RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3493
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 2:06 pm    ::: The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread Reply Reply with quote

I haven't we this started yet and it's a year to the date where the 2017 thread started. Almost to the start of conference play.

Let's review last years fsvorites.

Tennessee Holly Warlick

Rutgers C Vic Stringer

Virginia.JoAnne Boyle

Clemson Audra Smith

So Cal. Cynthia Duke-Cooper (who did not retain her position).



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3493
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the heat is on in Norman.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 2962



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I think the heat is on in Norman.


Really? She seems like an institution.


patsweetpat



Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 1959
Location: Culver City, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
I think the heat is on in Norman.


Really? She seems like an institution.


I agree. In the 10 seasons preceding Coale's hiring, the Sooners had gone to the NCAA Tournament exactly 1 time (a loss in the 2nd round of the tourney). By contrast, Coale has coached the Sooners to NCAA Tourney appearances in the last 18 consecutive seasons, 3 of which included Final Four runs.

I wouldn't understand the logic behind throwing that away.


Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 149



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
I think the heat is on in Norman.


Really? She seems like an institution.


I agree. In the 10 seasons preceding Coale's hiring, the Sooners had gone to the NCAA Tournament exactly 1 time (a loss in the 2nd round of the tourney). By contrast, Coale has coached the Sooners to NCAA Tourney appearances in the last 18 consecutive seasons, 3 of which included Final Four runs.

I wouldn't understand the logic behind throwing that away.


While I agree she isn't on the hot seat, I think she should be. I believe she's one of the highest paid WBB coaches in the country IIRC. The success she has had the past years you could get with a new coach with half the salary. Just saying.


Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 149



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 6:31 pm    ::: Re: The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I haven't we this started yet and it's a year to the date where the 2017 thread started. Almost to the start of conference play.

Let's review last years fsvorites.

Tennessee Holly Warlick

Rutgers C Vic Stringer

Virginia.JoAnne Boyle

Clemson Audra Smith

So Cal. Cynthia Duke-Cooper (who did not retain her position).


JoAnne Boule has to be done. Great person, but just doesn't seem to have control of her team. Tons of talent on her roster. No reason to underperform that badly.

I don't see Holly going anywhere Or Stringer.

Clemson and Audra Smith is a tough one. She just hasn't recruited any talent, but does Clemson care enough to do anything about it?


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12107



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 6:38 pm    ::: Re: The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:



JoAnne Boule has to be done. Great person, but just doesn't seem to have control of her team. Tons of talent on her roster. No reason to underperform that badly.



You would think so, but every year it's "this will be the year", and then it's not.

Plus there has been some really elite talent in Virginia, and she has attracted none of it to UVA.

But I'm not convinced the AD has any interest in making a change.


Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 149



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 6:54 pm    ::: Re: The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:



JoAnne Boule has to be done. Great person, but just doesn't seem to have control of her team. Tons of talent on her roster. No reason to underperform that badly.



You would think so, but every year it's "this will be the year", and then it's not.

Plus there has been some really elite talent in Virginia, and she has attracted none of it to UVA.

But I'm not convinced the AD has any interest in making a change.


I think this is the year if she doesn't make the tournament, which I don't think they will. I will say they should have been in last year. They got screwed in my opinion.


#Occasionalwnbafan



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Posts: 1191



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
I think the heat is on in Norman.


Really? She seems like an institution.


I agree. In the 10 seasons preceding Coale's hiring, the Sooners had gone to the NCAA Tournament exactly 1 time (a loss in the 2nd round of the tourney). By contrast, Coale has coached the Sooners to NCAA Tourney appearances in the last 18 consecutive seasons, 3 of which included Final Four runs.

I wouldn't understand the logic behind throwing that away.


While I agree she isn't on the hot seat, I think she should be. I believe she's one of the highest paid WBB coaches in the country IIRC. The success she has had the past years you could get with a new coach with half the salary. Just saying.


Comes down to recruiting, at one time OU could get a few top 50th kids in one class, now getting a kid in the top 150 is a challenge. Sherri only goes after a "specific" type of kid, and if that player isn't that, they're normally not a match for OU.
Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 149



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
I think the heat is on in Norman.


Really? She seems like an institution.


I agree. In the 10 seasons preceding Coale's hiring, the Sooners had gone to the NCAA Tournament exactly 1 time (a loss in the 2nd round of the tourney). By contrast, Coale has coached the Sooners to NCAA Tourney appearances in the last 18 consecutive seasons, 3 of which included Final Four runs.

I wouldn't understand the logic behind throwing that away.


While I agree she isn't on the hot seat, I think she should be. I believe she's one of the highest paid WBB coaches in the country IIRC. The success she has had the past years you could get with a new coach with half the salary. Just saying.


Comes down to recruiting, at one time OU could get a few top 50th kids in one class, now getting a kid in the top 150 is a challenge. Sherri only goes after a "specific" type of kid, and if that player isn't that, they're normally not a match for OU.


Every year the past few years she has gotten at least one top 50 kid even a few in the top 20. Nancy Mulkey, Gabrielle Ortiz, and another one that transferred as well. She has plenty of talent compared to other programs in the top 25. I don't see it being a challenge for her. She has elite players coming in next year and I believe the following year as well. Bottom line is they underperform with the talent they have.


dinkytown



Joined: 18 Sep 2011
Posts: 2233



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stringer just signed a 4 year extension. Rutgers already has more wins than last year and they should win at least a handful in the Big Ten. I think she'll be at Rutgers until she retires.


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3493
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SMS at Pitt. Hasn't done much in quite some time.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10042
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She may not be on the Hot Seat now, but June Daugherty's contract at Washington State runs out after the 2018-19 season. I have a hunch they will not renew her when the contract expires.



_________________
"My mechanic told me, 'I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder'." - comedian Steven Wright
adamj95



Joined: 09 May 2014
Posts: 1226



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please please please can the Gophers get rid of Stollings?



_________________
4 time WNBA Champion, 3rd all time in Assists, Minnesota's own: LINDSAY WHALEN.
dinkytown



Joined: 18 Sep 2011
Posts: 2233



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Please please please can the Gophers get rid of Stollings?


Maybe UVA will hire her back to the east coast once they fire Boyle. Laughing She did recruit Hubbard from Virginia!


BallState1984



Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Posts: 1863
Location: Halfway between Muncie and West Lafayette


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dare I say it now... Versyp?



_________________
Terminally afffected with Our Girl Syndrome and proud of it!
patsweetpat



Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 1959
Location: Culver City, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
I think the heat is on in Norman.


Really? She seems like an institution.


I agree. In the 10 seasons preceding Coale's hiring, the Sooners had gone to the NCAA Tournament exactly 1 time (a loss in the 2nd round of the tourney). By contrast, Coale has coached the Sooners to NCAA Tourney appearances in the last 18 consecutive seasons, 3 of which included Final Four runs.

I wouldn't understand the logic behind throwing that away.


While I agree she isn't on the hot seat, I think she should be. I believe she's one of the highest paid WBB coaches in the country IIRC. The success she has had the past years you could get with a new coach with half the salary. Just saying.


Comes down to recruiting, at one time OU could get a few top 50th kids in one class, now getting a kid in the top 150 is a challenge. Sherri only goes after a "specific" type of kid, and if that player isn't that, they're normally not a match for OU.


Every year the past few years she has gotten at least one top 50 kid even a few in the top 20. Nancy Mulkey, Gabrielle Ortiz, and another one that transferred as well. She has plenty of talent compared to other programs in the top 25. I don't see it being a challenge for her. She has elite players coming in next year and I believe the following year as well. Bottom line is they underperform with the talent they have.


"Underperform" is such a tricky word, imo. Do Coale's Sooners "underperform" when compared to OU's historical standard prior to Coale's arrival? Not by the faintest stretch. Do Coale's Sooners "underperform" when compared to the theoretical W/L record one might expect from the players that she's recruited? Maybe or maybe not, I genuinely don't know. But if Coale's recruiting were to suddenly take a nosedive and the Sooners were to somehow post a similar record, would that mean that the Sooners have then "overperformed"?


SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 2830
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Please please please can the Gophers get rid of Stollings?


Hopefully missing the NCAA Tournament again will be good enough to, as their non-conference schedule is bad enough they probably will miss it unless they go at least 11-5 in Big Ten. Very Happy


patsweetpat



Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 1959
Location: Culver City, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
She may not be on the Hot Seat now, but June Daugherty's contract at Washington State runs out after the 2018-19 season. I have a hunch they will not renew her when the contract expires.


As mediocre as Wazzu has been under Daugherty, these past few seasons are actually a solid improvement on where Cougar basketball was prior to June's arrival, and amounts to one of WSU's better eras in its entire history as a Pac-10/12 wbb program.

Also, fwiw, Daugherty's coaching bio says that she signed a contract extension through the 2021-2022 season.


Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 149



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
I think the heat is on in Norman.


Really? She seems like an institution.


I agree. In the 10 seasons preceding Coale's hiring, the Sooners had gone to the NCAA Tournament exactly 1 time (a loss in the 2nd round of the tourney). By contrast, Coale has coached the Sooners to NCAA Tourney appearances in the last 18 consecutive seasons, 3 of which included Final Four runs.

I wouldn't understand the logic behind throwing that away.


While I agree she isn't on the hot seat, I think she should be. I believe she's one of the highest paid WBB coaches in the country IIRC. The success she has had the past years you could get with a new coach with half the salary. Just saying.


Comes down to recruiting, at one time OU could get a few top 50th kids in one class, now getting a kid in the top 150 is a challenge. Sherri only goes after a "specific" type of kid, and if that player isn't that, they're normally not a match for OU.


Every year the past few years she has gotten at least one top 50 kid even a few in the top 20. Nancy Mulkey, Gabrielle Ortiz, and another one that transferred as well. She has plenty of talent compared to other programs in the top 25. I don't see it being a challenge for her. She has elite players coming in next year and I believe the following year as well. Bottom line is they underperform with the talent they have.




"Underperform" is such a tricky word, imo. Do Coale's Sooners "underperform" when compared to OU's historical standard prior to Coale's arrival? Not by the faintest stretch. Do Coale's Sooners "underperform" when compared to the theoretical W/L record one might expect from the players that she's recruited? Maybe or maybe not, I genuinely don't know. But if Coale's recruiting were to suddenly take a nosedive and the Sooners were to somehow post a similar record, would that mean that the Sooners have then "overperformed"?


Compared to years prior to her, yes they are doing good. Except this year. I do think with the talent she has this year, they are underperforming. They lost to a bad little Rock team and a bad Florida team. She has several top 100 recruits on her roster. But from my previous statement, I believe she's one of the highest paid coaches. From that standpoint as an AD, I would expect much better results.


adamj95



Joined: 09 May 2014
Posts: 1226



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
Please please please can the Gophers get rid of Stollings?


Hopefully missing the NCAA Tournament again will be good enough to, as their non-conference schedule is bad enough they probably will miss it unless they go at least 11-5 in Big Ten. Very Happy


The B10 is down this year but with the Gophers lack of defense, that might not matter. I would hope missing the tournament and a losing record would get her fired but I do believe her contract isn't up for a few more years so who knows.



_________________
4 time WNBA Champion, 3rd all time in Assists, Minnesota's own: LINDSAY WHALEN.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 4306
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Nikki Caldwell has still yet to produce anything at LSU and her job is still safe ? Shes one of the biggest discussions year after year . Im sure Coach Gunter is turning over in her grave .



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 2798
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
Please please please can the Gophers get rid of Stollings?


Hopefully missing the NCAA Tournament again will be good enough to, as their non-conference schedule is bad enough they probably will miss it unless they go at least 11-5 in Big Ten. Very Happy


The B10 is down this year but with the Gophers lack of defense, that might not matter. I would hope missing the tournament and a losing record would get her fired but I do believe her contract isn't up for a few more years so who knows.


She’s signed into 2021.


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3493
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candi Whittaker at Texas Tech.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55147
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
And Nikki Caldwell has still yet to produce anything at LSU and her job is still safe ? Shes one of the biggest discussions year after year . Im sure Coach Gunter is turning over in her grave .


I can't see why. Caldwell's seasons would fit seamlessly into Gunter's career (other than Gunter's last two seasons when Chatman was the de facto coach).



_________________
Come love come, the road lies low
The way is long and hard I know
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10748
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Objective, unbiased opinions offered in (Boldfaced parentheticals) Razz
Shmermerer1 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
I think the heat is on in Norman.(Only in the summer)

Really? She seems like an institution. (She IS an Institution)

I agree. In the 10 seasons preceding Coale's hiring, the Sooners had gone to the NCAA Tournament exactly 1 time (a loss in the 2nd round of the tourney). By contrast, Coale has coached the Sooners to NCAA Tourney appearances in the last 18 consecutive seasons, 3 of which included Final Four runs.
I wouldn't understand the logic behind throwing that away. (Correct. They're definitely in a slump, but last year they were only behind FF contenders TX and Baylor in a tough conference. Just LAST Year! This would be a bit premature)

While I agree she isn't on the hot seat, I think she should be. I believe she's one of the highest paid WBB coaches in the country IIRC. The success she has had the past years you could get with a new coach with half the salary. Just saying. ("Success" isn't wiped out with one season's crappy first month, darlin'.)

Comes down to recruiting, at one time OU could get a few top 50th kids in one class, now getting a kid in the top 150 is a challenge.(No. Not true) Sherri only goes after a "specific" type of kid, and if that player isn't that, they're normally not a match for OU.(Where do you get this? Courtney Paris, Stacey Dales, Danielle Robinson, Maddie Manning, Whitney Hand, Nicole Griffin...."specific" in what way???)


Every year the past few years she has gotten at least one top 50 kid even a few in the top 20. Nancy Mulkey, Gabrielle Ortiz, and another one that transferred as well. She has plenty of talent compared to other programs in the top 25. I don't see it being a challenge for her. She has elite players coming in next year and I believe the following year as well. Bottom line is they underperform with the talent they have.

"Underperform" is such a tricky word, imo. Do Coale's Sooners "underperform" when compared to OU's historical standard prior to Coale's arrival? Not by the faintest stretch. Do Coale's Sooners "underperform" when compared to the theoretical W/L record one might expect from the players that she's recruited? Maybe or maybe not, I genuinely don't know. But if Coale's recruiting were to suddenly take a nosedive and the Sooners were to somehow post a similar record, would that mean that the Sooners have then "overperformed"?(Hark! A voice of reason....thanks, Pat!)

Compared to years prior to her, yes they are doing good. Except this year. I do think with the talent she has this year, they are underperforming. They lost to a bad little Rock team and a bad Florida team. She has several top 100 recruits on her roster. But from my previous statement, I believe she's one of the highest paid coaches. From that standpoint as an AD, I would expect much better results.(I think I can see why you're NOT an AD, LOL! Yeah, she's seen some bad losses this season. But I can promise you this: she most definitely WILL have them at/near the middle of the Big12 in 2 months. Your logic might apply to the likes of CViv or Sylvia Hatchell, but NOT Coale. Watch 'em, baby!Wink)


NEXXXXT! Laughing



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 149



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/05/17 3:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Objective, unbiased opinions offered in (Boldfaced parentheticals) Razz
Shmermerer1 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
I think the heat is on in Norman.(Only in the summer)

Really? She seems like an institution. (She IS an Institution)

I agree. In the 10 seasons preceding Coale's hiring, the Sooners had gone to the NCAA Tournament exactly 1 time (a loss in the 2nd round of the tourney). By contrast, Coale has coached the Sooners to NCAA Tourney appearances in the last 18 consecutive seasons, 3 of which included Final Four runs.
I wouldn't understand the logic behind throwing that away. (Correct. They're definitely in a slump, but last year they were only behind FF contenders TX and Baylor in a tough conference. Just LAST Year! This would be a bit premature)

While I agree she isn't on the hot seat, I think she should be. I believe she's one of the highest paid WBB coaches in the country IIRC. The success she has had the past years you could get with a new coach with half the salary. Just saying. ("Success" isn't wiped out with one season's crappy first month, darlin'.)

Comes down to recruiting, at one time OU could get a few top 50th kids in one class, now getting a kid in the top 150 is a challenge.(No. Not true) Sherri only goes after a "specific" type of kid, and if that player isn't that, they're normally not a match for OU.(Where do you get this? Courtney Paris, Stacey Dales, Danielle Robinson, Maddie Manning, Whitney Hand, Nicole Griffin...."specific" in what way???)


Every year the past few years she has gotten at least one top 50 kid even a few in the top 20. Nancy Mulkey, Gabrielle Ortiz, and another one that transferred as well. She has plenty of talent compared to other programs in the top 25. I don't see it being a challenge for her. She has elite players coming in next year and I believe the following year as well. Bottom line is they underperform with the talent they have.

"Underperform" is such a tricky word, imo. Do Coale's Sooners "underperform" when compared to OU's historical standard prior to Coale's arrival? Not by the faintest stretch. Do Coale's Sooners "underperform" when compared to the theoretical W/L record one might expect from the players that she's recruited? Maybe or maybe not, I genuinely don't know. But if Coale's recruiting were to suddenly take a nosedive and the Sooners were to somehow post a similar record, would that mean that the Sooners have then "overperformed"?(Hark! A voice of reason....thanks, Pat!)

Compared to years prior to her, yes they are doing good. Except this year. I do think with the talent she has this year, they are underperforming. They lost to a bad little Rock team and a bad Florida team. She has several top 100 recruits on her roster. But from my previous statement, I believe she's one of the highest paid coaches. From that standpoint as an AD, I would expect much better results.(I think I can see why you're NOT an AD, LOL! Yeah, she's seen some bad losses this season. But I can promise you this: she most definitely WILL have them at/near the middle of the Big12 in 2 months. Your logic might apply to the likes of CViv or Sylvia Hatchell, but NOT Coale. Watch 'em, baby!Wink)


NEXXXXT! Laughing


So I was referring to results based off her salary if you look at my comments. Again she’s one of the highest paid coaches in WCBB. Losing in the first or second round in the NCAAs and placing third in a mediocre Big 12 conference last year isn’t something to brag about. Again I don’t think she’s a bad coach at all, but I don’t think she’s worth what she’s getting paid. NEXT!


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10748
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/05/17 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Losing in the first or second round in the NCAAs and placing third in a mediocre Big 12 conference last year isn’t something to brag about. Again I don’t think she’s a bad coach at all, but I don’t think she’s worth what she’s getting paid. NEXT!


A. I don't remember ever hearing her (or me) brag about her record.
B. It IS plenty good enough to NOT be on the Hot Seat [See: Thread Title]



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 581



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/05/17 10:32 am    ::: Re: The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I haven't we this started yet and it's a year to the date where the 2017 thread started. Almost to the start of conference play.

Let's review last years fsvorites.

Tennessee Holly Warlick

Rutgers C Vic Stringer

Virginia.JoAnne Boyle

Clemson Audra Smith

So Cal. Cynthia Duke-Cooper (who did not retain her position).


I doubt this year's team is going to play poorly enough to get Holly Warlick fired, unless the revolving door on the AD's office there eventually installs someone determined to do it.


allenleavell



Joined: 28 Apr 2010
Posts: 631



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/05/17 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
Losing in the first or second round in the NCAAs and placing third in a mediocre Big 12 conference last year isn’t something to brag about. Again I don’t think she’s a bad coach at all, but I don’t think she’s worth what she’s getting paid. NEXT!


A. I don't remember ever hearing her (or me) brag about her record.
B. It IS plenty good enough to NOT be on the Hot Seat [See: Thread Title]

She has only one top 100 player on the roster Anna Illausa. Everybody is just somebody she liked.


#Occasionalwnbafan



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Posts: 1191



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/05/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ortiz is about 5'6 and has not improved at all during her time in Norman, she was #14 on Hoopgurlz, but PN had her in the 50ths or 60ths coming out of high school, not an elite player. Mulkey even tho 6'9 was a D1 project, not sure why she was ranked so high coming out of high school, maybe because she did win gold one summer with USAB? if you look at her high school scoring and rebounding numbers, you would ask yourself WTF.

about the "specific" type of player, Sherri normally goes for girls with a christian background, I've also heard she use to have a mandatory bible study.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55147
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/05/17 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
Losing in the first or second round in the NCAAs and placing third in a mediocre Big 12 conference last year isn’t something to brag about. Again I don’t think she’s a bad coach at all, but I don’t think she’s worth what she’s getting paid. NEXT!


A. I don't remember ever hearing her (or me) brag about her record.
B. It IS plenty good enough to NOT be on the Hot Seat [See: Thread Title]


Oklahoma doesn't care that much. As long as she runs a clean program and finishes in the top half of the B12 most of the time she can stay forever.



_________________
Come love come, the road lies low
The way is long and hard I know
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 13963
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/05/17 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
Dare I say it now... Versyp?


Morgan Burke gave her a big extension on his way out the door (why he was allowed to do this, I will never understand), so it would be an expensive buy-out.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10748
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/05/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Ortiz is about 5'6 and has not improved at all during her time in Norman, she was #14 on Hoopgurlz, but PN had her in the 50ths or 60ths coming out of high school, not an elite player.


DEFINITELY true. NOT up to hype.

allenleavell wrote:
She has only one top 100 player on the roster Anna Illausa. Everybody is just somebody she liked.


....and, what?? Can't play at all? The freshmen have been pretty decent, imo. If she likes Christians, well....God bless 'em. There are worse things.

Yep, the above may ring true, but....BUT: this thread is about Hot Seats and coaches who aren't coaching well, not recruiting (and I agree, her recruiting has fallen off since the Paris years). I don't believe Coale is really feeling any warmth in her tuckus.

pilight wrote:
Oklahoma doesn't care that much. As long as she runs a clean program and finishes in the top half of the B12 most of the time she can stay forever.

Ya, they DO care....she's actually MADE them 'care' more than they usta. But no, not UConn/TN/SC 'care'. She's safe. Cool

NEXXXT.
Laughing



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 149



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/05/17 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Ortiz is about 5'6 and has not improved at all during her time in Norman, she was #14 on Hoopgurlz, but PN had her in the 50ths or 60ths coming out of high school, not an elite player.


DEFINITELY true. NOT up to hype.

allenleavell wrote:
She has only one top 100 player on the roster Anna Illausa. Everybody is just somebody she liked.


....and, what?? Can't play at all? The freshmen have been pretty decent, imo. If she likes Christians, well....God bless 'em. There are worse things.

Yep, the above may ring true, but....BUT: this thread is about Hot Seats and coaches who aren't coaching well, not recruiting (and I agree, her recruiting has fallen off since the Paris years). I don't believe Coale is really feeling any warmth in her tuckus.

pilight wrote:
Oklahoma doesn't care that much. As long as she runs a clean program and finishes in the top half of the B12 most of the time she can stay forever.

Ya, they DO care....she's actually MADE them 'care' more than they usta. But no, not UConn/TN/SC 'care'. She's safe. Cool

NEXXXT.
Laughing


Just to clarify I did say that I don’t think she’s in the hot seat, but I did say if I were an AD I would consider the fact that she gets paid at the top of WCBB and that they could probably pay a coach for a lot less and achieve just as good of results. Again JMO. Also, recruiting is apart of being a great coach. DePaul has a difficult time in recruiting as well, but we achieve solid results with less talent and I lm pretty sure Doug doesn’t get paid as well as Sherri.


CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 16703
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/12/17 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In Boyle's first six seasons at Virginia (i.e., the six seasons before the current one), her overall record is 110–85 (.564). Her ACC record is 43–55 (.439). The only time her teams finished above .500 in conference play was during her first season, when UVA went 9-7, finished 6th in the ACC, and made the WNIT quarterfinals.

Boyle, as written in her contract, got automatic one-year extensions on April 11, 2012, and April 11, 2013. That puts her under contract with UVa through the 2017-18 season (Link: http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierinsider/boyle-will-return-as-uva-women-s-basketball-coach/article_cca2d24e-e011-11e5-86cd-8b0b684c9aee.html).

Virginia, with a record of 4-6, is currently 83rd in the Sagarin rankings. While the Cavaliers have played the 24th toughest schedule, the team is 0-3 against the Sagarin Top 25 and 0-4 against the Sagarin Top 50. In the RealTime RPI rankings, Virginia is 155th; in the NCAA RPI ratings, Virginia is 152nd.

In other words, if Virginia does not make the NCAA Tournament or finish in the top half of the ACC, the Cavaliers AD will have the ability to go in a different direction for the once-storied program.


CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 16703
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/12/17 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
Losing in the first or second round in the NCAAs and placing third in a mediocre Big 12 conference last year isn’t something to brag about. Again I don’t think she’s a bad coach at all, but I don’t think she’s worth what she’s getting paid. NEXT!


A. I don't remember ever hearing her (or me) brag about her record.
B. It IS plenty good enough to NOT be on the Hot Seat [See: Thread Title]


Oklahoma doesn't care that much. As long as she runs a clean program and finishes in the top half of the B12 most of the time she can stay forever.


Sherri Coale's teams have finished 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the Big 12 for 10 out of the last 12 seasons. The one year the team did not finish in the Top 3? 2013-2014 (5th) and 2015-2016 (4th). In the last 12 years, she made the Sweet 16 six times, with two Final Four appearances.

Now, her last three teams have lost in the NCAA Second Round. But is that enough to put her on the "hot seat?"

For comparison, Joanne P. McCallie has been at Duke for 10 years (this is her 11th season). She made the Elite Eight four times and the Sweet 16 six times. But she has zero Final Four appearances, has lost in the NCAA Second Round three times (twice at home), and missed the NCAA Tournament entirely in one season. Coach P's teams have finished in the top 3 of the ACC in 8 of those ten years (with finishes of 4th and 7th in the other two years).

McCallie is on the hot seat in the minds of many Duke fans because she has not lived up to the performance of her predecessor or relative to the talent recruited (# McDAAs, etc.). But she is not on the hot seat because her teams have averaged 27 wins per year, and, on paper, it is a fine resume while at Duke.

For similar reasons, Coale should not be anywhere near the hot seat.

EDITED TO ADD: In 2016, Sherri Coale was extended through 2021; her yearly salary remained at a guaranteed $1.1 million per year. Joanne P. McCallie also had her contract extended through 2021.




Last edited by CamrnCrz1974 on 12/12/17 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ladyvol777



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 215



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/12/17 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I think the heat is on in Norman.


Tennessee Holly Warlick is off the hot seat now....


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15265
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/12/17 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Ortiz is about 5'6 and has not improved at all during her time in Norman, she was #14 on Hoopgurlz, but PN had her in the 50ths or 60ths coming out of high school, not an elite player. Mulkey even tho 6'9 was a D1 project, not sure why she was ranked so high coming out of high school, maybe because she did win gold one summer with USAB? if you look at her high school scoring and rebounding numbers, you would ask yourself WTF.

about the "specific" type of player, Sherri normally goes for girls with a christian background, I've also heard she use to have a mandatory bible study.


Mandatory Bible study... at a public institution?

Could I get a link on that? That does not seem kosher.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 45168



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/12/17 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
I think the heat is on in Norman.


Tennessee Holly Warlick is off the hot seat now....


But she's been on a scorching hot seat for a few years now. If she's now off the hot seat, it's kinda like saying no coach should ever be on the hot seat because you never know when things might click down the line.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin