RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 11/20/17 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCLA's AP ranking this week (#5) is its highest ranking since Week 1 of 1999, when current UCLA freshman Michaela Onyenwere was 3 months old.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/20/17 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
So Baylor only drops to 8? I have to assume none of these voters actually watched the game. They didn't look that good to me.

Name and reputation drives so much of the voting.

They were without one of their best players and without their coach. That’s why they didn’t drop too much. 8 seems about right to me.

Did all their guards stay home? Because if not the things you cited had zero to do with where they should be ranked.

If you watched the game, their shortcomings are obvious and not temporary.

A team playing without their head coach and key post player, after a week of strong and very sad emotions, against a top 5 team - dropping them as far as they did is about right. That was also an asst coach who found out her baby had some horrible defects and then died. I'm glad the voters recognize the effect on the players of human tragedy even if some posters act like they're robots without hearts.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/20/17 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://collegebasketball.ap.org/ap-womens-basketball-poll-week-3-2017

UConn still unanimous

South Carolina up to #3

South Florida up to #17

Duke down to #16

Oklahoma out
Arizona State in

Duke dropped only to 16 after losing to an unranked team? Awfully generous. It's hard for them to admit when they've drastically overranked a team, isn't it?

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/20/17 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
So Baylor only drops to 8? I have to assume none of these voters actually watched the game. They didn't look that good to me.

Name and reputation drives so much of the voting.

They were without one of their best players and without their coach. That’s why they didn’t drop too much. 8 seems about right to me.

Did all their guards stay home? Because if not the things you cited had zero to do with where they should be ranked.

If you watched the game, their shortcomings are obvious and not temporary.

A team playing without their head coach and key post player, after a week of strong and very sad emotions, against a top 5 team - dropping them as far as they did is about right. That was also an asst coach who found out her baby had some horrible defects and then died. I'm glad the voters recognize the effect on the players of human tragedy even if some posters act like they're robots without hearts.

The likelihood of voters knowing about, much less voting based on, personal tragedies of coaching staff is less than zero. I'm glad that you filled in the People magazine details though. Rolling Eyes

Though given the total absence of basketball related comments, I assume you didn't bother actually to watch the Baylor loss.

Hmm. Let's see. I'm sure that deep in the sports editorial offices of the Somerville NJ Home News Tribune, Rutgers Beat Reporter Ryan Dunleavy was filling out his AP women's rankings and thought to himself "Wow, except for Kalani Brown, Baylor really looked like crap against UCLA. Nowhere near what I expected. They have no guards. That's really going to be a problem. Based on their performance, they don't belong near the top ten. Probably around thirteen would be right. But considering what those coaches are going through in their family lives, I can't pile on by dropping them that far, so I'll put them at 8."

Or....

Deep in the sports editorial offices of the Somerville NJ Home News Tribune, Rutgers Beat Reporter Ryan Dunleavy is rushing to meet his deadlines on his Rutgers football stories while worrying about how Saturday's games change his Heisman ballot when he remembered he had to get his AP WBB ballot done. Checking the scores, he saw that Baylor lost to UCLA and thought to himself "I've been busy with football and haven't watched any basketball except Rutgers. I'm surprised at that score. UCLA must be pretty good. But Baylor is always good and it was on the road, so I can't drop them very far. Eight sounds about right. I'll move UCLA up a couple spots too."

Now I wonder which of those is more likely?

pilight

PostPosted: 11/27/17 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/ap-womens-basketball-poll-week-4-0

UConn still unanimous

Notre Dame up to #3

Missouri up to #19

California down to #24

Villanova in
Arizona State out

PostPosted: 11/27/17 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tenn won 4 games last week, granted only one was against a ranked opponent, but that's more than Oregon, Baylor, and WVU did. They didn't budge from #12. I guess it's going to take a lot to regain any respect.

Last edited by FrozenLVFan on 11/27/17 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/27/17 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why in Tara's name is 3-loss Stanford still rated in the Top 15? They have lost to good teams, but they are also 4-3 and with no quality wins.

It reminds me of the those last few relevant LaTech teams that got credit for playing and decidedly losing to a few other good teams.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/27/17 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you lose a close game against a higher ranked team, it may not hurt you.... might even cause your team to rise because you can argue the teams are comparable. Of course, the poll is an accumulated opinion of 39 people. It's not going to be of one mind.

I thought for sure GB would chart this week. They had a somewhat disappointing loss against Mississippi St, but otherwise they have been mowing down teams.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 11/27/17 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Why in Tara's name is 3-loss Stanford still rated in the Top 15? They have lost to good teams, but they are also 4-3 and with no quality wins.

It reminds me of the those last few relevant LaTech teams that got credit for playing and decidedly losing to a few other good teams.

Reputation. Stanford has always been a top-25 team, so they'll stay top 25 until proven otherwise. (I'd be hard-pressed to find any teams after #15 that I know for sure are better than Stanford anyways).

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/27/17 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

The likelihood of voters knowing about, much less voting based on, personal tragedies of coaching staff is less than zero. I'm glad that you filled in the People magazine details though. Rolling Eyes

Though given the total absence of basketball related comments, I assume you didn't bother actually to watch the Baylor loss.

Hmm. Let's see. I'm sure that deep in the sports editorial offices of the Somerville NJ Home News Tribune, Rutgers Beat Reporter Ryan Dunleavy was filling out his AP women's rankings and thought to himself "Wow, except for Kalani Brown, Baylor really looked like crap against UCLA. Nowhere near what I expected. They have no guards. That's really going to be a problem. Based on their performance, they don't belong near the top ten. Probably around thirteen would be right. But considering what those coaches are going through in their family lives, I can't pile on by dropping them that far, so I'll put them at 8."

Or....

Deep in the sports editorial offices of the Somerville NJ Home News Tribune, Rutgers Beat Reporter Ryan Dunleavy is rushing to meet his deadlines on his Rutgers football stories while worrying about how Saturday's games change his Heisman ballot when he remembered he had to get his AP WBB ballot done. Checking the scores, he saw that Baylor lost to UCLA and thought to himself "I've been busy with football and haven't watched any basketball except Rutgers. I'm surprised at that score. UCLA must be pretty good. But Baylor is always good and it was on the road, so I can't drop them very far. Eight sounds about right. I'll move UCLA up a couple spots too."

Thank you Art. Gave me the best laugh! [even though it's really kinda sad, but true]

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/28/17 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Or....

Thank you Art. Gave me the best laugh! [even though it's really kinda sad, but true]

You want to see the ballot of someone who was obviously busy with something else last week? Look at SI's Richard Dietsch's top ten:

UConn
Louisville
MissSt
OhioSt
Notre Dame
Texas
UCLA
SCar
Baylor
Stanford

That is so completely arbitrary and random it looks like he drew names from a hat. I can't see how one could arrive at that list by actually watching games. Is he unaware Stanford is 4-3?

After 10 it doesn't get any better. E.g., AzSt ( who didn't make the actual top 25) at 15, undefeated FSU at 20 behind such notables as Missouri, USF, and 2-loss OreSt (and behind the aforementioned AzSt).

Credit him at least, I guess, for not just following the crowd.

Some of these voters are either completely clueless about or disinterested in WBB, or both. It's depressing they can't find 31 people to take it seriously

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 11/28/17 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

You want to see the ballot of someone who was obviously busy with something else last week? Look at SI's Richard Dietsch's top ten:

UConn
Louisville
MissSt
OhioSt
Notre Dame
Texas
UCLA
SCar
Baylor
Stanford

That is so completely arbitrary and random it looks like he drew names from a hat. I can't see how one could arrive at that list by actually watching games. Is he unaware Stanford is 4-3?

I don't see anything wrong with that top 10. The teams Stanford lost to are all ranked ahead of them, one being UConn and the other being an OT loss.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/28/17 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with that top 10. The teams Stanford lost to are all ranked ahead of them, one being UConn and the other being an OT loss.

That you Richard? Very Happy

Stanford's placement is far from the only problem. But did you notice that in addition to losing thrice, Stanford has beaten exactly no one with a pulse?

If you only consider ten teams, then putting Stanford 10th is perfectly sensible. But there are a lot more than ten teams to consider. I'll point out that even among the 31 AP voters, Dietsch's #10 is the outlier. No one else put them that high, the consensus was 16, and two voters didn't even include them on their ballot. So more voters felt they didn't belong in the top 25 at all than felt they belonged at ten. (Those two voters probably actually watched them play.)

You were correct with your initial comment up the page. They are ranked entirely on reputation. Not because they belong there this year.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/28/17 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep I agree Stanford and Ohio state should not be in the top 10 Laughing Laughing

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 11/28/17 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
If you only consider ten teams, then putting Stanford 10th is perfectly sensible. But there are a lot more than ten teams to consider. I'll point out that even among the 31 AP voters, Dietsch's #10 is the outlier. No one else put them that high, the consensus was 16, and two voters didn't even include them on their ballot. So more voters felt they didn't belong in the top 25 at all than felt they belonged at ten. (Those two voters probably actually watched them play.)

You were correct with your initial comment up the page. They are ranked entirely on reputation. Not because they belong there this year.

It's still early in the year, so I don't see what the outrage is for. Heck, even UConn was ranked #1 in the preseason (and still is) despite the fact they have yet to prove they can beat a top-4 ranked team this year.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/04/17 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/ap-womens-basketball-poll-week-5

UConn still unanimous

Baylor up to #8

Villanova up to #22

Ohio State down to #12

Green Bay in
Marquette out

PostPosted: 12/04/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the real world, Baylor is higher.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/04/17 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

If you move Baylor higher than 8, then you gotta move UCLA higher than 7.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/05/17 3:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Shades wrote:

If you move Baylor higher than 8, then you gotta move UCLA higher than 7.

I was kind of curious about the voting after the ND-UConn game. Apparently a few pollsters decided to punish ND for losing by 9 at UConn (one dropped ND 4 spots). I noticed that 2 put ND behind South Carolina. I guess they must have missed the whole "ND beat USC on a neutral court recently" thing, and for one pollster losing at UCLA by 14 is better than losing at UConn by 9. Huh?

I know, polls don't matter in Women's Basketball, but it still was curious.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/05/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I bet some already sent their votes in before all the games were played

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/05/17 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

That would have been especially embarrassing if Notre Dame had held on to their lead.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/08/17 3:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Yeah, but it doesn't explain those who dropped ND, particularly the guy who dropped them 4 spots, or those who put ND behind SC.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/11/17 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/ap-womens-basketball-poll-week-6-0

UConn still unanimous

Notre Dame up to #2

Tennessee up to #7

South Florida down to #22

Iowa in
Kentucky out

PostPosted: 12/11/17 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome to the real world!

I noticed New Mexico got a #17 vote from Scott Nulph. They still get leap-frogged by Iowa and Oklahoma St.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/11/17 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Some of these votes are amazing.

One guy has Tenn and Texas ahead of ND, Baylor and S.Car.

Another has Tenn and Texas at 4 and 5 ahead of Miss St, Baylor and S.Car.

Another has Texas ahead of Baylor and Louisville and Tennessee.

Uhhhhh, Tenn beat Texas yesterday, right? So they're three spots behind Texas today? Really?

And did any of you actually watch that slop fest of a game? You're confident those two are better than Baylor, S.Car, Louisville, MissSt, and Notre Dame?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: