5. Katie Smith

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 07/30/18 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Fowles over Brunson? What a joke.

You could make a strong case that Brunson should be #1

You can make the strongest case that Maya is #1.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/30/18 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Respect to Brunson, but how can you make a case for her over Moore?

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/30/18 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How do Lynx fans feel about Fowles over Smith & Brunson?

Shades

PostPosted: 07/30/18 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Top 5 should've been:
1. Whalen
2. Moore
3. Augustus
4. Brunson
5. Katie Smith

If Whalen isn’t #3, just throw this list into the garbage bin.

adamj95

PostPosted: 07/30/18 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

Without Fowles, Lynx don't win in 2015 and 2017. Not too upset. It's just a list.

PostPosted: 07/30/18 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Without Fowles, Lynx don't win in 2015 and 2017. Not too upset. It's just a list.

Without Brunson they don't win any of their championships

PostPosted: 07/30/18 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Disputable and unprovable. They won their first two by luck?

Shades

PostPosted: 07/30/18 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Better chance than without Maya. Brunson has missed a bunch of games, especially in 2014, and the Lynx managed to stay afloat. Maya is iron woman.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/30/18 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Better chance than without Maya. Brunson has missed a bunch of games, especially in 2014, and the Lynx managed to stay afloat. Maya is iron woman.

2014, that was the year they didn't make the finals. Thanks for proving my point.

PostPosted: 07/30/18 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

I am outraged because Brunson should be ahead of Whalen, or at least not 2 spots below her!. I thought these lists are supposed to be of the top Lynx players, so being from Minnesota and playing for the Gophers shouldn't play any role! Such bias!

adamj95

PostPosted: 07/30/18 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

No, not provable but highly unlikely with the injuries faced by Augustus and Whalen in 2015 that they would have won without Fowles. Would they have made the finals in 2017 without MVP Fowles? Who knows.

PostPosted: 07/30/18 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Shades wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

No, not provable but highly unlikely with the injuries faced by Augustus and Whalen in 2015 that they would have won without Fowles. Would they have made the finals in 2017 without MVP Fowles? Who knows.

Shades is always offended at the idea that anybody could play any role in the Lynx winning titles besides Maya. The Lynx were clearly the best team in the WNBA when they won in 2011 & 2013. The Sparks never figured things out until they hired Agler, and Griner was soft as a rookie in 2013. The Lynx wouldn't have won in 2015 or beyond without Fowles. Fowles, once she figured things out, was their advantage in 2015. I didn't trust the Lynx winning in 2015 with 35-year old Ashja Jones as their starting center.

Fowles was their advantage over the Fever in 2015. The Fever's playoff run up to the Finals basically mimicked 2012. The Lynx won every game in the Finals that Fowles didn't turn the ball over like crazy or get into foul trouble.
Because of injuries to Whalen & Augustus, the Lynx wouldn't have won in 2015 without Renee Montgomery & Anna Cruz, but nobody is saying they should be ranked ahead of Maya in the top Lynx players of all time either. And obviously the Lynx wouldn't have won without Maya all those years too.
It's supposed to be an arms race anyways. Why shouldn't the Lynx have traded for Fowles for relatively cheap when the Mercury got Griner, the Sparks have Ogwumike & Parker in their frontcourt, etc?

Shades

PostPosted: 07/30/18 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Shades wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

2017 was a strong year for the Sparks. Having Fowles definitely helps. But I have truly not seen a player more taken for granted than Maya. There has been no player more transformative to the Lynx organization than Maya. I shouldn’t even have to go into detail.

Compare the 2015 regular season record with and without Fowles, and get back to me. I had the Trophy chalked up to the Lynx before the Fowles trade came to light. It was an easy season with Taurasi out and I think somebody else was out too (Parker half season?).

I knew this meaningless list would cause more trouble than it’s worth. It pits players against players, fans against fans, and accomplishes nothing but steer the basketball-naive to believe whatever it says. I already gave the Lynx-newb author a shot across the bow for being a complete front office shill.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/30/18 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There could be a case for Seimone being #1

PostPosted: 07/30/18 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Compare the 2015 regular season record with and without Fowles, and get back to me. I had the Trophy chalked up to the Lynx before the Fowles trade came to light. It was an easy season with Taurasi out and I think somebody else was out too (Parker half season?).

That's not how it works—you're over-simplifying things. The Lynx's first half schedule in 2015 was much easier than their second half schedule. When they traded for Fowles, they had to adjust to learning how to play with her on the fly, and too often she'd be a turnover machine, or the Lynx would turn the ball over like crazy forcing the ball to her, until things starting clicking right as the playoffs started (and their final loss of a year was a IDGAF game, since they left Maya in Minnesota anyways). Also, Augustus missed a month with a knee surgery, came back, was rusty, and then sprained her ankle and missed the rest of the regular season, while at the same time, the Lynx traded for Montgomery, who went through an extended shooting slump until late in the season, and didn't become a major factor until the WNBA Finals.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/30/18 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
There could be a case for Seimone being #1

If Fowles is ahead of Brunson, then Maya has to be #1, or I demand a federal investigation into the logic the list-maker(s) is using!

justintyme

PostPosted: 07/30/18 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Augustus should be #1.

It was her team in 2011 (and yes, they could have won it that year without Maya who was arguably the 4th best player on the team that year) and this dynasty was only possible because she stuck it out when times were beyond rough

Moore should be #2, and if she continues to have success the next time the list is made it will be her at #1.

Whalen is #3. The second best PG of all time deserves that spot. Only reason she isn't #1 is because she played for the Sun for so many years. If she and Augustus switched years played with the Lynx, they would switch positions, imo.

#4 should have been Brunson. Her defense is so undervalued and her play on the boards is second to none in WNBA history.

#5 should have been Katie Smith. She was the only thing worth watching about the Lynx for years. And boy was she worth watching.

#6 should have been Fowles. Only been a few years, but 2 Championships, 2 Finals MVPs, and a league MVP is enough to be ranked this high without the years. But those lack of years mean there is no way she should have been ranked above Brunson or Smith.

PostPosted: 07/31/18 5:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As always with these things, people's mileage varies when it comes to weighing up quality vs longevity.

I would value someone pretty highly if they had won 2 x Finals MVP awards though. That's a heck of a contribution to a franchise IMO. All the more impressive when you consider the quality of the teammates she out-played to win them.
There are good arguments for all 6 of those players really. Tough gig for Lynx fans trying to decide which awesome player to rank above the other awesome players.

PostPosted: 08/01/18 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Renee Montgomery with a little Minnesota talk
https://www.sny.tv/uconn/news/montgomery-brings-winning-edge-to-atlanta/288256980

Quote:
"Minnesota was a great situation. It was amazing. We won two championships so I can't complain. But I wanted to come back home. My parents have been to more games this year than in the past five years. I've always been somewhere far. Now it's only like a six- or seven-hour drive and it's like they live with me. It all worked out well. The team doing well was a bonus."

Quote:
"Anything could have happened," Montgomery said. "But Coach Nicki came in very aggressively with how much she wanted me and where she saw me with the team. And she's backed it up 100 percent. Sometimes a coach will try to sell you a Dream and she didn't. I liked her concept, what she wanted from me, what she thought that I could be. I'm the captain here. It all worked out better than I could have planned."

Quote:
She believes her winning ways from UConn and from the Lynx came with her to Atlanta.

"That's one thing I can bring," Montgomery said. "I've seen what it takes on a day-to-day basis. You can't buy that experience unless you were there.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/01/18 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

2011 and 2013 were a younger team and against weaker opponents than they faced in 2015 and 2017. They won the finals in 2015 and 2017 in 5 games with Fowles being named the MVP of the series both times.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 08/02/18 2:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

2011 and 2013 were a younger team and against weaker opponents than they faced in 2015 and 2017. They won the finals in 2015 and 2017 in 5 games with Fowles being named the MVP of the series both times.

The Lynx situation with Sylvia Fowles is similar to the NBA's Golden State Warriors and Kevin Durant. Both teams in this era won titles before they previously (GS had won one and lost in the finals). Both players went to the best team of their era (Durant gets way more criticism about doing this from fans and other players than Fowles does), and both of them won 2 Finals MVP.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/06/18 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://lynx.wnba.com/news/top-20-players-3-lindsay-whalen/

3. Lindsay Whalen
4. Sylvia Fowles
5. Rebekkah Brunson
6. Katie Smith
7. Svetty Beast
8. Tamika Williams
9. Teresa Edwards
10. Taj McWilliams-Franklin
11. Betty Lennox
12. Janel McCarville
13. Renee Montgomery
14. Nicole Ohlde
15. Monica Wright
16. Tonya Edwards
17. Kristen Mann Confused
18. Charde Houston
19. Nicky Anosike
20. Dev Peters

Up to date on the Lynx dartboard selection committee picks for Top 20 all time Lynx players.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/06/18 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Da f*ck is Whalen doing at #3!?!?! This clearly makes Augustus #2 & Moore #1.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 24 of 26

Jump to: