RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dawn Staley Wins !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/24/18 5:17 pm    ::: Dawn Staley Wins ! Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23596812/missouri-tigers-athletic-director-jim-sterk-apologizes-dawn-staley-settlement

Quote:
I made comments in a local radio interview that were construed to suggest that coach Staley promoted the negative experiences of racial epithets and spitting," said Sterk, who ultimately was fined $25,000 by the SEC. "I do not believe coach Staley would promote such conduct, and I sincerely apologize to her for those comments."

PostPosted: 05/24/18 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jim Jerk should have done this months ago. I cannot believe what my parents' (and a lot of other family members too!) alma mater has turned into. Sad

PostPosted: 06/05/18 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Jim Jerk should have done this months ago. I cannot believe what my parents' (and a lot of other family members too!) alma mater has turned into. Sad

I don't know what Dawn did on that day, but I have personally heard her foul mouth during a game. I like Dawn, but any thought that this is above her is simply misplaced. She can get nasty.

YlwJckt999

PostPosted: 06/16/18 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I don't know what Dawn did on that day, but I have personally heard her foul mouth during a game. I like Dawn, but any thought that this is above her is simply misplaced. She can get nasty.

No. Just simple and plain no. False equivalence.

A minority coach who has been the recipient of bias, hate and discrimination (racial/gender/sex-ori -pick one); an outspoken advocate for the sport and young women; a coach of an 100% minority/diverse team encouraged and promoted racial slurs and spitting on players? encouraged an environment/practices that would be significantly more hostile towards her own team? -No. Plain and simple no.

To your second point- a foul mouthed Philadelphia sports fan. You will be hard pressed not to find one of those.

Cursing and expressing frustrations with officiating is in no way the equivalent.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/17/18 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YlwJckt999 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

A minority coach who has been the recipient of bias, hate and discrimination (racial/gender/sex-ori -pick one); an outspoken advocate for the sport and young women; a coach of an 100% minority/diverse team encouraged and promoted racial slurs and spitting on players? encouraged an environment/practices that would be significantly more hostile towards her own team? -No. Plain and simple no.

To your second point- a foul mouthed Philadelphia sports fan. You will be hard pressed not to find one of those.

Cursing and expressing frustrations with officiating is in no way the equivalent.

Agreed.

PostPosted: 06/19/18 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YlwJckt999 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Like I said, I like Dawn. However, after hearing and observing her conduct on more than a couple of occasions, the fact that someone felt this way is not a monumental shocker. Being from Philly doesn't give you the right, as a head coach, to act any way you want. She has tempered her behavior because she was warned that she would be disciplined if she didn't do so by South Carolina. Again, I like Dawn, but I also like reality and being truthful. I don't believe what the AD said in the radio interview was appropriate and I don't believe she would encourage that specific behavior, but I can understand why someone would question that based on things I have witnessed.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/19/18 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
YlwJckt999 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Like I said, I like Dawn. However, after hearing and observing her conduct on more than a couple of occasions, the fact that someone felt this way is not a monumental shocker. Being from Philly doesn't give you the right, as a head coach, to act any way you want. She has tempered her behavior because she was warned that she would be disciplined if she didn't do so by South Carolina. Again, I like Dawn, but I also like reality and being truthful. I don't believe what the AD said in the radio interview was appropriate and I don't believe she would encourage that specific behavior, but I can understand why someone would question that based on things I have witnessed.

So you dont believe she encourages the behavior , but you understand why someone would insinuate such derogatory statements ? Confused

PostPosted: 06/20/18 2:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
She has tempered her behavior because she was warned that she would be disciplined if she didn't do so by South Carolina.

That is an interesting perspective to have on reality. Too bad there's not one shred of truth to it, but have fun....

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/20/18 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
She has tempered her behavior because she was warned that she would be disciplined if she didn't do so by South Carolina.

That is an interesting perspective to have on reality. Too bad there's not one shred of truth to it, but have fun....

Laughing Laughing Not 1 Arrow Arrow Arrow

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: