RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ND's Jessica Shepard's waiver is approved!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/01/17 9:55 pm    ::: ND's Jessica Shepard's waiver is approved! Reply Reply with quote

Great news for ND who was really hurting in the post, especially with Turner out for the season.

http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/110117aaa.html

linkster

PostPosted: 11/01/17 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm happy for both her and the Irish. It makes N Dame a viable contender for the title and wcbb needs more of those. However from a public perspective it seems odd that a player who transferred in order to maximize her talent (her stated reason for transferring) qualified for a waiver that is usually granted only for extenuating circumstances. Either there is more to the story of her move or else the NCAA is schizophrenic.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/02/17 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I'm happy for both her and the Irish. It makes N Dame a viable contender for the title and wcbb needs more of those. However from a public perspective it seems odd that a player who transferred in order to maximize her talent (her stated reason for transferring) qualified for a waiver that is usually granted only for extenuating circumstances. Either there is more to the story of her move or else the NCAA is schizophrenic.

There's just no evidence that these are "usually granted only for extenuating circumstances."

And yes, I think the outcomes are arbitrary, even "schizophrenic", as you call them.

I don't know, nor does anyone else here I would bet, have any idea what her application presented.

Having already granted waivers to others who bolted Nebraska, however, including others who were not disgruntled, I doubt they saw any reason to penalize another player in identical circumstances at the same school merely for sticking it out another year before giving up. Now that would be arbitrary.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/02/17 2:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

I think the basic idea here was that she decided to stay for a coaching change, just to give the new coach a chance. However, after just one year with the coach (who didn't recruit her), she decided this was the situation she wanted (or originally signed up for).

Apparently there have been other cases that are similar and the NCAA has ruled similarly. In a way, it's kind of good because if you give an exemption for an immediate coaching change, but not one if you try out the new coach for a year, then whenever there's a coaching change, you'll end up with more transfers (more than if you'd allow an exemption after staying one year). This allows more players to give the new coach a chance.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/02/17 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

There's just no evidence that these are "usually granted only for extenuating circumstances."

And yes, I think the outcomes are arbitrary, even "schizophrenic", as you call them.

I don't know, nor does anyone else here I would bet, have any idea what her application presented.

Having already granted waivers to others who bolted Nebraska, however, including others who were not disgruntled, I doubt they saw any reason to penalize another player in identical circumstances at the same school merely for sticking it out another year before giving up. Now that would be arbitrary.

If this player had transferred to any other school, your opinion would be far different. It's almost comical.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: