RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sheila Johnson wins Billie Jean King Leadership Award

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/18/19 11:52 am    ::: Sheila Johnson wins Billie Jean King Leadership Award Reply Reply with quote

Sheila Johnson, part-owner of the Washington Wizards, Capitals, and WNBA champion Mystics, won the Billie Jean King Leadership Award at the Women's Sports Foundation.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27866177/megan-rapinoe-claressa-shields-honored-top-female-athletes

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/18/19 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Couldn’t think of a more deserving candidate. Very Happy

PostPosted: 10/19/19 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

Can only think of one Mystics fan who supports this. The rest of us are like "WTF????"

~rAf
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/19/19 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Can only think of one Mystics fan who supports this. The rest of us are like "WTF????"

Myself included. Just wanted to play devil’s advocate. Laughing

PostPosted: 10/21/19 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting, considering that Sheila Johnson once referred to the Mystics as a "vanity project". Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 10/21/19 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm walking around enjoying a WNBA Championship while there's some posters on this message board carrying a decade old misinform grudge.

When Abe Pollin was selling off his entertainment empire the Capitals Hockey team first was sold to Ted Leonsis an admitted Hockey Fanatic. The Mystics were Abe's wife Irene's baby, if there was no Irene there would've never been the Washington Mystics. When Abe and Irene Pollin decided to sell the Mystic they wanted a woman to take over the team who cared about women issues. Abe and Irene knew Sheila Johnson and asked her if she wanted to buy the Mystics for which Sheila agree to do I believe for 10 million dollars. Sheila stepped up to the plate to buy the Mystics from Abe and Irene Pollin.

Mystics and WNBA fans should thank Abe, Irene and Sheila for having a WNBA team in the DMV because behind the scene at Monumental Sports And Entertainment there were some who believe the Mystics was a Joke that shouldn't have been kept on the books.

By the way, Julie Plank the coach some keep crying about, what WNBA team has Julie Plank been the head coach since refusing the Coach/GM position with the Mystics ? I didn't like it when Michael Adams didn't return after a 17-17 season but I didn't hold a grudge, I understand it was business the same as it was for Angela Taylor and Julie Plank.

greg5222

PostPosted: 10/21/19 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I'm walking around enjoying a WNBA Championship while there's some posters on this message board carrying a decade old misinform grudge.

When Abe Pollin was selling off his entertainment empire the Capitals Hockey team first was sold to Ted Leonsis an admitted Hockey Fanatic. The Mystics were Abe's wife Irene's baby, if there was no Irene there would've never been the Washington Mystics. When Abe and Irene Pollin decided to sell the Mystic they wanted a woman to take over the team who cared about women issues. Abe and Irene knew Sheila Johnson and asked her if she wanted to buy the Mystics for which Sheila agree to do I believe for 10 million dollars. Sheila stepped up to the plate to buy the Mystics from Abe and Irene Pollin.

Mystics and WNBA fans should thank Abe, Irene and Sheila for having a WNBA team in the DMV because behind the scene at Monumental Sports And Entertainment there were some who believe the Mystics was a Joke that shouldn't have been kept on the books.

By the way, Julie Plank the coach some keep crying about, what WNBA team has Julie Plank been the head coach since refusing the Coach/GM position with the Mystics ? I didn't like it when Michael Adams didn't return after a 17-17 season but I didn't hold a grudge, I understand it was business the same as it was for Angela Taylor and Julie Plank.

Careful now!

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 10/21/19 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:

Not sure what "misinform grudge" means but if anyone wants to read up on Sheila's incompetence from earlier this decade, here is a primer. At the very least, a lesson in public relations might have helped.:

https://www.espn.in/wnba/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&page=voepel_101103

When Lacey was sent to represent the Mystics at the 2013 WNBA Draft Lottery, I remember laughing out loud when they fell to No. 4. Karma's a bitch.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 10/21/19 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Not sure what "misinform grudge" means but if anyone wants to read up on Sheila's incompetence from earlier this decade, here is a primer. At the very least, a lesson in public relations might have helped.:

https://www.espn.in/wnba/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&page=voepel_101103

When Lacey was sent to represent the Mystics at the 2013 WNBA Draft Lottery, I remember laughing out loud when they fell to No. 4. Karma's a bitch.

If one knew what was happening at Monumental Sports And Entertainment Headquarters one would cut Sheila some slack. By the way, ask some of the fans of the defunct WNBA teams would they rather have Sheila Johnson and a WNBA team today. I didn't see anybody here putting up the money to buy the Mystics.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/21/19 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm getting the feeling that some Mystics fans would rather have not won the Finals if the ultimate price is Sheila getting this award.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 10/22/19 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I'm getting the feeling that some Mystics fans would rather have not won the Finals if the ultimate price is Sheila getting this award.

I can only speak for myself, and for me that's not true. That doesn't mean I'm a fan of Sheila. I was in her early years with the Mystics, but when she walked all over the two people she had praised to the skies just a month or so earlier not only for their success but for being well ahead of the five-year schedule she had laid out for the Mystics, and then walked all over the fans -- the fans who had for years supported a team that had mostly sucked -- I was done with her. She is not the Mystics for me, and I can separate my feelings. I am joyful for the team and the fans. And I'm happy that Sheila seems mostly to be a non-entity at games now.

BTW, if the Sun had not fired Thibault, I think the Mystics might have gone under. It was right after the Trudi debacle (which Sheila brought on), and the Mystics had nothing going for them coach-wise.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 10/23/19 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Randy wrote:

I can only speak for myself, and for me that's not true. That doesn't mean I'm a fan of Sheila. I was in her early years with the Mystics, but when she walked all over the two people she had praised to the skies just a month or so earlier not only for their success but for being well ahead of the five-year schedule she had laid out for the Mystics, and then walked all over the fans -- the fans who had for years supported a team that had mostly sucked -- I was done with her. She is not the Mystics for me, and I can separate my feelings. I am joyful for the team and the fans. And I'm happy that Sheila seems mostly to be a non-entity at games now.

BTW, if the Sun had not fired Thibault, I think the Mystics might have gone under. It was right after the Trudi debacle (which Sheila brought on), and the Mystics had nothing going for them coach-wise.

+1.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: