RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Notre Dame @ Connecticut - 12/03/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Notre Dame
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Connecticut
78%
 78%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 14

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/03/17 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats UConn. That was a nice comeback.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/03/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Notre Dame lost the game the instant that Samuelson left the game, and they didn't make going right at Stevens their top priority. Muffett coached them right into a loss here.....

ND are a selfish team no chemistry.

What makes you say that? How could a team without chemistry lead a UConn team for so much of a game? What is your favorite team?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/17 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was a good comeback.

You know you have to play to the end against UConn, and Notre Dame didn't do it. Made some bad passes and some bad shot choices in the last seven minutes or so. Can't afford to do that against an excellent team.

And UConn started crashing the boards in a way they hadn't all game. They were sending all five to the boardsdown the stretch.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/03/17 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
At least SC doesn’t bitch and moan at every little thing.

???

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/17 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Notre Dame lost the game the instant that Samuelson left the game, and they didn't make going right at Stevens their top priority. Muffett coached them right into a loss here.....

What makes you say that? How could a team without chemistry lead a UConn team for so much of a game? What is your favorite team?

It's a particularly silly thing to say when ND's chemistry, teamwork, and absence of selfishness has been its hallmark for many years, with this year being no exception.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 12/03/17 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Fighting Artichoke"][quote="bballjunkie"][quote="Conway Gamecock"]Notre Dame lost the game the instant that Samuelson left the game, and they didn't make going right at Stevens their top priority. Muffett coached them right into a loss here.....[/quote]

ND are a selfish team no chemistry.[/quote]

What makes you say that? How could a team without chemistry lead a UConn team for so much of a game? What is your favorite team?[/quote]

Thanks for asking FC you have way more class than another poster. Lack of passing and Mabrey yelling at her team when lead was slipping. That’s when you have to lift your team not put them down.

I will apologize to you FC as some of my responses were more re one poster and not toward you or other fans who appreciate and don’t constantly whine.

ND teams of past like the Novosel and even Cable years were all about sharing the ball.

Last edited by bballjunkie on 12/03/17 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 12/03/17 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After getting manhandled on the boards and showing little energy for 3 periods UConn stages a dramatic comeback on the scoring of Nurse and Stevens and clutch rebounding from freshman Megan Walker.

Did Notre Dame's short bench tire them out late?

UConn's defense looked very soft in the first 3 periods and they didn't seem to show much energy and were sloppy at either end. Or maybe it was just that Notre Dame showed more of both. But whatever, there was role reversal in the 4th period. Notre Dame's 4th period reminded me a lot of how they played in the 4th period last season at TBA.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 12/03/17 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really shocked and pleasantly surprised to see UConn comeback after Lou went out. Kia Nurse did a nice job of directly them to buckle down on defense the last five minutes.

ND is tough, with two shot makers in Mabrey and Arike. They looked great and don’t really see them losing to an ACC team.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/17 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised Muffet didn't take a chance and play Patterson at least a few minutes to extend the bench and give Shepard or Westbeld a little bit of rest. They both looked gassed at the end.

And Young suffered the freeze up so many do facing UConn on the road. That was her worst game of the year. But I guess that was a wash with Williams who was also invisible. It happens.

We sure could have used Vaughn today.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/03/17 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One nice thing is that no one can say that UConn chokes in all their close games. Rolling Eyes

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/03/17 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Thanks for asking FC you have way more class than another poster. Lack of passing and Mabrey yelling at her team when lead was slipping. That’s when you have to lift your team not put them down.

I will apologize to you FC as some of my responses were more re one poster and not toward you or other fans who appreciate and don’t constantly whine.

ND teams of past like the Novosel and even Cable years were all about sharing the ball.

Mabrey is sort of a coach on the floor (like her older sister) and she may have been charged with making sure her teammates stick to the script. Obviously, the team was unable to stop UConn's relentless 4th quarter assault. Like linkster suggested, I think that the Irish got a bit tired down the stretch, as they only played 7 players tonight. I think Muffet should have given Patterson a few minutes to spell some of the starters. Maybe Muffet will be more confident in Danielle by the end of the NCAA tournament. But ND may have run out of gas a bit.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/17 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mabrey is sort of a coach on the floor (like her older sister) and she may have been charged with making sure her teammates stick to the script. Obviously, the team was unable to stop UConn's relentless 4th quarter assault. Like linkster suggested, I think that the Irish got a bit tired down the stretch, as they only played 7 players tonight. I think Muffet should have given Patterson a few minutes to spell some of the starters. Maybe Muffet will be more confident in Danielle by the end of the NCAA tournament. But ND may have run out of gas a bit.

I suspect the missed three from Mabrey down the stretch wasn't in the script either.

What we needed was Arike and Jackie to take the ball to the hoop. Instead Ogunbowale, Thompson and Mabrey all fired from the arc, and other than the one from the corner by Thompson, they missed.

They got out of the offense at the crucial point in the game. Muffet is probably frustrated. That may be where the absence of a true point guard really raises its ugly head.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/03/17 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

attendance - 15,500. A sellout and the first at the XL in several years.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/03/17 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Well Muffet may want to chose a better representative if thats true Laughing She negatively affects your team. Lot of stuff being talked about her by your expats, and its not pretty, kinda makes one think that they are on to something when you see her yell at her team and I have seen it a number times in the games I have watched.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/17 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Motre Dame weems to have gone into "try not to lose" mode looking more to burning clock than scoring. More standing around too. After totally outplaying UConn for 3 periods it would be a shame to blow it now.

I was actually thinking the same thing about the time you posted this. They were slowing it down and then forcing bad late shots against a much more aggressive UConn defense.

I don't have many complaints but this is one tendency by Muffett that always drives me a little nuts. It usually pays off, but I'm a believer in playing the way you got the lead all the way to the end. If, Iike here, the other team makes a run, it's really hard to turn it back on and speed up again after you got into that slow it down mode.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/17 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Lot of stuff being talked about her by your expats, and its not pretty,

By who?

linkster

PostPosted: 12/03/17 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game recap:

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400994964

Quote:
Gabby Williams didn't play in the second half. She had been battling migraines this week.

So maybe Geno wasn't punishing Gabby as Lobo suggested.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/03/17 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Game recap:

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400994964

Quote:
Gabby Williams didn't play in the second half. She had been battling migraines this week.

So maybe Geno wasn't punishing Gabby as Lobo suggested.

Suggested? Seemed much stronger than that.

But I could not imagine playing basketball with a migraine. Doing anything physical while nauseous is brutal

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 12/03/17 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very good game by two very good teams. Looking forward to another match up later in the season perhaps. UCONN is still unsure of itself - looking for a leader to turn to. No one has really stepped up yet. Megan played a great game. Arike is first team AA in my book - just going to get better.

PostPosted: 12/03/17 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
UCONN is still unsure of itself - looking for a leader to turn to. No one has really stepped up yet.

Not sure what you mean by a leader, but Nurse is the obvious leader to me. Keeps the team calm and on an even keel. Knows when to burn clock.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 12/03/17 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
UCONN is still unsure of itself - looking for a leader to turn to. No one has really stepped up yet.

Not sure what you mean by a leader, but Nurse is the obvious leader to me. Keeps the team calm and on an even keel. Knows when to burn clock.

She is inconsistent in that regard, disappearing from time to time, leaving the team rudderless late in the game. Need to see that confident, no one is going to beat us attitude and convey it to the younger players which in several games this year, especially in the fourth quarter she lacked. This is the first fourth quarter against a ranked team that UCONN took over and dominated. Hope you are right Shades.

PostPosted: 12/03/17 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you ND for giving us an entertaining game and a reminder that UConn is really not infallible. Almost, but not quite.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/03/17 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No doubt in my mind the crowd was the driving force behind the win.

Not since the freshman Bria Hartley Baylor game have I witnessed the XL patrons lose their collective shit and actually stand and rally the team. It was fun to experience.

Frankly, my personal main concern is the KLS injury. The rest really is window dressing. It was, after all, an OOC early Dec game.

Importantly, Z earned her dog ears tonight!

PS- linkster may have forgotten UConn won at FSU by 2, at Maryland by 6, and at Tulane by 3 last year. So, the can't win close games thing has been over for a while now. Smile

PostPosted: 12/03/17 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dang. Helluva game. Can't recall any team that consistently plays UConn so tough on their home floor....still not the caliber of game like when Skylar was there to spank 'em, but....

It was an excellent showcase of great talent and coaching, obviously. Nice surprises: ND hasn't really lost anything in the guard department. I really thought there'd be more of a drop-off. Also favorably impressed with Shepard....she's gonna develop much better here than as a Husker.

myrtle wrote:
Katie Lou major flop

Ya, really--LOL! However, I was impressed how little of that she actually did, tho....improvement, I'd say. Was NOT impressed with the "oh, she's hurt again!"/"Oh, yay, she's back" schtick. There's something too fakey about the high drama around that kid.

Stonington_QB wrote:
There's this Irish fan sitting behind us who's been running his mouth the entire game who just headed to the exits. Haha. All it took were a few choice words of my own! These seats were worth every penny tonight!

The actually let an Irish Fan into "First Class" seats?? Damn. Laughing

PostPosted: 12/03/17 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
The ND girls are all standing flat-footed through everything now. They are totally lost...totally shell-shocked. They no longer know who they are and where they are in this reality. Game is over long long ago....

I think this was more ND running out of gas. Towards the end, it seemed like both teams were losing steam, it was just a matter of which one would run out first. Apparently, that was ND.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: