Board Junkies Forums

Indiana Fever 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 07/10/18 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Pondexter still has plenty to give Indiana and the W

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/24039016/at-35-veteran-wnba-guard-cappie-pondexter-plenty-give-indiana-fever

Quote:
Vivians, who helped guide Mississippi State to consecutive Final Fours in 2017 and '18, struggled on both ends of the court in the first half until Pondexter pulled the rookie aside during a timeout. A refocused Vivians scored 21 of her 27 points in the second half, her total being the most by a Fever rookie since Tamika Catchings in 2002.

"Cappie met her before she got to the bench and spoke to her," Chatman said. "She had a nice, calm manner, pointed out some things, and bam, [Vivians] went on a little run. It's different when it's coming from one of your teammates, someone you have respect for."

Maybe Cappie sticks around for another season in Indiana to help the rookies? Dupree sticks and maybe theyhe trade for Bonner?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 07/10/18 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/24039016/at-35-veteran-wnba-guard-cappie-pondexter-plenty-give-indiana-fever

Quote:
Vivians, who helped guide Mississippi State to consecutive Final Fours in 2017 and '18, struggled on both ends of the court in the first half until Pondexter pulled the rookie aside during a timeout. A refocused Vivians scored 21 of her 27 points in the second half, her total being the most by a Fever rookie since Tamika Catchings in 2002.

"Cappie met her before she got to the bench and spoke to her," Chatman said. "She had a nice, calm manner, pointed out some things, and bam, [Vivians] went on a little run. It's different when it's coming from one of your teammates, someone you have respect for."

As opposed to the coach?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/10/18 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, if they had this desperate need for a veteran voice, the purpose of Dupree remaining on this roster becomes increasingly mysterious.

PostPosted: 07/10/18 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

Cappie "I still got something left in the MFing tank" Pondexter!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/28/18 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cappie to play 1 more year after this according to twitter.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/28/18 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

My reaction to that was "if someone's willing to give you a contract to do it". It took the worst team in the league handing her a deal to be their 'veteran voice', and she's shooting a glorious 38% from the field at her highest usage rate since 2013 in New York (when the minutes could be going to the likes of Mitchell, other Mitchell, Wheeler et al).

Sometimes great players hang around for a bit too long...

PostPosted: 07/29/18 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

My reaction to that was "if someone's willing to give you a contract to do it". It took the worst team in the league handing her a deal to be their 'veteran voice', and she's shooting a glorious 38% from the field at her highest usage rate since 2013 in New York (when the minutes could be going to the likes of Mitchell, other Mitchell, Wheeler et al).

Sometimes great players hang around for a bit too long...

The Lynx front office should be taking notes from your post.

PostPosted: 07/29/18 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And do the Fever really need Pondexter next season with Johnson back?

PG: Wheeler/KMitchell
SG: Pondexter/Johnson
SF: Vivians/TMitchell/#13 pick
PF: Dupree/Mavunga
C: McCowan/Achonwa/Alexander

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/30/18 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
And do the Fever really need Pondexter next season with Johnson back?

No!

They should bring back Cappie nor Pokey.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 07/30/18 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Also, if they had this desperate need for a veteran voice, the purpose of Dupree remaining on this roster becomes increasingly mysterious.

Dupree most likely won't be there next year if something doesn't change re her family(Bonner and the twins) situation.

miller40

PostPosted: 07/30/18 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Dupree most likely won't be there next year if something doesn't change re her family(Bonner and the twins) situation.

She signed a multi-year so at least Indiana can get something for her.

Also, I don’t understand how Pokey ever thought Dupree would be a vet leader on this team. When had she ever shown that (or that she could defend a chair?)?

Randy

PostPosted: 07/30/18 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Despite all that - Indiana seems to have won the 3 team trade that brought Dupree to Indy in the first place (though, I thought it was dumb at the time.) Indy gave up Kizer and 8th pick (which became Briona Jones) and got Dupree. Phoenix got Camille Little. The only way Indy might have done better is had they kept the pick and Kizer and drafted Kaela Davis. So while Dupree has her shortcomings I think the Fever won the trade. Very Happy The Sun got Jones who has not been very useful and Kizer was troubled with back pain while the Mercury got Little who seems <Dupree. Plus, holding Dupree's rights gives Indy traded leverage in 2019.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/30/18 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you value Dupree over Breland (who you got for free)? I guess it all depends on how much you value defense and rebounding over offense.
I’m not sure how much winning one trade says if you can’t win games.
Hey, we won this trade so I guess we can throw away these players that still have some value.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 07/30/18 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, Phoenix needs a PF now. Trade Dupree for Phoenix's first rounder(#9/#10?). Player wise, Phoenix really doesn't have anyone Indiana would need. They'll take McCowan or Brown at #1. At SF they have Vivians & Johnson. At SG Pondexter & T Mitchell. And at PG Wheeler & K Mitchell.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/30/18 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Do you value Dupree over Breland (who you got for free)? I guess it all depends on how much you value defense and rebounding over offense.
I’m not sure how much winning one trade says if you can’t win games.
Hey, we won this trade so I guess we can throw away these players that still have some value.

I'm not a Dupree fan, but do think Indy came out ahead in a trade where she really was the only decent player involved. Dupree>Little>B. Jones........

I'd take Breland over Dupree because we are now winning.

I don't think they threw much away. They got Vivians for a past her prime January. NY fans seem to be happiest when Coleman is on the bench. It remains to be seen if Larkens has anything left in the tank, but we will get a chance now that she has gone to the Minnesota Dinosaur Museum.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/31/18 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Well, Phoenix needs a PF now. Trade Dupree for Phoenix's first rounder(#9/#10?). Player wise, Phoenix really doesn't have anyone Indiana would need. They'll take McCowan or Brown at #1. At SF they have Vivians & Johnson. At SG Pondexter & T Mitchell. And at PG Wheeler & K Mitchell.

First, can Phoenix handle Dupree, cap-wise? The salary for the draft pick is nowhere equal for the salary of a veteran performer like Dupree. To likely make this trade work, Phoenix has to include another player in the deal, money-wise.

Second, Wheeler at PG is not a great option - she is not a starting caliber PG in this league.

Third, Kelsey Mitchell can pass, but she is a scoring guard who can pass, not a point guard. And frankly, Pondexter would be a better option here, assuming she can be more of a playmaker like she was in NY (run a pick-and-pop with Dupree; run a pick-and-roll with Achonwa and have Achonwa finish or have KMitchell slide down to the corner for an open three, etc.)

Fourth, Tiffany Mitchell is a shooting guard who cannot shoot -- in three years, she has shot 35.4 percent from the floor and 26.4 percent from three.

Indiana needs a point guard and a dominant post presence - and Phoenix does not have either to offer.

miller40

PostPosted: 08/19/18 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
I hope we win 5 games this season.

Whelp. Lol

pilight

PostPosted: 08/19/18 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
miller40 wrote:
I hope we win 5 games this season.

Whelp. Lol

Careful what you wish for...