RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 12/30/17 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Maybe they should get out of the ACC and join the CAA. Sound like they're fast becoming a mid-major Wink No shame in that!

They never should've gone to the ACC in the first place.
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/30/17 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
You need some Bible study yourself Q. Maybe you could learn something...

Despite the fact that four of the schools I root for are Catholic (well, maybe three, Iona and I have entered the "it's complicated" status), I'm actually a godless heathen and I rather like being that way.

If an employee of a public, state-run institution is mandating Bible study for her subordinates, that's inappropriate. I'd rather not believe that someone like Coale, who I respect as a coach and as a person, would behave in a way that brings religion into a space that is supposed to be secular. Since I haven't heard any corroboration of that rumor, I'm going to keep that salt shaker handy.

(now with spelling variations)
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/30/17 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe they should get out of the ACC and join the CAA. Sound like they're fast becoming a mid-major Wink No shame in that![/quote]

Solely from a hypothetical WBB point of view, the current Big East might be a good fit. Vs a new coach, of course. Or both.[/quote]

Except that BC plays football and the Big East does not. The CAA does, though. And the WBB team would still get skunked in the Big East. So would the men.

PostPosted: 12/30/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I say the same thing to BC that I do to UConn: y'all wanted to be in a football school in a football conference. This is the life y'all chose, so forget you anyway.

(now, if BC drops football, or at least drops it down to the FCS level, I would think we could have a conversation, but apparently BC would be trying to cross a bridge that was burned to a crisp and is nothing but ashes on the wind)

(now with spelling variations)
UK1996

PostPosted: 12/31/17 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
How about Mr. Mitchell down in Lexington ? Alot of transfers and a lack of talent on this year's team not looking like the Kentucky im use too . Although he built those teams too something needs to change .

Fingers are crossed but the AD probably won’t do a darn thing. Rolling Eyes

I’m not on the fire Mitchell train yet, but something needs to change. This is the year the transfers hurt he most. Last year Epps and Akhator carried the team on their backs. This team needs an identity in the worst way. If Jennings had not transferred, this team would be a lot different. Morris is the only consistent scorer. Kentucky needs a consistent post in the worst way, along with a more consistent Murray. Roper has been a pleasant surprise. She seems to have put in the work in the off season.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/31/17 2:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
How about Mr. Mitchell down in Lexington ? Alot of transfers and a lack of talent on this year's team not looking like the Kentucky im use too . Although he built those teams too something needs to change .

Fingers are crossed but the AD probably won’t do a darn thing. :roll:

I’m not on the fire Mitchell train yet, but something needs to change. This is the year the transfers hurt he most. Last year Epps and Akhator carried the team on their backs. This team needs an identity in the worst way. If Jennings had not transferred, this team would be a lot different. Morris is the only consistent scorer. Kentucky needs a consistent post in the worst way, along with a more consistent Murray. Roper has been a pleasant surprise. She seems to have put in the work in the off season.

No question this is a bad year for Mitchell, but with what he has done for the program he deserves a liitle slack See what he can do through the SEC and what he can bring in for next year before you bring out the pitchforks.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/31/17 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Maybe they should get out of the ACC and join the CAA. Sound like they're fast becoming a mid-major Wink No shame in that!

They never should've gone to the ACC in the first place.

I said that from day one. But, here we are.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 01/01/18 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Candi Whittaker at Texas Tech.

Fired today.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 01/01/18 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Fired today.

Melanie Balcomb resigned a couple of days before Whitaker got fired . Did the interim coach not want her to stick around ?

allenleavell

PostPosted: 01/01/18 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If an employee of a public, state-run institution is mandating Bible study for her subordinates, that's inappropriate. I'd rather not believe that someone like Coale, who I respect as a coach and as a person, would behave in a way that brings religion into a space that is supposed to be secular. Since I haven't heard any corroboration of that rumor, I'm going to keep that salt shaker handy.[/quote]
Queenie it is true but nobody going to report this. Everybody know about this ,it common knowledge .Some people are in denial but when you have players lead bible study group, you don't have be reported or questioned. There are two set of OU fans 1.sunshine pumpers (Coale does no wrong) 2. Fans that see the truth.
To be honest player led bible study is very common practice in wbb.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/01/18 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Fired today.

Melanie Balcomb resigned a couple of days before Whitaker got fired . Did the interim coach not want her to stick around ?

Balcomb resigned on the 26th because she "needed to focus on dealing with a family medical issue." Swoopes and someone else are staying on as interim coach Shimmy Gray-Miller's assistants. Somehow I doubt all this turmoil is going to turn the team around.

btharner

PostPosted: 01/01/18 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sad to see programs that have given me great memories (such as Texas Tech and Virginia) now mired in the muck of mediocrity.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 01/01/18 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
UK1996 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Fingers are crossed but the AD probably won’t do a darn thing. Rolling Eyes

No question this is a bad year for Mitchell, but with what he has done for the program he deserves a liitle slack See what he can do through the SEC and what he can bring in for next year before you bring out the pitchforks.

How many will leave at the end of the year will be a bigger much more looming question?

UK1996

PostPosted: 01/02/18 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would be surprised if Morris left. She is a Kentucky kid who has dreamed of playing for UK. The current freshman class consists mostly posts, so they should have opportunity for playing time the next two years. My biggest concern is UK has stopped getting the top instate recruits. We have Blair Green for 2019, and Emma King for 2020, but have lost out on Mykasa Robinson, Seygan Robbins, and Lindsay Duvall.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/02/18 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Fired today.

Balcomb resigned on the 26th because she "needed to focus on dealing with a family medical issue." Swoopes and someone else are staying on as interim coach Shimmy Gray-Miller's assistants. Somehow I doubt all this turmoil is going to turn the team around.

I'm really glad to see Shimmy get a chance at a head coaching job. She deserves it, even at a mess like Texas Tech. Maybe her cool head can help right the ship. But somehow I think there might have been a little more to this mid-season/early season firing than meets the eye. I don't know how Sheryl Swoopes and Melanie Balcomb could coexist on the same bench. Just saying. But then, y'all already know I don't care much for Melanie. Something about her has always rubbed me the wrong way.

PostPosted: 01/02/18 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I'm really glad to see Shimmy get a chance at a head coaching job. She deserves it, even at a mess like Texas Tech. Maybe her cool head can help right the ship.

I'm guessing you mean a "2nd" chance at a head coaching job. She spent 7 years as the head coach at St Louis, finishing her tenure at 71-136 and never having a winning season.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-fires-women-s-basketball-coach/article_19690ffa-65bc-11e1-a960-0019bb30f31a.html

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/02/18 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
I'm really glad to see Shimmy get a chance at a head coaching job. She deserves it, even at a mess like Texas Tech. Maybe her cool head can help right the ship.

I'm guessing you mean a "2nd" chance at a head coaching job. She spent 7 years as the head coach at St Louis, finishing her tenure at 71-136 and never having a winning season.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-fires-women-s-basketball-coach/article_19690ffa-65bc-11e1-a960-0019bb30f31a.html

*shrug* I don't pay much attention to St. Louis, so I wouldn't remember that. I do remember her as an assistant at Florida.

PostPosted: 01/07/18 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK loses again today. By the looks of the boxscore the Kittens are having a tough time scoring. Biggest issues are from everything I can see on the recruiting stuff they do not have any big time studs coming. Walz eating Mitchells butt on the good in state kids there too. I am guessing the time has come for Coach Mitchell to ride on out. Kentucky fans are not fans of losing, even in womens basketball.

~UK~

PostPosted: 01/08/18 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
UK loses again today. By the looks of the boxscore the Kittens are having a tough time scoring. Biggest issues are from everything I can see on the recruiting stuff they do not have any big time studs coming. Walz eating Mitchells butt on the good in state kids there too. I am guessing the time has come for Coach Mitchell to ride on out. Kentucky fans are not fans of losing, even in womens basketball.

MM has run off coaches and players and still doesn’t realize the problem is him.

These were his comments about recruiting after the mass exodus of players:

‘I would tell you, I’m not sure the measure for us needs to be McDonald’s All-Americans,” Mitchell said. “As we go through the evolution of our program, I think we are learning some things. I’m not necessarily looking at maybe what the public is looking at. So if a kid has a (ranking) number by her name and you are saying that is the right player for Kentucky, that’s not our formula.”

Mitchell says that should not be interpreted as a coach lowering expectations after a tough stretch.’

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-women/article106549242.html

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/08/18 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
In Boyle's first six seasons at Virginia (i.e., the six seasons before the current one), her overall record is 110–85 (.564). Her ACC record is 43–55 (.439). The only time her teams finished above .500 in conference play was during her first season, when UVA went 9-7, finished 6th in the ACC, and made the WNIT quarterfinals.

Boyle, as written in her contract, got automatic one-year extensions on April 11, 2012, and April 11, 2013. That puts her under contract with UVa through the 2017-18 season (Link: http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierinsider/boyle-will-return-as-uva-women-s-basketball-coach/article_cca2d24e-e011-11e5-86cd-8b0b684c9aee.html).

Virginia, with a record of 4-6, is currently 83rd in the Sagarin rankings. While the Cavaliers have played the 24th toughest schedule, the team is 0-3 against the Sagarin Top 25 and 0-4 against the Sagarin Top 50. In the RealTime RPI rankings, Virginia is 155th; in the NCAA RPI ratings, Virginia is 152nd.

In other words, if Virginia does not make the NCAA Tournament or finish in the top half of the ACC, the Cavaliers AD will have the ability to go in a different direction for the once-storied program.

Since December 12, 2017 - when I made this post - UVA has won 7 straight games and opened the ACC season with a 4-0 record. Granted, the quality of the opposition has not been great, but the Hoos are on top of the ACC right now, with Louisville and Notre Dame.

Virginia currently ranks 50th in RPI and 17th in SOS. For Boyle to keep her job, UVA will likely need to make the NCAA Tournament, which means, at the absolutely minimum, double digit wins in conference games and a win in one ACCT game.

Even that might not be enough. The team loses four seniors ,including three of its top six scorers. I am not aware of UVA having any elite players (or even top 100 players) signed for next year (believe UVA has one signee), though the Hoos do have Amandine Toi, an international freshman who is redshirting this year with a knee injury. The sophomore class is pretty good, but without some spring signees or graduate transfers, even replicating a good year this year will be unlikely next year.

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/08/18 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am very surprised people are mentioning Matthew Mitchell here. Lets assume UK doesn't get much better and they don't make the NCAA tournament, that is the first time that will happen since 2008-2009, his second year. What was UK doing in WBB before Mitchell? I'm guessing they didn't win nearly as much. So he isn't afforded even one rebuild year?

Assistant coach turnover, hey if he made mistakes in hiring why should he not make any changes? Just keep the same staff even if they don't mesh well, if he didn't hire the best fits for his programs? Head coaches have the leeway to do this, assistant coaches are not on long term deals most of the time, this is a transient job for many. Run off is a little harsh, lets say a contract is up, why is the assistant coach supposed to get a default new deal? Can't the head coach evaluate his program at the end of the season and come to a conclusion that a change needs to be made?

Players transferring is an issue but its an issue a lot of places it is just an overall trend in college basketball. And why does every transfer have to be blamed on him? Maybe some of them made mistakes picking Kentucky, he's not forcing anyone to go there, if they aren't happy then great, let them go find a school where they will find happiness. What happened to the kids who went to Oklahoma and Western Kentucky, I didn't even see them on the rosters this year.

I mean if Kentucky is in the NIT 3-4 years in a row ok I get it, but does the guy get no equity built up. Didn't he also just donate a million dollars to the university? It's not even his alma mater.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/08/18 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
I am very surprised people are mentioning Matthew Mitchell here. Lets assume UK doesn't get much better and they don't make the NCAA tournament, that is the first time that will happen since 2008-2009, his second year. What was UK doing in WBB before Mitchell? I'm guessing they didn't win nearly as much. So he isn't afforded even one rebuild year?

Assistant coach turnover, hey if he made mistakes in hiring why should he not make any changes? Just keep the same staff even if they don't mesh well, if he didn't hire the best fits for his programs? Head coaches have the leeway to do this, assistant coaches are not on long term deals most of the time, this is a transient job for many. Run off is a little harsh, lets say a contract is up, why is the assistant coach supposed to get a default new deal? Can't the head coach evaluate his program at the end of the season and come to a conclusion that a change needs to be made?

Players transferring is an issue but its an issue a lot of places it is just an overall trend in college basketball. And why does every transfer have to be blamed on him? Maybe some of them made mistakes picking Kentucky, he's not forcing anyone to go there, if they aren't happy then great, let them go find a school where they will find happiness. What happened to the kids who went to Oklahoma and Western Kentucky, I didn't even see them on the rosters this year.

I mean if Kentucky is in the NIT 3-4 years in a row ok I get it, but does the guy get no equity built up. Didn't he also just donate a million dollars to the university? It's not even his alma mater.

I love your dedication to save your coach , unfortunately he is not producing. And it only looks to be getting worse .

PostPosted: 01/08/18 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I love your dedication to save your coach , unfortunately he is not producing. And it only looks to be getting worse .

He's not my coach, I just think its absurd to think he is on the hot seat with one bad year.

~UK~

PostPosted: 01/09/18 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

Should donating to a school ensure job security? Seriously!??

It’s easy to support a coach from afar. Keep drinking the Matthew Mitchell Kool-Aid.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/09/18 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

He's not my coach, I just think its absurd to think he is on the hot seat with one bad year.

Agreed. Let's see what kind of recruits he has coming and what he does with them next year. Assistants come and assistants go. That's just a fact of life. Get used to it. Rarely do they stay as long as those at UConn or UT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: