RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHoops

PostPosted: 06/28/18 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Why on earth did they have her travel, do the take over, constantly comment on her "style" if they were going to cut her?

pilight wrote:
If Cappie is done, this is a sad way for her illustrious career to end

I know it's a business but I truly hate how things go down for vets in this league. I was thinking about Latta earlier and please don't get me started on the "goodbye" or lack thereof the league did for Swoopes after all of the promo etc. she was doing for Seattle!!

Lol @ Agler's sorry two faced ass! Crying a bucket of tears for Candace when she didn't get selected for Team USA but basically did the same to Cappie. Y'all Sparks fans are a little too friendly right now and not up in arms like you were for Ace..remember it was the principle right? I knew y'all were just being petty fools at Geno. Once again, I'll be the one to call ppl out on their double standards and BS

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/29/18 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Maybe Diarra is coming back? Wink

Coming back where? Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 06/29/18 5:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Maybe Diarra is coming back? Wink
The way they have been playing lately it is more like diarrhea is already here.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 06/29/18 5:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
Why on earth did they have her travel, do the take over, constantly comment on her "style" if they were going to cut her?

pilight wrote:

I know it's a business but I truly hate how things go down for vets in this league. I was thinking about Latta earlier and please don't get me started on the "goodbye" or lack thereof the league did for Swoopes after all of the promo etc. she was doing for Seattle!!

Lol @ Agler's sorry two faced ass! Crying a bucket of tears for Candace when she didn't get selected for Team USA but basically did the same to Cappie. Y'all Sparks fans are a little too friendly right now and not up in arms like you were for Ace..remember it was the principle right? I knew y'all were just being petty fools at Geno. Once again, I'll be the one to call ppl out on their double standards and BS

No double standards here. I'm definitely not pleased with how this went down. I didn't understand why she wasn't getting playing time, but noticed that she seemed a bit tentative which i attributed it to her learning the system. I don't know if we'll ever get the full story. I just need everybody to get fully engaged, healthy and for Sims to find her swag again!

toad455

PostPosted: 06/29/18 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks can now do a string of 7-day contracts. They had, what, 30 players in their camp? They could give each one a one week contract if they wanted.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/29/18 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So every veteran player gets a goodbye tour?

Pondexter's release is how almost every story ends in professional sports. Players believe they can play at the highest level when they can't any more -- only a few recognize when it's time to call it quits.

Those who do see their abilities clearly will announce their retirement before the last year of their contract, and then (and only then) do they get any kind of goodbye.

Cappie was a great player at one point; right now, she's not good enough to get a roster spot. Time is the avenger (bonus points for naming songwriter) ...

PostPosted: 06/29/18 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Time is the avenger (bonus points for naming songwriter) ...

Enrik Garcia, right? I would not have picked you as a fan of Spanish Neoclassial Metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_n_T-BQlvU

PostPosted: 06/29/18 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
No double standards here. I'm definitely not pleased with how this went down. I didn't understand why she wasn't getting playing time, but noticed that she seemed a bit tentative which i attributed it to her learning the system. I don't know if we'll ever get the full story. I just need everybody to get fully engaged, healthy and for Sims to find her swag again!

She wasn't getting playing time because the Sparks have five better perimeter players on their roster, and then you can argue over Cappie, Samuelson and Wiese. This isn't particularly complicated, and was an obvious situation before she even signed there.

That said, the timing was weird. It's a brief two-game roadtrip, and they could've cut her either before or after it (both would've still come before the contract guarantee date). Suggests that maybe some kind of straw may have broken the camel's back while they were in Seattle.

PostPosted: 06/29/18 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dabovic seems like the obvious choice if Agler wants another guard. Otherwise maybe Gruda comes back? Mistie Bass?

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/29/18 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Time is the avenger (bonus points for naming songwriter) ...

Enrik Garcia, right? I would not have picked you as a fan of Spanish Neoclassial Metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_n_T-BQlvU

I was an early adopter of metal in my time as a rock critic, but actually I was aiming for the Pretenders -- "Time the Avenger," Chrissy Hynde.

PostPosted: 06/29/18 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

She wasn't getting playing time because the Sparks have five better perimeter players on their roster, and then you can argue over Cappie, Samuelson and Wiese. This isn't particularly complicated, and was an obvious situation before she even signed there.

That said, the timing was weird. It's a brief two-game roadtrip, and they could've cut her either before or after it (both would've still come before the contract guarantee date). Suggests that maybe some kind of straw may have broken the camel's back while they were in Seattle.

Not necessarily. I think Agler's reasoning is adequate in that he has three guards who already know his system. I don't think its anything that Cappie did either. If Cappie was that big of a problem, they would have waived her way before then. Cappie knew the situation in LA when she signed. It is sad to possibly see her end her career like this but, it is what it is. She knows and understands that it is a business. I am hoping that she will get picked up by another team. I was hoping she would last long enough to see LA play Phoenix. Now there is no need for me to go watch her play for one last time.

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 06/29/18 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

pilight wrote:

Lol. Only difference is CP3 is CP3 and is/was playing at a high level, Cappie not so much. I still dont agree with the timing but eh. Sidnt even get to see Cap live in purple and gold smh

PostPosted: 06/29/18 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/23938800/2-wnba-champ-cappie-pondexter-released-los-angeles-sparks

Quote:
"We really enjoyed having her on our team," Agler said. "It came down to playing time, her desire to play more. We just couldn't provide that for her with the way Riquna [Williams] and Odyssey [Sims] are playing."

Pondexter, who averaged 27.2 minutes last year with the Chicago Sky, was averaging a career-low 10.2 minutes in 13 games this season, her first with the Sparks. She was playing behind both Sims (27.2 mpg) and Williams (14.4 mpg) at shooting guard and making just 35 percent of her shot attempts, also a career low.

The move came three days before Sunday's WNBA deadline to release players before their contracts become guaranteed for the rest of the season. Agler says he believes the timing will benefit both parties.

"Now she has the ability to talk to 11 other teams," Agler said, "and we have the ability now to free up cap space to potentially sign somebody else."

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/29/18 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^^^ That was the most revealing, waived player article I've seen from this league. Shocked

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/29/18 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

Not necessarily. I think Agler's reasoning is adequate in that he has three guards who already know his system. I don't think its anything that Cappie did either. If Cappie was that big of a problem, they would have waived her way before then. Cappie knew the situation in LA when she signed. It is sad to possibly see her end her career like this but, it is what it is. She knows and understands that it is a business. I am hoping that she will get picked up by another team. I was hoping she would last long enough to see LA play Phoenix. Now there is no need for me to go watch her play for one last time.

But why do it that day when you've already taken her to Seattle, when there's no drawback to doing it either before you leave or after you get back? Just seems odd. If nothing else, doing it a day earlier saves the franchise the price of a plane ticket (or allows them to take someone else).

PostPosted: 06/29/18 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Pondexter's release is how almost every story ends in professional sports.

Confused

Not really.

Players with careers at Cappie's level don't often get cut in the middle of a season, especially so recently after joining a new team.

Kailapea

PostPosted: 06/29/18 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Pondexter's release is how almost every story ends in professional sports.

Confused

Not really.

Players with careers at Cappie's level don't often get cut in the middle of a season, especially so recently after joining a new team.

Word here is Los Angeles is the Cappie was not happy in her role on the Sparks. With Riquanna and Odyssey playing so well, she got moved down the bench (about next to Weisse) and had allegedly been quite vocal about her opinion, as was her mother (loudly in the stands). No team need that kind of distraction, while trying to win games.

Though I don't think it was done professionally (as someone else said, why have her travel and then release her). But who knows what was said or done to cause that to occur.

Never thought Cappie was a good fit in with the guard heavy Sparks, but hope it's not her last rodeo.

PostPosted: 06/29/18 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kailapea wrote:
Word here is Los Angeles is the Cappie was not happy in her role on the Sparks. With Riquanna and Odyssey playing so well, she got moved down the bench (about next to Weisse) and had allegedly been quite vocal about her opinion, as was her mother (loudly in the stands). No team need that kind of distraction, while trying to win games.

Which begs the question, who on Earth is Cappie's agent? The depth chart before she got to the Sparks:

Gray/Wiese
Sims/Williams
Beard/Carson

Either Cappie and her agent are just ignorant, or maybe Agler promised her something and reneged.

But the point still remains, this team was already deep at the wing, I thought Cappie signed to just to get a ring, not be an integral part..

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/29/18 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In fairness, when she signed most of us expected Williams to be gone one way or another by the start of the season. Maybe Cappie and her agent did too. At that point she could've been the third guard behind Gray and Sims (the expected backcourt before Agler went back to Beard/Carson on the wing together).

The real problem is that she just isn't good any more. This is often something other people notice before great players are willing to accept it themselves.

PostPosted: 06/29/18 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

But why do it that day when you've already taken her to Seattle, when there's no drawback to doing it either before you leave or after you get back? Just seems odd. If nothing else, doing it a day earlier saves the franchise the price of a plane ticket (or allows them to take someone else).

While what you say is logical, I suspect there is more to the story. Perhaps after they arrived in Seattle she made a demand or blew up in some way. Not saying that happened but it could explain the timing. She really has looked like more of a liability [me, me, me] than a positive in her moments on the court so from a performance point of view, it's totally understandable. It's always sad when a talented player reaches the end of their career but really for a grand farewell tour, it more often happens if a player has stuck with the same team over a longer period of time.

- Amanda Gorman
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/29/18 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
In fairness, when she signed most of us expected Williams to be gone one way or another by the start of the season. Maybe Cappie and her agent did too.

Fair. I didn't think that was a serious possibility (thought Williams would remain with the Sparks before and after Cappie signed), but could definitely see that angle.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 06/29/18 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

While what you say is logical, I suspect there is more to the story. Perhaps after they arrived in Seattle she made a demand or blew up in some way. Not saying that happened but it could explain the timing. She really has looked like more of a liability [me, me, me] than a positive in her moments on the court so from a performance point of view, it's totally understandable. It's always sad when a talented player reaches the end of their career but really for a grand farewell tour, it more often happens if a player has stuck with the same team over a longer period of time.

THIS

toad455

PostPosted: 06/29/18 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There aren't too many teams in need of a guard(Phoenix, Vegas, Atlanta) so I do wonder if she's done. She went there to win one more title, so she should have sucked it up and sat on the bench

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/29/18 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

While what you say is logical, I suspect there is more to the story. Perhaps after they arrived in Seattle she made a demand or blew up in some way. Not saying that happened but it could explain the timing.

That was pretty much what I was suggesting too - that something probably happened in Seattle, because otherwise cutting her right then didn't make a lot of sense.

PostPosted: 07/06/18 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Confused google's search a.i. found an "odd" data point :

Evgeniya Belyakova
Russian basketball player
Image result for Evgeniya Belyakova
Evgeniya Alexandrovna Belyakova is a Russian professional basketball player for the Los Angeles Sparks of the Women's National Basketball Association. Wikipedia
Born: June 27, 1986, Saint Petersburg, Russia
Died: Saint Petersburg, Russia
Height: 6′ 0″
Weight: 159 lbs
Current team: UMMC Ekaterinburg (#5 / Forward)
Date joined: 2016 (Los Angeles Sparks)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: