Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/13/18 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, Jones isn't going anywhere. The question is how many minutes Reeve will find for her now that there are veteran options available to go with instead.

She went from first guard off the bench to 5th guard in short order.

Quote:
That would mean the 5-11, 34-year-old Wright would guard at the forward position, something she can do. Reeve compared Wright to Rebekkah Brunson in her ability to guard bigger players.

Guarding forward would be so rare, it’s not really worth discussing.
You know who else defends bigger players... Matee Ajavon. Remember when she was defending Glory Johnson and a fight almost broke out?

With Reeve talking about playing small with Wright at forward, she’s not showing a ton of confidence in this player she had to have in Zandalasini. Her and Jones amount to insurance policies now. Not a surprise, was expected she’d want more vets. Same old Reeve.

That said, I think it’s a good move if Wright still has it in the tank. I hope she doesn’t become the next Tan White.... disappointment combined with thinking about could have been with a younger player (Sugar Rodgers). Tan White and Tanisha Wright have the same initials. With Reeve being so superstitious, if she reads this, it’s going to mess with her head. “Oh no, what I have done?”

The saddest thing is it sure looks like the Lynx won’t be drafting at guard this season (no Carlie Wagner unless nobody else drafts her and they pick her up at #36). I could see them drafting Wallace as a deferred pick. I hope Miyem’s contract isn’t guaranteed because she’s now the most bubble player on the team. She hasn’t been very good from what I’ve seen. Draft best post player available at #17. Draft Wallace or maybe a foreign flyer like Musina at #24. Draft Wagner or another foreign flyer at #36. We done.

To be fair Ajavon was only guarding her that possession due to a switch that was made on a pick & roll . She did not guard glory the entire game .

PostPosted: 03/13/18 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
That said, I think it’s a good move if Wright still has it in the tank. I hope she doesn’t become the next Tan White.... disappointment combined with thinking about could have been with a younger player (Sugar Rodgers). Tan White and Tanisha Wright have the same initials. With Reeve being so superstitious, if she reads this, it’s going to mess with her head. “Oh no, what I have done?”

I'm very superstitious, so I love this move, because it hopefully guarantees the Lynx will win a title, as I learned that the secret to winning WNBA Titltes is acquiring a (former) Liberty player:
2011: Taj McWilliams-Franklin
2012: Erlana Larkins
2013: Janel McCarville
2014: ?
2015: Anna Cruz
2016: Essence Carson (that's why I was sh*t scared all of 2016, because that signing gave it away to me that the Sparks were winning it all that year)
2017: I guess the New York Liberty Curse ignored Pierson's 2 prior years in Tulsa/Dallas? Or maybe it's like 2014.
2018: If so, the Lynx better win, and not the Sparks, because Cappie played with the Liberty 3 years, and two teams ago.

Now watch some team trade for Shoni Schimmel in order to try to outdo the Lynx, thanks to me. Cool

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/13/18 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
For what it's worth, I like this one too. It's dependent on her being in shape, but the player that was in New York for a couple of years would be very useful for Minnesota. It's something of a combo of what Perkins and Montgomery offered - a veteran hand who knows what they're supposed to be doing at any moment, and a player who can run the offense (and likely still a better defender than either, even if she has lost a step).

The fact that I knew this was supposed to be coming was part of why I didn't like the Robinson trade. They already had the veteran lead-guard option behind Whalen, in case Reeve refused to let Jones be the primary backup PG (which always seemed inevitable). Given that, I'd rather have taken my chances of something useful being left at #12.

Yeah, I'm with you there. I do like the trade for Robinson less knowing we have Wright coming in. Maybe it works out well, and Robinson is a much longer term answer if she returns to form (being of age with Moore and Fowles), but in a deep draft the could've been at #12 haunts me a little.

PostPosted: 03/13/18 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Nurse falls to 12 It will be beyond mad! D-rob is not needed, I hope she proves me wrong but I think she is close to done.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/13/18 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

To be fair Ajavon was only guarding her that possession due to a switch that was made on a pick & roll . She did not guard glory the entire game.

She doesn’t get the minutes to guard anybody the whole game, and neither would Wright. I just brought up Ajavon as an example of a player available that can guard somebody bigger. I should have known that some people would make that the only thing they key on.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 03/13/18 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

I'm very superstitious, so I love this move, because it hopefully guarantees the Lynx will win a title, as I learned that the secret to winning WNBA Titltes is acquiring a (former) Liberty player:
2011: Taj McWilliams-Franklin
2012: Erlana Larkins
2013: Janel McCarville
2014: ?
2015: Anna Cruz
2016: Essence Carson (that's why I was sh*t scared all of 2016, because that signing gave it away to me that the Sparks were winning it all that year)
2017: I guess the New York Liberty Curse ignored Pierson's 2 prior years in Tulsa/Dallas? Or maybe it's like 2014.
2018: If so, the Lynx better win, and not the Sparks, because Cappie played with the Liberty 3 years, and two teams ago.

Now watch some team trade for Shoni Schimmel in order to try to outdo the Lynx, thanks to me. Cool

Not a bad case you make here. Pierson is still a former Liberty player, just not her immediate former team. Reeve has just turned giddy. What a roller coaster for her. Wink

If Schimmel goes to SEA and they win a championship (thereby making the Howard trade near worthless), it’s all your fault.

Last edited by Shades on 03/13/18 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 03/13/18 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh snaps, new look at their practice shirts. cannot waitttttt!

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/13/18 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynx fans are going to love T Wright. Hardworking hardnosed and very intelligent player. One of the best perimeter defenders that ive seen

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Randy

PostPosted: 03/13/18 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess this is the Empire Strikes Back moment.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/13/18 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Wright was basically brought in by Reeve to cover Moore for 10 minutes for defensive purposes only? Makes you wonder where Zandalasini will fit into the rotation?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
justintyme

PostPosted: 03/13/18 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
So Wright was basically brought in by Reeve to cover Moore for 10 minutes for defensive purposes only? Makes you wonder where Zandalasini will fit into the rotation?

Where she was always going to be. She is a rookie, she was never going to get big minutes under Reeve barring some miracle season.

PostPosted: 03/13/18 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota is doing Jones like they did Howard.Bringing in past their prime players to fill backup roles instead of giving a young talented 1st rd pick an opportunity to earn a spot in the rotation.Was this move really necessary ?...Minnesota could have waited until mid-season to sign Wright....Jones should demand a trade.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/13/18 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Just curious, did you read the article?

Quote:
"Tanisha has been a consummate utility player,'' Reeve said. "Whatever we'll need, she'll be able to do, whether that means playing behind [Seimone] Augustus, or helping out at point guard. I could see, at times, having a three-guard lineup of Robinson, [Alexix Jones] and Tanisha together.''

So Wright was brought in to be Seimone's backup with the added ability to help out at point if the rotation calls for it. She is a good enough defender that if Reeve chooses to play 3 guards, Wright can defend the opposing small forward. Note that she is specifically mentioning that she intends to have Jones in the rotation.

They hope to make Zandalasini into Moore's backup and Jones into Whalen's/Augustus' and they brought in two vets who can fill the gap while they develop. Basing what Reeve does this year on what she did in years past is short-sighted. She has been clearly stating for a year now that she knows a next generation needs to be on its way. They traded this year's 1st rounder away so they could focus on the young players they have but they've set it up so that they can make moves next season.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/13/18 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Minnesota is doing Jones like they did Howard.Bringing in past their prime players to fill backup roles instead of giving a young talented 1st rd pick an opportunity to earn a spot in the rotation.Was this move really necessary ?...Minnesota could have waited until mid-season to sign Wright....Jones should demand a trade.

Overreaction much?

Jones will get plenty of time to prove herself worthy of minutes and a larger role. But championship teams aren't interested in "developing" a player on the court, they want their best possible iteration out there winning games. Last year PP got a lot of minutes early, and Howard not so much. But as the year went on Howard ate into PP's minutes until she barely played.

There was something that PJ Fleck said last year that I love:
It is the coaches job to recruit (sign) every player's replacement; it is the players job to prove the coach wrong and keep their job.

PostPosted: 03/13/18 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

Overreaction much?

Not really....

Reeve has a history of limiting the PT of young players.Especially when she has veteran backups at her disposal...Jones will avg 10-12 minutes at the most.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/13/18 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Overreaction much?

Not really....

Reeve has a history of limiting the PT of young players.Especially when she has veteran backups at her disposal...Jones will avg 10-12 minutes at the most.

Of course these players play less. What we are saying is that is not a big deal. It's not Reeve limiting their play time, it's the players themselves. Reeve just plays whatever players she feels are most likely to win the game, whatever she feels her most reliable players are.

That is what should be done for a team in their Championship window. You're not looking to develop youth, you're looking to win games. And Reeve has demonstrated that if young players prove they belong out there, they will be out there.

PostPosted: 03/13/18 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
zune69 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Overreaction much?

Not really....

Of course these players play less. What we are saying is that is not a big deal. It's not Reeve limiting their play time, it's the players themselves. Reeve just plays whatever players she feels are most likely to win the game, whatever she feels her most reliable players are.

That is what should be done for a team in their Championship window. You're not looking to develop youth, you're looking to win games. And Reeve has demonstrated that if young players prove they belong out there, they will be out there.

Yeah, it was so sad how she didn't play Maya much in her rookie year.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/13/18 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so

Whalen/Robinson
Augustus/Wright/Jones
Moore/Zandalasini
Brunson/Kizer/Miyem
Fowles/Fagbenle

#17, #20, #24, #36

Are we sure both Euros will show? If yes for the whole season?

If so do any of the 2nd round draftees have a chance to knock someone off the current roster?

2nd round possibilities at #17, 20 and 24

unlikely falling to 17 but have been there in a couple of mocks

Atkins, Russell, Scaife, S. Thomas, Nared

much more likely to be there at Minny's 2nd round picks

Hines-Allen, Goodwyn,, McCarty, Gulich, Wagner, Muldrow, Flahrety, Greenwell, Buss, Jensen, Butler

or anyone from the wire?

wire possibilities
Hanson, George, Griffin, Banham, Bulgak, Hooper, R. Williams, Weise, Hamby, Coffey, McCall, Hooper, A. Taylor, Akhator, Lewis, Zahui B (maybe?), Lucas, Cannon, L. Montgomery, Peterson

Last edited by J-Spoon on 03/13/18 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/13/18 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

To be fair Ajavon was only guarding her that possession due to a switch that was made on a pick & roll . She did not guard glory the entire game.

She doesn’t get the minutes to guard anybody the whole game, and neither would Wright. I just brought up Ajavon as an example of a player available that can guard somebody bigger. I should have known that some people would make that the only thing they key on.

Ok i do apologize i did not understand what you were referring to shades no shade my friend!

PostPosted: 03/13/18 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Lynx fans are going to love T Wright. Hardworking hardnosed and very intelligent player. One of the best perimeter defenders that ive seen

+ This Non Lynx Fan ...T. Wright will be a great addition to this team leadership wise also.

PostPosted: 03/13/18 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would be shocked, barring injury, if this doesn't end up being the opening day lineup. I suppose some camp invite could just blow the coaches' socks off, but I'd bet against it.

I haven't followed the draft very closely this year, so I don't know what the international landscape looks like, but it would seem an ideal time to take a flier on someone not likely to show up to camp this year.

PostPosted: 03/13/18 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
so

Whalen/Robinson
Augustus/Wright/Jones
Moore/Zandalasini
Brunson/Kizer/Miyem
Fowles/Fagbenle

#17, #20, #24, #36

Are we sure both Euros will show? If yes for the whole season?

They were signed for this year's team, so barring unforseen circumstances, yes, they're expected to show. The only reason for either of them to miss time would be Miyem right at the end, for the same reason that Belgium only really wanted Meesseman to miss the playoffs - the Worlds are really tight to the end of the WNBA season, and France would probably like her for a full training camp. But I'd trust the Lynx to have asked about that beforehand, so I doubt she leaves before their season's over.

J-Spoon wrote:
If so do any of the 2nd round draftees have a chance to knock someone off the current roster?

Sure. I'd expect that 17th pick, all things being equal, to be a big who might challenge Fagbenle, or even Kizer/Miyem if they aren't fully healthy or struggle to adapt. A perimeter player's going to struggle to beat out any of the seven there already, but it depends on who might slide. Maya can be the 5th post if necessary, so if they fell in love with an 8th perimeter player in camp that player could still beat out a post.

But also, it's the Lynx - if nobody slides that they actually like and want to see in camp, one of the various foreign options is a definite possibility. Vadeeva will surely be gone, but that still leaves Musina, Chartereau, Park Ji-Su and some other less known names.

PostPosted: 03/14/18 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Zahui B (maybe?)

If you guys want to cut one of the candidates for EuroLeague Player of the Year, you’re definitely getting the season off on the wrong foot.

Oh, and the Lynx don’t have #20. The pick they get is for 2019.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/14/18 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Zahui B (maybe?)

If you guys want to cut one of the candidates for EuroLeague Player of the Year, you’re definitely getting the season off on the wrong foot.

Oh, and the Lynx don’t have #20. The pick they get is for 2019.

I don't want to cut Zahui B I'm really hoping this is her year, but I put her closest to the bubble of our 4 posts, with B. Allen closest to the bubble of the wings and L. Allen closest to the bubble of the guards. Those three and the #10 draft pick are currently players 9-12 on the roster, so if anyone else steps up it would be one of those four who lose their spot. ATM I kind of hope we go with last years 11 and the draft pick (unless we have great trade on the horizon), but it was pointed out how rare it is for teams to have that kind of year to year continuity.

OTOH Zagui B had a great over seas season last year which did not translate to her W season, so who knows if her great season this year will translate?

Randy

PostPosted: 03/14/18 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
zune69 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Overreaction much?

Not really....

I kind of like this approach - win now, and when the curtain drops you are in the lottery. About half of the teams have never won a single championship - developing young players isn't always the answer. Where I disagree with a move like this is when a team that is not a real contender dumps a draft pick or benches a promising young player for a vet that is running out of time.

Of course, as we've seen from Houston and Sacramento - winning a championship(s) is no assurance the team will prosper after the glory days are over.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 13 of 26

Jump to: