RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UCLA @ Oklahoma St - 12/08/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willtalk

PostPosted: 12/09/17 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Cori Close seems to be a very nice person...and a TERRIBLE coach.

The only thing I can figure is that Close must have spent the off season being tutored by Sylvia Hatchell. You could put the entire UCLA offensive playbook on a single 3x5 file card, with room to spare.

And evidently they're coached to always shoot within the first eight seconds of the clock.

[b]

Actually her offensive philosophy comes from a book by the ex interm coach of Hickery high school-- George Walker ( from the movie Hoosiers) . The book " Shoot the Ball" was written after Norman Dale kicked George out of practice and told him his coaching days were over.

I wondered how long it would take before UCLA would begin to underachieve. I suppose it was inevitable.

Last edited by willtalk on 12/09/17 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/09/17 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game had that feeling from the start that UCLA wasn't going to get over the hump.

I don't know what "for real" means- OK ST is a decent team. Is S16 for real?

The Cowpokes had only played Tenn and MS ST prior to UCLA and lost by 10 and 3 respectively. So, not too bad.

PostPosted: 12/09/17 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They just don't have shooters. Last year they had a couple but have none to replace them. Doesn't seem that they will live up to that recruiting class hype, but there are still some games left.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/09/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
joetro wrote:
Kind of a problem to have the first road game be a month into the season ...

UNC is having their first road game on New Year's Eve at against Florida St. At least UCLA didn't have cupcakes to go along with the home cooked schedule like UNC.

Sure, but UCLA began the season with final four pretensions. Everyone knew UNC was going to struggle all year. They're really not equivalent.

LitePal

PostPosted: 12/09/17 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think some who follow UCLA were aware of their deficiencies because of the coaching inadequacies and, talent aside, didn't take the concept of a Final Four seriously. UCLA has also always struggled on the road under this staff.

Coach Close might do better at her alma mater UCSB where the expectations are different. She seems very much in over her head. Watching the men's game, maybe something is just broken in the UCLA basketball culture.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 12/09/17 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agree with most of the comments. And,, Billings definitely looked overrated. Is she really 6'4"? I've never seen her in person.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/09/17 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AkE7twjwoZI" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/09/17 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Agree with most of the comments. And,, Billings definitely looked overrated. Is she really 6'4"? I've never seen her in person.

I've always doubted that 6'4" number but then most players have inflated heights.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/09/17 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't understood why some people have grouped her and Mercedes Russell when discussing the draft as if they're even or interchangeable. I don't think Billings is even close to Russell. That's an easy choice to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: