RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

So happy for Azura Stevens

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5488
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/03/17 5:51 pm    ::: So happy for Azura Stevens Reply Reply with quote

Azura now playing for a team that can beat Notre Dame. Two years at Duke getting stomped by Notre Dame - you bet she got emotional in helping to bring her team back for the victory.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2344
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/03/17 7:42 pm    ::: Re: So happy for Azura Stevens Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Azura now playing for a team that can beat Notre Dame. Two years at Duke getting stomped by Notre Dame - you bet she got emotional in helping to bring her team back for the victory.


UConn is about the only team that beats ND nowadays, so regardless of where she had gone to school originally, she would have been getting stomped by the Irish.


Homyonkel



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 123



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/03/17 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's been a real help, and not just as a substitute for Samuelson. And she will be an important part of the team. Especially if she gives up her 3 point shooting and uses her 78 inches where the basketball gods prefer.


bballjunkie



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 631



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She has been a good addition. I don’t have a problem with the few 3s she shoots but I do hope she buys in to some kind of defense sooner rather than later.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49486



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's a lottery pick whenever she decides to enter the draft.

Excellent recruiting job by McCallie to spot something in this #23 rated player (I believe) that others didn't. Obviously she didn't spot loyalty because it wasn't there, but that's how it goes sometimes.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5488
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
She's a lottery pick whenever she decides to enter the draft.

Excellent recruiting job by McCallie to spot something in this #23 rated player (I believe) that others didn't. Obviously she didn't spot loyalty because it wasn't there, but that's how it goes sometimes.


JPM did not "spot" anything. Azura grew up locally. There was no touting of her talent until she produced on the floor. You can compare pre-season statements about Azura and Jade Williams if you like. It was pure luck JPM had her two years. It was intelligence (of Z factor) that JPM didn't have her two more.

Azura could have stayed and looked like a superstar on a relatively mediocre team but she knew she'd be a better player under Coach Geno. I can't explain why so few of her 3 pt shots are falling. They went (at a higher rate) in when she had the green light to do whatever she felt like when she was the superstar on the floor. Geno wants only 40%+ 3 pt shooting specialists taking those shots, which is also what the WNBA wants. Breanna got a pass due to her NC game success. Hard to argue with that.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12914



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/17 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apropos this thread, you might want to listen to a minute or two of Geno's press conference yesterday starting around 8:20.

https://youtu.be/tQPnqhhfUv0

He talks about her again starting around 12:50. Considering she's been working with Geno for over a year, he sounds a little bit frustrated.


Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2153



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/05/17 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well he was right about playing Stevens and Collier together as they were not very good defensively and gave up a lot of lay ups. Williams was clearly missed.


willtalk



Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Posts: 536
Location: NorCal


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/22/17 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Apropos this thread, you might want to listen to a minute or two of Geno's press conference yesterday starting around 8:20.

https://youtu.be/tQPnqhhfUv0

He talks about her again starting around 12:50. Considering she's been working with Geno for over a year, he sounds a little bit frustrated.


Just saw this video so the comment is late but. Geno's very public criticism of Stevens in this video is far far harsher than any thing Mc Calley ever did at Duke. She generally might have criticized the team in general but seldom if ever zeroed in on a specific player. Recently there was a thread somewhere about Tara really ripping into her players after a game. Well Tare was not accused of throwing her players under the bus and no one would ever dare criticize Geno for his remarks about his players deficiencies. It just points out another double standard that was put on McCalley by Duke fans.

The criticism McCalley got was generally about her coaching stylea and system. It wasn't the same as the coach that she followed who took more of a positive reinforcement approach. Both styles work can work depending on the personality of the coach. One thing RAF and some other Duke people didn't like about McCalley is her treating her players like adults and not children who need to be coddled. She held them accountable.

When I first stated posting over at the "Devils Den" it seemed to me like I was in an old "Little Rascal" episode .The one where Miss Crabtree replaces their beloved teacher Miss McGillicuddy. So they proceed to sabotage her to run her off. MaCalley was different in many respects to Coach G. and that was the biggest bone of contention among those that had elevated Miss McGillicuddy ( I mean coach G ) into mythical heights.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4890
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/22/17 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Geno criticizes someone I'll take it as valid. Dude knows what he's talking about. McCallie, not so much.

My opinion. YMMV.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 10976
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus. If u were in my safe space, you'd have to be f'd up


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/22/17 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meh. Hardly "harsh" criticism of Stevens.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
Iluvacc



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 2612



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/22/17 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did Stevens contact Uconn first during the transfer process or was it vice-versa?


readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5488
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/22/17 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Apropos this thread, you might want to listen to a minute or two of Geno's press conference yesterday starting around 8:20.

https://youtu.be/tQPnqhhfUv0

He talks about her again starting around 12:50. Considering she's been working with Geno for over a year, he sounds a little bit frustrated.


Just saw this video so the comment is late but. Geno's very public criticism of Stevens in this video is far far harsher than any thing Mc Calley ever did at Duke. She generally might have criticized the team in general but seldom if ever zeroed in on a specific player. Recently there was a thread somewhere about Tara really ripping into her players after a game. Well Tare was not accused of throwing her players under the bus and no one would ever dare criticize Geno for his remarks about his players deficiencies. It just points out another double standard that was put on McCalley by Duke fans.

The criticism McCalley got was generally about her coaching stylea and system. It wasn't the same as the coach that she followed who took more of a positive reinforcement approach. Both styles work can work depending on the personality of the coach. One thing RAF and some other Duke people didn't like about McCalley is her treating her players like adults and not children who need to be coddled. She held them accountable.

When I first stated posting over at the "Devils Den" it seemed to me like I was in an old "Little Rascal" episode .The one where Miss Crabtree replaces their beloved teacher Miss McGillicuddy. So they proceed to sabotage her to run her off. MaCalley was different in many respects to Coach G. and that was the biggest bone of contention among those that had elevated Miss McGillicuddy ( I mean coach G ) into mythical heights.


Oh. Please. A coach with TEN National Championships who criticizes a player after a victory cannot in any universe be compared to a coach who took a program from elite status, competing for the FF every year to a team that is barely relevant on the national scene. Please read some of what Azura herself says about the differences.

Coach G used different techniques on different players. Yes, she used a LOT of positive reinforcement, reading clubs, finding and promoting a player's interest. She also threw balls at players' heads. Get a freaking grip. Coach G was not perfect and nobody ever said she was. She certainly was a coach who knew how to prepare a team to compete with the best teams in the country - and sometimes beat them. Coach JPM just stops playing teams she cannot beat. (hello artificially raised winning percentage)

Here's a typical Coach JPM treating a player like an "adult:" "You make me sick. You're such a baby you'll never make it into medical school, let alone become a doctor." Or "I'd rather vomit than play on a team with you." If those are considered to be just "talking to players like they're adults" then I see we have different definitions of verbal abuse - especially when it comes to a 40 something adult talking to a teenager. These statements are verified by multiple sources as witnesses. I saw a printed email one player sent to another, neither of whom were the target of the verbal assault.

Like I said: ask Azura her opinion of Coach Geno vs Coach JPM. Even after his open criticism of her play. By the way, did he say anything like "she's disgusting", or "makes him sick?" BIG BIG difference between critiquing play and personal insults.

Willtalk: seriously get a grip here. Save your mischaracterization of JPM critics for DBR, which boots people off if they don't fawn over this idiot coach. Not one of them are fans of the women's team. They are men's basketball fans who think it's perfectly fine for Duke to continue to field a far inferior "ladies" product as long as the men keep winning.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 2120



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/22/17 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Apropos this thread, you might want to listen to a minute or two of Geno's press conference yesterday starting around 8:20.

https://youtu.be/tQPnqhhfUv0

He talks about her again starting around 12:50. Considering she's been working with Geno for over a year, he sounds a little bit frustrated.


Just saw this video so the comment is late but. Geno's very public criticism of Stevens in this video is far far harsher than any thing Mc Calley ever did at Duke. She generally might have criticized the team in general but seldom if ever zeroed in on a specific player. Recently there was a thread somewhere about Tara really ripping into her players after a game. Well Tare was not accused of throwing her players under the bus and no one would ever dare criticize Geno for his remarks about his players deficiencies. It just points out another double standard that was put on McCalley by Duke fans.

The criticism McCalley got was generally about her coaching stylea and system. It wasn't the same as the coach that she followed who took more of a positive reinforcement approach. Both styles work can work depending on the personality of the coach. One thing RAF and some other Duke people didn't like about McCalley is her treating her players like adults and not children who need to be coddled. She held them accountable.

When I first stated posting over at the "Devils Den" it seemed to me like I was in an old "Little Rascal" episode .The one where Miss Crabtree replaces their beloved teacher Miss McGillicuddy. So they proceed to sabotage her to run her off. MaCalley was different in many respects to Coach G. and that was the biggest bone of contention among those that had elevated Miss McGillicuddy ( I mean coach G ) into mythical heights.


Honestly, at this point, you are making up things about both Coach Goestenkors AND Coach McCallie just to continue a narrative that I already tried to point out was not a particularly accurate reading of the situation at the time.
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5488
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
willtalk wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Apropos this thread, you might want to listen to a minute or two of Geno's press conference yesterday starting around 8:20.

https://youtu.be/tQPnqhhfUv0

He talks about her again starting around 12:50. Considering she's been working with Geno for over a year, he sounds a little bit frustrated.


Just saw this video so the comment is late but. Geno's very public criticism of Stevens in this video is far far harsher than any thing Mc Calley ever did at Duke. She generally might have criticized the team in general but seldom if ever zeroed in on a specific player. Recently there was a thread somewhere about Tara really ripping into her players after a game. Well Tare was not accused of throwing her players under the bus and no one would ever dare criticize Geno for his remarks about his players deficiencies. It just points out another double standard that was put on McCalley by Duke fans.

The criticism McCalley got was generally about her coaching stylea and system. It wasn't the same as the coach that she followed who took more of a positive reinforcement approach. Both styles work can work depending on the personality of the coach. One thing RAF and some other Duke people didn't like about McCalley is her treating her players like adults and not children who need to be coddled. She held them accountable.

When I first stated posting over at the "Devils Den" it seemed to me like I was in an old "Little Rascal" episode .The one where Miss Crabtree replaces their beloved teacher Miss McGillicuddy. So they proceed to sabotage her to run her off. MaCalley was different in many respects to Coach G. and that was the biggest bone of contention among those that had elevated Miss McGillicuddy ( I mean coach G ) into mythical heights.


Honestly, at this point, you are making up things about both Coach Goestenkors AND Coach McCallie just to continue a narrative that I already tried to point out was not a particularly accurate reading of the situation at the time.


awhorn: I promise you everything I post is verified by multiple sources. You really don't need to comment about things you know nothing about.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17187
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/26/17 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
Honestly, at this point, you are making up things about both Coach Goestenkors AND Coach McCallie just to continue a narrative that I already tried to point out was not a particularly accurate reading of the situation at the time.


awhorn: I promise you everything I post is verified by multiple sources. You really don't need to comment about things you know nothing about.


RAF, awhom was talking to willtalk, not you.


readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5488
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/26/17 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
Honestly, at this point, you are making up things about both Coach Goestenkors AND Coach McCallie just to continue a narrative that I already tried to point out was not a particularly accurate reading of the situation at the time.


awhorn: I promise you everything I post is verified by multiple sources. You really don't need to comment about things you know nothing about.


RAF, awhom was talking to willtalk, not you.


Embarassed Sorry awhorn. Thanks camcrz.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin