RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/18/18 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the defensive end Rudy Gobert might be a better comparison. He averages 10 rpg in 48 minutes so a little more than 8 per 40 minutes.

Griner could probably improve her rebounding a little bit, but her impact defensively balances it out pretty well.

Kind of like the offensive player who doesn't shoot the best percentage but gets to the free throw line at a higher rate than most.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/18/18 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
On the defensive end Rudy Gobert might be a better comparison. He averages 10 rpg in 48 minutes so a little more than 8 per 40 minutes.

Griner could probably improve her rebounding a little bit, but her impact defensively balances it out pretty well.

Kind of like the offensive player who doesn't shoot the best percentage but gets to the free throw line at a higher rate than most.

Yeah - the Eiffel Tower is probably a more fair comparison than a guy from ancient times. Smile

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/18/18 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rudy Gobert had the 11th-highest rebound rate in the NBA this season, reflecting what complete nonsense the idea that great shot-blockers don't rebound is. Capela was 3rd in block percentage, 5th in rebound-rate; Embiid 7th in blocks, 8th in rebounding; Howard 10th in blocks, 4th in rebounding - the list goes on.

For what it's worth, by my count Griner is currently 42nd in the WNBA in rebound rate (admittedly including several people who've played very few minutes). She's just below Cecilia Zandalasini.

PostPosted: 06/18/18 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Rudy Gobert had the 11th-highest rebound rate in the NBA this season, reflecting what complete nonsense the idea that great shot-blockers don't rebound is. Capela was 3rd in block percentage, 5th in rebound-rate; Embiid 7th in blocks, 8th in rebounding; Howard 10th in blocks, 4th in rebounding - the list goes on.

For what it's worth, by my count Griner is currently 42nd in the WNBA in rebound rate (admittedly including several people who've played very few minutes). She's just below Cecilia Zandalasini.

Right, because exceptions to the rule, mean the rule is bogus.

PostPosted: 07/02/18 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sancho Lyttle is done for the year with a torn ACL

PostPosted: 07/02/18 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Damn. Poor Lyttle.

Phoenix is gonna struggle without her.

Hoping for a for a fast and full recovery.

PostPosted: 07/02/18 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Confused Looked like a ACL tear right away. How her knee buckled. Hopefully she can get back to a decent level. She was having a pretty good season

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/02/18 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At her age, I have a feeling thats the last we’ve seen from Sancho Lyttle.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/02/18 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any word on Camille Little? She went down in the end of the game aswell.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
adamj95

PostPosted: 07/02/18 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's too bad for Sancho. :/

PostPosted: 07/02/18 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bad break for Sancho, but I hope this means more playing time for Gulich.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/02/18 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

that was my thought too as soon as I saw her go down. But who knows, she may be able to surprise us and return. It's just that it's likely to be two years and she'll be 37 then. hard cheese.

- Amanda Gorman
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/02/18 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

that was my thought too as soon as I saw her go down. But who knows, she may be able to surprise us and return. It's just that it's likely to be two years and she'll be 37 then. hard cheese.

Naw. She’s done. If they bring in Little to the starting lineup, they’re in trouble.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 07/02/18 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Naw. She’s done. If they bring in Little to the starting lineup, they’re in trouble.

Can they brin back Emma Cannon? Mister Bass? Maybe Bulgak?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/03/18 2:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Bad break for Sancho, but I hope this means more playing time for Gulich.

Their defense will take a hit with Sancho out

Randy

PostPosted: 07/03/18 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Could be a career ending injury for Sancho at least for the WNBA. She seems to have more success overseas so maybe she will just play in Europe if she makes a comeback.

As for the Mercury - will they try to make a deal to get a replacement PF? Seems to me that about now they must be regretting trading away DuPre and/or Harrison for players that didn't produce much.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/03/18 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
As for the Mercury - will they try to make a deal to get a replacement PF? Seems to me that about now they must be regretting trading away DuPre and/or Harrison for players that didn't produce much.

Who would they get? No contender is going to help them.

They traded away Candace Dupree and Izzy Harrison already. Glory Johnson is a non-option for this team. Kelsey Bone also burned her bridges in Phoenix. Kiah Stokes? Cheyenne Parker?

PostPosted: 07/03/18 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:

They traded away Candace Dupree and Izzy Harrison already. Glory Johnson is a non-option for this team. Kelsey Bone also burned her bridges in Phoenix. Kiah Stokes? Cheyenne Parker?

They could sign Emma Cannon or Larkins. They are on the short side of their position but they can help. Cannon would make sense because she is familiar with the team and their system.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/03/18 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking Larkins, if healthy. She is a rebounder which is what they will miss most from Sancho's absence. And she's not afraid to bang a bit as well.

- Amanda Gorman
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/03/18 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Larkins would seem to be a good fit for the team's biggest need - rebounding.

That being said, Phoenix presented a tough matchup defensively, going 6-4/6-5/6-9 across the frontcourt positions. Larkins is basically 6-1, and while she is a force on the boards for her size, she does not have the athleticism or leaping ability of a Lyttle, even at this stage in Sancho's career.

Kiah Stokes makes sense from rebounding, but can she defend mobile 4s? Does she have the shooting range to at least 15 feet on a consistent basis? And with what asset would Phoenix be willing to part to acquire her?

PhxPeace

PostPosted: 07/03/18 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

June 30 -- Minnesota Kizer, Lynette Waived; previously on Merc roster, would be a good addition, if healthy. Anyone know why Minny released her?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/03/18 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhxPeace wrote:
June 30 -- Minnesota Kizer, Lynette Waived; previously on Merc roster, would be a good addition, if healthy. Anyone know why Minny released her?

Probably the same reason PHX got rid of her as well Laughing

PostPosted: 07/03/18 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The rumor was that Larkins was signing with the Lynx. I still question whether Larkins has anything left in the tank, but under the Cappie rule - the player knows best.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/03/18 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Larkins would seem to be a good fit for the team's biggest need - rebounding.

That being said, Phoenix presented a tough matchup defensively, going 6-4/6-5/6-9 across the frontcourt positions. Larkins is basically 6-1, and while she is a force on the boards for her size, she does not have the athleticism or leaping ability of a Lyttle, even at this stage in Sancho's career.

Kiah Stokes makes sense from rebounding, but can she defend mobile 4s? Does she have the shooting range to at least 15 feet on a consistent basis? And with what asset would Phoenix be willing to part to acquire her?

You're not going to get someone who can give you everything Lyttle did without paying a hefty price.

My guess is that Camille Little will move into the starting lineup and they'll bring in someone like Cannon for insurance.

PostPosted: 07/03/18 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:

They could sign Emma Cannon or Larkins.

Can they? I thought a team had to be down two players to sign a replacement.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: