RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

If The Liberty Moved To Barclay's.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

If The Liberty Moved to Barclay Center Would You Go There?
Yes and buy Season Tickets.
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
Yes but game by game.
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
No. Too Far to travel.
40%
 40%  [ 10 ]
No MSG or Nothing.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 25

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 11/18/17 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point I am just hoping for anything. I want Katie Smith to have a team and a home to coach in, as I think she will be great for the game.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/18/17 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
At this point I am just hoping for anything. I want Katie Smith to have a team and a home to coach in, as I think she will be great for the game.

Agreed. As much as I would love to have them stay at MSG, I'd be happy for them if they stayed within the NYC area(Barclays, Nassau Coliseum, Prudential).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 11/18/17 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
NVMC is not a viable option.

A comment like this focuses only on the current team fans who live in the Big Apple with no cars. If I'm a new owner candidate I'm not thinking just about this group, and maybe not thinking of them at all. I'm thinking about my total franchise costs and how much revenue I can make at a new location.

Nassau County has 1.3 million residents. Suffolk County has another 1.5 million. They all have at least one car. Lots of residents of eastern Queens aren't that far from the Nassau Coliseum and a lot do have cars. All of that is more than enough population to get a WNBA average of 7.7K real and fake seats filled per game.

The problem with your thinking is twofold. First, Newark is like an hour by car from most parts of NYC if not less. In spite of that, barely anyone attended. Even in 2011 when they were good. People aren’t going to be anymore inclined to make a trip to LI.

Secondly, NYC is more of a basketball hotbed than LI. Believe it when I tell you that LI is not going to care all that much about the Liberty. A good night for attendance at NVMC for the Libs would be 4,000 because it almost completely eliminates public transportation from everywhere in the city that’s not close to Penn Station.

So forget the discussion. The chance of it happening is less than zero.

That's probably true. But it's probably equally unrealistic to think a WNBA team is an economically viable tenant for MSG or Barclay's unless they have common ownership. So do you have a better solution?

So nobody will make the trek to Nassau. I doubt many will pay a $100/ticket for MSG either.

Well now that you mention it...not a solution but some thoughts. I personally think the MSG issue is more about how valuable dates are than the actual money-making ability of the team. To make more money, an average of just $7 more per seat would generate 56,000 dollars per date over 18 dates. Which I think most people would pay. Ticket prices went up upon their return to MSG. People paid. That revenue increase would be about 75% of your team salary.

Nassau business-wise is not possible because it won’t generate revenue. The only two solutions I can see are one where they keep the team in msg while paying rent or they move to Barclay’s because the dates would be valuable to Barclays. And possibly their operating costs aren’t as high because the building is more smaller and has less of a techno aspect.

PostPosted: 11/18/17 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I agree it's unlikely that the Liberty remain at MSG, and Barclay may be expensive too, I wouldn't discount anything at this point. We don't know all the cost elements or how they impact profitability. I assure you that the Liberty are already paying rent. It's standard practice in the corporate world to charge internal rent to departments, profit centers, offices or whatever subunits you have. It's done either through a direct chargeback or allocations. So, the Liberty are not going from zero to some huge amount for rent. More likely they're going from a below market rate to a market rate. The question is how large is that marginal difference and can you find ways to absorb it. Or maybe the rent isn't a problem. Maybe it's the cost of ushers, security, concession stands, cleaning, etc. Can you find more ways to reduce those expenses?

Then, there's the question of opportunity cost. Just how much are these arenas missing out on better bookings by letting the Liberty occupy 17-25 (max with playoffs and preseason) dates? We're assuming the arenas have all kinds of wonderful concerts they're passing up. But are all of these events well attended? Are they more costly to present? We don't know the answers to these questions.

PostPosted: 11/18/17 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mind you I would be happy if they stayed anywhere in NY. I just see only those two possibilities as being realistic if you want the team to maintain sustainability with maybe the Westchester County Center being a distant third.

PostPosted: 11/18/17 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
While I agree it's unlikely that the Liberty remain at MSG, and Barclay may be expensive too, I wouldn't discount anything at this point. We don't know all the cost elements or how they impact profitability. I assure you that the Liberty are already paying rent. It's standard practice in the corporate world to charge internal rent to departments, profit centers, offices or whatever subunits you have. It's done either through a direct chargeback or allocations. So, the Liberty are not going from zero to some huge amount for rent. More likely they're going from a below market rate to a market rate. The question is how large is that marginal difference and can you find ways to absorb it. Or maybe the rent isn't a problem. Maybe it's the cost of ushers, security, concession stands, cleaning, etc. Can you find more ways to reduce those expenses?

Then, there's the question of opportunity cost. Just how much are these arenas missing out on better bookings by letting the Liberty occupy 17-25 (max with playoffs and preseason) dates? We're assuming the arenas have all kinds of wonderful concerts they're passing up. But are all of these events well attended? Are they more costly to present? We don't know the answers to these questions.

I think your last paragraph is probably the main reason. Ushers, security, etc. are minimal cost. MSG has always been very cheap when it comes to that, as far as I know.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 11/18/17 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 11/18/17 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember Barclays only has the Nets. Prudential Center only has the Devils and Nassau Coliseum only has the Islanders. MSG has the Knicks, Rangers, Billy Joel and still a ton of concerts. I'm sure those summer dates will get filled if the Liberty play elsewhere. The Nets owner and the Devil's owner are rumored to be in talks for an Arena League team simply to fill their arena's calendar.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/18/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Remember Barclays only has the Nets. Prudential Center only has the Devils and Nassau Coliseum only has the Islanders. MSG has the Knicks, Rangers, Billy Joel and still a ton of concerts. I'm sure those summer dates will get filled if the Liberty play elsewhere.

Huh? You make it sounds like Barclays sits vacant when the Rangers aren't playing.

They're busy at least 25 of 30 days this month. Rangers, two different college basketball tournaments, Disney ice show ( as many as three shows in a day), Janet Jackson, Jay Z, etc.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 11/18/17 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barclays has the Islanders, not Rangers...but not limited to the Nets. However, who’s to say how much longer they will have the Islanders. The place is horrible for hockey.

PostPosted: 11/18/17 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe some sort interim solution would be to split time between MSG, Barclays and/or maybe even one of the other alternatives.

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/18/17 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Islanders have already announced that they're leaving -- it's just a matter of when. I think they have options for the next two years. There's been talk of building an arena at Belmont Park, but obviously that will take some time.

Down the road, are there any votes for the Liberty at Belmont Park? Smile

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: