RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Militarization of the Police Strikes Again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 12/30/17 8:45 pm    ::: The Militarization of the Police Strikes Again Reply Reply with quote

Alleged prank 'swatting' call turns deadly with fatal police shooting of man in Kansas

The prank caller is going to get all the blame, but I would give it to a new style of policing that says "if we see your hand move towards your waist, you are dead". They killed a guy in a hotel recently who for some reason they told to crawl to them (rather than just lay flat with arms stretched out) and he reached back (probably to pull up his pants/underwear as he was unarmed) and that was when they blew him away with a half-dozen bullets.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/30/17 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The prank caller deserves blame, but so does the cop

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/31/17 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"thank you for your service"

PostPosted: 01/01/18 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

as I understand it, when you make a 911 call from a cellphone your location can be located through triangulation. since this call came from a cell, why don't the 911 operators have access to that technology? if they did, they would've seen that this call came from CALIFORNIA! perhaps that's something to look into.

PostPosted: 01/01/18 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
as I understand it, when you make a 911 call from a cellphone your location can be located through triangulation. since this call came from a cell, why don't the 911 operators have access to that technology? if they did, they would've seen that this call came from CALIFORNIA! perhaps that's something to look into.

I don't understand how it works so hopefully someone can explain it, but I read that it was done by spoofing the number.

I answer the phone where I work and we often get calls that appear to be 'local' (our area code and prefix) that are spam callers wanting to get our copier info and to update our Google account info.

Also, will triangulation work if the location service is turned off on the phone? How long does it take to do the triangulation?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 01/02/18 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
scullyfu wrote:

I don't understand how it works so hopefully someone can explain it, but I read that it was done by spoofing the number.

I answer the phone where I work and we often get calls that appear to be 'local' (our area code and prefix) that are spam callers wanting to get our copier info and to update our Google account info.

Also, will triangulation work if the location service is turned off on the phone? How long does it take to do the triangulation?

There are plenty of apps that do this on your smartphone (assuming you have an Android handset). You plug in what number you want to show up on their caller ID followed by the number you want to call. It's totally illegal nowadays but the apps are still out there.

The problem is, nobody really cares if people spoof their number and do it to you as long as:
1) The spoofer isn't stealing from the government, or
2) The spoofer isn't swatting anyone.

If you get scammed by these people, nobody's really going to do anything unfortunately.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: