RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

M.S.G. Group Intends To Sell The Liberty!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/15/17 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
My hope really is falling on Cash's comment yesterday that something is currently being worked out and an announcement should be out shortly.

Yea same here she didnt seem worried at all but gave a big shout out to liberty fans and let everyone know some news will be coming soon.

PostPosted: 11/16/17 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The loss in prestige, TV ratings and potential sponsorships would be huge if the WNBA does not have a team in New York. It's not about on-court success, it's about perception, sponsors and ratings.

The WNBA is popular and has a high profile, in general, in the cities in which it has franchises. It is essentially invisible outside those cities.

New York and L.A. remain the two most important media and corporate centers in the country, in many ways, and those two franchises bring the attention of the league to the powerbrokers who work there. Leaving Houston, for example, or Sacramento, does not have the same impact as leaving either New York or L.A.

Also, consider TV ratings. Why would fans in NYC, having been abandoned by the Liberty, watch WNBA games on TV? My sense is that the ratings are driven by the cities with franchises (spurned fans are less likely to watch as well), and without NYC, the ratings will likely go down, but definitely won't improve.

And sponsors want a presence in L.A. and New York.

Leaving New York is much, much different than leaving any other city (except L.A.). It would be a serious blow to the WNBA, and conceivably, when the ESPN contract runs out, fatal.

(By the way, the SF arena will not be available to the WNBA until 2020. That's a long time for the league to lose money ...)

PostPosted: 11/16/17 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Also, consider TV ratings. Why would fans in NYC, having been abandoned by the Liberty, watch WNBA games on TV? My sense is that the ratings are driven by the cities with franchises (spurned fans are less likely to watch as well), and without NYC, the ratings will likely go down, but definitely won't improve.

I agree that TV ratings are impacted by how many markets the league is in. But you are always fighting hard against expansion. It seems like you are happier with a 12 team league than a 13,14 or 16 team league.

Quote:

(By the way, the SF arena will not be available to the WNBA until 2020. That's a long time for the league to lose money ...)

Back when the Sparks were up for sale Lacob said:

Quote:
"We are not in a rush to do it because we are focused on our primary business with the Warriors and building an arena [in San Francisco]," Lacob said. "But if the opportunity came along, we would definitely do it."

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/16/17 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The loss in prestige, TV ratings and potential sponsorships would be huge if the WNBA does not have a team in New York. It's not about on-court success, it's about perception, sponsors and ratings.

The WNBA is popular and has a high profile, in general, in the cities in which it has franchises. It is essentially invisible outside those cities.

New York and L.A. remain the two most important media and corporate centers in the country, in many ways, and those two franchises bring the attention of the league to the powerbrokers who work there. Leaving Houston, for example, or Sacramento, does not have the same impact as leaving either New York or L.A.

Leaving New York is much, much different than leaving any other city (except L.A.). It would be a serious blow to the WNBA, and conceivably, when the ESPN contract runs out, fatal.

Well said. I completely agree.

PostPosted: 11/16/17 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I agree that TV ratings are impacted by how many markets the league is in. But you are always fighting hard against expansion. It seems like you are happier with a 12 team league than a 13,14 or 16 team league.

There's competing issues, I think. On the one hand, you have the quality of the product, which directly impacts perception, attendance and ratings, and on the other, you have more markets.

My feeling is, to repeat, that there is not enough talent to maintain a quality product -- that is, one that is worth the time to watch on TV and the money to watch in person -- if there is any kind of expansion. Obviously, reasonable people can disagree on this (and we do), but if I am right, expansion would hurt the perception of the league and any chance to improve ratings from non-WNBA cities.

And of course, you need a couple owners willing to lose a couple million dollars, and since James Dolan apparently has no offers for the Liberty, a team with great tradition that draws well in a basketball city, finding those owners might be difficult.

PostPosted: 11/16/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
My hope really is falling on Cash's comment yesterday that something is currently being worked out and an announcement should be out shortly.

I still can’t find that comment she made. Where is it? Link? I want to see it for myself.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/16/17 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

There's competing issues, I think. On the one hand, you have the quality of the product, which directly impacts perception, attendance and ratings, and on the other, you have more markets.

My feeling is, to repeat, that there is not enough talent to maintain a quality product -- that is, one that is worth the time to watch on TV and the money to watch in person -- if there is any kind of expansion. Obviously, reasonable people can disagree on this (and we do), but if I am right, expansion would hurt the perception of the league and any chance to improve ratings from non-WNBA cities.

And of course, you need a couple owners willing to lose a couple million dollars, and since James Dolan apparently has no offers for the Liberty, a team with great tradition that draws well in a basketball city, finding those owners might be difficult.

We can't be sure that he has had no offers. In my view, all we know is that he's had no offers that he's found acceptable thus far.

PostPosted: 11/16/17 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Well said. I completely agree.

I agree to an extent , most viewers for the WNBA were not even in WNBA cities .

PostPosted: 11/16/17 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I still can’t find that comment she made. Where is it? Link? I want to see it for myself.

It was on her Instagram live feed , those are only accessbile for 24 hours afterwards i do believe if you have the application .

PostPosted: 11/16/17 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rosie O'Donnell just tweeted that she might consider it!

PostPosted: 11/16/17 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elizabeth wrote:

Does she have the business sense to do this?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/16/17 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

If she doesn't do it, we will know that she has some business sense Wink

PostPosted: 11/16/17 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

Maybe multiple buyers could help her.

PostPosted: 11/16/17 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She has the money to buy it. Does she have the money to continue it when investment is required?

Having it undercapitalized is not a great situation.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 11/16/17 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

Maybe multiple buyers could help her.

Agree. She doesn't even have to be the majority owner of a group. She could just be a part-owner with a minority percentage of the franchise business. Example: Magic Johnson and the Sparks LA Sports group of which Magic Johnson is a part of. Another example is former Destiny's Child member Michelle Williams, who owns a minority stake in the Chicago Sky.

PostPosted: 11/16/17 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Rosie gets together with other interested owners and they together buy the team. Come on, Rosie, make it happen!!

pilight

PostPosted: 11/16/17 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
She has the money to buy it. Does she have the money to continue it when investment is required?

How much money does it take?

PostPosted: 11/16/17 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

How much money does it take?

I don't think any $$$ has been disclosed in any relocation of teams. There's been four so far: Orlando Miracle to Connecticut, Utah Starzz to San Antonio, Stars to Las Vegas, Detroit Shock to Tulsa.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/16/17 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty also have a star player who forced a trade so she could play in NYC. If they moved, would she force another trade to be closer to home?

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/16/17 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe it's time for a team in Canada. Toronto.
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 11/17/17 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Please no. Let me keep my one refuge from Toronto fans Laughing

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 11/17/17 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

A team in Toronto would never work. The WNBA has very VERY little exposure in Canada. There is no ESPN in Canada. And NBAtv Canada doesn’t show much WNBA games compared to the US NBAtv. Plus, there would never be any roster stability in Toronto as NO one is going to want to play in Canada aside from maybe the couple Canadian players in the league. The team would never be successful. Any top players they do get, will bail / force trades the first chance they get.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/17/17 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

A team in Toronto would never work. The WNBA has very VERY little exposure in Canada. There is no ESPN in Canada. And NBAtv Canada doesn’t show much WNBA games compared to the US NBAtv. Plus, there would never be any roster stability in Toronto as NO one is going to want to play in Canada aside from maybe the couple Canadian players in the league. The team would never be successful. Any top players they do get, will bail / force trades the first chance they get.

Ok, then how about Montreal?

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 11/17/17 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Ok, then how about Montreal?

Are there any francophone WNBA players?

tfan

PostPosted: 11/17/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

What would WNBA players not like about Canada?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: