RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Small PG w/ best chance to be drafted and stick around?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/18 12:18 pm    ::: Small PG w/ best chance to be drafted and stick around? Reply Reply with quote

Morgan William vs. Tyra Buss vs. Katelynn Flaherty vs. Brooke McCarty?

Same question even if you think one or more is more of a SG.
Brinx

PostPosted: 04/02/18 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Jordan Canada count? She's only an inch or so taller than this group.

blaase22

PostPosted: 04/02/18 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Canada Very Happy

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/18 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

C'mon, this is to speculate about Cinderella selections.
toad455

PostPosted: 04/02/18 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Flaherty has a solid three point shot. William is pesky, but sometimes a bit out of control. Buss has nothing special to her game. And McCarty is just too small. All have a small shot of making a roster.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 04/02/18 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It may have to do a lot more with which team she goes to than the player herself.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/02/18 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can any of them shoot? Because honestly, if you want to survive as a midget point guard at this level, 1) Be quick, obviously, 2) Be able to run a team, and 3) Shoot at least 35% from three.

I looked up William's numbers yesterday when I was wondering about her and wasn't particularly impressed (and that's with a behemoth inside constantly drawing defenders). My guess for her is she gets drafted but doesn't make it through camp.

Although as always with these fringe candidates, destination is hugely important. Get drafted somewhere with a hole at your spot and you might have a chance; go to the wrong place and you've got no hope from the start.

PostPosted: 04/02/18 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They are all so different which is interesting. Of those four I’d say Flaherty is the best shooter, Buss is the best scorer, William is the best defender and McCarty is the fastest. But, since they are all so small it will be difficult to make a roster though it may not be impossible depending on where they land.

sigur3

PostPosted: 04/02/18 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Can any of them shoot? Because honestly, if you want to survive as a midget point guard at this level, 1) Be quick, obviously, 2) Be able to run a team, and 3) Shoot at least 35% from three.

Be quick: William, McCarty
Be able to run a team: William, Buss, McCarty
Can shoot: Flaherty (exceptionally so), McCarty

bballgrl

PostPosted: 04/02/18 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Be quick: William, McCarty
Be able to run a team: William, Buss, McCarty
Can shoot: Flaherty (exceptionally so), McCarty

You don't think William can shoot? She can shoot the 3- she is an excellent free throw shooter(hardly ever misses)-with her small size she can quickly get to the basket. Her team only lost 2 games this season. I know the w is faster than college but I would give her a shot.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 04/02/18 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

None they are all too small.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/02/18 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Destination is key.

I'm not as sure about William and McCarty; my guess is that if Buss goes to Indiana she sticks for a while just to bring local flavor, while Flaherty needs to go to a patient team that needs a spot shooter.

PostPosted: 04/02/18 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG ATM

I think all in question need a team that may go 3 deep at the position to have a shot, the list below also does not include players drafted higher than the small guards in question.

Atl Clarendon, Montgomery
Conn J. Thomas, Banham, Romero (Sometimes) Bentley
Chi Sloot, Faulkner
Indy Wheeler, (Sometimes) S. Johnson
NY (Sometime) Harltey, Boyd, L. Allen
Wash Toliver, Cloud

Dallas Diggins, Chong
LA Gray, Sims (sometimes) Pondexter, Dabovic
LV Plum, Jefferson, Colson
Minn Whalen, D-Rob (sometime) Wright, A. Jones
PX K. Mitchell, January (Sometimes) Taurasi
Seattle Bird, Quinn, Peterson

(Sometimes) = might not play PG primarily but can and probably will be used there before a small rookie PG.

I could see Atl possibly taking on a 3 PG but it would knock Lucas off the roster. Maybe Dallas goes for a 3 PG with their 2nd or 3rd round pick. LV has some question marks but Laimbeer is on record about not wanting small guards. Indy there is a small shot, but that also relies on them not adding a PG with #8 or #14 instead.

I think all of these players could be drafted mid second round through 3rd round, but it will be hard to stick anywhere.

Last edited by J-Spoon on 04/02/18 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 04/02/18 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think the Dream need another guard. We now have two PG's (Clarendon and Montgomery) and 3 SG's (Hayes, Sykes, Lucas). I'd rank our needs as backup 3 then a backup post. Of course, they may not draft based on need at 16 as much as BPA, esp. if someone falls way below expectations.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/02/18 9:25 pm    ::: Re: Small PG w/ best chance to be drafted and stick around? Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Morgan William vs. Tyra Buss vs. Katelynn Flaherty vs. Brooke McCarty?

Same question even if you think one or more is more of a SG.

Buss has best chance, but most likely answer to "stick around" is "none".

I don't see a great pg in this draft.

UK1996

PostPosted: 04/02/18 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Canada can become a very good player., especially if she goes somewhere like Seattle with someone to mentor her. I could see McCarty getting a chance even if it’s down the road. She reminds me a lot of Leilani Mitchell.

PostPosted: 04/02/18 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched Flaherty and was impressed with her toughness, shooting and willingness to penetrate on the college level. But she really lacks explosiveness, speed and quickness for such a small player. I think her line against Baylor in the NCAA tournament says a lot. The 0-6 from 2 point range along with the 5 TOs. In college, she had more TOs than assists. That's ok if you're a SF with the explosiveness and creativity of Angel McCoughtry. It's not if you're 5'7" and not fast or quick by pro standards to begin with. If she was 3 or 4 inches taller, she'd have a chance at the 2 spot. But I just don't see it. I know she has incredible determination, etc. But at the WNBA level that's just not enough.

PostPosted: 04/02/18 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kristy Wallace Laughing

PostPosted: 04/03/18 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Kristy Wallace Laughing

But she's like 5 inches taller than everyone else listed here

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/03/18 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Kristy Wallace Laughing

Buuuut , she will have a shorter window to impress. I do believe she will be drafted maybe by Agler or Miller in the 3rd round. I would take her over all guards listed here not named Oh Canada Cool P.S eye to eye shes really more on the 5'9 to 5'10 size. Waco tends to exaggerate there Guards size.

PostPosted: 04/03/18 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Kristy Wallace Laughing

Buuuut , she will have a shorter window to impress. I do believe she will be drafted maybe by Agler or Miller in the 3rd round. I would take her over all guards listed here not named Oh Canada Cool P.S eye to eye shes really more on the 5'9 to 5'10 size. Waco tends to exaggerate there Guards size.

Aussie Brondello has 3 picks in the 20-26 range I could see her taking Wallace with one of them for the future (neither January or K. Mitchell are getting any younger).

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/03/18 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Kristy Wallace Laughing

Aussie Brondello has 3 picks in the 20-26 range I could see her taking Wallace with one of them for the future (neither January or K. Mitchell are getting any younger).

Whos K. mitchell Exclamation Shocked Exclamation Question I did not think about Sydney Sandy! She could possibly pick her up as well. Good one Spoon. Either way i get a feeling people will look back in this draft and say "Why didnt we think to take Wallace" Embarassed

PostPosted: 04/03/18 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Kristy Wallace Laughing

Whos K. mitchell Exclamation Shocked Exclamation Question I did not think about Sydney Sandy! She could possibly pick her up as well. Good one Spoon. Either way i get a feeling people will look back in this draft and say "Why didnt we think to take Wallace" Embarassed

Kelani Mitchell (speaking of successful small PGs) my bad, we need more letters for some abbreviated names now

I have the same problem with C. Parker in Chicago, it has to be Ch. Parker for Cheyenne.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/03/18 2:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Kelani Mitchell (speaking of successful small PGs) my bad, we need more letters for some abbreviated names now

Unless they've somehow been spliced together, it's Leilani Mitchell in Phoenix and Kelsey Mitchell waiting to be drafted (and Tiffany Mitchell in Indiana already). Kelani could be their ship name, I guess Wink.

PostPosted: 04/03/18 2:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Unless they've somehow been spliced together, it's Leilani Mitchell in Phoenix and Kelsey Mitchell waiting to be drafted (and Tiffany Mitchell in Indiana already). Kelani could be their ship name, I guess Wink.

Wow, I definitely posted too much today. Leilani is one of my favs and I totally spliced her name with Kelsey. Opps. I'm going to have to go back to FLB to avoid that mistake again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: