RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dan Hughes named coach of Storm
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigur3

PostPosted: 10/03/17 10:51 pm    ::: Dan Hughes named coach of Storm Reply Reply with quote

per Feinberg

Speebs56

PostPosted: 10/03/17 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, dear....really? not sure how I feel about that...

Rolling Eyes

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/04/17 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not really sure how i feel about this. Dont know if he is the right fit for this team. What happens to Kloppenburg? Back to being an assistent?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/04/17 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice... Perhaps Dan could lend some of his GM skills as well to the franchise. No more trading their 1st round pick for a backup center Exclamation

And of course, Dan always likes to run the 3-guard lineup, so looks like that's where SEA is headed Idea

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/04/17 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

very interesting....I thought he was stepping down at SAS on his own power but apparently he got shoved.... Well it will be interesting to see what he does with more talent.

- Amanda Gorman
Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/04/17 2:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
very interesting....I thought he was stepping down at SAS on his own power but apparently he got shoved.... Well it will be interesting to see what he does with more talent.

Or he wanted to give Vickie a chance at being a headcoach and now he is ready for a new challenge

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
miller40

PostPosted: 10/04/17 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Or he wanted to give Vickie a chance at being a headcoach and now he is ready for a new challenge

Or he just got tired of retirement.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/04/17 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

ding ding ding

pilight

PostPosted: 10/04/17 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I don't think he really wanted to retire, but he saw the writing on the wall in San Antonio and got out on his own terms.

PostPosted: 10/04/17 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

ding ding ding

Is he going to be GM too (or otherwise be made personnel czar) or just be coach?

Genero36

PostPosted: 10/04/17 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Dan. I hope it works out for him and the Storm.

PostPosted: 10/04/17 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I don't think he really wanted to retire, but he saw the writing on the wall in San Antonio and got out on his own terms.

He was looking for new challenges; he had told me he was considering some offers to coach international teams.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/04/17 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know who would have been a better choice, but this feels quite uninspiring to me.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/04/17 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sounds like once he submitted his application Alisha didnt even bother to accept anyone elses. Seattle still moving backwards in my opinion, But id rather have him than fred so ill just be quiet Embarassed

PostPosted: 10/04/17 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Awful sportscaster, poor General Manager, excellent teacher of the game, better than average coach. He should do well for Seattle as a coach. No fucking trades!

Ironically, he stupidly gave away Stewart to Seattle and now the basketball gods have blessed him.

Thanks Dan for burying the shit out of SAS but I'll be rooting for your success in Seattle.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/04/17 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Awful sportscaster, poor General Manager, excellent teacher of the game, better than average coach. He should do well for Seattle as a coach. No fucking trades!

Ironically, he stupidly gave away Stewart to Seattle and now the basketball gods have blessed him.

Thanks Dan for burying the shit out of SAS but I'll be rooting for your success in Seattle.

May be the king of burying a franchise....

PostPosted: 10/04/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe he just really likes coaching but doesn't like the responsibility of building a team.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/04/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
pilight wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

He was looking for new challenges; he had told me he was considering some offers to coach international teams.

yeah, retirement doesn't suit everyone. Maybe his wife told him to get out of the house too. It works both ways. Anyway he is likeable in a curmudgeonly way. I wish him well.
Answer to above question: no he won't be the GM.
I wonder if Klop will be given another shot somewhere.

- Amanda Gorman
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/04/17 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to add some context, Hughes has a losing record for his career.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/04/17 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two articles from The Seattle Times:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/dan-hughes-comes-out-of-retirement-and-takes-a-chance-on-the-storm/

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/dan-hughes-comes-out-of-retirement-and-takes-a-chance-on-the-storm/

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/04/17 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

ding ding ding

Is he going to be GM too (or otherwise be made personnel czar) or just be coach?

from announcement:

“We are thrilled to welcome Dan to the Seattle Storm organization,” said President & General Manager Alisha Valavanis. “Dan is one of the most well-respected coaches in our league. His experience in the WNBA and as a leader in USA Basketball is a wonderful match for our developing team.”

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/04/17 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Two articles from The Seattle Times:

Take a chance on the Storm? More like take a chance on Hughes. They hired a lifetime losing coach lead a team with two of the best young stars in the league. He's a baffling Becky Hammon trade away from having not just a losing record, but a bad one.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/04/17 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He comes Birdy-approved. What else needs to be said?

Quote:
“I am excited to get in the gym with Coach Hughes,” said Bird. “We have crossed paths a lot, both in playing against each other in the WNBA and in our time together with USA Basketball. He demands a lot from his players, and I know our team will respond as we work to return championship basketball to Seattle.”

He couldn't build up a team. Let's see what he can do with a team already built, plus he gets that tastey #5 pick.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 10/04/17 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best he could get as a starting center while in San Antonio was Jayne Appel. Frequent 6th woman Perkins left, lack of being able to bring in vets and couldn't build a team around Becky Hammon.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 10/04/17 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Best he could get as a starting center while in San Antonio was Jayne Appel. Frequent 6th woman Perkins left, lack of being able to bring in vets and couldn't build a team around Becky Hammon.

He did go to the 2008 Finals, when Sophia Young had an MVP-worthy season.
I dunno... I like this move better than keeping Klop.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: