RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who would you elect to the R'n'R Hall of fame
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/05/17 4:33 pm    ::: Who would you elect to the R'n'R Hall of fame Reply Reply with quote

This year's nominees are
are:
Bon Jovi
Kate Bush
The Cars
Depeche Mode
Dire Straits
Eurythmics
J. Geils Band
Judas Priest
LL Cool J
MC5
The Meters
Moody Blues
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Nina Simone
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Link Wray
The Zombies

What five would you pick? I'd choose Dire Straits, Radiohead, Moody Blues, Zombies, Eurythmics.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/05/17 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kate Bush
Eurythmics
Rufus
Nina Simone
Sister Rosetta Tharpe

PostPosted: 10/05/17 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

None. There are already too many members. We're now filtering dregs, not pouring fine R&R wine.

Some of these artists may have great merit in musical areas, but has their work primarily and famously been in "rock & roll"? That's debatable, but I would keep the definition narrow.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/05/17 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Link Wray belongs for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucTg6rZJCu4

PostPosted: 10/05/17 7:43 pm    ::: Re: Who would you elect to the R'n'R Hall of fame Reply Reply with quote

Radiohead, Nina Simone and The Zombies are my only musts. Although Kate Bush wrote one of the most beautiful songs ever. (This Woman's Work)

PostPosted: 10/05/17 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nina Simone
Kate Bush
Rage Against The Machine
Rufus
Sister Rosetta Tharpe

But we all know how the R&R HOF voters see women.

PostPosted: 10/05/17 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Radiohead, Depeche Mode, and Nina Simone. After that, I care less.

Well, I don't really care at all but ...

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/05/17 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Come on people. Mark Knoppfler is one of the top five rock guitar players of all time. Dire Straits has to be a slam dunk.

And the question is who should be in the Hall, not who your favorite artist might be. for example, I'm not a huge Radiohead fan, but they deserve to be in the Hall. On the other hand, MC5 is entertaining, but I doubt they're Hall of Fame worthy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VS__fyWyBX8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ArtBest23"]Come on people. Mark Knoppfler is one of the top five rock guitar players of all time. Dire Straits has to be a slam dunk.

And the question is who should be in the Hall, not who your favorite artist might be. for example, I'm not a huge Radiohead fan, but they deserve to be in the Hall. On the other hand, MC5 is entertaining, but I doubt they're Hall of Fame worthy.[quote]

I really don't believe in ranking musicians, per se, but no, he isn't.

You mean he is one of "your favorite" Top 5 rock guitarists of all time.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

You mean he is one of "your favorite" Top 5 rock guitarists of all time.

No, I meant exactly what I wrote.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/06/17 4:47 am    ::: Re: Who would you elect to the R'n'R Hall of fame Reply Reply with quote

Tricky one, but The Meters are definitely in my 5.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 6:09 am    ::: Re: Who would you elect to the R'n'R Hall of fame Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
This year's nominees are
are:
Bon Jovi
Kate Bush
The Cars
Depeche Mode
Dire Straits
Eurythmics
J. Geils Band
Judas Priest
LL Cool J
MC5
The Meters
Moody Blues
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Nina Simone
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Link Wray
The Zombies

What five would you pick? I'd choose Dire Straits, Radiohead, Moody Blues, Zombies, Eurythmics.

I voted for Judas Priest, Dire Straits, Nina Simone, J. Geils Band and The Cars.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Name Nina Simone's top five rock & roll hits. She was a blues, R&B, jazz, gospel, and non-rock pop singer.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Name Nina Simone's top five rock & roll hits. She was a blues, R&B, jazz, gospel, and non-rock pop singer.

But hey, she's a politically correct selection.

I agree with your point on this nominee, although not with your previous suggestion that there are a lot of such non-Rock artists on this year's ballot. I think just two or three, as usual.

I think this nomination and likely selection is all about race and gender, but will be justified with " well she influenced____________". So maybe next year they should induct Johann Sebastian Bach.

The Atlantic is all in on Simone's selection.

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No love for Bon Jovi here? Slippery When Wet is, imo, one of the top 25 rock albums of all time. Add in New Jersey and his overall longevity (and that he is most definitely Rock) and he tops my list.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I agree with your point on this nominee, although not with your previous suggestion that there are a lot of such non-Rock artists on this year's ballot. I think just two or three, as usual.

I think this nomination and likely selection is all about race and gender, but will be justified with " well she influenced____________". So maybe next year they should induct Johann Sebastian Bach.

If you are going to put Dire Straits in because of Knopfler's guitar-playing, Simone played her instrument at a level that also demands recognition. Just because it is a voice instead of a guitar doesn't make it any less worthy ...

You could make an argument that she isn't R&R, but that line was crossed years ago.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
No love for Bon Jovi here? Slippery When Wet is, imo, one of the top 25 rock albums of all time. Add in New Jersey and his overall longevity (and that he is most definitely Rock) and he tops my list.

I support Bon Jovi's induction, but just not my top five this year.

Actually I prefer Bon Jovi to the Moody Blues, but the the Moody Blues need to be added because of the Hall's ridiculous long term avoidance of 70s progressive rock bands. Yes broke the ice and was finally inducted this year, but still no Jethro Tull, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, or King Crimson. The Moody Blues would be another step in addressing that oversight.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

They've long since abandoned the notion of the HOF being strictly R&R acts. Heck, they gave it up with the first class, which included non-rockers like Jimmie Rodgers and Sam Cooke.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

If you are going to put Dire Straits in because of Knopfler's guitar-playing, Simone played her instrument at a level that also demands recognition. Just because it is a voice instead of a guitar doesn't make it any less worthy ...

You could make an argument that she isn't R&R, but that line was crossed years ago.

Well then induct Andres Segovia and Tommy Emmanuel.

No one is saying she wasn't a good musician. She's just not even close to belonging in the ROCK AND ROLLL Hall of Fame.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/06/17 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of the Moody Blues, and in honor of their nomination, my favorite Moody Blues song, live from 1970:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-wDHvmCVRxU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/06/17 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joan Baez is one of my favorite singers of all time, ever since she and the great Tommy Makem were voted the most promising newcomers at the 1961 Newport Folk Festival. Joan was the crystalline queen of folk singers, not a rock & roll singer, yet she was inducted last year to my amazing gracement.

The R&R Hall of Fame could better justify its expansive business ambitions by simply changing its name to the Popular Music Hall of Fame.

The same thing has been happening at the Naismith Basketball HOF and the WB HOF in Knoxville -- hardly anyone has ever heard of a good percentage of the recent nominees.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/06/17 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joan Baez performed at Woodstock. That gives her at least some claim to being part of rock and roll history.

Although she herself questioned whether she belonged.

She was part of the late 60s rock music scene, but then in the war protest movement rock and folk were quite interlinked.

Dylan, Neil Young, Arloe Guthrie, Barry McGuire, Jessie Colin Young, Donovan Leitch, Yusuf Islam aka Cat Stevens. Didn't they all straddle the line and cross back and forth? Joni Mitchell collaborated with lots of rock artists on writing and performing. So what is she? What about Richie Havens?

Mark Knopfler did an album a few years ago with Emmylou Harris. So is that a rock album or a folk album?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ey9kdeOjT3o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 10/06/17 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Call him whatever, as long as it isn't one of the top 5 guitarists in rock history.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

And since the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame lets any genre of performer in, that's how I chose her as one of my picks to get in.

It has nothing to do with whether she's rock or not.

And I believe the question was who would I choose.
tfan

PostPosted: 10/06/17 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If L L CoolJ is going to be a candidate, they should rename the place.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: