooh and ahh over, but he doesn't help you win. Numbers don't matter when you're sitting home after the first playoff round every year.

PostPosted: 12/03/05 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Steve Nash isn't a great floor leader. He's a good floor leader. Great floor leaders play defense. Not talking about you, but I'm tired of people talking about Nash like he's even a top 15 of all time point guard.

With that out of the way, I'm a much bigger fan of X the person than I am Starbury the player and I'm no Knick fan, but even I can admit that he was dealt a horrible hand once he left Kevin and has done a decent job with what he's been given. Part of knowing when to shoot and when to pass is trusting your teammates. I wouldn't trust some of the players X has played with to walk my dog.

In 3 weeks, up to a third of his teammates that he started the regular season with might be somewhere else. Not one player remains from the Knicks team he came to less than 2 years ago. He's had 11 coaches in less than 10 years. Where is the trust and chemistry supposed to come from?

The problem is people expect Steph to be something he's not. I could have told you 17 years ago when we were 12 years old watching him ball on Neptune Avenue that he wasn't a point guard. He's not even the best player in his family. He's just the only one that didn't screw up. Had Norm, Eric or Donny made it, Steph would have been Gerald Wilkins to their Dominique or Solange to their Beyonce. Bassy Telfair is the point guard everyone outside of Coney Island wanted to believe Steph is. Steph isn't a 1 or a 2. He's a ball player. The only position he plays is playmaker and a damn good one at that. But I think people think that just because he's from NY and had all that NY hype that he was supposed to be the second coming of Cousy. He was never the best guard in NY. Again, he was one of the best that didn't screw up and had a family willing to play the media and blue chip game. Big difference.

Look at the teams Nash has played for. Look at how he was able to play behind Johnson and Kidd back in the day. Then look at the teammates Steph's had since he left Minnesota. To average 5 assists playing with the stiffs he's played with is an accomplishment. Everyone compares him to Nash and Kidd after they went to the same teams without looking at simple basketball facts. Look at when Steve Nash and Jason Kidd got the same players Steph had and the other secondary players he's played with. Amare was a baby on and off the court, Kenyon had a broken leg, Van Horn has the basketball IQ of Olga Firsova, Jefferson was a rookie, Marion couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and Houston played about 20 games.

Other than those guys, look at the rest of the rosters and some of the coaches. Jayson Williams was his starting center and Dwayne Casey was his coach. Shit, even Magic Johnson would have averaged 20 shots a game with those sorry Nets teams.

The whole thing is moot anyway. I'd rather have Chauncey Billups running my team than Marbury, Nash or the current version of Kidd.

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 12/03/05 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that every team he leaves improves by 25+ games.

Nets 26 wins in 00-01, his last season there, 52 wins the next season.

Suns 29 wins in 03-04, his last season there, 62 wins the next season.

Marbury is a good guy to have around if you're angling for a lottery pick. He puts up gaudy numbers and costs alot of money, so the fans have something to ooh and ahh over, but he doesn't help you win. Numbers don't matter when you're sitting home after the first playoff round every year.

Are you serious bringing up 25 wins in 98-99? They won 25 games because they only played 50, 29 of which Marbury played before he was traded! There was a lockout, remember? Shocked rotflmao

It's real easy to throw out stats without taking coaching changes, roster changes, injuries, and system changes into account. I didn't know Frank Johnson was comparable to Mike D'Antoni.

Do you know why the Nets got 26 more wins in 2002? Eddie Jordan's offense. Thus the reason everyone called Byron Scott the highest paid assistant coach in the league. How many games did Kenyon Martin play in 2000-01? How many players did the Suns lose to injury in 2003-04? Let's forget about helping lead the Wolves to the playoffs in 96 and 97. How many games did Allan Houston play last year? The year before? How many coaches has Marbury had in less than 2 years in NY?

pilight

PostPosted: 12/03/05 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
It's real easy to throw out stats without taking coaching changes, roster changes, injuries, and system changes into account.

True, which is why the 20 & 8 is misleading. He ain't Oscar Robertson by any stretch of the imagination.

Call me when he wins a playoff series...

PostPosted: 12/03/05 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Nash, but he is totally outta control. And as mentioned, plays only on one side of the floor. I was never too mad that Cuban dealt him away, I just didn't like the way he spent his money on an overpaid stiff who only plays in contract years (aka Dampier). Dirk just had his best year away from Nash because he stopped being a 7-0 shooting guard to become the power forward that he was born to be. Nash is a very good point guard, but he's no Jason Kidd and I agree with harlem that I would rather have a rock-solid guy like Chauncey Billups.
BTW, I would've loved to see Steph and the Cambyman on the same team.

PostPosted: 12/03/05 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:
It's real easy to throw out stats without taking coaching changes, roster changes, injuries, and system changes into account.

True, which is why the 20 & 8 is misleading. He ain't Oscar Robertson by any stretch of the imagination.

Call me when he wins a playoff series...

Saying the Wolves only won 25 games one season and won 50 the next without taking into account that you're comparing 50 games to 82 is also misleading.

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 12/03/05 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
I like Nash, but he is totally outta control. And as mentioned, plays only on one side of the floor. I was never too mad that Cuban dealt him away, I just didn't like the way he spent his money on an overpaid stiff who only plays in contract years (aka Dampier). Dirk just had his best year away from Nash because he stopped being a 7-0 shooting guard to become the power forward that he was born to be. Nash is a very good point guard, but he's no Jason Kidd and I agree with harlem that I would rather have a rock-solid guy like Chauncey Billups.
BTW, I would've loved to see Steph and the Cambyman on the same team.

There you go again making sense. Isiah said the same thing about Marc and Steph after watching the Knicks lose in Denver. X will get his chance to redeem himself with Channing for his unforgivable sin of leaving a big man. Marc is super human this year. Couldn't have happened to a better guy. Now if he can just stay healthy.

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 12/03/05 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love it when people get on Stephon's case and disregard everything. It's obvious in examining his teams that they don't know what they're talking about from a basketball standpoint. It usually makes no sense to reason with these people and from reading this thread, this is no exception.

Call ME when Nash or Kidd win a championship. Until then, they're all in the same boat as Marbury.
BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/04/05 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since we're talking about how team records get better when Marb leaves, there is one thing to keep in mind. How Larry Brown's teams get better only in his 2nd year as a coach. The Knicks are set to make an impact in the playoffs next year. I don't think they'll be making the playoffs this year, but you never know in a weak-ass division like the Atlantic and with the Nets losing to the lowly Raptors at home (not that they have a big homecourt advantage, but anyway). Someone in the Atlantic will make it by winning the division, so far the Sixers are leading, but they still have a losing record and have played in 18 games whereas the Knicks have played in 15 games. It starts today with beating the Celts at home. Beating our division rivals is the key because we can't do much against the Central or even the Southwest divisions. The Bulls would be leading the Atlantic and they are dead last in the Central. Reminds me of the NL East and NL West, but anyways, I guess Larry knows what it takes and also that we are going to see some trades before the upcoming trading deadline.

PostPosted: 12/04/05 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Knicks waived Matt Barnes yesterday to make room for one of the 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 deals Isiah has in the works. If he can't pull the trigger, look for him to sign a free agent. It's not a coincidence that Antonio Davis' trade restriction comes off today and Barnes was waived yesterday. And don't believe Larry's nonsense about starting players in their hometowns. He's trying to see who and what works together but he's also showcasing certain players for other teams. Isiah must feel pretty confident that a deal will go through because he was really high on Barnes.

The Knicks will make an impact on the playoffs this year. They might bounce around between 8 and 10 but they will play spoiler for a lot of teams and beat teams people think they shouldn't come the second half of the season. Anyone who actually knows the game of basketball can see that the Knicks of 3 weeks ago or the last 3 years would have never been in that game against Detroit. Any other team other than San Antonio or Miami, and the Knicks win that game. Instead of looking at stats and wins and losses expecting a bottom feeder to turn into a contender over night, people should be looking at the improvement the team has made and how far that improvement will take everyone on the team not named Taylor, Rose, Hardaway or Davis. But people who are all about stats and know nothing about rebuilding teams or young teams who've never won, can't see that the Knicks will take 2 steps forward and 1 step back for a while. Regardless of the end result, the Detroit game was a microcosm of that and in the long run can only be viewed as a positive.

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 12/04/05 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

When posting stats to back up an argument goes horribly wrong in so many ways.

harlem_basketball wrote:
The Knicks waived Matt Barnes yesterday to make room for one of the 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 deals Isiah has in the works. If he can't pull the trigger, look for him to sign a free agent.

That's part of the problem. I understand Isiah wants the team to get better, but unless he's getting a superstar and getting rid of the dead weight, his trigger happy trading is only going to set the team back even more. I hope part of his plan is allowing Ariza, Butler, and Frye to develop.

I also like the way people in their endless Marbury hate fail to mention that yet again in his career, guys that were supposed to help him carry the team, Curry and Richardson have not been healthy yet all year.
pilight

PostPosted: 12/04/05 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
pilight wrote:

Would you rather do winning percentage? From .500 to .610 is less dramatic, I guess, but the point doesn't really change.

PostPosted: 12/04/05 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
f_blaze_coalition wrote:
pilight wrote:

Would you rather do winning percentage? From .500 to .610 is less dramatic, I guess, but the point doesn't really change.

Pilight, I'm going to need you to understand 2 things that have already been pointed out to you.

1) There was no 98 to the 98-99 season.
2) Marbury finished the year in Jersey since he was traded 28 or 29 games into the 50 game season. He wasn't even a part of those 25 wins or losses. What is so difficult for you to get about that?

The 2 years before he was traded, the Wolves made the playoffs and lost in the first round as they would do 5 more times. Not only that, but Tom Gugliotta, who was actually good back then and was the 3rd head to the 3 headed monster, left for Phoenix before the lockout.
harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 12/04/05 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, Marbury only played in 18 games for Minnesota in 99. Makes the stat even more worthless.

But we can play the stat game if you like.

In 00-01, Marbury played in 67 games for the Nets.

Keith Van Horn - 49 games played.
Jayson Williams - out with a broken leg that ended his career
Kerry Kittles - out for the season

During the off season, Marbury was traded.

Van Horn in 01-02 - 81 games played
Kittles in 01-02 - 82 games played

In 03-04, Marbury played 34 games for the Suns before being traded to the Knicks.

Amare Stoudemire - 55 games played the entire year, missed between 15 and 18 of Marbury's 34 games with the team.

Amare Stoudemire in 04-05 - 80 games played.

In 03-04, Marbury played 47 games in NY.

Allan Houston played 50 games total the same year. Marbury was traded to the team on January 5, on February 3, Houston went on the injured list for the first time ever as a Knick.

In 04-05, Allan Houston played 20 games.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/04/05 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, the best record the T-Wolves had during Marbury's time there was 45-37 .549 in 97-98.

In the five years after he left they went...

50-32 .610
47-35 .573
50-32 .610
51-31 .622
58-24 .728

They were better with Terrell Brandon, Troy Hudson, or Sam Cassell running the point. I would take Cassell over Marbury any day of the week.

PostPosted: 12/04/05 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
OK, the best record the T-Wolves had during Marbury's time there was 45-37 .549 in 97-98.

In the five years after he left they went...

50-32 .610
47-35 .573
50-32 .610
51-31 .622
58-24 .728

They were better with Terrell Brandon, Troy Hudson, or Sam Cassell running the point. I would take Cassell over Marbury any day of the week.

This is really, really sad, this whole grasping at straws tactic. The names Wally Szczerbiak, Joe Smith, and Latrell Sprewell mean nothing, huh? Garnett wasn't even the same KG back then. Who wouldn't take Sammy over any point guard not named Kidd or Billups? He's got 2 championships, made Jayson Williams an All-Star and is one of the most underrated players of the past decade. That's like trying to sound like you're saying something revolutionary by pointing out that you'd take a million dollars over 500,000.

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 12/04/05 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Somebody is learning the hard way in this thread. This is akin to arguing with Phil Jackson about the triangle offense.
harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 12/04/05 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
Somebody is learning the hard way in this thread. This is akin to arguing with Phil Jackson about the triangle offense.

Tex Winter.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/04/05 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:

This is really, really sad, this whole grasping at straws tactic.

You mean trying to pick apart one example out of three (and the oldest one at that) to try and disprove the plain truth of Marbury's overratedness?

PostPosted: 12/04/05 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:

This is really, really sad, this whole grasping at straws tactic.

You mean trying to pick apart one example out of three (and the oldest one at that) to try and disprove the plain truth of Marbury's overratedness?

No, this whole inability you have to see that I've already said Marbury was overrated coupled with your inability to play your own game. Then, when I play by your rules and post statistics that are just as telling as the ones you post, you ignore them because they don't fit your argument. How can I possibly take your stats seriously when you don't even know what you're posting? That 25 wins to 50 was one of the most egregious statistical errors I've ever seen posted on a sports board and highlights your bias.

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 12/04/05 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A classic case of not knowing when to say when. I've never gotten the idea of arguing with someone who isn't really opposing you. All harlem has done is point out that criticizing Marbury has to go deeper than winning percentages. What's with acting like she said he's Isiah Thomas Jr.?

As for Marbury, you can post all the stats you want but the double standards are amazing. Jason Kidd is a career coach killer and he gets a pass. Steve Nash has never played defense a day in his life and he gets a pass. Allen Iverson has some of the worst shot selection ever and he gets a pass. Mike Bibby takes just as many shots as Marbury and he gets a pass. Yet none of them from Marbury to Kidd to Nash to Iverson to Bibby have won a ring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: