RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

A'ja Wilson's height
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 11/18/17 1:58 am    ::: A'ja Wilson's height Reply Reply with quote

She was listed 6'4" at 18 for USA Basketball. South Carolina lists her 6'5". It looks like South Carolina is giving her a Zahui-bump, unless she grew in college. Although you can draw different conclusions depending on which players and their listed heights you compare her to in this picture. She's standing between a listed 6'7" and a listed 6'4". But Turner at the end on the left is listed 6'3 and next to her is 6'4" listed Mompremier. At the other end is 6'1" listed Collier.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/18/17 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on this pic, I'd call her 6-3.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 11/18/17 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I think it's the general consensus that heights get fudged more often than not. General rule of thumb is add two inches from height without shoes.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 11/18/17 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I think it's the general consensus that heights get fudged more often than not. General rule of thumb is add two inches from height without shoes. Anyone who thinks that Morgan William from MSU is really 5'4" is dreaming

willtalk

PostPosted: 11/18/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The height at the top of someones head means little in basketball. They should measure the height of a persons reach. I remember asking a guy who was two inches shorter than I but still was the best rb'er on our team. He asked me to hold up my arm as high as I could and his reach exceeded mine by quite a bit ( and I have long arms). His reach even exceeded a guy who was 5 inches taller than he was. Of course this guy was a freak but it makes a point. Kevin McHale was just listed as 6'11" but he was unstoppable in the paint. That was because he had the reach of a player that was 7'2". Also if you look at him you would have noticed he had a very short neck, which would have meant his shoulders were higher on him than a normal 6'11" player. Add longer arms and you have a player who's playing height is actually taller than his listed height.

A taller player with a long neck and alligator arms height would be deceptive. I would add that few players block shorts, rebound or shoot with the top of their heads.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/18/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well heck if we are going to get that technical, maybe we should measure the size of their heart Wink

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/18/17 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Kara Lawson was listed at 5'11 when she played at Tennessee. My friend who accompanied me to most of the games said she figured Kara must have been measured while wearing high heels Very Happy I think she's closer to 5'8 or maybe 5'9 but she definitely played with a huge heart!

PostPosted: 11/18/17 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I think Kara Lawson was listed at 5'11 when she played at Tennessee. My friend who accompanied me to most of the games said she figured Kara must have been measured while wearing high heels Very Happy I think she's closer to 5'8 or maybe 5'9 but she definitely played with a huge heart!

She was listed as 5'9 or 5'10 until her senior year, when Tennessee wanted her to be eligible for the Frances Pomeroy Naismith award (for players 5'8 and under).

PostPosted: 11/18/17 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the old saying applies here: "It ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog".

Nneka is 6'2". She's consistently outplayed many larger posts in her day. Courtney Paris *listed* at 6'4". I don't think she's any more than 6'2", but she holds the NCAA record in double-doubles.

What's an inch or 2 matter, when there's other factors such as reach and jumping ability!?

PostPosted: 11/18/17 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

How tall is she based on this picture?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 11/18/17 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

LaChina Robinson was listed at 6'4

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/lachina_robinson_19072.html

PostPosted: 11/18/17 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
The height at the top of someones head means little in basketball. They should measure the height of a persons reach. I remember asking a guy who was two inches shorter than I but still was the best rb'er on our team. He asked me to hold up my arm as high as I could and his reach exceeded mine by quite a bit ( and I have long arms). His reach even exceeded a guy who was 5 inches taller than he was. Of course this guy was a freak but it makes a point. Kevin McHale was just listed as 6'11" but he was unstoppable in the paint. That was because he had the reach of a player that was 7'2". Also if you look at him you would have noticed he had a very short neck, which would have meant his shoulders were higher on him than a normal 6'11" player. Add longer arms and you have a player who's playing height is actually taller than his listed height.

A taller player with a long neck and alligator arms height would be deceptive. I would add that few players block shorts, rebound or shoot with the top of their heads.

I agree. The roster should show "standing reach" and "wingspan", not height. Although they would increase those from their actual values as well.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/18/17 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

That depends on how tall LaChina Robinson is compared to the 6'-4.125" Candace Parker

the 6'-3.5" Breanna Stewart

and the 6'-3" Sue Wicks.

Actually, the issue isn't how tall these players are, but the identity of the secret society of height liars who have been fibbing about player heights since the year 1896.875 at Smith College. Who are these perjurers, who's funding them, and what is their corrupt worldwide agenda?
tfan

PostPosted: 11/18/17 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The other issue is that when LaChina is in a dress as she is with Parker and Wicks, she is probably (but not necessarily) wearing high heels, while she's wearing flip-flops with Wilson.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 11/18/17 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure about her height, but A'ja Wilson's plays like a seven footer.

tfan

PostPosted: 11/18/17 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Actually, the issue isn't how tall these players are, but the identity of the secret society of height liars who have been fibbing about player heights since the year 1896.875 at Smith College. Who are these perjurers, who's funding them, and what is their corrupt worldwide agenda?

I noticed that the "roster height" remains intact even after the NBA combine reveals the lie. For example, Stephan Curry was listed 6'3" in college. At the NBA combine they measured him as 6'1.5"/6.2" (have seen both reported). In the NBA he is listed as 6'3".

tfan

PostPosted: 11/19/17 2:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LaChina and 6'3" listed Isabelle Harrison

With 6'5" listed Elena Delle Donne

With 5'11" Alena Beard

With 6'4" listed Tina Charles

With 6'1" listed Tamika Catchings

Wirh 5'11"listed Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/19/17 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All those comparison pictures are meaningless because you can't see their footwear.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/19/17 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HAHAHAHA this is so funny I think there are a few who tell the truth and then the obvious taletellers like Wilson et al which usually comes along with other tales like being a guard Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 11/19/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
All those comparison pictures are meaningless because you can't see their footwear.

I brought the only useful picture to the table.... and it was from this summer.
Wilson is even slouching slightly in that picture, so even if you think LaChina Robinson is actually only 6'2, that puts Wilson at 6'4-6'5. Her combination of height, bulk, and skillset makes her the best pro prospect from this senior class.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/19/17 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

It's not only that but also the lens, the lens-to-subject distance. and the camera angle. Subjects even slightly closer to a wide angle lens will look bigger than subjects slightly more distant. An upward camera angle can exaggerate this. See how much bigger Wilson's head looks than Robinson's, or Robinson's than Beard's, or Prince's than Charles's.

The most accurate picture in my opinion is the 2014 roster picture in the OP. We can't know anyone's absolute height, but the relative heights should be pretty accurate. Wilson could also have grown since that picture.

Here's Wilson on the USAB roster in 2013, seemingly shorter than Agee and Stewart but taller than Turner, and 2015, clearly shorter than Stevens, Anigwe and Cox.
tfan

PostPosted: 11/19/17 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here she is about three weeks short of her 17th birthday in July 2013:

Between 6'3" listed Turner and 6'6" listed Candice Agee. On right 6'4" listed Stewart and 6'2" listed Tuck. On left 6'2" listed Bashaara Graves.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 11/19/17 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if the woman is not 6 feet 5 inches tall then Big Bill should not draft her but draft Diamond DeShields. DD the best player of the 2018 draft. Yeah! Laughing

PostPosted: 11/19/17 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll repost the 2015 U19 lineup as an inline photo. This was when Wilson was about 19, and she's clearly shorter than Stevens, Anigwe and Cox.

I'm not saying anything about her draft status, just that I don't believe she's 6-5 or probably even a solid 6-4. She's the favorite with Mitchell for college POY this season, and will go first in my opinion in the draft unless Bill for some reason is dying for a scoring guard in Mitchell.
tfan

PostPosted: 11/19/17 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I'll repost the 2015 U19 lineup as an inline photo. This was when Wilson was about 19, and she's clearly shorter than Stevens, Anigwe and Cox.

I'm not saying anything about her draft status, just that I don't believe she's 6-5 or probably even a solid 6-4. She's the favorite with Mitchell for college POY this season, and will go first in my opinion in the draft unless Bill for some reason is dying for a scoring guard in Mitchell.

They took an inch off Wilson in their roster listing from what they had the two previous years - she's listed 6'3" in 2015:

https://www.usab.com/history/u19-womens/eleventh-fiba-womens-u19-world-championship-2015.aspx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: