48%
 48%  [ 21 ]
Lynx
51%
 51%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 43

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/05/17 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on the Augustus interview, the full version of Whalen's nickname from her teammates is "Wheezy F. Whalen", of the Penny F. Taylor vein.

PostPosted: 10/05/17 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the Lynx and their veterans. Hope they will be just as good next year but am afraid father time may catch up with them.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/05/17 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Based on the Augustus interview, the full version of Whalen's nickname from her teammates is "Wheezy F. Whalen", of the Penny F. Taylor vein.

Or Maybe of the Lil Wayne aka Weezy F. Baby Vein...

PostPosted: 10/05/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Of course it takes some luck, some good decisions and some coaching as well.

The path to Minnesota's championships actually began with a bad decision: trading Katie Smith for Chandi Jones and Shona Thorburn. Without that, they're never in position to draft Seimone Augustus, the first piece of the dynasty puzzle.

PostPosted: 10/05/17 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Who?

PostPosted: 10/05/17 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

The path to Minnesota's championships actually began with a bad decision: trading Katie Smith for Chandi Jones and Shona Thorburn. Without that, they're never in position to draft Seimone Augustus, the first piece of the dynasty puzzle.

Was that really a bad decision? Rebuilding in sports typically involves bottoming out. Selling off your high end assets for peanuts so you can all out suck instead of tread water in low-end mediocrity.

PostPosted: 10/05/17 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm absolutely thrilled that Jia got a title. She has become one of my favorite players.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/05/17 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Who?

Lil Wayne the rapper Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 10/05/17 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the Lynx the City and their fans. Perkins finally got ring and I'm happy for her.

Fowles was a unstoppable force and she deserves her 2nd title and finals MVP. I don't think Minny would have got another title without Brunson did.

Sims made me a fan. I love how she was fighting to the end. Nneka didnt stop Fowles but I respect the fact she tried and was willing to take on the challenge. I have a new found respect for Candace for the effort she put forward on both sides. I have a soft spot for Gray and Beard. I love to have Lav and Carson back. Riquana William had good mins in game 4 and 5 and I hope she has a healthy season in 2018.Im disappointed that LA lost but I enjoyed watching my Sparks.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/05/17 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
Congrats to the Lynx the City and their fans. Perkins finally got ring and I'm happy for her.

Fowles was a unstoppable force and she deserves her 2nd title and finals MVP. I don't think Minny would have got another title without Brunson did.

Sims made me a fan. I love how she was fighting to the end. Nneka didnt stop Fowles but I respect the fact she tried and was willing to take on the challenge. I have a new found respect for Candace for the effort she put forward on both sides. I have a soft spot for Gray and Beard. I love to have Lav and Carson back. Riquana William had good mins in game 4 and 5 and I hope she has a healthy season in 2018.Im disappointed that LA lost but I enjoyed watching my Sparks.

X_______

yeah the sparks fought hard , I wouldnt mind watching these two play 34 times next season and just let everyone else have the season off to think of a master plan !

PostPosted: 10/05/17 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the Lynx! They were the better team, with the more transcendent star, and with better supporting players, and they deserve the trophy.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/05/17 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Was that really a bad decision? Rebuilding in sports typically involves bottoming out. Selling off your high end assets for peanuts so you can all out suck instead of tread water in low-end mediocrity.

I thought tanking was evil though. Wink

Congrats to the Lynx. One Look at Lindsey's face tonight, and I knew what way this one was going to go. Happy to see her win at her original home court.

Minnesota is coming to an end to their dominance, IMO. Whalen, SA, and Brunson are getting old..and there isn't much behind them. But for right now, they are still the best and most complete team in the league.

PostPosted: 10/05/17 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shout out to the Sparks for a great series. Love Nneka & Beard and sometimes CP3. Lol.

So happy for my team! You deserve this Lynx!!!

Shades

PostPosted: 10/05/17 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I'm sure the way you're selling it wasn't the intention. It's not like they were a playoff team with Smith.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 10/05/17 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I'm sure the way you're selling it wasn't the intention. It's not like they were a playoff team with Smith.

The Lynx made the playoffs in 2003 and 2004 before trading Smith in 2005. They were 11-12 at the time of the trade, still solidly in playoff contention. The final western playoff team was the Sparks, who finished 17-17 and were the same 11-12 as Minnesota when Smith was traded.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 2:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the Minnesota Lynx.I've been critical of Reeve over the years.It's only fair that I acknowledge the great job she did in the finals.

1.Sitting Brunson/Whalen for most of game 3,and conserving their energy for games 4/5 was very smart(minutes Gm 3:31 Gm 4:62 Gm 5:66).

2.Reeve did a great job of not abandoning Brunson for the small lineup.After game 3,most people thought going small would give minny their best chance of winning the series.Reeve gave Brunson some words of encouragement,played her big minutes in gms 4/5,and it paid off.

3.Reeve wasn't afraid to play Jones in game 3.The lynx made a great comeback lead by Jones and the bench.Of course the poor play of Augustus/Whalen was the biggest factor in Jones getting more minutes.But still,kudos to Reeve for sticking with Jones even when the game was up for grabs in the 4th quarter.

4.And despite Reeve's loyalty,she benched Pierson in favor of Howard,much to my surprise.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/06/17 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reeve outcoached Agler by a mile in that series

PostPosted: 10/06/17 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I disagree with this...I don't remember Agler making any terrible coaching moves in this series....LA had their chance to close minny out in gm 4....But they choked....Parker/Gray were shooting air balls(6-19),Nneka was missing wide open shots,Fowles/Brunson destroyed LA's frontline.....I can't blame Agler for that.....He was coaching his ass off imo...What was he suppose to do ? When your two best offensive players shot 6-19,you're going to lose the basketball game.....I don't believe Agler was bad,Reeve was just better.Minny's new assistant coach(James Wade) also deserves some credit.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/06/17 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Agler didn't miss nine of ten three-pointers, as Nneka did. Not saying she should be making 50%, but she should do better than that.

Agler wasn't the one missing midrange shots she normally makes, as Jantel Lavender did.

Agler put Riquna Williams in for her supposedly dead-eye shooting; Cheryl Reeve rolled the dice on Alexis Jones, who had done almost nothing during the year, and got four three-pointers. (You might call that coaching; I call it more luck than design.)

Again, in a series like this between evenly matched teams, you have to make shots -- Rebekkah Brunson made hers in games four and five, and the Sparks didn't.

And finally, how exactly could L.A. counter Brunson and Fowles in the paint? You can say Agler constructed the roster incorrectly, but that wasn't being outcoached.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA snap chat showed Syl towards the end of the game screaming "this is our f&%*#@!" over and over again. It was AWESOME. #thatsmyMVP

StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/06/17 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://m.startribune.com/rebekkah-brunson-says-she-wouldn-t-go-if-lynx-invited-to-white-house/449693073/

PostPosted: 10/06/17 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jones might have been partly luck, but she shot 38% from three during the season and 47% from there in her last 10 regular season games. Agler had a 40% three-point shooter on his bench. She couldn't get on the floor. Instead he let Odyssey Sims, 19% from three on the season and 27% for her career, take 19 of them in five games. Agler got lucky in that she hit seven, well above any reasonable expectation.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Jones might have been partly luck, but she shot 38% from three during the season and 47% from there in her last 10 regular season games. Agler had a 40% three-point shooter on his bench. She couldn't get on the floor. Instead he let Odyssey Sims, 19% from three on the season and 27% for her career, take 19 of them in five games. Agler got lucky in that she hit seven, well above any reasonable expectation.

But who was Sydney Wiese going to guard?

PostPosted: 10/06/17 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
pilight wrote:

But who was Sydney Wiese going to guard?

Who did Alexis Jones guard?

I've always been a subscriber to the Whitey Herzog theory of roster management. If you can't use a player at a critical time, get rid of 'em.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
pilight wrote:

Agler didn't miss nine of ten three-pointers, as Nneka did. Not saying she should be making 50%, but she should do better than that.

Agler wasn't the one missing midrange shots she normally makes, as Jantel Lavender did.

Agler put Riquna Williams in for her supposedly dead-eye shooting; Cheryl Reeve rolled the dice on Alexis Jones, who had done almost nothing during the year, and got four three-pointers. (You might call that coaching; I call it more luck than design.)

Again, in a series like this between evenly matched teams, you have to make shots -- Rebekkah Brunson made hers in games four and five, and the Sparks didn't.

And finally, how exactly could L.A. counter Brunson and Fowles in the paint? You can say Agler constructed the roster incorrectly, but that wasn't being outcoached.

I actually agree with both of you here. Reeve did outcoach Agler by a mile in this series, but it wasn't Agler's fault the Sparks lost. Agler did a very good job coaching his team. He ran good plays and had them well prepared.

But Reeve was just on another level. She was just dialed in to the pulse of the game and was willing to make the hard calls on her players all series long. Even going as far to reorder her bench from what it had been all season long as she played the match-ups. She also resisted the temptation to go with the small line-up even though so many of us (myself included) were calling for it. Instead she challenged her posts and they rose to the challenge and more. She also managed to keep herself in check and not give up free points with techs, while still keeping up the intensity that her teams feed off. This series was one of the best coaching performances I have ever seen (up there with Lyn Dunn's coaching in 2012, where she outcoached Reeve by a good margin--something that Reeve I am sure would agree with).

During the Championship Parade, they interviewed Shelley Patterson who, unprompted, started lavishing praise on Reeve. She noted that over her career she had coached with some of the greats: Van Chancellor and Brian Agler amongst them, and Reeve is by far the best coach she has ever worked for. James Wade agreed.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: