RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The fate of the Liberty: Relocation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/24/17 10:45 am    ::: The fate of the Liberty: Relocation Reply Reply with quote

Again, looking for good news.

Question 1: In the past, we've heard that new or relocated franchises need many months to hire staff, sell tickets, get sponsors, etc. Since the season starts in May, by what date would the Liberty need to finalize a deal in another city?

Question 2: Since San Francisco appears to be out of the question (Susan Slusser's article didn't mention the Liberty folding, but it was pretty clear the Warriors aren't interested until after their arena is built), are there any other cities with available arenas that make sense in terms of marketing, sponsorship, etc.)?

Question 3: Any idea of how much it might cost to start up a WNBA franchise in a new city, in terms of renting space, hiring people, etc.? In other words, what's the extra cost for a new owner associated with moving the team as opposed to keeping it in New York?

PostPosted: 11/24/17 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The one place that has occurred to me is Louisville. They have a great arena, seem to want a WNBA team, have no other major league competition, the WNBA drew well there in a pre-season game, have supported their college women's team well and their college men's team is probably going to be facing severe sanctions for all the cheating that has been going on. WBB might be the "only game in town" for a while.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 11/24/17 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You’d figure Tina would not be going to Louisville. Piph has made good bank playing in Russia. She might not want to go either. Something to consider.

PostPosted: 11/24/17 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You wonder if Charles would play anywhere else. Should the team move, it could be Deanna Nolan all over again.

PostPosted: 11/24/17 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

as far as the Tina comments.....speaking as a long time CT SUN fan, it would be poetic justice.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/24/17 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does seem to suggest the value of any WNBA franchise is limited since you have no assurance of getting any of the star players if you move the team.

blaase22

PostPosted: 11/25/17 5:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
You wonder if Charles would play anywhere else. Should the team move, it could be Deanna Nolan all over again.

But Nolan had won it all already in the W.
I know Tina doesn't need the W salary but I'd personally hate it if the league lost Tina.

Hope this doesn't sound bad to the dear passionate Liberty fans but IF there is no Liberty team in NYC next season , come win a champ with the Lynx Tina, then whalen/brunson can retire finally winning back to back Surprised

Shades

PostPosted: 11/25/17 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's kind of a silly notion. Being in New York City wasn't the chief motivating factor for Charles leaving Connecticut. In fact, she showed interest in playing for the Sparks at the time. It just turned out that the Liberty were a more realistic possibility.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 11/25/17 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

Hope this doesn't sound bad to the dear passionate Liberty fans but IF there is no Liberty team in NYC next season , come win a champ with the Lynx Tina, then whalen/brunson can retire finally winning back to back Surprised

Assuming the team moves, Charles is a UFA but still core-able. Minnesota doesn't have the pieces to trade for her, and I don't see Tina insisting on Minnesota like Fowles did. She'd be better off joining an up and coming team like Chicago, which already has three all-star caliber players as well as two lottery picks useable as trade bait.

On the other hand, if the Liberty were to fold, there would probably be a dispersal draft. Tina would end up in Las Vegas back with Laimbeer. Charles and A'ja Wilson as your post tandem with Harrison and Alexander backing up looks pretty darn good.

PostPosted: 11/25/17 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Assuming the team moves, Charles is a UFA but still core-able. Minnesota doesn't have the pieces to trade for her, and I don't see Tina insisting on Minnesota like Fowles did. She'd be better off joining an up and coming team like Chicago, which already has three all-star caliber players as well as two lottery picks useable as trade bait.

On the other hand, if the Liberty were to fold, there would probably be a dispersal draft. Tina would end up in Las Vegas back with Laimbeer. Charles and A'ja Wilson as your post tandem with Harrison and Alexander backing up looks pretty darn good.

You Cant Core an UFA, Can you ?

PostPosted: 11/25/17 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

You Cant Core an UFA, Can you ?

It's the only thing you can core.

I think Charles is too smart to demand to go to CHI. That team has been a revolving door for a reason, and it hasn't stopped revolving with Stocks at the helm.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/25/17 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think Tina would want to go to a title contender. Minnesota? Though a team with Fowles, Brunson and Charles up front just wouldn't be fair. Los Angeles? Sparks go big with Parker at SF. Or Phoenix with her and Griner up front. Only East team would be Connecticut or Chicago, but I don't see her heading to either one of those.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 11/25/17 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I would think Tina would want to go to a title contender. Minnesota? Though a team with Fowles, Brunson and Charles up front just wouldn't be fair. Los Angeles? Sparks go big with Parker at SF. Or Phoenix with her and Griner up front. Only East team would be Connecticut or Chicago, but I don't see her heading to either one of those.

She’s probably want to go to Washington since she played for Thibault in the past and seemed to like him well enough. But if she goes anywhere, it’s Vegas with Laimbeer.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 11/25/17 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Charles makes practically every team a title contender...

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 11/25/17 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It's kind of a silly notion. Being in New York City wasn't the chief motivating factor for Charles leaving Connecticut. In fact, she showed interest in playing for the Sparks at the time. It just turned out that the Liberty were a more realistic possibility.

I don’t know where you got that from. Charles wanted and ONLY wanted to play in NYC. She said so herself saying she wanted to play at the Garden because it was her dream since childhood and also that she hated the commute between CT and NYC and also becasue her family would be able to see her play all the time, which they didn’t do very often in CT because of the long and very stressful drive. She didn’t show any interest in playing for the Sparks either. It was never mentioned anywhere.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 11/25/17 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
toad455 wrote:

How? Since she’s been in the WNBA, she’s never once been to a WNBA finals, usually getting booted out in the first round, and single elimination game. To be a title contender, one has to at least make it to a WNBA Finals or at least past the first round/game. She doesn’t and has never made every team she’s been on in the WNBA a title contender since leaving Uconn.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/25/17 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
toad455 wrote:

How? Since she’s been in the WNBA, she’s never once been to a WNBA finals, usually getting booted out in the first round, and single elimination game. To be a title contender, one has to at least make it to a WNBA Finals or at least past the first round/game. She doesn’t and has never made every team she’s been on in the WNBA a title contender since leaving Uconn.

This ____________X . Add Charles to the Sparks and Minny starts to shake in there boots lol

PostPosted: 11/25/17 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Charles is an MVP-caliber player, and will most likely be one for a while. The main issue with the teams she’s been on is the fact that she usually has to do everything by herself, she’s never had a solid #2. Even with doing the heavy lifting every year, for the majority of her time in NY she’s been on top-4 teams. She has the individual talent to elevate up and coming teams into title contention, and can maintain a contending teams’ status at the top. Even adding her to a “bottom feeding” team like Vegas makes them look scarier right off the bat. She’d make every team considerably better, and I’m sure every team in the league would bite at the oppurtunity to land her, WNBA Finals appearance or not.

Last edited by TotalCardinalMove on 11/25/17 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 11/25/17 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
toad455 wrote:

This ____________X . Add Charles to the Sparks and Minny starts to shake in there boots lol

Heck, I'm shaking in my boots if they add a healthy Tolo and draft well.

And the thought of that Chiney Ogwumike for Lavender and a piece trade proposal might have me trembling a little bit.

I'm a bit nervous about what Dallas could do with Cambage. SpaceJunkie will be the only cool, calm, and collective Lynx fan in these parts.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/25/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Heck, I'm shaking in my boots if they add a healthy Tolo and draft well.

And the thought of that Chiney Ogwumike for Lavender and a piece trade proposal might have me trembling a little bit.

I'm a bit nervous about what Dallas could do with Cambage. SpaceJunkie will be the only cool, calm, and collective Lynx fan in these parts.

Ikr , the Chiney for Lavender trade does have me a bit nervous , but the Dallas wings have me Eager with an exception of what Cambage did to Mistie though . Im excited for next summer we should be very very very good ! #WFFL

PostPosted: 11/25/17 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Shades wrote:

I don’t know where you got that from. Charles wanted and ONLY wanted to play in NYC. She said so herself saying she wanted to play at the Garden because it was her dream since childhood and also that she hated the commute between CT and NYC and also becasue her family would be able to see her play all the time, which they didn’t do very often in CT because of the long and very stressful drive. She didn’t show any interest in playing for the Sparks either. It was never mentioned anywhere.

I thought you were just throwing karma shade at Charles for leaving CON. You sound very understanding of all this stuff she said after the NY deal was done. Very odd.

You're a relative newby (under this name) so you probably can't remember Charles showing her discontent with CON through twitter. She was quite Trump-like Smile . I seem to recall she was overseas teammates with Toliver at the time.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=78414&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/25/17 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Shades wrote:

I thought you were just throwing karma shade at Charles for leaving CON. You sound very understanding of all this stuff she said after the NY deal was done. Very odd.

You're a relative newby (under this name) so you probably can't remember Charles showing her discontent with CON through twitter. She was quite Trump-like Smile . I seem to recall she was overseas teammates with Toliver at the time.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=78414&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Boo-Yah ! Exclamation Exclamation

PostPosted: 11/25/17 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

As a UFA, if the Liberty were to fold, I doubt she'd be part of a Dispersal Draft. I'd expect her to become a legitimately unrestricted free agent, because there technically wouldn't be an 'existing' team to core her. But it's something of a grey area the League could rule either way (given that for the most recent Expansion Draft the team could claim a UFA and insta-core her).

PostPosted: 11/25/17 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Shades wrote:

Yes I was throwing shade at Charles for leaving CT, but not really because she left, it was HOW she left. Saying she’d stay if she got some help on the roster, which she did. And then at the last minute, she still got pissy and left. It was never about the roster. She always wanted to be in NY, even when she was coached by Thibault in CT. When he was fired, and replaced by Donovan was when she started being discontent with CT on twitter. Donovan was just the final nail in the coffin in terms of her staying with CT. It’s very very highly unlikely she would have stayed had Thibault still been coaching her in CT. Sure I am kinda new here, and I’ve only had this name so I have no idea what your talking about.

Who cares anyways, Tina Charles isn’t a part of my favorite team anymore. She wanted to always be a Liberty player at MSG her entire left. I could careless where she ends up to be honest.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 11/25/17 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Shades wrote:

Oh, and “I guess I’ll be living in LA now” doesn’t mean she thought she was going to play for the Sparks or that she WANTED to play for the Sparks. Who knows, maybe there was a trade talk about Nneka to CT for Charles to bring both Ogwumike’s to CT. So, whatever...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: