RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Al Franken
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 9282
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus. If u were in my safe space, you'd have to be f'd up


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/21/17 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Really, Franken should resign?

Get a grip on reality. There is no comparison between fuckers like Moore, Trump, Spacey, and Weinstein, to Franken.

And fuck the Democrats if they cave here.

Totally agree. There's no comparison with Franken to any of these other guys you mentioned. The other guys have allegations whereas Franken's accusers have photographic evidence.

I agree with your other point too. Don't cave. Stay in there! In fact, he should not only stay on as senator, but he should run for re-election too. It would be the gift that keeps on giving!



Are you Sarah Huckleberry Sanders? You're similarly deceitful and make as much sense.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
scullyfu



Joined: 01 Jan 2006
Posts: 8490
Location: Niagara Falls


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/22/17 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

a little more about Leeann Tweedem. seems she was pushing the Breitbart & Hannity attack against Shirley Sherrod, remember her?

one word to the dems: GROW A SPINE & STOP KNEE-JERK CAVING!

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/11/20/1716849/-I-Unapologetically-Stand-With-Senator-Franken-Do-NOT-Believe-Either-Accuser



_________________
i'll always bleed Storm green.
Stonington_QB



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 307
Location: Your safe space


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/22/17 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're a lot more believable than the idiot who accused the President of lifting up the armrest on the plane and "octopussing" her.


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14008
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/22/17 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Really, Franken should resign?

Get a grip on reality. There is no comparison between fuckers like Moore, Trump, Spacey, and Weinstein, to Franken.

And fuck the Democrats if they cave here.

Totally agree. There's no comparison with Franken to any of these other guys you mentioned. The other guys have allegations whereas Franken's accusers have photographic evidence.

I agree with your other point too. Don't cave. Stay in there! In fact, he should not only stay on as senator, but he should run for re-election too. It would be the gift that keeps on giving!



Are you Sarah Huckleberry Sanders? You're similarly deceitful and make as much sense.


Isn't MAGA-Land a fascinating place?


justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 6614
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/22/17 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Really, Franken should resign?

Get a grip on reality. There is no comparison between fuckers like Moore, Trump, Spacey, and Weinstein, to Franken.

And fuck the Democrats if they cave here.

Totally agree. There's no comparison with Franken to any of these other guys you mentioned. The other guys have allegations whereas Franken's accusers have photographic evidence.

I agree with your other point too. Don't cave. Stay in there! In fact, he should not only stay on as senator, but he should run for re-election too. It would be the gift that keeps on giving!



Are you Sarah Huckleberry Sanders? You're similarly deceitful and make as much sense.


Isn't MAGA-Land a fascinating place?

It's like Mirror World Disneyland.

Wait...is that what happened? Are we actually the Mirror World? Is Kirk going to have a transporter malfunction and show up....here?

Makes sense now. Look out for Evil Spock with the magnificent facial hair.



_________________
Covfefe when the walls fell.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55285
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/22/17 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Wait...is that what happened? Are we actually the Mirror World? Is Kirk going to have a transporter malfunction and show up....here?


Yeah, it happened sometime after the Reagan administration. In the 80's it was the liberals saying "Why can't we just get along with the Russians?" and the conservatives saying "It's not that simple." Now it's the other way around.



_________________
He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the foreigner residing among you, giving them food and clothing. And you are to love those who are foreigners, for you yourselves were foreigners
Stonington_QB



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 307
Location: Your safe space


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/22/17 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No. I actually WANT Franken to stay on and run for re-election. That way, when he loses, it will be another lost seat for the fringe left in the U.S. Senate. I figured some of you would have been bright enough to make that connection. I guess not!


jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 19352



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/22/17 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
a little more about Leeann Tweedem. seems she was pushing the Breitbart & Hannity attack against Shirley Sherrod, remember her?

one word to the dems: GROW A SPINE & STOP KNEE-JERK CAVING!

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/11/20/1716849/-I-Unapologetically-Stand-With-Senator-Franken-Do-NOT-Believe-Either-Accuser


There are two websites that I just don't understand on an even mechanical basis. One is Breitbart and long before Breitbart there was and is the Daily Kos. I seriously don't know how this thing works when a person who writes the following actually is published and widely read.

Good lord, lets use our brains here! I have BEEN on the receiving end of a hashtag witch-hunt and had my life completely destroyed because of it—a life I never got back

I DO NOT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT LEEANN TWEEDEN MUCH LESS THE RANDOM WOMAN.

There is the whitish woman who has spent her life making the world an uglier place for black and multiracial peoples The whitish women

Hannity.... his favorite tactic is so redundant as to be predictable: he throws out race-bait, sits back with his 2-inch erection and enjoys the white hysteria he created.


Shocked

In reverse order.

Yeah, the two-incher. I kind of checked out long before this but... this was too good and typical of what has become of far left discourse.

Tweeden is half Filipino and thus multi-racial.

The Random Woman? Sounds like someone in the Zapruder Film.

And I say this as someone who ultimately hopes Al Franken survives this only because there doesn't seem to be any evidence proving the French kiss and yet it has been proven that Tweeden is a political partisan.

But there is NO hope for this country when you have this kind of shit passing as discourse. It's depressing.


justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 6614
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/22/17 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/al-franken-two-more-women-groping_us_5a15a455e4b09650540ec295

Yep. He needs to go. The pattern is there.



_________________
Covfefe when the walls fell.
jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 19352



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/22/17 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sweet Jesus.


jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 19352



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/27/17 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

“I don’t remember these photographs, I don’t,” he said. “This is not something I would intentionally do.”

Also, "Those are incidences that I don't remember."

All of this is from his most recent statements. So there are multiple women, some from his own party, women who identify themselves as feminists, with the same story, that of having their butt cheeks grabbed during the taking of photographs. And those women either contemporaneously described the experience to friends or, as the Huff Post article puts it, have been telling the stories for years.

This is, in essence, why Franken, very sadly, has to go. Because he claims to not remember. Not remember grabbing the buttocks of young attractive women. So it's not, at this point, IMO, justifiable to maintain that these women aren't telling the truth. They don't know each other, they are coming from different places ideologically. So the question is then, is it believable that Franken doesn't recall grabbing their asses? I would suggest that, speaking as a man, that it is not believable. If I had, uninvited et al, grabbed just one young women's ass in the last oh, I don't know, 60 years, I would remember.

If I made a habit of it? Oh, that would be a very different memory altogether. It would be, as any honest not-virtue signalling male might admit, My Special Little Treat. As I'm sure it was for Al Franken. And yeah, I might not remember every one of them, because there were so many, but I would remember the behavior. Very well. Because, as I said, it would be My Special Little Treat. So Al's claiming that he does't recall grabbing these women's asses? It just doesn't have that ring of truth.

And here is the worst part. Remember Trump's Access Hollywood open mic debacle. You grab 'em by the pussy. They let you do it! Because you're a celebrity. Something like that. Well, I'm sorry, that's exactly what Senator Al Franken was thinking. I'm fucking doing it! Not a problem I guess.


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 9282
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus. If u were in my safe space, you'd have to be f'd up


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/01/17 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Wait...is that what happened? Are we actually the Mirror World? Is Kirk going to have a transporter malfunction and show up....here?


Yeah, it happened sometime after the Reagan administration. In the 80's it was the liberals saying "Why can't we just get along with the Russians?" and the conservatives saying "It's not that simple." Now it's the other way around.



Yeah. Sorta like Republicans are the Party of Lincoln and the Democrats voted against Civil Rights legislation. Nothing at all has changed along the way to now. Razz



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
Genero36



Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Posts: 8591



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/06/17 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Report: Franken to resign
Quote:
Democrat Al Franken will resign from the U.S. Senate on Thursday, Minnesota Public Radio reported, after more than half of his Senate Democratic colleagues urged him to do so in light of sexual misconduct accusations.

Franken's office said in an email that no final decision had been made and that the senator was still discussing the issue with his family.

After the accusations began surfacing three weeks ago, Franken had said he would remain in office and work to regain the trust of voters in Minnesota, the state he represents.


https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/democrat-franken-to-resign-from-us-senate-radio-report/ar-BBGjuIt



_________________
I'm all for the separation of church and hate.
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 9282
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus. If u were in my safe space, you'd have to be f'd up


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/07/17 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lol. Will the Dems ever learn that being the party of conscience, by forcing the resignation of Franken while the Scumpublicans fully endorse the pussy grabber in the White House and the predator/anti-constitutionalist extremist Senate candidate Moore, et al, will never win an election or policy battle?

The power elite and their racist, nazi, and generally dupedplorable white lackeys win again.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6308
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/07/17 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What are the chances of Gov. Dayton replacing him with Keith Ellison?



_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14008
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/07/17 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
What are the chances of Gov. Dayton replacing him with Keith Ellison?


Slim to none.

I have read that it is likely to be Lt. Gov. Tina Smith.


justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 6614
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/07/17 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
The power elite and their racist, nazi, and generally dupedplorable white lackeys win again.

On the other hand it is able to defuse all that annoying "whataboutisms" that come up every time the GOP does something reprehensible (like supporting a child molester). When Trump was accused it was all about Bill Clinton, and that has been their go to move for years.

Even now every time Moore comes up they're bringing up Franken and Conyers with a "tu quoque" fallacy (an appeal to hypocrisy) as if other people's reprehensible behavior makes it acceptable to act reprehensibly.



_________________
Covfefe when the walls fell.
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12283



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/07/17 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Lol. Will the Dems ever learn that being the party of conscience, by forcing the resignation of Franken while the Scumpublicans fully endorse the pussy grabber in the White House and the predator/anti-constitutionalist extremist Senate candidate Moore, et al, will never win an election or policy battle?

The power elite and their racist, nazi, and generally dupedplorable white lackeys win again.


It's got nothing to do with "conscience" and everything to do with politics so they can continue to attack Moore and Trump.

If not for Moore, Conyers and Franken would still be employed.


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14008
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/07/17 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reading through comments on the stories from the Times, Kirsten Gillenbrand is being targeted with a lot of hate today.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 4293
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/07/17 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was hoping Franken would resist this McCarthyite, ancient history, often anonymously sourced, no due process, trial by newspaper/social media, lynch mob-ism that's gone over the top.
jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 19352



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/07/17 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nah, this is good. (The rest of this message has been deleted. Because it's that bad.)


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12283



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/07/17 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I was hoping Franken would resist this McCarthyite, ancient history, often anonymously sourced, no due process, trial by newspaper/social media, lynch mob-ism that's gone over the top.


That's not what it is. They're not unfairly assuming his guilt. It doesn't matter whether He's guilty or not. It's simply a matter of " you have to resign so you don't get thrown in our faces when we criticize Moore and Trump and the Republicans." He's sacrificing himself. It's unadulterated politics.


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5742



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/08/17 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Democrats saw Franken as a liability

Quote:
Feinstein said Trump’s comments about women on the Access Hollywood tape “really brought it to the fore.”

“To hear a man say those things and become president of the United States and all of his accusers are kind of banished to nowhere almost subconsciously in women has had a big effect,” she added.


Stonington_QB



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 307
Location: Your safe space


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/08/17 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Franken said that he is "going to" resign. That means it may not happen until sometime next year, if at all.


justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 6614
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/08/17 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Franken said that he is "going to" resign. That means it may not happen until sometime next year, if at all.

It means he is going through the process and getting things in order, while giving Dayton time to pick his replacement and have her ready to go.

Once everything is ready to go he will officially stand down. This is not abnormal.



_________________
Covfefe when the walls fell.
Stonington_QB



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 307
Location: Your safe space


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/08/17 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Franken said that he is "going to" resign. That means it may not happen until sometime next year, if at all.

It means he is going through the process and getting things in order, while giving Dayton time to pick his replacement and have her ready to go.

Once everything is ready to go he will officially stand down. This is not abnormal.

If that's what you're willing to believe then why not


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10802
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/08/17 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Franken said that he is "going to" resign. That means it may not happen until sometime next year, if at all.


Which, of course, is FAR more egregious than, say, a known child molester who is STILL RUNNING FOR OFFICE, so he can say he is "going to" resign later. [See: Moore]



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
Stonington_QB



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 307
Location: Your safe space


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/08/17 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Franken said that he is "going to" resign. That means it may not happen until sometime next year, if at all.


Which, of course, is FAR more egregious than, say, a known child molester who is STILL RUNNING FOR OFFICE, so he can say he is "going to" resign later. [See: Moore]

Really? A child molester? According to who? Vox? Newsweek? Al Jazeera? I must have missed it when they brought forward this evidence that anything of the sort ever happened. Except for said "news" outfits listed above making this claim, I'm still trying to find where there was a shred of proof of that. What I DID find, however, was a picture of Al Franken grabbing an unconscious women by her tits with a big smile on his face.


justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 6614
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/08/17 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Franken said that he is "going to" resign. That means it may not happen until sometime next year, if at all.

It means he is going through the process and getting things in order, while giving Dayton time to pick his replacement and have her ready to go.

Once everything is ready to go he will officially stand down. This is not abnormal.

If that's what you're willing to believe then why not

And when it happens you can see how stupid your claim here is. But that shouldn't be surpising since most of your claims are.

I am starting to think you are just one of Cernovich's troll bots.



_________________
Covfefe when the walls fell.
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12283



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/08/17 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Franken said that he is "going to" resign. That means it may not happen until sometime next year, if at all.

It means he is going through the process and getting things in order, while giving Dayton time to pick his replacement and have her ready to go.

Once everything is ready to go he will officially stand down. This is not abnormal.

If that's what you're willing to believe then why not

And when it happens you can see how stupid your claim here is. But that shouldn't be surpising since most of your claims are.

I am starting to think you are just one of Cernovich's bots.


That's giving him far too much credit. He's just an ordinary everyday internet troll, that's all.


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14008
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/08/17 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Franken said that he is "going to" resign. That means it may not happen until sometime next year, if at all.

It means he is going through the process and getting things in order, while giving Dayton time to pick his replacement and have her ready to go.

Once everything is ready to go he will officially stand down. This is not abnormal.

If that's what you're willing to believe then why not

And when it happens you can see how stupid your claim here is. But that shouldn't be surpising since most of your claims are.

I am starting to think you are just one of Cernovich's bots.


That's giving him far too much credit. He's just an ordinary everyday internet troll, that's all.


No. Just a normal, everyday Republican. This is what that party has become. This is its identity.


Stonington_QB



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 307
Location: Your safe space


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/08/17 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Franken said that he is "going to" resign. That means it may not happen until sometime next year, if at all.

It means he is going through the process and getting things in order, while giving Dayton time to pick his replacement and have her ready to go.

Once everything is ready to go he will officially stand down. This is not abnormal.

If that's what you're willing to believe then why not

And when it happens you can see how stupid your claim here is. But that shouldn't be surpising since most of your claims are.

I am starting to think you are just one of Cernovich's troll bots.

What claim am I making here?


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10802
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/08/17 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
....I'm still trying to find where there was a shred of proof of that. What I DID find, however, was a picture of Al Franken grabbing an unconscious women by her tits with a big smile on his face.


Why didn't you *find* that evidence on Donald, CLEARLY saying he grabbed women by the pussy, and jump on that in your ever-selective, First Class style?

Matty's got it right....it's a Republican Thing. We wouldn't get it.Cool

The women who SAID Roy did it is all I need, if you're good with Donald's word. Same validity, no?



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
Stonington_QB



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 307
Location: Your safe space


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/08/17 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
....I'm still trying to find where there was a shred of proof of that. What I DID find, however, was a picture of Al Franken grabbing an unconscious women by her tits with a big smile on his face.


Why didn't you *find* that evidence on Donald, CLEARLY saiyng he grabbed women by the pussy, and jump on that in your ever-selective, First Class style?

Matty's got it right....it's a Republican Thing. We wouldn't get it.Cool

The women who SAID Roy did it is all I need, if you're good with Donald's word. Same validity, no?

Your misinterpretation of a conversation doesn't excuse Al Franken from his morally repugnant behavior. But I'm glad you think that makes what Franken did OK.


calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 1898
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/08/17 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Reading through comments on the stories from the Times, Kirsten Gillenbrand is being targeted with a lot of hate today.


I believe that Gillibrand did a tremendous disservice to the country and to the cause of women. She said that trying to draw a line between types of improper behavior is the wrong discussion to have. That is saying that any transgression perpetrated by a man against a woman, no manner how minor or what the surrounding circumstances are, the appropriate penalty is the same. Whether it is rape, child molestation, exchanging sex for advancement at work, exposing yourself to a women or forcing a women to expose herself, forcefully grabbing a woman's genitals, rubbing up against a women, making specific sexual propositions to a subordinate, making specific sexual propositions to a coworker, making specific sexual propositions to an individual in a social setting, making lewd comments to a female subordinate or coworker, making lewd comments in a workplace to others, but within earshot of someone who might take offense, or randomly making a catcall to a pretty woman on the street. All of these might be considered offensive; they should not all be treated the same.

Being tough on crime doesn't mean 10 years in jail for speeding. Al Franken was forced to resign for what?

1) Kissing a women and taking an inappropriate picture more than 10 years ago for which he apologized both publicly and privately, and had that apology accepted by the offended party;

2) Grasping a handful of women's buttocks while taking pictures, for which he apologized, but which seemingly none of the women thought to mention to him at the time;

3) Trying to force himself upon an anonymous women who said that he said, "It's my right as an entertainer." He denies that allegation.

Making someone resign over those allegations doesn't make the Democratic party look tough on improper activity by men toward women; it makes them look intolerant of men in general. It was right to call out Franken for his improprieties, not to kick him out.




Last edited by calbearman76 on 12/09/17 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 17827



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/08/17 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Reading through comments on the stories from the Times, Kirsten Gillenbrand is being targeted with a lot of hate today.


I believe that Gillibrand did a tremendous disservice to the country and to the cause of women. She said that trying to draw a line between types of improper behavior is the wrong discussion to have. That is saying that any transgression perpetrated by a man against a woman, no manner how minor or what the surrounding circumstances are, the appropriate penalty is the same. Whether it is rape, child molestation, exchanging sex for advancement at work, exposing yourself to a women or forcing a women to expose herself, forcefully grabbing a woman's genitals, rubbing up against a women, making specific sexual propositions to a subordinate, making specific sexual propositions to a coworker, making specific sexual propositions to an individual in a social setting, making lewd comments to a female subordinate or coworker, making lewd comments in a workplace to others, but within earshot of someone who might take offense, or randomly making a catcall to a pretty woman on the street. All of these might be considered offensive; they should not all be treated the same.

Being tough on crime doesn't mean 10 tears in jail for speeding. Al Franken was forced to resign for what?

1) Kissing a women and taking an inappropriate picture more than 10 years ago for which he apologized both publicly and privately, and had that apology accepted by the offended party;

2) Grasping a handful of women's buttocks while taking pictures, for which he apologized, but which seemingly none of the women thought to mention to him at the time;

3) Trying to force himself upon an anonymous women who said that he said, "It's my right as an entertainer." He denies that allegation.

Making someone resign over those allegations doesn't make the Democratic party look tough on improper activity by men toward women; it makes them look intolerant of men in general. It was right to call out Franken for his improprieties, not to kick him out.


Jesus Christ.

No. It's drawing a line in the sand. That's some disrespectful shit, and the Democratic Party is supposed to be a party that supports women.

Now, obviously, there's political reasons for this decision too. But putting the line in the sand is necessary..

And of Course she's getting "hate." She's got an opinion that didn't fit in with the boys club.



_________________
TALENT

What it takes to play a gay pirate, a gay candymaker, and a gay mad hatter, and still land a role as John Dilinger.
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12283



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/08/17 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Reading through comments on the stories from the Times, Kirsten Gillenbrand is being targeted with a lot of hate today.


I believe that Gillibrand did a tremendous disservice to the country and to the cause of women. She said that trying to draw a line between types of improper behavior is the wrong discussion to have. That is saying that any transgression perpetrated by a man against a woman, no manner how minor or what the surrounding circumstances are, the appropriate penalty is the same. Whether it is rape, child molestation, exchanging sex for advancement at work, exposing yourself to a women or forcing a women to expose herself, forcefully grabbing a woman's genitals, rubbing up against a women, making specific sexual propositions to a subordinate, making specific sexual propositions to a coworker, making specific sexual propositions to an individual in a social setting, making lewd comments to a female subordinate or coworker, making lewd comments in a workplace to others, but within earshot of someone who might take offense, or randomly making a catcall to a pretty woman on the street. All of these might be considered offensive; they should not all be treated the same.

Being tough on crime doesn't mean 10 tears in jail for speeding. Al Franken was forced to resign for what?

1) Kissing a women and taking an inappropriate picture more than 10 years ago for which he apologized both publicly and privately, and had that apology accepted by the offended party;

2) Grasping a handful of women's buttocks while taking pictures, for which he apologized, but which seemingly none of the women thought to mention to him at the time;

3) Trying to force himself upon an anonymous women who said that he said, "It's my right as an entertainer." He denies that allegation.

Making someone resign over those allegations doesn't make the Democratic party look tough on improper activity by men toward women; it makes them look intolerant of men in general. It was right to call out Franken for his improprieties, not to kick him out.


For what? To make it easier to beat up on the Republicans. That's what. Gillebrand doesn't care about any of the rest of that.

It's politics of the most crass kind. Franken had to take one for the team. He was in the way, so he had to go. That's all. Don't even try to extract some principle from it. There was nothing principled about it.


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 6773



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/09/17 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you are right - Franken is going down to make it a whole lot easier to try to expel Moore when the time comes. Assuming all the Dems vote to expel, it would take far less than half the GOP senators to kick him out and many have already said he was unfit. It will be a huge embarrassment for the GOP when most of those guys have to make an about face. Like I said earlier - politicians are a commodity. No need to keep damaged goods around. Franken can easily be replaced.



_________________
The fault...lies not not in our stars but in ourselves that we are losers.
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14008
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/09/17 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I think you are right - Franken is going down to make it a whole lot easier to try to expel Moore when the time comes. Assuming all the Dems vote to expel, it would take far less than half the GOP senators to kick him out and many have already said he was unfit. It will be a huge embarrassment for the GOP when most of those guys have to make an about face. Like I said earlier - politicians are a commodity. No need to keep damaged goods around. Franken can easily be replaced.


Moore won't be expelled. There is zero chance.

Mitch McConnell would have to bring it up for a vote, and there is no way he will do that.


justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 6614
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/09/17 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Randy wrote:
I think you are right - Franken is going down to make it a whole lot easier to try to expel Moore when the time comes. Assuming all the Dems vote to expel, it would take far less than half the GOP senators to kick him out and many have already said he was unfit. It will be a huge embarrassment for the GOP when most of those guys have to make an about face. Like I said earlier - politicians are a commodity. No need to keep damaged goods around. Franken can easily be replaced.


Moore won't be expelled. There is zero chance.

Mitch McConnell would have to bring it up for a vote, and there is no way he will do that.

He might. It all depends on the political calculations at the time (as terrible as that is for being the reason to expell a child molester). If his presence hurts The Party's chances going forward they might actually vote.



_________________
Covfefe when the walls fell.
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10802
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/09/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Randy wrote:
I think you are right - Franken is going down to make it a whole lot easier to try to expel Moore when the time comes. Assuming all the Dems vote to expel, it would take far less than half the GOP senators to kick him out and many have already said he was unfit. It will be a huge embarrassment for the GOP when most of those guys have to make an about face. Like I said earlier - politicians are a commodity. No need to keep damaged goods around. Franken can easily be replaced.


Moore won't be expelled. There is zero chance.

Mitch McConnell would have to bring it up for a vote, and there is no way he will do that.

He might. It all depends on the political calculations at the time (as terrible as that is for being the reason to expell a child molester). If his presence hurts The Party's chances going forward they might actually vote.


The travesty that put T-Rump into office is proof that ANY-FUCKING-THING can happen. And will, eventually. Shocked Laughing



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 6773



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/09/17 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So do you suppose that at some point during a Senate hearing the Chair will say "The Chair now recognizes the pedophile from Alabama"?



_________________
The fault...lies not not in our stars but in ourselves that we are losers.
scullyfu



Joined: 01 Jan 2006
Posts: 8490
Location: Niagara Falls


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/09/17 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Franken said that he is "going to" resign. That means it may not happen until sometime next year, if at all.

It means he is going through the process and getting things in order, while giving Dayton time to pick his replacement and have her ready to go.

Once everything is ready to go he will officially stand down. This is not abnormal.

If that's what you're willing to believe then why not

And when it happens you can see how stupid your claim here is. But that shouldn't be surpising since most of your claims are.

I am starting to think you are just one of Cernovich's bots.




That's giving him far too much credit. He's just an ordinary everyday internet troll, that's all.


more like a dangerous white supremist who advocates rape culture.



_________________
i'll always bleed Storm green.
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14008
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/09/17 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Franken said that he is "going to" resign. That means it may not happen until sometime next year, if at all.

It means he is going through the process and getting things in order, while giving Dayton time to pick his replacement and have her ready to go.

Once everything is ready to go he will officially stand down. This is not abnormal.

If that's what you're willing to believe then why not

And when it happens you can see how stupid your claim here is. But that shouldn't be surpising since most of your claims are.

I am starting to think you are just one of Cernovich's bots.




That's giving him far too much credit. He's just an ordinary everyday internet troll, that's all.


more like a dangerous white supremist who advocates rape culture.


Right. Today's Republican party.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 4293
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/09/17 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Franken wouldn't be resigning, and no Democrat would be asking him to, if the governor of Minnesota were a Republican.

If he's not guilty of something significantly out of the norm for a politician, it's idiotic for Franken to sacrifice his career and reputation just because his hypocritical Senate colleagues have a fantasy that his resignation will advantage them in some political way. It will not affect the Alabama election. If Moore wins, it will not affect the outcome of a later Senate Ethics Committee investigation of Moore, in the unlikely event one is held. It will not affect Trump. And it will not give the Democrats any advantage in the Senate, because none of them vote for any Republican legislation anyway and almost none of them vote for any Trump appointee. How much more obstructionist could they be.

On the other hand, if Franken is provably guilty of something serious and he knows it, he should resign regardless of politics.
scullyfu



Joined: 01 Jan 2006
Posts: 8490
Location: Niagara Falls


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/10/17 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Franken wouldn't be resigning, and no Democrat would be asking him to, if the governor of Minnesota were a Republican.

If he's not guilty of something significantly out of the norm for a politician, it's idiotic for Franken to sacrifice his career and reputation just because his hypocritical Senate colleagues have a fantasy that his resignation will advantage them in some political way. It will not affect the Alabama election. If Moore wins, it will not affect the outcome of a later Senate Ethics Committee investigation of Moore, in the unlikely event one is held. It will not affect Trump. And it will not give the Democrats any advantage in the Senate, because none of them vote for any Republican legislation anyway and almost none of them vote for any Trump appointee. How much more obstructionist could they be.

On the other hand, if Franken is provably guilty of something serious and he knows it, he should resign regardless of politics.


well, you should know what obstructionism looks like since your repugs have been practicing it since the days of Gingrich. for a more recent example, just look at all the Obama years for Exhibit A.



_________________
i'll always bleed Storm green.
Stonington_QB



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 307
Location: Your safe space


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/11/17 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
more like a dangerous white supremist who advocates rape culture.

Accuses me of being a white supremacist who advocates rape culture...

scullyfu wrote:
well, you should know what obstructionism looks like since your repugs have been practicing it since the days of Gingrich. for a more recent example, just look at all the Obama years for Exhibit A.

...then goes and steps up to bat for Al Franken.


scullyfu



Joined: 01 Jan 2006
Posts: 8490
Location: Niagara Falls


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/11/17 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
more like a dangerous white supremist who advocates rape culture.

Accuses me of being a white supremacist who advocates rape culture...

scullyfu wrote:
well, you should know what obstructionism looks like since your repugs have been practicing it since the days of Gingrich. for a more recent example, just look at all the Obama years for Exhibit A.

...then goes and steps up to bat for Al Franken.


I was referring to Cernovich. i apologize for any confusion that some may have had with that comment; it was in no way meant to be directed at Stonington. if you're familiar with Cernovich, you'd understand the reference.

as for the other, WTF are you even talking about? what does obstructionism by the repugs have to do with Franken? and oh btw, didn't you say this in this thread, referring to Franken:

I agree with your other point too. Don't cave. Stay in there! In fact, he should not only stay on as senator, but he should run for re-election too. It would be the gift that keeps on giving!


so, if you agree with me that Franken should stay, what's the prob?



_________________
i'll always bleed Storm green.
Stonington_QB



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 307
Location: Your safe space


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/11/17 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
more like a dangerous white supremist who advocates rape culture.

Accuses me of being a white supremacist who advocates rape culture...

scullyfu wrote:
well, you should know what obstructionism looks like since your repugs have been practicing it since the days of Gingrich. for a more recent example, just look at all the Obama years for Exhibit A.

...then goes and steps up to bat for Al Franken.


I was referring to Cernovich. i apologize for any confusion that some may have had with that comment; it was in no way meant to be directed at Stonington. if you're familiar with Cernovich, you'd understand the reference.

as for the other, WTF are you even talking about? what does obstructionism by the repugs have to do with Franken? and oh btw, didn't you say this in this thread, referring to Franken:

I agree with your other point too. Don't cave. Stay in there! In fact, he should not only stay on as senator, but he should run for re-election too. It would be the gift that keeps on giving!


so, if you agree with me that Franken should stay, what's the prob?

That is my mistake. I do apologize for that.

Yes, I do agree that Franken should stay. The ONLY reason people are calling for his resignation is to obtain the "moral high ground" for political purposes.


Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 17844



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/11/17 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ughh ... there's nothing worse than moral standards, amirite?



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin