RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

It was 60 years ago today...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/25/17 10:06 pm    ::: It was 60 years ago today... Reply Reply with quote

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/0925.html#article

President Sends Troops to Little Rock, Federalizes Arkansas National Guard; Tells Nation He Acted to Avoid An Anarchy

Washington, Sept. 24--President Eisenhower sent Federal troops to Little Rock, Ark., today to open the way for the admission of nine Negro pupils to Central High School[/b]

Ike, the last legitimately-elected Republican POTUS, and the last of the "decent" Republicans.

He probably would be a leftwing democrat in today's political atmosphere.

Here's a speech from 4/16/53:

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter with a half-million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. . . . This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."

PostPosted: 09/26/17 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eisenhower was a Democrat then, and well to the left of the guy who followed him as president

PostPosted: 09/26/17 9:47 pm    ::: Re: It was 60 years ago today... Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Ike, the last legitimately-elected Republican POTUS

What the hell is this nonsense all about?

You going to tell us next that Reagan beating Mondale by 17 million votes (18%) was the result of voter suppression or something?

You've really gone off the deep end recently.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 09/27/17 4:10 pm    ::: Re: It was 60 years ago today... Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

You going to tell us next that Reagan beating Mondale by 17 million votes (18%) was the result of voter suppression or something?

You've really forgotten Iran Contra? Oh, but that was Reagan-Carter, you'll reply, (and why you hold up 1984 as proof i'm wrong).

Can't have one w/o the other.

PostPosted: 09/27/17 4:35 pm    ::: Re: It was 60 years ago today... Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

You've really forgotten Iran Contra? Oh, but that was Reagan-Carter, you'll reply, (and why you hold up 1984 as proof i'm wrong).

What does that have to do with being "legitimately elected"?

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/27/17 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Eisenhower was a Democrat then, and well to the left of the guy who followed him as president

Pre Civil Rights this doesn't mean the same thing.

PostPosted: 09/27/17 9:14 pm    ::: Re: It was 60 years ago today... Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Without the "October Surprise"- Reagan's campaign committing treason by sabotaging the Carter Admin.'s negotiations for release of the hostages, Reagan would not have been elected. If you commit treason to get elected- as Nixon did in '68- you're illegit, as is your "re"-election.

PostPosted: 09/27/17 10:05 pm    ::: Re: It was 60 years ago today... Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Without the "October Surprise"- Reagan's campaign committing treason by sabotaging the Carter Admin.'s negotiations for release of the hostages, Reagan would not have been elected. If you commit treason to get elected- as Nixon did in '68- you're illegit, as is your "re"-election.

You really HAVE gone off the deep end. Take a few deep breaths.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/28/17 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Pre Civil Rights this doesn't mean the same thing.

You mean pre-1964? I agree. Still, I stand by my statement.

PostPosted: 09/28/17 8:16 am    ::: Re: It was 60 years ago today... Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

You really HAVE gone off the deep end. Take a few deep breaths.

What's your usual response- something like, "Well, obviously you have nothing but gibberish to say on the subject because you can't accept the facts so I'm done with you"?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: