RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

GA TECH cops kill student

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/18/17 5:57 pm    ::: GA TECH cops kill student Reply Reply with quote

the kid was hardly a threat.

wtf is wrong with so many in law enforcement?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/georgia-tech-student-activist-shot-dead-campus-police-n802146

PostPosted: 09/18/17 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do campus cops have guns?

PostPosted: 09/18/17 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

For the same reason that non-campus cops and private security have guns.
pilight

PostPosted: 09/18/17 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:

The campus cops I'm familiar with don't have that kind of training. And really, I'm not entirely convinced that non-campus cops or private security need to carry guns in most situations.

PostPosted: 09/18/17 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What never gets addressed in these "cop shoots person with knife" incidents is that they are taught to fire into the chest - to shoot to kill. They never shoot the person in the leg to disable them.

I don't even remember campus security when I went to college, let alone some with guns. Then again, I can't conceive of having police or metal detectors in a high school like they have these days.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/18/17 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:

The campus cops I'm familiar with don't have that kind of training. And really, I'm not entirely convinced that non-campus cops or private security need to carry guns in most situations.

Training is important for anyone who carries a gun.

It's also true, as I recall, that most cops spend their entire careers without ever drawing their guns. However, a law enforcement or security officer can't know beforehand when the rare "situation" will present itself. We've had several instances around the world in the past few years of cops shooting terrorists and mass murderers in action, including some during mass killings at schools.

The Fraternal Orders of Police has recommended arming campus police for years, and increasing numbers of formerly genteel and anti-gun colleges, such as Princeton, are doing so.

Why?

Lots of layers, but the root answer is the steep declines over the past 40 years in family structure, Judeo-Christian religion and classical education; increasing social media brain-narrowing, if not brain-washing, and anomie; and hence intolerant self-entitlement, and moral, psychological and social dysfunction.

Resulting in violence.
pilight

PostPosted: 09/18/17 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:

It's also true, as I recall, that most cops spend their entire careers without ever drawing their guns. However, a law enforcement or security officer can't know beforehand when the rare "situation" will present itself. We've had several instances around the world in the past few years of cops shooting terrorists and mass murderers in action, including some during mass killings at schools.

The Fraternal Orders of Police has recommended arming campus police for years, and increasing numbers of formerly genteel and anti-gun colleges, such as Princeton, are doing so.

Why?

Lots of layers, but the root answer is the steep declines over the past 40 years in family structure, Judeo-Christian religion and classical education; increasing social media brain-narrowing, if not brain-washing, and anomie; and hence intolerant self-entitlement, and moral, psychological and social dysfunction.

Resulting in violence.

Except that violent crime rates are at historically low levels...

PostPosted: 09/18/17 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:

Why?

Resulting in violence.

Except that violent crime rates are at historically low levels...

Where, and where not? On campuses? If so, why are campuses arming?
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/18/17 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:

Why?

Resulting in violence.

I.e., Father Knows Best, Ozzie and Harriet, and Leave It To Beaver truly were the Right, Just, American Way. That period of time when Glenn was growing up.

PostPosted: 09/19/17 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Probably they don't want to be out gunned by the students. GA's Campus Carry law is now on the books and students can carry guns.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/19/17 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

They might be a police department. When I attended and worked at Purdue, for example, the campus police department was a full-fledged police department, on the same footing as other local, municipal departments. The West Lafayette Police Department did not have jurisdiction on campus, the PUPD did.

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 09/19/17 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here are some updates:

It looks like Shultz wanted to commit suicide by cop:
[url]
http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-tech-student-called-911-before-shooting-gbi-says/IpRruf8sI4yHwh7kL1sn4M/[/url]

Protests turn into riot:

http://www.ajc.com/news/three-arrested-violent-georgia-tech-protests-after-police-shoot-student/CVfX0KeBUlTPzYLCf3KnwO/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: