Board Junkies Forums

2018 Schedule
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 02/23/18 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
NYL & CON are close geographically and seeding wise. Seems ideal. Might become a yearly thing if they stay there.

Cutting $$$$$$ also

That’s the idea. It’s a two hour drive. Plus you get more fans from the opposing team to fill your venue and maybe use your local hotels.

If San Antonio was still a WNBA club, wouldn’t it make sense if they were the ones Dallas played 4 times every year?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/23/18 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
NYL & CON are close geographically and seeding wise. Seems ideal. Might become a yearly thing if they stay there.

Cutting $$$$$$ also

That’s the idea. It’s a two hour drive. Plus you get more fans from the opposing team to fill your venue and maybe use your local hotels.

If San Antonio was still a WNBA club, wouldn’t it make sense if they were the ones Dallas played 4 times every year?

Exactly i felt like we played SAN 5 or 6 times a season sometimes lol now that will be PHX and im not a bit upset about it . Great competition

PostPosted: 02/23/18 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, if they really want to save money, the WNBA should go back to the old division format.

I guess it depends on your goal. The NFL intentionally gives good teams the harder schedule, so that's essentially an attempt to match seeds. MLB unabashedly looks for games that generate the most interest. Geographic matches usually come with natural rivalries, so that's the most common basis for their annual interleague pairings. However, the Mets complained about having to play the Yankees all the time because the Bronx Bombers are almost always good. That's a disadvantage for the Mets because all games count in the pennant race, but their NL rivals usually end up with an easier interleague schedule. As a compromise, MLB kept the annual Mets-Yankees series but reduced the number of games from 6 to 4. So, fairness did become a mitigating factor.

In the WNBA, we're talking about one game so it doesn't seem like much. But in a short season where teams are often tightly packed and seeding goes down to the last day, one game could realistically make a difference. I would just like to see a policy stated and implemented so that it doesn't look like arbitrary decision making, which is what the WNBA too often looks like they're doing.

PostPosted: 02/23/18 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
In the WNBA, we're talking about one game so it doesn't seem like much. But in a short season where teams are often tightly packed and seeding goes down to the last day, one game could realistically make a difference. I would just like to see a policy stated and implemented so that it doesn't look like arbitrary decision making, which is what the WNBA too often looks like they're doing.

In fairness, they actually did - http://www.wnba.com/news/regular-season-playoff-format-changes-2016-season/
Quote:
Each team’s opponent breakdown was selected at random and will be rotated annually to ensure a fair balance of the schedule.

And also in fairness, you're not actually playing Connecticut four times this season - it's actually NY/Chicago and Washington/Connecticut (plus Ind/Atl, LA/Min, LV/Phx, Dal/Sea) for the extra games. Based on the schedules I see, anyway. Don't know why that's different from what pilight found before.

PostPosted: 04/02/18 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I gotta tell ya, I still miss the Charlotte Sting's printable schedules. Whole thing on one page. I wish the Storm would figure that out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: