Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerd2

PostPosted: 01/17/18 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I see a team like PHX maybe or ATL throwing money at Howard which will force minny to make a tough decision.

It's not a tough decision.

You think they would let T-Ho walk?

No, she's a lock. Read through the Minny thread.

I just read through the Minny thread. You basically read one article written in October that said
Quote:
Backup forward Natasha Howard — who was pressed into playing the small forward position this season — is a restricted free agent, but the club wants her back.

This is not the same as "she is a lock to be back." Yes, they can match any offer if they choose but will they if the offer is max and the chance to start somewhere? Would you really pay max for a bench player to back up Brunson and Moore when it would probably limit the roster to 11 again? I'm looking forward to finding out but I sure don't feel confident enough to bet money on it.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/17/18 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
There's also the little matter of Laimbeer liking defense and physical play. Does that sound like DuPree?

Did anyone suggest Bone for DuPree yet? I thought I saw it somewhere. Aging talent for high maintenance but still young talent.

I highly doubt Dupree & Taurasi will be teammates again.

PostPosted: 01/17/18 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only question I have after reading this thread is why do so many people, think Bonner and Dupree want to play/ has to play on the same team? Plenty of people work jobs that require them to be away from their kids.

And I believe Dupree has played apart from a Partner in the past.
Nerd2

PostPosted: 01/17/18 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
The only question I have after reading this thread is why do so many people, think Bonner and Dupree want to play/ has to play on the same team? Plenty of people work jobs that require them to be away from their kids.

Because Dupree was quoted in an article saying so.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 01/17/18 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:

Because Dupree was quoted in an article saying so.

Well that changes things, best of luck to them on making it happen.
Queenie

PostPosted: 01/17/18 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point, I assume Indiana's going to acquire Dupree, and then draft Mavunga, just to hammer home the whole "keep it in the family" theme and have *two* sets of family stories to tell.

(now with spelling variations)
root_thing

PostPosted: 01/17/18 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

Why? I haven't seen anything about them not getting along. On the other hand, I seem to remember a quote from Taurasi saying Phoenix needs Bonner back. If Bonner and Dupree are a package, then Diana has to choose -- both or nothing.

PostPosted: 01/17/18 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Why? I haven't seen anything about them not getting along. On the other hand, I seem to remember a quote from Taurasi saying Phoenix needs Bonner back. If Bonner and Dupree are a package, then Diana has to choose -- both or nothing.

Should've clarified that, not necessarily saying it's true or anything but just hearsay.

It would also be a tad bit weird of the Mercury to trade back for Dupree a year later after they already got rid of her regardless of her relationship with Bonner, but stranger things have happened and players run this league more so than GMs.

PostPosted: 01/17/18 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
root_thing wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Should've clarified that, not necessarily saying it's true or anything but just hearsay.

It would also be a tad bit weird of the Mercury to trade back for Dupree a year later after they already got rid of her regardless of her relationship with Bonner, but stranger things have happened and players run this league more so than GMs.

See Planet Reed.

PostPosted: 01/23/18 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:

I just read through the Minny thread. You basically read one article written in October that said
Quote:
Backup forward Natasha Howard — who was pressed into playing the small forward position this season — is a restricted free agent, but the club wants her back.

This is not the same as "she is a lock to be back." Yes, they can match any offer if they choose but will they if the offer is max and the chance to start somewhere?

First of all, why would the Lynx care if Howard had the chance to start for another team? They're not running a girl scout troop. They're in the business of winning championships. Also, not all players value starting more than winning championships or being in a great sports environment like the Lynx. You probably have forgotten (again) that Montgomery was offered a starting gig with the Liberty and passed on it to stay with the Lynx. Pierson went from a club that she'd likely get more playing time to the Lynx.

So yeah, I've been wanting Howard back with the team and the article confirms that they want her back. There's good reason for wanting her back. She obviously gets along well with the team, and the Lynx already know what they're getting with Howard. There's no gambling involved. The Lynx aren't into gambling with the championship window getting smaller.

Nerd2 wrote:
Would you really pay max for a bench player to back up Brunson and Moore when it would probably limit the roster to 11 again?

Is this a serious question? A part of me admittedly would prefer they could go with 12 just so they might possibly give a rookie from the Gophers a free ride on the roster like they did in 2015, but NOT at the expense of putting together the best possible roster. That's the problem. Most fans and obviously most teams think it's such a terrible idea to go with 11, when actually it's brilliant. It's worked very well for the Lynx the past two years. The Lynx got cheated out of a championship in 2016 going with 11. Losing that championship had nothing to do with only having 11. And in 2017, the Lynx got even more creative by going with 11 most of the year until they could afford to add a prorated contract of a free agent. The Lynx are smart and I hope Reeve is able to retain some of what's she's learned. Most teams have rotations that go down as far as 9 players. Why are 12 players seen as so vital when it just dilutes the team?

Would you pay max for a bench player? That's what the Lynx have been doing with Jia Perkins. The Lynx felt it was necessary to have a good vet backup for Augustus since she was getting these chronic overuse injuries. Now that Augustus has retired from overseas play, those type of injuries fade away. It's not as necessary to pour big money into a player to backup Augustus, especially in a position that is abundant with talented players. With Perkins she only played one position. With Howard, as you've already pointed out, she can play two positions, so you're getting extra value for your max money. If Perkins is staying, she has to stomach a big pay cut. That cut alone will pay for most of Howard's raise. That's before you even consider Pierson's retirement and the Lynx seeming to want to lean toward Jones over Montgomery.

So yeah, I don't mind the Lynx paying Howard whatever they have to keep her and I expect them to do just that. She's a rare young vet (for the Lynx) and probably one the building blocks of the future. By saving money in the guard corps, they might even have enough money left over to to pursue Breland or preferrably Kizer, which would be really sweet. I wanted Langhorne, but she got cored, so I don't think that'd be too realistic of a direction to go, unless SEA is interested in Fagbenle or the rights to some of our foreign players.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nerd2

PostPosted: 01/23/18 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
You probably have forgotten (again) that Montgomery was offered a starting gig with the Liberty and passed on it to stay with the Lynx.

Different players, different points in their careers. What Montgomery or Perkins did does not indicate what Howard might do. My point all along has been that it was premature to jump to conclusions. As it happens I've already heard some of the plans so I have my answer.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/23/18 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:
You probably have forgotten (again) that Montgomery was offered a starting gig with the Liberty and passed on it to stay with the Lynx.

Different players, different points in their careers. What Montgomery or Perkins did does not indicate what Howard might do. My point all along has been that it was premature to jump to conclusions. As it happens I've already heard some of the plans so I have my answer.

oooh please do spill Nerd ? I need some Minnesota news !! Shocked

PostPosted: 01/23/18 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:

What do you think of Minnesota's backup PG situation?

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/23/18 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I have no idea what everybody is talking about. 😡

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/24/18 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

If they go into the season expecting it to be Alexis Jones it'll be about 10 days before Reeve realises she's under 30 and goes searching for a veteran alternative.

PostPosted: 01/24/18 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
As it happens I've already heard some of the plans so I have my answer.

*sends a DM to Nerd2 for some tea* Laughing

PostPosted: 01/28/18 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
WomensBasketball247 @womensbball247
The Aces will have a new small forward coming to town...

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/28/18 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hmmmmmmmmm. Hearing its a go big or go home type of deal.

PostPosted: 01/28/18 2:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Easy guess Mo Currie (She is womensbasketball247)

Go big go home guess #1 pick for Angel.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/28/18 6:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm guessing Angel to Vegas for the #1 pick.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 01/28/18 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Work for me.

I can see Vegas then signing UFA;s Erika and Sancho, trading a 3rd rounder for rights to Shoni and they have put the Dream back together. Laughing

sigur3

PostPosted: 01/28/18 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Gonna have a player coach reunion on the west coast... #WNBAFreeAgency

By the way west coast as in "western conference"

Randy

PostPosted: 01/28/18 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina for No. 1..... Question Or Angel to Dallas?

toad455

PostPosted: 01/28/18 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could Tina & Angel be heading to Vegas? Though I still think Stokes ends up with Vegas.

Angel for the Aces #1 pick & Stokes to the Aces for Alexander?

PG: Jefferson/Plum
SG: McBride/Holmes
SF: McCoughtry/Montgomery/Coffey
PF: Hamby/#13 pick/Burdick
C: Harrison/Stokes

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 01/28/18 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course, it could be as boring as Cruz or Peters to MN. Or Erika to Dallas. O'Hea to LA. Lots of possibilities, most of them not interesting or important at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 5 of 23

Jump to: