RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Florida St @ Texas - 12/17/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/17/17 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
what is the rule re charges/blocks? the defender can move sideways after the shooter begins her 2 steps?

I believe she has to be set before the player leaves the ground.

If the defender can move laterally before the shooter is in the liftoff, then charges should be easily produced 99% of the time (if outside the arc). It's a clear disadvantage to the shooter, imo.

I disagree. The situation is one where both players are moving. The defender is in the process of sliding as the offensive player is in the process of driving. The offensive player is given the "advantage" of movement from the point she leaves the ground until the point of contact. The offensive player has to be able to gauge where the defender can set herself before she leaves the ground to determine whether she can make a successful drive. Otherwise, take a jump shot or pass.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/17/17 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
what is the rule re charges/blocks? the defender can move sideways after the shooter begins her 2 steps?

I believe she has to be set before the player leaves the ground.

If the defender can move laterally before the shooter is in the liftoff, then charges should be easily produced 99% of the time (if outside the arc). It's a clear disadvantage to the shooter, imo.

To bring up ancient history Brianna Banks tore her ACL on a play she was called for charging. The defender jumped in front of her while Banks was lifting off the only foot she had on the floor. There was no way she could stop.

I've known a few refs over the years and they each had their own way of making charge/block calls and none followed the rule. I think there are too many charges called. And far too few moving screens.

As I recall, there were two defensive players in position on that play, but we'll have to agree to disagree on that point of history.

I do agree there are too many charges called- last week we dealt with a crew that apparently refused to acknowledge the existence of the arc.

PostPosted: 12/17/17 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right now I think the defender has to establish position (whatever that means) before the offensive player has both feet in the air. I feel that once the offensive player takes their last stride and has one leg in the air and is in the process of pushing off the other foot they are incapable of stopping and are in a very vulnerable position.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: