RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Anyone see 60 Minutes last night?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/06/17 1:04 pm    ::: Anyone see 60 Minutes last night? Reply Reply with quote

I'm an occassional, not regular viewer. Recorded it last night to see the Puerto Rico power story. Not bad, but pretty mundane story, frankly ( not to minimize the tragedy of the situation). The incompetence and waste (unrelated to the hurricane) is quite amazing.

But then I saw that the next segment was about the Millennium Tower in San Francisco (a 600 ft tall luxury condo development that is sinking and leaning and cracking at an alarming rate). Now that was a fascinating segment. Worth watching.

But THEN, the third segment (which I originally didn't expect to watch) came on and I left it on out of curiosity, and it was a home run. About Alma Deutscher, a 12 year old girl who is writing piano concertoes and an opera and performing her own works and other's with great orchestras and conductors world wide. Absolutely remarkable. Well worth finding online and watching.

Anyhow, one of the best 60 Minutes I've seen in many years, and that's saying a lot considering all the great television that show has done over time.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/07/17 11:33 am    ::: Re: Anyone see 60 Minutes last night? Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I'm an occassional, not regular viewer. Recorded it last night to see the Puerto Rico power story. Not bad, but pretty mundane story, frankly ( not to minimize the tragedy of the situation). The incompetence and waste (unrelated to the hurricane) is quite amazing.

But then I saw that the next segment was about the Millennium Tower in San Francisco (a 600 ft tall luxury condo development that is sinking and leaning and cracking at an alarming rate). Now that was a fascinating segment. Worth watching.

But THEN, the third segment (which I originally didn't expect to watch) came on and I left it on out of curiosity, and it was a home run. About Alma Deutscher, a 12 year old girl who is writing piano concertoes and an opera and performing her own works and other's with great orchestras and conductors world wide. Absolutely remarkable. Well worth finding online and watching.

Anyhow, one of the best 60 Minutes I've seen in many years, and that's saying a lot considering all the great television that show has done over time.

I have it on my DVR (I record the program weekly). Will be looking forward to it.

justintyme

PostPosted: 11/07/17 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finally got around to watching it. It was excellent.

PostPosted: 11/07/17 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Haven't seen that episode yet, but I'll watch it on CBS On Demand.

I'm interested in that Millenium Tower story. Football Hall of Famer Joe Montana and San Francisco Giants outfielder Hunter Pence both live there. And IIRC, Joe Montana has been in a lawsuit against the building owners because he was promoting condos for the building but the owners had never previously mentioned to him that they knew the building was slowly sinking.

http://www.sfgate.com/local/article/60-minutes-shows-footage-cracks-millennium-tower-12335207.php

Last edited by StevenHW on 11/08/17 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/07/17 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Haven't seen that episode yet, but I'll watch it on CBS On Demand.

I'm interested in that Millenium Tower story. Football Hall of Famer Joe Montana and San Francisco Giants outfielder both live there. And IIRC, Joe Montana has been in a lawsuit against the building owners because he was promoting condos for the building but the owners had never previously mentioned to him that they knew the building was slowly sinking.

http://www.sfgate.com/local/article/60-minutes-shows-footage-cracks-millennium-tower-12335207.php

These are all multi million dollar condos. The building is full of tech gazillionaires, although they also mentioned Montana. There's already a huge lawsuit involving the architects and builders and developers and the transit authority and the homeowners association and a bunch of individual owners and the city. They quoted one observor as saying it took the court thirty minutes each time just to get a roll call of the lawyers present in the courtroom.

Meanwhile the cracks keep getting worse. One proposed solution was apparently to remove the top twenty floors to reduce the building's weight.

What a fiasco.

Sophisticated engineers with massive budgets aren't supposed to get things like this wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: