RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Freshmen: FOY and All-Frosh contenders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/11/17 12:11 pm    ::: Freshmen: FOY and All-Frosh contenders Reply Reply with quote

I'm not going to do a poll on this because people will change their minds throughout the season and I don't want to do weekly polls.

Right now, I'd say TAMU's Chennedy Carter is the clear front runner, as she's #1 in both PPG (18.5) and efficiency (13.2) among 1265 D1 freshmen, according to my free page view on National Statistical. This is actually consistent with my personal eyeball evaluation of the now freshman when they were in high school all-star games and USAB games.

As to other frosh that I've personally seen so far this season, which isn't all that many, the ones who have made the most positive impressions on me are perhaps Rennia Davis, Evina Westbrook and Anastasia Hayes at Tennessee, and Satou Sabally at Oregon.
Shades

PostPosted: 12/11/17 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Oregon gets Satou Sabally's sister next year. Oregon taking the dynasty status away from Stanford?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/16/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chennedy Carter scored 46 points yesterday against USC, and is now leading all frosh in scoring at 21.0 PPG, which is also 18th in all of D1 among 3,494 players. Among frosh, she's also 2nd in FTM and 3rd in total assists.
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/16/17 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was my early choice and still sticking to it. It is unfortunate that A&M will be a losing team and not sure they have/or are adding pieces to get back.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/16/17 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Tenn's Davis and Westbrook are the real deal, but the team's play is pretty balanced this year which is going to make it difficult for anyone to appear as a stand-out. Nared is likely deserving of AA honors but I doubt she's going to be recognized for this same reason.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/16/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I think Tenn's Davis and Westbrook are the real deal, but the team's play is pretty balanced this year which is going to make it difficult for anyone to appear as a stand-out. Nared is likely deserving of AA honors but I doubt she's going to be recognized for this same reason.

I wouldn't leave out Hayes for accolades. She's ahead of Westbrook in PPG and efficiency. Until someone points out an alternative, it seems to me that UTK has the best freshman class so far.

As an aside and just out of curiosity, you'd select Nared over Russell for AA?
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/16/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

duplicate
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/16/18 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Freshman AA team as of January 16:

Chennedy "Assassination" Carter, TAMU = NFOY
Janelle Bailey, UNC
Rennia Davis, UTenn
Evina Westbrook, UTenn
Bre Cavanaugh, Fordham
Queenie

PostPosted: 01/16/18 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bre's been amazing. Cold-blooded as all get-out and bringing a new gear to Fordham's offense. If y'all can get to a Fordham game, get to a Fordham game.

(now with spelling variations)
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/16/18 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Bre's been amazing. Cold-blooded as all get-out and bringing a new gear to Fordham's offense. If y'all can get to a Fordham game, get to a Fordham game.

Among 915 qualified freshmen according to NatStat, Bre Cavanaugh is:

-- 4th in scoring at 15.9PPG
-- 6th in FTM (which means she draws a lot of fouls)
-- 7th in FGM
-- 10th in efficiency at 10.2 (Carter is 1st at 14.0)
-- 32nd in 3FGM at 31
ClayK

PostPosted: 01/17/18 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Among 915 qualified freshmen according to NatStat, Bre Cavanaugh is:

-- 4th in scoring at 15.9PPG
-- 6th in FTM (which means she draws a lot of fouls)
-- 7th in FGM
-- 10th in efficiency at 10.2 (Carter is 1st at 14.0)
-- 32nd in 3FGM at 31

She originally was at Cal but supposedly left because she got a concussion from walking into a pole while texting ...

PostPosted: 01/17/18 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is NOT how I heard how Bre got the concussion that brought her back East, but let's leave it at that, as we're getting a little too much into her personal affairs.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/17/18 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just realized Bre Cavanaugh played at Blair Academy in New Jersey with Andra Espinoza-Hunter, Sadie Edwards and Batouly Camara, all four of whom have now transferred from their original schools. Here is AEH shooting a corner jumper with Cavanaugh (#30) under the basket and Edwards (#14) on the far side of the paint.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/17/18 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I just realized Bre Cavanaugh played at Blair Academy in New Jersey with Andra Espinoza-Hunter, Sadie Edwards and Batouly Camara, all four of whom have now transferred from their original schools. Here is AEH shooting a corner jumper with Cavanaugh (#30) under the basket and Edwards (#14) on the far side of the paint.

Andi also transferred from Ossining to Blair and then back to Ossining. Does she have commitment issues? Honesty Scott-Grayson switched high schools a lot more. What are the odds she stays at Baylor?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/18/18 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Andi also transferred from Ossining to Blair and then back to Ossining. Does she have commitment issues? Honesty Scott-Grayson switched high schools a lot more. What are the odds she stays at Baylor?

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/20170460/point-guard-honesty-scott-grayson-ready-start-special-senior-year-riverdale-baptist

Quote:
Scott-Grayson, in fact, hasn't gone to the same school for back-to-back years since she was in sixth grade.

Since then, she has changed schools seven times, adjusting on the fly and managing to prosper academically and athletically.
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/18/18 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/20170460/point-guard-honesty-scott-grayson-ready-start-special-senior-year-riverdale-baptist

Quote:
Scott-Grayson, in fact, hasn't gone to the same school for back-to-back years since she was in sixth grade.

Since then, she has changed schools seven times, adjusting on the fly and managing to prosper academically and athletically.

It makes you wonder, doesn't it? What are the odds that she transfers out of Baylor?

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/18/18 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
That is NOT how I heard how Bre got the concussion that brought her back East, but let's leave it at that, as we're getting a little too much into her personal affairs.

That's why I said "supposedly" -- that was Cal's story, and I never believed it.

PostPosted: 01/18/18 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:

It makes you wonder, doesn't it? What are the odds that she transfers out of Baylor?

I heard via the grapevine that Scott-Grayson has a "stage mother". Andi, OTOH, may just not have liked the atmosphere at Blair and just decided to go back home. That happens.

PostPosted: 01/18/18 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Stage mother" is understating things by quite a bit.

PostPosted: 01/31/18 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thought I would give this one a bump, my contributions just from the eye test and games I have watched - Japreece Dean, UCLA, PG back up to Canada and also gets some minutes alongside. Looks to be a good replacement and has a plus that she can shoot 3s. Kianna Williams, Stanford, some starter minutes and looks to be more skilled than our upperclassmen as a freshman, can run the point and hit the 3. Both of these players have a positive A/TO.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/31/18 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dean's a transfer and is classed as a junior.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/31/18 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No the wonder she looked good Laughing Laughing My old eyes playing tricks on me.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 01/31/18 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bre Cavanaugh scored 37 today in a double OT loss to St Louis. Cavanaugh was tremendous throughout as Fordham was without their best inside player, G'mrice Davis.

She has the kind of game that Cal could use, although I'm not sure she would have been given the opportunity for that style of play.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: