RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oh Shit! Flynn Pleads Guilty to Lying About Russia Probe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 12/11/17 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
I’ll bet Trump is now just days away from issuing pardons for his sons and Jared Kushner and that’s just for starters.

as i understand it, he can't pardon co-conspirators.

Where does that limitation come from? I'm doubtful that is true.

Yeah, the Constitution sets no limits like that on pardons, and I am unaware of any SCOTUS ruling that could be read to suggest such a thing.

The thought is that if what the president does is an abuse of power the constitutional remedy is impeachment for truely egregious offenses, or simply not being reelected for lesser ones.

Now if the pardon is part of an illegal quid pro quo/bribery situation the president could be charged with a crime (though some legal scholars believe they would have to wait until he is out of office to do so).

PostPosted: 12/11/17 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
I’ll bet Trump is now just days away from issuing pardons for his sons and Jared Kushner and that’s just for starters.

as i understand it, he can't pardon co-conspirators.

Where does that limitation come from? I'm doubtful that is true.

Yeah, the Constitution sets no limits like that on pardons, and I am unaware of any SCOTUS ruling that could be read to suggest such a thing.

The thought is that if what the president does is an abuse of power the constitutional remedy is impeachment for truely egregious offenses, or simply not being reelected for lesser ones.

Now if the pardon is part of an illegal quid pro quo/bribery situation the president could be charged with a crime (though some legal scholars believe they would have to wait until he is out of office to do so).

Yeah, Scully. What they said. Wink

Also, even if that were true, he would have to be a proven or convicted co-conspirator. Right? And I'm not sure that it has been proven he isn't able to issue a pardon on HIMSELF at the same time he would pardon all these family members. Am I right about that? I was under the impression even that hasn't been ruled out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: