RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 04/11/18 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look at what I was responding to. The names are from an article. I’m just ranking them. Whalen and Dawkins are definitely not on my wishlist.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme

PostPosted: 04/11/18 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
justintyme wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Shades wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Shades wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
http://www.startribune.com/marlene-stollings-leaving-gophers-basketball-for-texas-tech-job/479181053/

Names to watch: Lindsay Whalen, Aaron Johnston, Niele Ivey, and Nikki Lowry-Dawkins.

1. Ivey (Might help Gophers score important in-state recruit Bueckers)
2. Johnston (Recruits Minnesota better than Minnesota does)
3. Whalen (No coaching experience. Start as an assistant somewhere first. No indication that she even wants to coach)
4. Dawkins (Would be settling for the assistant. Wouldn’t reflect well on AD)

Is this for real, or is this just a wish list? I'm thinking the latter.

Is what for real, my opinion on these coaching prospects? Yes, it’s for real.

Then it's YOUR wish list and not the university's list. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm not understanding your point here. These are some of the potential coaches the Gophers are considering and have been linked to. Shades just put out his opinion on each of them, ranking them in his preferred order. In other words it is both the University's list, AND his ranking of them. Not sure why it was confusing.

My question was whether it was the UNIVERSITY had actually put forth the names, whether they'd been gleaned from a message board similar to the Boneyard or The Summitt, or whether he had some actual inside info.

The original article reported those names in association with the University. It was right there, which is why your question was confusing.

PostPosted: 04/11/18 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
justintyme wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Shades wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Shades wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
http://www.startribune.com/marlene-stollings-leaving-gophers-basketball-for-texas-tech-job/479181053/

Names to watch: Lindsay Whalen, Aaron Johnston, Niele Ivey, and Nikki Lowry-Dawkins.

1. Ivey (Might help Gophers score important in-state recruit Bueckers)
2. Johnston (Recruits Minnesota better than Minnesota does)
3. Whalen (No coaching experience. Start as an assistant somewhere first. No indication that she even wants to coach)
4. Dawkins (Would be settling for the assistant. Wouldn’t reflect well on AD)

Is this for real, or is this just a wish list? I'm thinking the latter.

Is what for real, my opinion on these coaching prospects? Yes, it’s for real.

Then it's YOUR wish list and not the university's list. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm not understanding your point here. These are some of the potential coaches the Gophers are considering and have been linked to. Shades just put out his opinion on each of them, ranking them in his preferred order. In other words it is both the University's list, AND his ranking of them. Not sure why it was confusing.

My question was whether it was the UNIVERSITY had actually put forth the names, whether they'd been gleaned from a message board similar to the Boneyard or The Summitt, or whether he had some actual inside info.

The original article reported those names in association with the University. It was right there, which is why your question was confusing.

Begging your pardon, but I didn't get that out of the article, even when I went back and re-read it. I give up. Not my school and I got no dog in this fight anyway.

PostPosted: 04/11/18 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jodi Kest retires at Akron

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/university-of-akron-womens-basketball-zips-coach-jodi-kest-announces-retirement

PostPosted: 04/11/18 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megan Leuzinger, former Valpo AC, hired as HC at Evangel University

http://www.evangelathletics.com/sports/wbkb/2017-18/releases/20180411f1wy5b

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/11/18 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lamar promotes Cameron Miles, DOBO to AC

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/news/2018/4/11/womens-basketball-miles-promoted-to-assistant-womens-hoops-coach.aspx

pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/18 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alecia Wilson to Pacific

http://www.goboxers.com/news/2018/4/11/general-alecia-wilson-named-head-womens-basketball-coach-at-pacific-university.aspx

PostPosted: 04/12/18 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't see this here...Stollings to Texas Tech. I know it's a better conference, but is this an upgrade for her?

bucks4now

PostPosted: 04/12/18 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
I didn't see this here...Stollings to Texas Tech. I know it's a better conference, but is this an upgrade for her?

Sorry, I didn't have the 5ht page of the thread and it was unmarked as watch.

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/12/18 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:

No. Significant downgrade. The rumors I'm hearing are that the Gophers were ready to move on and encouraged her to consider other options that arose.

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Supposedly Amanda Butler will be named at Clemson

pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

joetro wrote:

Anything that keeps her from doing color commentary is a good thing

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

joetro wrote:

I still think she's a good coach. Glad she's getting another opportunity so quickly after Florida.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/12/18 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
joetro wrote:

I still think she's a good coach. Glad she's getting another opportunity so quickly after Florida.

She's a decent coach, but right now Clemson is a real sink. There was a time when they were fairly decent (in the 90s) and even made the NCAA, but the ACC is godawfully competitive these days, much worse than the SEC.

PostPosted: 04/12/18 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sam Houston State hires Ravon Justice from Prairie View A&M

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=93027&SPID=11359&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211710608&DB_OEM_ID=19900

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/12/18 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Longwood hired Navy AC Rebecca Tillett as HC

http://www.longwoodlancers.com/news/2018/4/12/navy-associate-rebecca-tillett-named-new-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/12/18 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PRballer wrote:
joetro wrote:

She's a decent coach, but right now Clemson is a real sink. There was a time when they were fairly decent (in the 90s) and even made the NCAA, but the ACC is godawfully competitive these days, much worse than the SEC.

Yep, Jim Davis had talented, athletic and DEEP teams when they were winning the ACC and made the Sweet 16 in the 90s. They were actually fun to watch and would average 3,000 fans per game in Littlejohn, with numbers rising with Virginia, UNC and Duke home games. He recruited the Carolinas and George very well. Itoro Umoh and Erin Batth stood out in that era.

Then Davis "retired" (sorta) and along with the rise of Georgia Tech's recruiting under Berenato and then moreso Joseph and then FSU rising under Semrau, they started losing out to other ACC programs on the recruiting trail.

And then we all know what happened down the road when the feisty lady from Philadelphia showed up at Columbia in 2008.

Tough sink for Clemson for sure, but Butler is an improvement I think.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/18 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lindsay Whalen to Minnesota

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/041218aaa.html

PostPosted: 04/12/18 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Lindsay Whalen to Minnesota

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/041218aaa.html

LMAO!

mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/12/18 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Look at what I was responding to. The names are from an article. I’m just ranking them. Whalen and Dawkins are definitely not on my wishlist.

Shocked

Whalen will probably be fine eventually, right? She has a lot to learn about the recruiting and administrative side...and then she's still going to play in the WNBA, so forget about the summer evaluation period...

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/12/18 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Shades wrote:

Shocked

Whalen will probably be fine eventually, right? She has a lot to learn about the recruiting and administrative side...and then she's still going to play in the WNBA, so forget about the summer evaluation period...

Well, she brings instant credibility and prestige to the program, but she will have a learning curve. She has had one of the best coaches of all time mentoring her for the past few years, so that will help on the coaching side. The question will be on the recruiting side.

PostPosted: 04/12/18 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she will be fine recruiting wise if she can get some good assistant coaches to help her in the transition. Her name will instantly get players who want to be coached by her.

PostPosted: 04/12/18 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a Gopher / Lynx fan, I'm excited about the Whalen hire! Yeah, she'll have a lot to learn, but I can't picture anyone getting the fan base more excited than Whalen. Maybe minor... But I believe she was Borton's DOBO for a season or so, and has a little experience on the admin side. And she become co-owner (or something similar) in her former AAU club recently, which looks like she's somewhat connected with local talent. She'll probably need to divest from that now... Exciting stuff! I hope young talent like Pitts, Hubbard, and the others stay around to work with her.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/12/18 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Shades wrote:

Shocked

I was hoping for someone that wouldn’t be an on the job trainee. This could be alright or it could be a disaster that would be hard to clean up. How do you fire a Gopher legend or how many years of rope do you give her? She’s probably a lot cheaper than Ivey, which I personally don’t care about.

If she can score Bueckers as a recruit (and I don’t think she will), it’d would make the hire a whole lot palatable for me.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/12/18 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/12/18 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cincinnati hires Semeka Randall as AC (was at Wright State)

https://gobearcats.com/news/2018/4/12/randall-added-to-womens-basketball-coaching-staff.aspx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 9 of 34

Jump to: