RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 Naismith HOF Candidates (Katie & Tina Are In!!!!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 12/21/17 7:38 pm    ::: 2018 Naismith HOF Candidates (Katie & Tina Are In!!!!) Reply Reply with quote

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/12/21/jason-kidd-steve-nash-highlight-eligible-members-class-2018-naismith-basketball#/

Last edited by Genero36 on 03/31/18 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/21/17 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You left off Becky Hammon Twisted Evil Twisted Evil #Hammonite

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21837998/jason-kidd-steve-nash-first-candidates-naismith-memorial-basketball-hall-fame

Quote:
San Antonio Spurs assistant coach Becky Hammon, who starred for the WNBA's San Antonio Stars and New York Liberty, is among the top women's candidates along with fellow WNBA legends Katie Smith, Tina Thompson and Teresa Weatherspoon. Baylor women's coach Kim Mulkey, a former Louisiana Tech star, is on the ballot as both a coach and player.

PostPosted: 12/21/17 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
You left off Becky Hammon Twisted Evil Twisted Evil #Hammonite

Huh?

PostPosted: 12/22/17 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure Mulkey will get in. Tina and Katie deserve to, but I don't think they will make it this go around.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/22/17 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Out of the four, Tina should be first.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 12/23/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember this is Naismith...not Knoxville...this to me is a bigger honor and therefore a higher standard. It's normally only 2 maybe 3 women a year.

Honestly I didnt like lobo for NAISMITH...tho she more than belongs in KNOXVILLE as her W career was stalled by Injuries and therefore it was the 95 Uconn year and the 96 NT...thats a bit of a thin profile.

Hammon...you know the story with me and Hammon...but she has no business being on the Women's Basketball Player's ballot for the NAISMITH hall of fame...to me she's borderline YES for the WBHOF in Knoxville. The spurs thing IS important. but is it Hall of fame worthy...No in my book. She had an excellent WNBA career...but a couple of Olympic appearances for Russia to me doesnt build a stellar international resume...Her college resume is more impressive than people realize...but going to a mid major hurts that...that leaves a great...borderline WBHOF WNBA career...4 finals...2 as a starter...had the 03 all star bid wiped out by injury...a good HOFer you dont need more than 2 sentences. Again no business being on the Naismith ballot.

The rest

Leta Andrews (COA) I'm not as big on HS coaches than others...but she's worthy...i say Knoxville not Naismith

Jennifer Azzi (PLA) Knoxville (barely) not naismith

Susie McConnell Serio (PLA) No Great player but falls in the chasm and was only decent in W...if I say spoon only belongs in Knoxville cant really endorse Susie for either.

Pearl Moore (PLA) Pioneer...had a great career...would like to see in but dunno if enough will remember. Eventually.

Kim Mulkey (COA and Player) Combined, Yes...Should be...last year I think if she didnt have the controversy she would have gotten in...IN

Harley Redin (COA) I'm voting for Wayland Baptist to get in as a Team so the coach should get in too...Dunno if it works that way and the team belongs in first so...Eventually

Theresa Shank (Grentz) (PLA) If they combined her time as a player and a coach she'd have more of a chance IMHO...As a player alone...No

Katie Smith (PLA)* I say yes...Has the College and Pro resume...I combine her ABL and W stats...may have stayed a bit too long in the W but I dont hold that against her...IN

Marianne Stanley (COA) USC lawsut complicates this...because it was an important case that went to SCOTUS but pure numbers...No...but worth lengthy debate.

Barbara Stevens (COA) Eventually, did enough great resume but I think they'll need time to warm up to lower division coaches in WBB.

Valerie Still (PLA)* One of those legendary players lost in the chasm between WBL and WNBA...college stats are a big indicator...but international stats lie...Knoxville Not Naismith.

Tina Thompson (PLA)* IN last of the building blocks of the WNBA (player wise) not in...If lobo is the lowest common demonator...I'd say in by a mile this year no question

Wayland Baptist (TEA) IN (See the entry on the coach)

Teresa Weatherspoon (PLA) Love her to death...but Knoxville Not Naismith...Borderline deserves discussion but always was more an intangibles player even in her prime...only getting bronze on her 92 Olympic team not a big help...close...but Knoxville not Naismith

I have 4 in this year so that's a lot...so Likely Katie waits...tho her stats are way more open and shut to me than some others.

PostPosted: 12/23/17 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Leta Andrews is already in Knoxville. She's the winningest HS coach in the history of girl's basketball.

PostPosted: 12/24/17 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Honestly I didnt like lobo for NAISMITH...tho she more than belongs in KNOXVILLE as her W career was stalled by Injuries and therefore it was the 95 Uconn year and the 96 NT...thats a bit of a thin profile.

I agree. She got in not as a player but via the ambiguous "contributor" category. She really didn't contribute much, however, to the 1996 National Team, the WNBA or any foreign team. Never as a coach. She's mainly contributed as a good TV commentator, but even that's been for less than 20 years.

Happycappie25 wrote:
Hammon...you know the story with me and Hammon...but she has no business being on the Women's Basketball Player's ballot for the NAISMITH hall of fame...to me she's borderline YES for the WBHOF in Knoxville. The spurs thing IS important. but is it Hall of fame worthy...No in my book. She had an excellent WNBA career...but a couple of Olympic appearances for Russia to me doesnt build a stellar international resume...Her college resume is more impressive than people realize...but going to a mid major hurts that...that leaves a great...borderline WBHOF WNBA career...4 finals...2 as a starter...had the 03 all star bid wiped out by injury...a good HOFer you dont need more than 2 sentences. Again no business being on the Naismith ballot.

The rest

Leta Andrews (COA) I'm not as big on HS coaches than others...but she's worthy...i say Knoxville not Naismith

Jennifer Azzi (PLA) Knoxville (barely) not naismith

Susie McConnell Serio (PLA) No Great player but falls in the chasm and was only decent in W...if I say spoon only belongs in Knoxville cant really endorse Susie for either.

Pearl Moore (PLA) Pioneer...had a great career...would like to see in but dunno if enough will remember. Eventually.

Kim Mulkey (COA and Player) Combined, Yes...Should be...last year I think if she didnt have the controversy she would have gotten in...IN

Harley Redin (COA) I'm voting for Wayland Baptist to get in as a Team so the coach should get in too...Dunno if it works that way and the team belongs in first so...Eventually

Theresa Shank (Grentz) (PLA) If they combined her time as a player and a coach she'd have more of a chance IMHO...As a player alone...No

Katie Smith (PLA)* I say yes...Has the College and Pro resume...I combine her ABL and W stats...may have stayed a bit too long in the W but I dont hold that against her...IN

Marianne Stanley (COA) USC lawsut complicates this...because it was an important case that went to SCOTUS but pure numbers...No...but worth lengthy debate.

Barbara Stevens (COA) Eventually, did enough great resume but I think they'll need time to warm up to lower division coaches in WBB.

Valerie Still (PLA)* One of those legendary players lost in the chasm between WBL and WNBA...college stats are a big indicator...but international stats lie...Knoxville Not Naismith.

Tina Thompson (PLA)* IN last of the building blocks of the WNBA (player wise) not in...If lobo is the lowest common demonator...I'd say in by a mile this year no question

Wayland Baptist (TEA) IN (See the entry on the coach)

Teresa Weatherspoon (PLA) Love her to death...but Knoxville Not Naismith...Borderline deserves discussion but always was more an intangibles player even in her prime...only getting bronze on her 92 Olympic team not a big help...close...but Knoxville not Naismith

I have 4 in this year so that's a lot...so Likely Katie waits...tho her stats are way more open and shut to me than some others.

I'd vote in only Wayland Baptist.

Katie and Tina should be a lock in a few more years, although it wouldn't surprise me if they got in this year.

I don't see Kim worthy as a player. She was an AA at LaTech, but was never much of a scorer in college or USAB. Nor do I see her worthy yet as a coach because she's been a head coach for only 17 years. She'll be worthy if she keeps up her current success for another 10 years. Maybe she gets in earlier than 10 years as a combined player-coach contributor, but she's not nominated in that category this year.
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 12/24/17 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Leta Andrews is already in Knoxville. She's the winningest HS coach in the history of girl's basketball.

Yep I should of clarified that ranking of being irregardless of their already being in there...the idea is that they don't make that next step...and yes I'm more down on HS than I should be so I am not a fair judge...she has credentials and its a great class. I'm sure there are others in Knoxville that I used the one but not the other designation...and some I hard noed who are in knoxvile and should be (Grentz for starters)

My scale should have been defined

IN: Lock

Eventually: Class too strong for this year but has Naismith Credentials IMHO

Knoxville Not Naismith: Has HOF Credentials when judged for WBB alone for a WBB Exclusive HOF but not for the higher standard of the Naismith HOF (If there should be 2 halls is a debate for another thread) I seperate the two because there ARE two halls and therefore I hold the Naismith hall to a higher standard...in fact one test is if they ARE in the Knoxville hall.

NO: Not worthy for the Naismith shouldnt be on the ballot for this hall.

(I will discuss knoxville credentials when the knoxville ballot is released later next year)

PostPosted: 12/24/17 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All I can say is that Katie Smith should be a shoo-in.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/24/17 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:

Would it be reasonable to suggest that you're not necessarily unbiased in the matter?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Genero36

PostPosted: 02/17/18 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Steve Nash, Jason Kidd among 13 finalists for Basketball Hall of Fame

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- Point guards could run the show in the next Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame class, with Jason Kidd and two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash among the 13 finalists announced Saturday.

Ray Allen, Grant Hill, Maurice Cheeks and Chris Webber also made the cut, but the two standout point guards are all but locks to headline the class, which will be unveiled during the NCAA Final Four in San Antonio.

Quote:
Charles "Lefty" Driesell, Rudy Tomjanovich and Baylor's Kim Mulkey made the final ballot as coaches. Katie Smith, Tina Thompson and longtime NBA official Hugh Evans are also finalists.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22479638/steve-nash-jason-kidd-13-finalists-basketball-hall-fame-induction

PostPosted: 03/29/18 9:03 pm    ::: Re: 2018 Naismith Hall of Fame Candidates (Tina's In!!!!) Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
As for Tina Thompson, she is one of the best women to ever pick up a basketball. During her career in the WNBA, she won four straight titles with the Houston Comets and went to nine All-Star Games. She also won two Olympic gold medals with the U.S. Women's National Team.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/jason-kidd-steve-nash-grant-hill-maurice-cheeks-and-tina-thompson-to-enter-basketball-hall-of-fame-reports-say/

PostPosted: 03/30/18 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

Would it be reasonable to suggest that you're not necessarily unbiased in the matter?

Very Happy

Katie Smith will get in next year. I am not sure when Lauren Jackson is considered officially retired but she and Tamika Catchings would certainly be upcoming.

Genero36

PostPosted: 03/30/18 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Katie Smith will get in next year. I am not sure when Lauren Jackson is considered officially retired but she and Tamika Catchings would certainly be upcoming.

Those two will get in the same year as Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett.

PostPosted: 03/30/18 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

Those two will get in the same year as Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett.

You're assuming they'll let more than one woman in at a time.

(now with spelling variations)
Genero36

PostPosted: 03/30/18 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

When it comes to those two they will.

PostPosted: 03/30/18 9:44 pm    ::: Re: 2018 Naismith Hall of Fame Candidates (Tina's In!!!!) Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 03/30/18 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

When it comes to those two they will.

You have a lot more faith in their ability to not go "ewwwww, girl cooties" than I do.

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 03/31/18 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

Yeah, they'll never do that

PostPosted: 03/31/18 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Smith, Tina Thompson Announced as Members of Basketball Hall of Fame Class of 2018

http://www.wnba.com/news/katie-smith-tina-thompson-announced-members-basketball-hall-fame-class-2018/

Quote:
This year’s class includes two-time NBA Champion Ray Allen, four-time NBA All-Star Maurice Cheeks, the only coach in NCAA history to be named Conference Coach of the Year in four different conferences Charles “Lefty” Driesell, seven-time NBA All-Star Grant Hill, 10-time NBA All-Star Jason Kidd, two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash, three-time Olympic gold medalist Katie Smith and four-time WNBA Champion Tina Thompson.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 03/31/18 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Katie Smith, Tina Thompson Announced as Members of Basketball Hall of Fame Class of 2018

http://www.wnba.com/news/katie-smith-tina-thompson-announced-members-basketball-hall-fame-class-2018/

Quote:
This year’s class includes two-time NBA Champion Ray Allen, four-time NBA All-Star Maurice Cheeks, the only coach in NCAA history to be named Conference Coach of the Year in four different conferences Charles “Lefty” Driesell, seven-time NBA All-Star Grant Hill, 10-time NBA All-Star Jason Kidd, two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash, three-time Olympic gold medalist Katie Smith and four-time WNBA Champion Tina Thompson.

Wait, what? Did we miss the announcement for Katie Shocked

Genero36

PostPosted: 03/31/18 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Welp. They just did. Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/31/18 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HELL YEAH!

I'm happy for everyone that got elected, but as anyone who knows me from here, I'm overjoyed that Katie Smith will be getting inducted!

This is fantastic.

If I could afford tickets to the induction ceremony, I'd spend the weekend of Sept 6-8 in Springfield just so I could see her speech in person and hopefully get to meet her at long last.

I've followed her career from her freshman year at OSU, through the ABL, the Olympics and WNBA and I'm so happy she's receiving the highest honor the game can bestow!
Genero36

PostPosted: 04/04/18 7:52 am    ::: Re: 2018 Naismith HOF Candidates (Katie & Tina Are In!!! Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fSIOxXWWBMA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSIOxXWWBMA

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: