Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 02/08/18 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
would Phoenix offer Bone a high salary?

Obviously not.... you got table scraps for her.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/09/18 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
Third, while her offense and shot blocking/changing are MVP worthy, why does the 6'9" player get a pass on rebounding?

ClayK wrote:
As for No. 3, Griner has never been a particularly good rebounder, nor is she likely to become one. But the perfect player has yet to be born, so I think every team in the league would gladly put Griner at center, and deal with the rebounding issue.

Griner has never been a dominant rebounder or at least as dominating as one would expect for her size. Agreed.

But consider this...in her five-year career, she has blocked 487 shots, for an average of 3.3 blocks per game. She already ranks 8th in WNBA history in total blocks. By comparison, Syliva Fowles has blocked 532 shots in 272 career games; Griner has blocked 487 shots in 147 games.

If you are blocking that many shots, you very likely are not getting those rebounds (ball goes out of play, ball goes to another player). And for those 3.3 blocked shots per game, there are an immeasurable number of shots that she alters just be her mere presence in the paint or the threat of her blocking an opposing player's shot.

Last year, she put up 21.9 ppg, 7.6 rpg, and 2.5 bpg, while shooting 57.7 percent from the floor and 81.2 percent from the line. Sure, she may not be averaging 10 rpg like Tina Charles or Cheryl Ford, but she is developing into a dominant force on both ends of the floor.

And again, the number of her blocked and altered shots is incredibly impressive. If she is preventing the shot from reaching the rim or forcing the opponents to not take so many shots or take really awful ones because of her presence, does she also have to be the player to get those rebounds as well?

Just some food for thought.

mb1

PostPosted: 02/09/18 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very good points.

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
mb1 wrote:
Third, while her offense and shot blocking/changing are MVP worthy, why does the 6'9" player get a pass on rebounding?

ClayK wrote:
As for No. 3, Griner has never been a particularly good rebounder, nor is she likely to become one. But the perfect player has yet to be born, so I think every team in the league would gladly put Griner at center, and deal with the rebounding issue.

Griner has never been a dominant rebounder or at least as dominating as one would expect for her size. Agreed.

But consider this...in her five-year career, she has blocked 487 shots, for an average of 3.3 blocks per game. She already ranks 8th in WNBA history in total blocks. By comparison, Syliva Fowles has blocked 532 shots in 272 career games; Griner has blocked 487 shots in 147 games.

If you are blocking that many shots, you very likely are not getting those rebounds (ball goes out of play, ball goes to another player). And for those 3.3 blocked shots per game, there are an immeasurable number of shots that she alters just be her mere presence in the paint or the threat of her blocking an opposing player's shot.

Last year, she put up 21.9 ppg, 7.6 rpg, and 2.5 bpg, while shooting 57.7 percent from the floor and 81.2 percent from the line. Sure, she may not be averaging 10 rpg like Tina Charles or Cheryl Ford, but she is developing into a dominant force on both ends of the floor.

And again, the number of her blocked and altered shots is incredibly impressive. If she is preventing the shot from reaching the rim or forcing the opponents to not take so many shots or take really awful ones because of her presence, does she also have to be the player to get those rebounds as well?

Just some food for thought.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
mb1

PostPosted: 02/10/18 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2018/02/01/phoenix-mercury-bolster-defense-signing-power-forward-sancho-lyttle/1083861001/

Quote:
Bonner is a designated core player so the Mercury have exclusive negotiating rights with her. "We fully intend to have her back with us," Pitman said. "If we add her back along with Sancho, we can compete with anybody."

Others under contract with the Mercury for 2018 are Griner, Taurasi, Leilani Mitchell, Danielle Robinson, Stephanie Talbot and Alexis Prince. Emma Cannon, Yvonne Turner and Cayla George are reserved players, also under exclusive negotiating rights with the Mercury.

PItman said signing Lyttle does not necessarily prelude the Mercury from re-signing Camille Little, who started next to Griner in 2017. "We will have another big on our roster," Pitman said.

Pitman also expects to add a player who will make the team with the No. 8 pick in the first round of the WNBA draft in April.

Diana planned to have Maya replace her in Russia due to Penny's pregnancy. Injuries sped up the timetable, yet she should be rested.

Griner took it to a new level last season.

Bonner will return and not sit out or demand a trade (confirmed by a trusted, reliable source). This was key to playoff success.

Lyttle was added, Little returns.

Happy Cayla landed in a good spot. Bone was given away (along with her salary).

Petrovic says unfortunately not this season. Xargay is likely the same.

Bass doesn't know if/where she may land. *edit: Misty played well in Australia after having her son and hopes to play in the WNBA again.

2018 Phoenix Mercury Pre-Season Roster:

PG: MITCHELL, ROBINSON, D
SG: TAURASI, TURNER
SF: BONNER, TALBOT, PRINCE
PF: LITTLE, CANNON
C: GRINER, LYTTLE

ROBINSON, A
DRAFT PICK

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!

Last edited by mb1 on 02/10/18 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/10/18 2:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:

Grinder took it to a new level last season.

Bonner will return and not sit out or demand a trade (confirmed by a trusted, reliable source). This was key to playoff success.

Lyttle was added, Little returns.

I expect Griner to be in MVP talk all year. Little may not have put up great numbers but she also knew how to share the floor with Griner.

Everyone seems to expect that both Bonner and Dupree will play for the teams that cored them. I'm hoping they can steal some time together.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/16/18 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455

PostPosted: 02/16/18 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Petrovic and I doubt Xargay comes over either.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mb1

PostPosted: 02/16/18 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Petrovic says unfortunately not this season. Xargay is likely the same.

This quote from above was in reference to the tweet response.[/quote]

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/17/18 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Classy jumper? Shocked

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 03/06/18 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix roster at present:

PG: JANUARY, MITCHELL

A.Robinson
#12.

rebel_hydr_1914

PostPosted: 03/06/18 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm concerned about the dropoff at center. Griner will come in ready to roll and pick up where she left off last year. But if she's injured, like last year, who holds down the fort?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/06/18 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah I'm a little surprised A. Robinson hasn't been officially signed yet because she was a decent back up for Griner last year.

Vadeeva or Russell could still be available at #12, maybe Mavunga?

But I still think A. Robinson would be the best choice.

It also looks like Hamson might be available for free out of Indy

#12 and/or A. Prince for Stafford-McGhee?

rebel_hydr_1914

PostPosted: 03/06/18 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Playing against Griner in practice will help anyone we have as her backup to improve. However, the focus should be on a rebounder. Someone who can bring the power of Griner but focus on the boards more. A. Robinson was good in that way. I'm not sure that Mercedes gives us that...but I've seen TN players really show their skills in the W in a way that I never imagined while they were at TN (e.g., N. Anosike). I can't imagine that McCowans will be taken as high as projected. Though, as an Ole Miss alum I throw up a little in my mouth saying this, I'd vote for her based on size and rebounding ability. Mvunga is a close second.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/06/18 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That would actually be a pretty solid looking roster if someone could convince me that January, Taurasi, Little & Lyttle have some gas left in the tank.

PostPosted: 03/07/18 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree! It looks like right now the focus is on winning....NOW. There are obvious positive and negative consequences of that strategy.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/07/18 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Yeah I'm a little surprised A. Robinson hasn't been officially signed yet because she was a decent back up for Griner last year.

Seeing her un-signed makes me wonder if she is going to be the naturalized Spanish player for their World Cup run.

Randy

PostPosted: 03/07/18 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Seeing her un-signed makes me wonder if she is going to be the naturalized Spanish player for their World Cup run.

No thanks on that trade for Imani - we would be selling low (after buying high - yikes). We could get probably Prince if we wanted her if she gets cut by the Mercury. 16 is only 4 after than 12 and whoever gets picked could well be a bust.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/07/18 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Wrong country; Robinson is 'Montenegrin'. Spain's choice is still between Lyttle and Ndour as far as I know.

PostPosted: 03/07/18 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I certainly hope Sancho gets selected to play for Spain, now that she's on the Mercury.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/07/18 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Wrong country; Robinson is 'Montenegrin'. Spain's choice is still between Lyttle and Ndour as far as I know.

Oh, oops. Thanks.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/07/18 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
Phoenix roster at present:

PG: JANUARY, MITCHELL

A.Robinson
#12.

Sancho Lyttle is a power forward, not a center. She played PF next to Elizabeth Williams in Atlanta. Williams is an undersized center with more limited range, whereas Lyttle is a taller power forward with greater range.

Offensively, Lyttle should complements Griner more than Camille Little, as Camille was not able to finish well close to the basket and did not have good accuracy away from it. Plus, Lyttle is a much better rebounder and overall athlete than Camille.

That being said, Lyttle turns 35 this year. Phoenix has to hope that injuries and durability are not issues.

mb1

PostPosted: 03/10/18 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saw a beautiful photo of Mario and Liliana with their grandson. Congrats to Dee and Penny. Reports say Leo arrived March 3rd.

Edit: The date was March 1st.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!

Last edited by mb1 on 03/25/18 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/10/18 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
Saw a beautiful photo of Mario and Liliana with their grandson. Congrats to Dee and Penny. Reports say Leo arrived March 3rd.

So they are keeping up with the Messi theme Laughing Congrats with the little one

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
rebel_hydr_1914

PostPosted: 03/11/18 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very excited for them!!

Shades

PostPosted: 03/15/18 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought there was a separate topic for this, but I couldn’t find it.

https://instagram.com/p/BgXkNzsF2yX/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15

Jump to: